“That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.”
|Birthplace||Uz Sabahnuor Archipelago, Leya-I|
- Full Name: Rune Jolara
- Race: Al-Leyan
- Date of Birth: 236311.18
- Age: 30
- Place of Birth: Uz Sabahnuor Archipelago, Leya-I
- Gender: Female
- Telepathic status: T4-E4 - See Telepathic/Empathic Scale
- Height: 167.64 cm (5'6")
- Weight: 61.235 kg (135 lbs)
- Hair Color: Blond
- Length of Hair: Shoulder length
- Eye Color: Amber in the Light - Silvery Blue in the Dark
- Skin Tone: lightly tanned
- Build: Athletic
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Rune has become fond of casual human fashion.... faded jeans and tank tops.
- Voice: Soft, lightly accented
- Handedness: Ambidextrous
- A blazing sun on the back of her neck.
- A colorful phoenix on the back of her left shoulder.
- Birds in flight on and around her right ankle.
- Birthmarks, Scars :
- She has a 3" long scar on her stomach and 4 2" perpendicular scars on her left thigh, all from a childhood accident.
- 7 tiny, perfectly round 3mm scars evenly spaced down her spine, from the base of her skull to her lower back. (Result of modified Attitude Readjustment Therapy)
- Quarters: Rune's quarters are simply and minimally decorated in modest earth-tone colors, with standard-issue furniture. There's a simple Al-Leyan tapestry, a gift from her mentor, hanging on the wall and a few small sculptures and plants scattered about on the shelves. Lighting is kept at 50% and the environmental controls are adjusted to provide a more comfortable living environment.
- Habits/Mannerisms: Slight tilting of head when trying to understand something. Clenching of jaw when trying to hide anger or annoyance.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Follows religious, spiritual, cultural beliefs and laws of The Fallen Branch but has recently began to question her beliefs.
- Physical Limitations: As with all Al-Leyans, she has a poor sense of taste and smell. Her visual acuity is reduced in daylight/brighter conditions. Because the Al-Leyan homeworld has a denser atmosphere than that produced on StarFleet vessels, Rune requires steroid based medication to counter the symptoms of asthma she suffers from breathing the thinner atmosphere.
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias): Hates closed in spaces when it relates to man made constructs. Ironically, she is fine when it comes to natural spaces such as caves.
- Temperament: Calm, outgoing and cheerful, yet quiet at times.
Ambitions and Goals
- Ambitions and Goals: To better understand the psychology of other humanoid species.
Personal Achievements and Disappointments
- Achievements in Life:
- Being the first Al-Leyan Counselor to serve aboard a Starfleet ship.
- Being the first Al-Leyan to switch 'branches' in moving from Counselor to Intelligence. Although her specialty is still in psychiatry and behavioral science.
- Disappointments in Life:
- Never being able to return to her homeworld.
Hobbies and Pastimes
- Rock climbing
Likes and Dislikes
- Very spicy foods... with limited taste, the spicier the better.
- Masala Chai tea (one of the few beverages she can taste)
- Being outdoors (nature).
- Being active (bores easily).
- Cruelty of any kind.
- Practical jokes - Rune fails to understand how anyone can find amusement in
someone else's discomfort or embarrassment.
- Being pushed.
- Not fond of Klingons due to old Al-Leyan feud.
- Replicated food... it has no taste.
- Marital Status: Single
- Children: Krystyan Jolara - Son
- Carers:: Gatra Aneth, Nechaid Neic, Adir Lucr, Aronn Cener
- Mentors:: Dura Refa, Laro Susell
- Siblings:: Thayara Bethath, Kelsia Ratholth, Jendar Tellinn
- Father: Krya'l
- Mother: D'aomi Jolara
- Blood Siblings: Kestrial Domier (mother)
Friend: Chief Science Officer - Duronis II Embassy
Lt. Cmdr. T'Lea and Rune have what could be considered a love/hate friendship. T'Lea is one of the few people Rune trusts completely and she's the only one who knows about the Attitude Readjustment Therapy Rune was forced to have when she was 16. Having been invited to T'Lea's wedding to Ambassador Della Vetri, Rune used the opportunity to give T'Lea a data chip in the form of a pendant. The data chip is Rune's insurance policy against her mentor. However, neither women know the full content of the data chip or the damage that could be done if the information is revealed.
During a mission, The Unturned Stone, their friendship took a turn for the worse when under the control of ancient lovers they slept together. This was the catalyst for the separation of T'Lea and Della. Naturally, T'Lea blamed Rune.
Friend: Chief Counselor - USS Veritas
Lt. Cmdr. Raissa Moonsong and Rune's friendship developed slowly. At first, Rune purposely kept distant. But following a series of traumatic experiences which awakened her telepathic ability, Rune subconsciously reached for Raissa's stability and control. In doing so, they formed a connection.
Following an especially trying mission which involved being swept back in time, several of the Invicta crew were reassigned or given the option to take a six month leave. During her leave, Rune visited Raissa at her family farm on Earth. There Rune helped her friend through an emotionally low time even though, or perhaps because she, herself, was running from her own emotional demons following the loss of her fiancé. It was also on that visit that Rune asked Raissa to be the godmother of her son, Krystyan.
Special Note: Al-Leyans don't usually pursue romantic relationships unless they are going through what is called seasons roughly every 4-5 years, generally lasting 4-8 days. may have one or several mates in one season and may have different mates from season to season and may not even keep in touch with a mate after the season ends unless conception occurs. As they mature they learn the value of companionship and many settle down with a mate and the companionship can last anywhere between a few years to the rest of their natural lives.
Ex: Medical Officer aboard USS Veritas
Rune had been struggling with the idea of having a relationship with Dr. Nikki Ryan. Her hesitation stemmed from the fact that her attraction to women and mating outside her race (species) is strictly forbidden in Al-Leyan society. Even though she has broken ties with her people, she still struggles with allowing herself to actually be free to live the way she wants.
Things got rather complicated when Rune began experiencing an early on-set of season*, which was somehow triggered by having a foreign compound or hormone injected into her system. The compound was discovered by Nikki and Dr. Anen Sonbef. However, Nikki's involvement was against Rune's wishes. Feeling that Nikki overstepped her bounds, Rune ended their friendship/relationship. Though they have since resumed a cautious friendship.
With her friendship with Nikki ended, Rune had no one else to turn to for help. That was until Lt. Cmdr. Collim Kieran came to talk to her after noticing that something was wrong. Rune confided in her and Kieran offered to help, no strings attached... 
A couple months later, things got even more complicated (if that's even possible). Rune found out she was pregnant... how, who and why is still unknown, though Rune has her suspicions.
Shortly after Krystyan's birth and before she had the opportunity to see him, Kieran was murdered. With the help of Kieran's sister, Denari, Rune discovered Kieran's murderer was her Haemachuo sibling, Jendar Tellinn.
- 236311.18: Rune was born and immediately taken to the nearest Haemachuo center to be raised.
- 237312.05: At age 10, she met her biological mother and blood sister for the first time.
- 237907.29 - 237912.16: Underwent Attitude Readjustment at Sabahnuor Attitude Readjustment Center, Leya-I.
Being a conservative and practical race and as a result of only mating every few years, Al-Leyans do not value same sex pairings. They consider the purpose of the seasons and mating to be to produce offspring. For similar reasons contraception is prohibited. Al-Leyan females are brought up to believe that carrying children is natural and good, it is something to enjoy and look forward to. With babies being taken from parents at birth it could be said that having children has a minimal impact on the Al-Leyan mother’s life and branch progression.
If someone falls out of line and doesn't follow this or other laws or behavioral policies established in the Fallen Branch, efforts would be made by friends, family and advisors or mentors to make such a person see reason. If they refuse to mend their way of thinking then they would have to have attitude readjustment therapy (or reconditioning) to correct the problem.
And that's where Rune's problem comes in... she is attracted to women, not men. She's never acted on it but just having the attraction is a no no in Al-Leyan society. So when she first confided in her mentor, 10 years ago she underwent what was suppose to be attitude readjustment therapy. However, during an away mission, Strange Acquaintances she was exposed to a hallucinogenic compound which caused a break down of what was actually done to her. Through flashbacks and returning memories, she realized the therapy was far more than normal, though she has yet to discover everything that was done or the real reason why it was done to her.
Once her memories came back, she confronted her mentor who, in turn, demanded she return home to undergo the therapy again. Rune refused and cut off communication with her homeworld. The problem now is, she's terrified of the Al-Leyans Council will send someone for her and force her to have the therapy.
Pertinent Sims regarding Rune's "Attitude Readjustment Therapy"
- 238108.04 - 238308.16: Attended Medical School Majoring in Psychiatry, Leya-I
- 238308.30 - 238408.30: Clinical Residency at the Sabahnuor Medical Facility, Leya-I
- 238409.02 - 238507.31: Internship at the Sabahnuor Attitude Readjustment Center, Leya-I
|STARFLEET SERVICE RECORD
|AWARDS & COMMEMDATIONS
USS Avandar 238909.11 - 239012.29
USS Garuda 239012.29 - 239103.20
USS Excalibur-A 239103.20 - 239109.06
USS Apollo-A 239109.06 - 239202.16
USS Excalibur-A 239202.16 - 239205.04
USS Doyle-A 239205.04 - 239107.19
USS Apollo-A 239107.19 - 239302.14
USS Invicta 239302.15 - 2393xx.xx
USS Veritas 239312.06 - Present
"May the sun shine upon you and warm winds carry you on your journey."
|NPC Listing · USS Veritas Crew Manifest · Crew History