- Stardate 239302 to 239303
- This mission kicks off the War of Shadows fleetwide plot arc, with Invicta serving as the 2393 FWPA Phase 1 lead ship.
When the Charles Lindbergh, a quantum slipstream starliner carrying an important Federation official, is hijacked by colonial extremists, the Invicta is ordered to respond. But is there more behind the hijackers' demands? The War of Shadows has begun.
- Anari Kthria, the Trill Chief of Staff and former presidential candidate who is traveling aboard the Charles Lindbergh on her way to chair a conference between the Federation and the Colonial Coalition.
- Gabriela Cariño, the leader of the colonial extremists that have hijacked the Charles Lindbergh.
- Shiarn, a hired mercenary and Cariño's second-in-command
- Tamir Kadosh, the helmsman of the Charles Lindbergh and a Starfleet veteran of the Dominion War.
- Kinan Venroe, a Starfleet Personnel officer traveling aboard the Charles Lindbergh, taking a holiday.
- Lily Ventu, the newly-appointed Secretary of the Exterior for the United Federation of Planets. Just days into her new position, Secretary Ventu heads out to the frontier to deal with the crisis.
- Zoranna Tem, Kthria's personal assistant.
- Oana, a Risian singer and bartender aboard the Charles Lindbergh
- Charles Lindbergh starliner, a quantum slipstream drive-equipped civilian starliner operated by Unity Transport with 2,300 passengers and 1,000 crew members aboard.
Colonial extremists hijacked the quantum starliner Charles Lindbergh, taking her 3,300 passengers and crew hostage. The Lindbergh had made her maiden voyage from Vulcan to Ramatis III in late 2392, as the first of Unity Transport’s new quantum slipstream fleet. She was on her way to Anoria XII when sector traffic control suddenly received a mayday distress call from the starliner before all communications cut off.
Shortly after, the hijackers, led by known criminal and extremist Gabriela Cariño, made their demands known, having secured their apparent prime target: Trill Chief of Staff Anari Kthria, who was on her way to Anoria to chair a conference on colonial affairs.
“I have many, but we can start with the dissolution of the Kalandra Reconstruction Authority, and the Federation to stop stealing resources that belong to the border words,” said Cariño in a message to the USS Invicta.
Federation President Narala dispatched her new Secretary of the Exterior, former ambassador Lily Ventu, to the area to assess the situation and see that the crew of the Invicta negotiate an end to the standoff peacefully, or otherwise resolve the crisis.
Commander Roshanara Rahman, still serving as acting CO of the Invicta ordered a team, led by Ambassador-turned-Captain again Della Vetri to take the USS Tiger-A (which was equipped with a quantum slipstream drive, unlike the Invicta) and proceed under radio silence to chase after the wayward transport vessel. The Tiger sent security and rescue teams aboard the Lindbergh in an effort to capture Cariño and her associates, but they discovered the presence of explosives. The Tiger then successfully disarmed the explosives thanks to engineer Lt. Cmdr. Luna Walker, and the passengers of the Lindbergh were safely evacuated to Deep Space 10.
Despite the heavy operation, the hijackers successfully escaped and remain at large. Meanwhile, the USS Garuda and Invicta were attacked by unidentified cloaked vessels. After working how to discover these vessels through their cloaks, Commander Rahman sent a team to disable the ship from the inside. Though a small firefight ensued, the craft was captured without further incident. Charges are still to be laid with its crew facing interrogation.