|Position||Assistant Chief Science Officer|
“If I have a thousand ideas a year, and only one turns out to be good, I am satisfied.”
- For alternate universe counterpart, see Jovenan (alternate).
Lieutenant JG Jovenan is an Edo Starfleet officer. She is currently serving as the Assistant Chief Science Officer aboard the USS Artemis-A. Born on the Edo homeworld in 2373, she enrolled in the University of Hurkos in 2390, when the planet was ending its isolation. Upon graduation with degree in Planetary Sciences, she entered the Starfleet Academy. In 2399, she received the commission as ensign and was posted on the USS Excalibur-A, later transferring to the Artemis with much of the Excalibur crew.
- Height: 157 cm
- Weight: 51 kg
- Hair: Blonde
- Eyes: Green
Early life and education
Jovenan was born on Rubicun III, the Edo homeworld. She was raised communally, common in her home region. She had a happy childhood, but as she grew up, she found she had no desire for intimate relations, an important aspect of Edo culture. While the other members of her community were accepting of her, she started to feel herself an outsider in her own culture. This roused her longing to leave Rubicun III.
In 2390, she was accepted to University of Hurkos Bachelor Programme in Planetary Sciences. Pending the permission of the Edo God and governance to leave the still partly isolationist planet, the university allowed her to participate in education remotely from Rubicun III. She excelled in her studies, and she was eventually allowed to leave for Hurkos III. The life in the campus was, however, too large a cultural shock for her, and she also faced harassment due to her culture. She faced mental difficulties, and her grades plummeted. Her community back home pleaded her to return, and she eventually agreed. She spent almost a year on Rubicun III before returning to Hurkos III to complete her remaining studies. This time she passed as human, which made it easier for her to concentrate on studying, and she graduated in 2395.
After graduation from the University of Hurkos, she became interested in Starfleet and the possibility to explore strange new worlds. She joined the Starfleet Academy in 2395. Her decision to major in science had been obvious to her before applying to the Academy. Already having a degree in Planetary Science, she chose to broaden her skill set and specialize in something new to her, namely astronomy and xenobiology. She completed a minor in Communications and Operations. She didn’t actively hide her being an Edo anymore, but with so many humans around, very few had reason to think she wasn’t one too. She had almost perfect record in sciences but struggled with the mandatory combat and piloting courses.
She completed Starfleet Academy final examination at the Starbase 118 Campus. The examination was supervised by training officer Commander Genkos Adea, assisted by Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix. She assumed the role of the science officer of USS Centris-A during an away mission on Durosa, where they had received a distress call.
Jovenan was first assigned to USS Excalibur-A, a Vesta class explorer. She was happy to join a vessel with extensive scientific facilities, but she was also uncertain of the Borderlands, the area of operation of the Excalibur.
Her introduction to the ship had to be postponed, as the ship was in middle of a diplomatic mission. After the delegates were poisoned, Jovenan joined the crew she didn't know yet to identify the source and find a cure. She met more of her colleagues during the following shore leave. The leave was however cut short as two officers went missing and were later kidnapped by a group of Klingons wishing to destroy the Excalibur. Jovenan and her colleagues discovered data on their location and status, providing the bridge vital information that helped in avoiding the destruction of the ship. She was awarded her first service ribbons thereafter.
Along with many other officers and crewmembers of the Excalibur, Jovenan was transferred to the Luna class explorer USS Artemis-A in 240002. She first boarded the ship after the brief shore leave on Deep Space 224 wearing her new skant uniform.
Their maiden voyage was to Meranuge IV, where a meteor had hit the city of Tecra. Their relief efforts were cut short after the locals and telepathic crewmembers became aggressive under the effect of Da'allium dust. After the discovery of the cure and a shoreleave on the planet, Jovenan was promoted to Lieutenant JG. During a drill-turned-fight against pirates, Jovenan showed her skills in operating multiple different systems. She was then appointed the Assistant Chief Science Officer.
Jovena is generally shy, although she has grown bolder over the time in Starfleet. Her bad experiences after moving out of her homeworld made her avoid touching other people and being too close with anyone, easily blaming herself of violating others' personal area. Even after her graduation from the Academy, Jovenan was skittish about senior officers. While her "fear" of them has diminshed as she has become more familiar with the crew and she has risen in ranks, she still tends to be formal around them.
She enjoys running. She has taken a habit of going for a run in the ship's Fitness Centre, although she would prefer runs or longer treks in nature. The limited space on the ship and social expectations prevent her from running everywhere, which she prefers over constant walking. This sometimes makes her feel confined.
For cultural and health reasons, Jovenan eats typically vegan food. She isn't opposed to eating meat or other animal-based food, but won't do so without a reason.
Having grown up with strict Edo law, which at the time required death penalty for all crimes, Jovenan has had difficulty in adjusting to the more relaxed moral code. She has poor tolerance of misbehaviour and may sometimes mentally judge people for their missteps from the legal codes. Still, she can also be not as black-and-white as she was raised to be, understanding that some actions might be necessary even if not strictly within the letter of the law.
Jovenan is a follower of the Edo religion. Since the Edo God is a physical, albeit transdimensional, entity, she and the most Edo consider them a part of the reality and not as much something that needs to be believed in. Jovenan has a religious symbol in her quarters, and she prays occassionally.
While on service, Jovenan typically wears the skant variant of the Artemis standard sciences division uniform. She opted to wear the skant variant due to comfort and familiarity to the Edo clothing, despite having suppressed her Edo habits in public. If needed in cooler environments, she also has the basic version of the uniform, in addition to the thermal layers provided my Doctor Adea when she first joined the Excalibur. She typically wears her hair tied to a ponytail or similar style with a blue hair tie.
During off-hours when alone, she prefers to don more typical Edo clothes, such as her light pink romper. She has no problem wearing such revealing clothes when alone or with other Edo, but never wears them with off-worlders due to their reactions. When in civilian clothes with off-worlders, she usually wears typical Earth clothes, such as trousers, t-shirts and skirts.
She has an Edo Community leader's necklace, which she received from her family. She wears it often under the uniform turtleneck.
Jovenan's quarters are located on Deck 3, Sector 03, Compartment 17. She had lived in shared quarters on a lower deck while an Ensign, although the second berth had happened to be empty for the entire duration. After being promoted to the Lieutenant JG, she moved to the upped deck with senior officers, to her own quarters.
As of yet, she doesn't have many items to decorate her room with. She has some flowers, an Edo religious symbol and books around the room. She often listens to Edo music in the privacy of her quarters.
|Jarer and Saven
Caring parents, different ideals
|Jovenan's parents love and support her very much, even if they don't always understand her. |
Jovenan: I was… I didn’t always fit in. I love my family and my home, and they love and care about me, but I didn’t always have the same… mindset about everything. They respected it, but I still felt an outsider.
|1 full brother, 3 maternal half-siblings, 4 paternal half-siblings||Supportive older siblings. Lovable little scoundrels for younger siblings.|
|Several other communal parents and siblings||Being raised communally, Jovenan considers many of the older adults in her community her parents and kids her age her siblings.|
|Hiro joined the Excalibur soon after Jovenan, and they have served together since. Finding Hiro easy to approach, Jovenan has spent much time with him, including freejumping across empty space and watching stars in the Astrometrics. During one emotional discussion, Jovenan admitted viewing the crew as family and called Hiro her brother, a title he was happy to receive. |
Jones: Jovenan, listen very carefully. One: You never ever have to apologize for being your genuine self with me. I will never judge you for it, hold it against you, or think any less of you for it. I will always be someone with whom you can be free and honest, ok? That's a promise. Two: I never had any siblings. I didn't really even have many friends until fairly recently. I'm thrilled to be called your friend, and it is the highest honor I can think to be called your brother.
Valued colleague, great supporter
|Jovenan and Kawarda both serve as science officers on Artemis, and Excalibur before that. Kawarda has come in her rescue in more than one occasion, and she values greatly his work and support. |
Kawarda: Ensign Jovenan, you did a good job. You should be proud of yourself. ::a pause to consider:: Would ... you like a hug?
Highly regarded colleagues
The adventure maker
|Jovenan's first XO on the Excalibur and CO on the Artemis. Jovenan didn't meet her until after her rescue mission and learnt quickly to appreciate her dedication. |
Jovenan: Th- Thank you for your confidence, sir. I’ll try to live up your expectations.
MacKenzie: Expectations, perhaps not. More like, possibility. I will say that you’ve demonstrated critical thinking and good judgment in your time here so far. That counts for a lot in my book.
Early source of reliance
|Not only is Adea Jovenan's CMO on the Excalibur and the Artemis, he was her Academy final training officer. This made him the first approachable officer after assignment. |
Adea: You want to know everything there is to know about Genkos, eh? ::he chortled:: Well, I’m not going to tell you everything I’ve ever done - we don’t have enough time, and there’s several past girlfriends, and at least one boyfriend who wouldn’t be best pleased.
Man of Metal
|During their first shared mission on Artemis, Silveira took punches and even an sword through him. Impressively, he continued to direct Jovenan with clear and sensible orders. |
Silveira: I am truly very proud of you. You are one of the best officers I ever served with. And an example to follow. ::He raised his finger as if to add a point.:: Correction your an example I follow. Very well done.
Jovenan: ::confused, blinking fast:: I… Excuse me… sir?
Action hero with a soft side
|When Jovenan first met him, she wary of him. After a partially failed covert mission Jovenan had gotten herself into, Dakora came to their rescue. Jovenan noticed that he wasn't the dangerous spy charicature after all.|
You will always remember your first captain
|Nicholotti became Jovenan's first CO when she was assigned to the Excalibur. Even though they have only met a few time, Jovenan holds her in great respect. |
Nicholotti: =/\= Well, you've done great getting us this far, Ensign. Thank you. =/\=
|Jovenan had worked with Seta in conditions where neither of them were too sure about themselves. Not only that, Seta has amazing counselling skills that can soothe even Jovenan. |
Seta: I think being scared is very normal, and having doubts is... normal too. The last few weeks were a lot more stressful than life in Starfleet has any right to be. I was scared too, or at the very least unsure what to do, and I've been in Starfleet for a while now.
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
- Let's Get Down To Business, Cmdr. Genkos Adea, Academy Holodeck 1, 239911.01. Requires access.
- All this story needs is a confused ensign, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 239911.09
- From cadet to project leader in a week, nice, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 239911.19
- Finally, a real Doctor, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 239911.30
- The Best of the Best, Cdre. Nicholotti, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.02
- Out and into the abyss, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 239912.04
- The long walk across the edge of eternity, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 239912.08
- Newton's laws of motions and why we hate them, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 239912.14
- And they walked into the sunset, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 239912.16
- This time without mysterious viruses, hopefully, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 239912.02
- It's Getting Hot In Here, So Put On Some More Clothes, Cmdr. Genkos Adea, USS Excalibur-A, 239912.04
- Am I in charge here?, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 239912.30
- Go., Cdre Nicholotti, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.01
- Did I do something?, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.12
- The Beacon of Hope and Despair, Cdre Nicholotti, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.10
- LOG 002459-38, Beacon, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.12
- Prima inter pares, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.13
- Scientific Engineering, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.17
- The Brittle Barrier of Life and Death, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.18
- Remorse of Authority, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.20
- Enlisted Resourcefulness, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.22
- The Threads of Duty, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.24
- The best thing an ensign can do, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.26
- Still sitting in a shuttle, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.31
- Crewmembers and emotions are out, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.02
- Three-step safety failure, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.13
- This is just a simulation. You can do it., Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.15
- Click Trip Boom, Ens. Hiro Jones, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.15
- This is not how it should end..., Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.18
- The Song of Nebulæ, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.09
- The Astrometrics Movie Stars, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.12
- When We're Scared, Lt. Seta, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.14
- ...but the life goes on, Ens. Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.18
- New beginning, new deck layout, Ens. Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240002.20
- The Roll Call of the Semi-Skilled, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240002.22
- I always do my homework just before the class, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.01
- Collision in a faraway orbit, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.03
- Just another geological curiosity?, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.07
- The Pain of the Unknown Knife, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.12
- Crowd Chaos, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.16
- There's something in the air and it ain't love, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.18
- There are only bad options in chaos, Ens. Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.21
- Level failed, Ens. Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.23
- Knight to D7, checkmate!, Ens. Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.25
- They shot him down, bang bang, Ens. Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240003.29
- A "good job" is not enough when lives are at stake, Ens. Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.03
- The one where the disco ball is approved, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.04
- Time to answer for our actions, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.08
- To denounce the evils (of truth and love!), Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.13
- Sunshine, Ens Jovenan, 240004.16
- Honoring Traditions (Part 1), Cmdr Addison MacKenzie, USS Artemis-A, 240005.19
- Intentions unknown, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.18
- Above my paygrade, Ens. Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.21
- To find what is lost, do not to look for it, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240005.02
- My mission, should I choose to accept it…, Ens Jovenan, 240005.09
- Lower decks venture, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.19
- Size might not matter, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.24
- Walks to walk and stories to tell, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.27
- If it looks like a prey..., Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.28
- Suspicious visitors, Rennol & Kireeh, USS Artemis-A, 240004.28
- Direct approach, Rennol & Kireeh, USS Artemis-A, 240005.02
- Ranger at range, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240005.03
- Playing with fire, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240005.07
- Descent into to the Sorrowful Depths, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240005.11
- From the abysmal pit I have risen, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240005.19
- Bye bye, Meranuge hills, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240005.23
- Plans for the evening, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240004.28
- More questions than answers, Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240005.05
- P.S. I miss you (part 2), Ens Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240005.15
- Honoring Traditions (Part 2), Cmdr. Addison MacKenzie, USS Artemis-A, 240005.19
- Drilling through the Nebula, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240005.27
- Yellow is mellow, red is dead, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240006.03
- In a haystack, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240006.05
- Please have your boarding passes ready for the flight to Berlin, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240006.08
- You take fries with those fried sensors?, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240006.10
- Playing with plasma because fire isn’t hot enough, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240006.17
- Eye of a fire storm, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240006.20
- When the fun turns to tears, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240006.08
- Enemy within the mist, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240006.28
- Well planned is half done, but the rest is just as important, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.02
- Let it flow, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.05
- What is that and where can I get one?, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.07
- Should have taken more biochemistry classes, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.10
- Let's safe the day, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.11
- A flaming sword across the darkened land, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.13
- Final acts of desperation, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.15
- Deus ex machina transportationis, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.18
- Momentary Recognition, Cpt Addison MacKenzie, USS Artemis-A, 240009.03
- The faraway worlds, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.20
- Please no food or beverages in the sensor area, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.20
- We're All Broken Within, Brother, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.22
- Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240007.25
- First time teacher here, how do I grade a test?, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240008.01
- A rescue from loneliness, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240008.19
- You’ll never stop worrying about your family, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240008.21
- Of Laws, Morals, and Family, LtJG Jovenan, 240008.23
- I would rather..., LtJG Jovenan, 240008.27
- Reprimand of a kind, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240008.22
- Pranked! (Gone nice) (Gone wholesome), LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240008.25
- I will have my payback, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240008.28
- The Limbo, LtJG Jovenan, 240008.01
- There's almost 400 people aboard, I can't know them all, LtJG Jovenan, USS Artemis-A, 240008.23
- Prank and praise., Lt Vitor Silveira, USS Artemis-A, 240008.23
- Longing for the Paradise, Ens Jovenan, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.10
- Catharsis, LtJG Hiro Jones, USS Artemis-A, 240007.24
- Just a Pointy-Eared Teddy Bear, Ens Kawarda, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.02
- Just Roll With It, Cmdr. Addison MacKenzie, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.07
- Getting Personal, Cmdr. Genkos Adea, USS Excalibur-A, 239912.05
- And They All Fell Down, Cdre. Kali Nicholotti, USS Excalibur-A, 240001.12
- When We're Scared, Lt. Seta Jinean, USS Excalibur-A, 240002.14
|NPC Listing · USS Artemis-A Crew Manifest · Crew History