Lieutenant Commander Jocelyn "Jo" Marshall is a party-hard, mellow and strange Human currently serving as the First Officer aboard the USS Gorkon, the flagship of the Tyrellian Defence and Exploration Taskforce. The USS Gorkon is her first posting outside of Starfleet Academy and her Cadet Cruise. Life on the fringes of space between three factions of the Galaxy has not been an easy undertaking, to say the least. Jo has put as much of herself into the ship as possible, which includes, but is not limited to, blood, sweat, tears, and the occasional shared beer smooshed into the Cargo Bay deck plating.
- Height: 1.72m (5'8)
- Build: Athletic, Lean
- Hair: Dark Blonde
- Eyes: Blue
- Length of Hair: Long, Shoulder Length, Usually tied back
- Skin Tone: Lightish
- Birthmarks, Scars, Tattoos:
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty):
- Open flannel shirts, jeans, old military style pants, vintage band t-shirts, boots that should be cleaned more often, canvas trainers, jumpers.
- Vintage black jacket from Earth with United Kingdom patch on the arm. Prized possession.
- Voice: Mainly English accented, though can have Bajoran inflexions on certain words. Voice is quite gravelly. She speaks fluent Bajoran and slips into the language when she feels like it.
- Temperament: Doesn't take herself very seriously, prefers to break tensions, will argue her point as good as any. When faced with a challenge, she'll play hard and play to win. Has a dark sense of humour and speaks sarcasm fluently. Resourceful and always trying to think a step ahead. Optimistic, not naïve. Tells outrageous jokes. Feels connected to music. May seem disorganized sometimes, but there's a lot going on in her brain. A strong hearted loyal friend. An undeniable smartass with a kind soul.
- Dislikes: Time wasters, small talk, grudges, inactivity, failing.
- Carriage: When busy, she walks with purpose, a woman on a mission. When relaxed, casual and slowed down a notch. Matches the speed of anyone she's walking with as she does tend to walk quickly without realizing it.
- Mannerisms: Crosses her arms and chews on her lips when thinking. Leans on one leg or on a nearby surface if she can get away with it. Runs her hands through her hair. Kicks her boots up on desks wherever possible. Has her hands in her pockets when feeling relaxed. Tends to high-five and fist bump people she likes.
- Quarters: Kept tidy, as much as possible, with a variety of personal effects. A Springball usually around somewhere she throws about when thinking. Holoimages of her family, friends, Academy Decathlon team and her Bajoran Springball team are on her desk. Her motorcycle is currently parked in the corner. The Admiral knows.
- Hobbies: Plays Springball, restores vintage motorcycles and cars, listens to all kinds of music from everywhere. More on her Hobbies and Pastimes below, if you're interested enough.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: None of note, though she tends to lean toward Bajoran spiritualism when times are tough.
Ambitions and Goals
- Aspirations: Not an overly ambitious person, Jo is happy doing her thing and contributing to her ship as much as possible. She serves under a great Rear Admiral she thoroughly respects and can't see herself anywhere else in the near future. As for goals, making it to 2396 would be nice.
- Achievements: Achievements are not something Jo tends to collect many of - usually forgoing accolades for anything in return for a beer in a quiet bar where shenanigans can commence. The proudest moment of her life, and one she stuck around long enough for was graduating from Starfleet Academy in the top Engineering bracket for her year. Living in the "other universe", and surviving it, with the help of friends and the Yarahla Nine is definitely up there with those achievements and life wins she has stashed away in her mind. While the year forged friendships and bonds like no other, it was still tough going and brought Jo to the brink of some questionable thoughts. She doesn't have too many disappointments of note, yet, which might possibly be more to do with her optimistic nature than actually skimming the wings of a setback.
- To see all the exciting relationships Jo has made in her short time on the USS Gorkon, or to know exactly who has the patience to put up with her singular brand of lunacy, go to the Full Article: Relationships
Like one would collect Springball player stickers, Jo collects people. That's not to say she reduces them to a two-dimensional state and glues them into books. She is a happy, party-hard Officer, and loves spending time with the people she truly cares about. She will encourage anyone to do some kind of karaoke on shore leave, or dance naked in the Trill forests while eating a taco. Approach with caution.
Partner Erin Reynolds Offspring None that she's aware of. Parents Robin Marshall (Mother), Luther Marshall (Father) Siblings Orson "Bear" Marshall, George Marshall
Likes and Dislikes
- Springball: A hangover from her days playing professionally for Bajor, she tries to find new players to practice with or strong-arming her friends into a game.
- Mechanics: Engineering projects on the sidelines include maintenance of a Terran motorcycle and car that she enjoys taking out when they get chance.
- Tiny Plants: A recent addition to her hobby list is cultivating seedlings. She hasn't broadened her horizons past growing one at a time yet, out of fear she'll kill them all.
- Meditation/Yoga: When she needs less noise and more centering, she quiets her mind with meditation and yoga.
- Athleticism: She has maintained the habit of keeping fit from her days of professional sports and holds it a big part of her lifestyle, including cardio training and weightlifting.
Food and Drink
- Makapa Bread: A Bajoran foodstuff usually consumed as a breakfast meal. She can eat this at any time, in any place, with the crust - a childhood belief it would make her terribly straight hair curly. Spread with jumba jam, it's like a slice of toasted heaven.
- Coffee: Self-explanatory for a Starfleet Officer. When "Over There", during rationing, she weaned herself off the beverage, down to one mug a day. It destroyed part of her soul.
- Hasperat Soufflé: Another Bajoran dish from her childhood home usually made with whatever fruit was in season. If you want to get on her good side, bring her a soufflé with cream.
- Losing Friends and Family: In the grand sense of the word, Jo is afraid of her friends and those she considers family dying, in action or otherwise. After suffering so much loss during their "Over There" time (see: Annus Horribilis, Part 2), she keeps her friends close to her heart. You would think it would be a catalyst to do the exact opposite, but she's never been one to conform.
- Small Spaces: Jo was involved in a mining collapse during her apprenticeship on Volan III. The roof of the cave came down during an earthquake, burying the young woman under the rock and shattering her shoulder - the result of which was pulling out of professional Springball. She also suffered the fatal curse of the first mission Ensign Panic Attack™, in which Ayiana Sevo managed to bring her out of before she let herself out of her EVO Suit and became one with open space.
Her parents were deployed as part of Starfleet's ongoing efforts to maintain the demilitarised zone and repair some of the damage that had been caused during the occupation of Bajor. Many Bajorans that Jo encountered had first-hand experiences of the war and what it had done to their home and people. Growing up among adults that had seen the end of a war, witnessing many of the problems the Dominion had caused, formed Jo into a well-rounded individual from a young age. Seeing the end of the occupation meant a return to Federation standards of living and the Bajorans cultivated the colony to thrive.
Jo enjoyed many pursuits in her young age, including travelling throughout the planet, mountain climbing, surfing and diving, as well as the national pastime of Springball. Once she got a taste for the game, and the intricacies of shots, she was hooked. Playing throughout her school years and through her teenage life, sports and studies kept her busy. She was often seen running from one campus to another with her Springball glove or part of a machine she had disassembled from something. When she could compete on the tournament circuit, she started running competitions professionally, playing for Volan III at the championship matches held throughout the galaxy, giving her the chance to see the universe outside of her home.
There was the initial option of prolonging her foray into professional sports, however, a mining collapse halted her progression due to a dislocated shoulder that was not easily remedied. Seeking something to keep her mind busy, she turned her attention to her other great love - Engineering.
The interest in engineering she had taken started from a young age, under the influence of her mother and father, both Engineers in Starfleet within specialised fields. Her mother enrolled her in a part-time apprenticeship as she started her middle school years, working for the large mining operation within the mountains. On finishing school for the day, if there wasn't a sports practice, Jo would grab one of the worker shuttle transports to the mines and begin shadowing one of the many mining engineers, usually Bajoran. Within a few months, she had picked up the Bajoran language and could work without the Universal Translator. She was a hard worker, being both focused and driven to finding new ways of accomplishing old tasks and new solutions to recurring problems.
Given her first motorcycle at fifteen, the first thing she did was take it apart to see how it all worked, before putting it back together and going for a spin up the mountain paths. This only fueled her drive to find bigger problems, bigger engineering tasks, in which only Starfleet could offer.
Enlistment in Starfleet
After her enlistment into Starfleet Academy, Jo was a capable Engineer from the start and learned quickly. She chose to Major in Engineering, specifically Warp Theory, and minor in Operations to coincide with her abilities to multi-task, effectively making her a humanoid multi-tool.
Taking on board her experience and talent for the work, she was deployed to the Fleet Operations Center to carry on her training while working on emerging technology in the field of Operations. Working tirelessly to prove herself in the Academy's arena, she became one of the leading Engineers in her graduate year; a moment she is very proud of. Upon completion of her Cadet Cruise, she requested deployment to Starbase 118 Fleet.
Arriving on the USS Gorkon mid-mission (see: Annus Horribilis (Gorkon), the crew transport Jo was on hurtled through a fissure in space and arrived with the ship on the other side of an alternate universe.
They rescued who they could from the alternate USS Triumphant; battled the Jem'Hadar fleet; persevered through months of rationing and cannibalising abandoned vessels for supplies; losing crew members to raids and away team missions, and finally getting home after forging an uneasy alliance with the Romulans.
Jo is still feeling the aftershocks of this misadventure, as are many of her friends and colleagues who survived, and it will no doubt have a bearing on her life in the future.
|Cadet, Fourth Class||238909.01
|Cadet, Third Class||239009.01
|Cadet, Second Class||239109.01|
|Cadet, First Class||239209.01|
|Chief Operations Officer|
Click the mission tiles below to expand or collapse summaries.
A collection of posts that give an insight into Jo's life, head, work, and habits. Click to expand.
For specific SIMs relating to people, see Jocelyn Marshall/Relationships. Or don't. It's your call.
Stardate 239304.10 - 239308.30
- Ensign Jocelyn Marshall - Aftermath
- In the aftershock of an explosion that ripped through Main Engineering, Jo finds herself trying to stem a mortal wound in a PO, and helplessly watch as she slipped away.
- Ensign Jocelyn Marshall - Where's the Grass?
- Hopping over to the derelict and half-destroyed USS Galaxy for a spare parts run, Jo finds herself in the midst of the classic Ensign Panic Attack™ and trying to remove her helmet mid space walk.
- JP: LtJG Tonya Lang & Ensign Jocelyn Marshall - Survivor's Fortune Part One,Part Two.
- What do you do mid-brownout rather than drink tea and make a friend? A rare glimpse into a long conversation "Over There". A Bajoran and an honorary one, bonding over a mutual love of springwine.
- Ensign Jocelyn Marshall - Slowly Keeping it Together
- In the between months of escaping the Dominion "Over There" and receiving a signal from their own universe that might be their ticket home, Jo finds herself lost in her own head in the quiet.
Stardate 239308.30 - Present
Starting a Career in their Home Universe, Among Other Insanities
- LtJG Jocelyn Marshall - Crazy, Crazy, Car-azy Nights
- After a tiring mission, and falling asleep in her office, Jo has a brief discussion along the lines of lasagna with the Ops staff, while Planetary Customs transports a car into her Quarters.
- LtJG Jocelyn Marshall - Sandwiches Everywhere
- A hangover, a banana bag, a terrible bedside manner, and the intense longing for a sandwich.
- NPCs The Role Players - Roll Again for Damage
- In a deep, dark, hallowed sanctuary known locally as the deck six Cargo Bay, four friends begin a game of twisted fate and prophesized destiny... or, they play a version of D&D set in twentieth-century Earth.
|NPC Listing · USS Gorkon Crew Manifest · Crew History