- This article uses standard naming conventions for Joined Trill. The unjoined individual is correctly referred to as Yogan Verso. The Joined individual is correctly referred to as Yogan Yalu. The given name Yogan is correct when referring to both.
Yogan Yalu (né Verso, born 15 April 2362, age 38) is a male Joined Trill officer in the Federation Starfleet, currently holding the rank of lieutenant commander and serving as first officer aboard the USS Artemis-A.
- Full name: Yogan Yalu
- Race: Trill (Joined)
- Date of birth: 15 April 2362
- Place of birth: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Earth
- Age: 38
- Gender: Male
- Relationship status: Single
- Health: View medical record
- Height: 200 cm
- Weight: 137 kg
- Hair color: Light brown
- Length of hair: Short, pointy
- Eye color: Blue
- Skin tone: Fair
- Birthmarks, scars: None
- Legs: Two
- Build: Large, sturdy, chonk
- Carriage: Informal, balanced
- Taste in clothing: Dresses for cold weather; prefers long shirt sleeves and trouser legs
- Voice: Tenor
- Handedness: Left (right-handed prior to being Joined)
- Physical limitations: None
Yogan Yalu's personality is a complex amalgam of personalities–that of his former unjoined self, Yogan Verso; that of Yalu, the symbiont to which he is Joined; and those of the symbiont's previous hosts. Like all Joined Trill, Yogan underwent years of training to ensure that, once Joined, the symbiont would complement, not overwhelm his own personality.
Yogan is an innate idealist, and possesses a nearly inexhaustible optimism. His belief that all people are inherently good occasionally causes conflict in his professional life; he struggles to understand why good people suffer. He dislikes the constraint of arbitrary rules, and tends to support creative thinking and the rights of others to do as they please. He tends to give the benefit of the doubt whenever possible. Yogan struggles to accept challenges and criticisms as opportunities to better himself; rather, he can take them personally and become mired in self-doubt. Yogan wants to be liked, and avoids conflict if he can, preferring to adjust himself rather than risk confrontation with another person.
Since joining, Yogan's symbiont and former hosts have influenced his personality, creating a more extraverted, pragmatic, and social individual, but also one prone to impulsive decisions, cynicism, and a flair for the dramatic. He is proud to have been selected for joining, and he thinks often about how his memories and experiences will influence Yalu's future hosts. He also wonders whether he measures up to his predecessors.
- Temperament: Positive, balanced; not prone to wild mood swings or extreme emotions
- Quarters: Room 04-0302, not super personalized
- Favorite place:
- Habits: Bites his lip when deep in thought; prefers to refer to fellow officers by rank instead of name or honorific; Mishears things often
- Religion or spiritual affiliation: None
- Hobbies and pastimes: Betazoid literature (particularly the psychodramas), Folk wrestling
- Preferred foods: Cheeseburgers
- Preferred drinks: Yogan Yalu seldom drinks alcohol. Enjoys raktajino, glurch, and kobheerian cola
- Fears: Looking stupid in front of people.
- Ambitions and goals:
- Achievements: Skilled pilot, Doctor of Medicine, lovable goof
Likes and dislikes
- Snarky hologram characters
- Terran golf
Yogan Yalu is an enthusiastic fan of a particular genre of Betazoid literature, the psychodrama. He reads them voraciously and is always looking for a new one. He also regularly updates his FedReads profile with the books he is currently reading, has recently completed, or wishes to read:
- Embers Within Ashes by Levralet Izun (2395): The winner of the 2396 Rixx Prize for Fiction contains sharp prose and a carefully crafted plot. Kept me guessing right up until the end. ♦♦♦♦♦ [Completed 239709]
- Thoughtless Winter by Levralet Izun (2396): The sequel to Embers is boring, boring, boring. I had to drink four raktajinos just to get through chapter three. ♦ [Completed 239710]
- The Zest of Life by Beidol Tro (2384): Some ups and downs with this one. Treesa was a fascinating character but Valko's lack of redemption was a let-down. ♦♦♦ [Completed 239802]
- My Kingdom of Thirst by Eicrun Maasu (2390): The cliffhanger was a shocker. I was so disappointed to find out the author died before finishing the sequel. ♦♦♦♦ [Completed 239805]
- Built for Sin by Idel Roidek (2376): Even dirtier than I expected. ♦♦ [Completed 239806]
- Ever a Never After by Ha Unonis (2394): Pretty good, although I could tell what Jadia was planning in chapter 3. ♦♦♦ [Completed 239807]
- The Belonging Season by Beidol Tro (2387): Oh, this sucked. ♦ [Completed 239809]
- Once Upon an Us by Beidol Tro (2389): I was reading this one when the ship I was serving on got destroyed, so I was a little distracted. Seemed pretty good, though. ♦♦♦ [Completed 239810]
- Dearest, You Said by Iko Rezu (2381): I can't remember ever being more engrossed in a book. ♦♦♦♦♦ [Completed 239811]
- Dangerous Nettles by Iko Rezu (2383): Dangerous Nettles leaves me unsettles. ♦♦♦♦ [Completed 239904]
- Mirror Mine by Axanim Barna (2380): I saw myself in this book. ♦♦♦ [Completed 239909]
- The Impossible Spindle by Eror Kenariw (2393): More like The Impossible to Finish. ♦ [Completed 240005]
Currently reading: One Temptation by Eror Kenariw (2395)
Some psychodramas on Yogan's list to read in the future include:
- By Invitation Only by Ehar Mennimi (2388)
- How to Steal a Heart by Isekel Craan (2377)
- Diva Season by Kiti Onoil (2399)
- Sense and Sensuous by Pam Fatch (2399)
- Be Your Own Imzadi by Pam Fatch (2400)
- See Yalu (symbiont)
Yalu is a symbiont–a sentient vermiform lifeform–who has lived symbiotically inside hosts of the humanoid Trill species. Yalu was born in the Caves of Mak'ala on the Trill homeworld in 2030, and was Joined to a host for the first time in 2140. The joining of Yalu to Yogan Verso in 2392 created a new, unique individual–Yogan Yalu. Yalu's eighth humanoid host, Yogan, carries the memories of Yalu's seven previous hosts, who include a subspace radio operator, a farmer and artisan weaver, a famous actress, and a member of the Trill Senate.
- Rytela Flight School: Grodor, Trill
- Matriculated: 237305.10
- Graduated: 238001.22
- Certification: Pilot qualification (Starfleet Level 1 Equivalent, Stardate 237511.30)
- Certification: Pilot qualification (Starfleet Level 2 Equivalent, Stardate 237802.01)
- Certification: Pilot qualification (Starfleet Level 3 Equivalent, Stardate 238001.22)
- University of Chi'tar: Chi'tar, Trill
- Matriculated: 238107.01
- Graduated: 238606.30
- Degree: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
- Major: Medicine
- Minor: Astronavigation
- New Scirapo University Teaching Hospital: New Scirapo, Trill
- Matriculated: 239010.05
- Graduated: 239111.13
- Program: Emergency Medicine and Critical Care Fellowship
- Starfleet Medical Academy: San Francisco, Earth
- Matriculated: 239307.01
- Graduated: 239706.07
- Degree: Doctor of Medicine
- See Starfleet Academy transcript of Yogan Yalu
- See Professional history of Yogan Yalu, 2397, 2398, 2399, and 2400
Yalu's Starfleet career began on Stardate 239307.01, when he entered Starfleet Medical Academy in San Francisco at the rank of Cadet 4th class. During his first year, he excelled in medical ethics, clinical fundamentals, and immunology, but struggled with genetics. Outside of his medical studies, he continued his flight training, earning high marks in starship navigation.
On Stardate 239407.01, Yalu began his second year of medical studies at the rank of Cadet 3rd class. During this year, he succeeded in the subjects of medical and life support systems and diagnosis, but had his biggest professional failures as well, earning a D+ in non-humanoid surgery, the lowest mark of his Academy career. He concluded his flight training during this year, receiving the equivalent of an undergraduate minor in navigation.
Yalu's final two years at Starfleet Academy were largely successful, although he continued to struggle in surgical classes. He graduated from the Academy on Stardate 239706.07, with a Level 5 pilot's qualification, an M.D., and a commission at the rank of Ensign.
Yalu graduated from Starfleet Academy in June and was posted to the USS Atlantis as a medical officer. Five weeks later, he was transferred to the USS Resolution–which was re-entering active service–as a helm officer. In July, Resolution encountered the derelict USS Unity, whose computer systems had been commandeered by a space-dwelling lifeform. In September, Resolution visited Da'al, a non-aligned planet in the Borderlands, where the crew was instrumental in preventing a coup d'état. In December, Resolution was searching for a missing freighter in the Celendi Nebula when they were transported more than 200,000 years into the future.
In 2397, Yalu was awarded four service ribbons. He was also promoted from Ensign to Lieutenant JG on Stardate 239712.08.
The year 2398 began with the USS Resolution still in the far future, attempting to rescue the crew of the freighter Andalucia from enslavement at the hands of the Sau. They succeeded in rescuing a large number of them, but Yalu was haunted by the fact that some were left behind. Upon their return to the present, Yalu began preparing to undertake zhian'tara, the Trill Rite of Closure, and invited several of his crewmates to participate in the ritual with him. In February, Resolution attempted to negotiate a peace agreement between the Nascaik and the Thama, who both claimed Vionus IV as part of their sovereign territory. After a terrorist attack nearly destroyed the ship, the crew successfully concluded the peace treaty between the surviving diplomatic representatives.
In April, Yalu returned to Trill with four of his crewmates, and completed his zhian'tara. The following month, when Resolution was sent into the Briar Patch to search for a missing Starfleet science ship, they crash landed on a planet inhabited by an advanced form of non-corporeal life, whose manipulation of energy caused a disruption in the relationship between Yogan (host) and Yalu (symbiont). The illness persisted for several months thereafter. In July, Yalu, along with the rest of Resolution's crew, was trapped in a time loop at the hands of a Q.
In 2398, Yalu was awarded 7 service ribbons. He was also promoted from Lieutenant JG to Lieutenant on Stardate 239805.04, and from Lieutenant to Lt. Commander on Stardate 239809.15.
On SD 240007.10, Yalu was promoted to first officer of the USS Artemis-A.
|Starfleet Service Record
Awards and commendations
As of 2400, Yogan Yalu has been decorated by Starfleet 30 times, having received 11 awards and 19 service ribbons. He is a three-time recipient of the Explorer's Ribbon and a two-time recipient of the Peacekeeper Service, First Contact, and Legacy ribbons.
- An overdue call – Stardate 239706.10 – Newly-commissioned Starfleet ensign Yogan Yalu calls home.
- Family Ties, Part 1 and Part 2 – Stardate 239707.27 – Yogan discusses the recent changes in his family with the ship's counselor.
- The old that is strong does not wither — Stardate 239709.30 — Yogan remembers his parents' reaction to his Joining.
- Bee yourself — Stardate 239802.21 — While repainting the hull of Resolution in a workbee, Yogan recalls his early flight training as a teenager.
- SIM: LtCmdr Yogan Yalu – Glima for dummies
- SIM: PNPC C2 Hamsan Dwich — Vulcan’t buy me love: he was about to sit at an unoccupied table when he noticed Lieutenant Yalu eating a cheeseburger in the far corner of the room.
- SIM: LtJG Yogan Yalu — Plans for Days: Yogan continued on toward the transporter pad, thinking of the cheeseburger he was going to order when he got back to the ship.
- SIM: LtJG Yogan Yalu — Maple Sarep: Well, he was a nice enough bloke. Although he did interrupt me while I was eating a cheeseburger.
- SIM: Lt Yogan Yalu — Imprisoned on a 23rd century Klingon Ship: If they survived this ordeal and returned to normal space, he’d show his gratitude by inviting her out for a cheeseburger or something.
- SIM: Lt Yogan Yalu — An extraordinary life: Sometimes I just want to kick my boots off and eat a cheeseburger.
- SIM: LtCmdr Yogan Yalu — Old friend, new friend: They ate in silence for a few moments, and the fires of Yogan’s appetite reignited in earnest with the first bite of the best burger he’d had in some time. It was an explosion of taste, a symphony of seasonings and spices, a Picasso of trans-galactic cheeses, and it immediately turned his mood around. Other people’s heads might be turned by a witty joke in a crowded bar, or a handsome face smiling from across a room. Yogan, however, knew with certainty that if and when his “KaliKos” ever came along, he’d be holding a cheeseburger.
- SIM: Lt Yogan Yalu — I just like wearing it: He just liked wearing it. It was a sensible, workmanlike garment, suitable for a variety of conditions. It fit him well, which for a person of his stature was always a concern, and he felt good about himself in it. Perhaps most importantly of all, he was proud of it, having worked hard to earn the right to wear it. He was certain the momentary embarrassment of his faux pas would dissipate quickly. Hopefully he wouldn’t be sent back to his quarters to change before being allowed to join the party.
- SIM: JP Ens Yogan Yalu & Ens Mirkl Zanti — Join me for a chat, Part 1
- SIM: Ens Yogan Yalu — Thoughtless winter
- SIM: LtJG Yogan Yalu — Slogan Yalu
- SIM: LtJG Yogan Yalu — Separately together
- SIM: LtJG Yogan Yalu — Built for sin
- SIM: Lt Yogan Yalu — Rabitat for Romulanity
- SIM: Lt Yogan Yalu — Back to work
- Be Your Own Imzadi was a title suggested by Aine Sherlock.
- SIM: JP LtCmdr Genkos Adea & LtCmdr Yogan Yalu — Now you've done it
|NPC Listing · USS Artemis-A Crew Manifest · Crew History