Dr. Roshanara Rahman is the 40-year-old commanding officer of the USS Syracuse. She is also a project manager for the Starfleet Corps of Engineers and a Starfleet Academy instructor. She previously served as an engineer aboard the starships Shanghai, Tempest, Pioneer, Mercury, and Garuda, and was chief engineer of the latter two vessels. She served as first officer to Fleet Captain Aron Kells aboard the Garuda and USS Invicta.
Born on Moselina IV, a busy trade stop located near Krios Prime, the Kriosian homeworld, Roshanara's birth parents gave her up for adoption, and a human couple took her in, named her, and raised her back on Earth in the city of Lahore. Often mistaken for a Trill due to her Kriosian spots, she joined Starfleet because of her interest in starship design and engineering, an interest that has not come without a cost as she was gravely injured early in her career from a major accident that required lengthy rehabilitation.
Stats & Service Record
||VS - 108 - 427
||Starfleet Academy, Beta Ursae Minor II, 2374-2378
||Science - Physics
|Supplementary Data File
|Starfleet Service Record
||2378 - 2380
||Starfleet Academy, Beta Ursae Minor II
||Master of Engineering Candidate
|2380 - 2382
||2382 - 2383
|2383 - 2387
||Leave of Absence; Daystrom Institute of Technology
|Doctoral Candidate in Engineering sponsored by the Starfleet Corps of Engineers
||2387 - 2388
|2388 - 2389
||Assistant Chief Engineer
||238909.16 - 239007.19
|239007.20 - 239009.02
||Chief Engineer and Second Officer
||239009.03 - 239011.01
||Chief Engineer and Acting First Officer
||239011.02 - 239012.24
||Chief Engineer and Second Officer
|239012.25 - 239103.17
|239103.18 - 239107.23
- SD 239107.23: Placed under investigation by StarBase 118 JAG.
- SD 239108.03: Arrested on charges of sabotage and treason.
- SD 239110.07: Acquitted of all charges but declared unfit for duty.
- SD 239112.14: Appointed a civilian position as project manager for the Starfleet Corps of Engineers.
- SD 239204.17: Cleared for active starship duty.
|239204.17 - 239206.18
|First Officer & SCE Project Manager
|239206.19 - 239302.07
||239302.08 - 239304
||First Officer & SCE Project Manager
|239305 - Present
- The Legion of Merit, 2389
- In recognition of Roshanara's actions in the aftermath of the bombing aboard the USS Mercury during the Klingon Invasion of 2389.
- Gold Lifesaving Ribbon, 2389
- Joint Meritorious Unit Award, 2389, 2392, 2392 (3rd Citation)
- 2389: In recognition of the crews of the USS Mercury, USS Apollo, and StarBase 118 Ops and their service in the resolution of the tri-ship mission into Thracian and Romulan space.
- 2392: In recognition of the capture of Harrison Ross through the combined efforts with Cardassian security led by Glinn Lukin Zorkal.
- 2392: In recognition of the combined efforts of the USS Invicta and alternate USS Ronin-A to seal a quantum fissure threatening to destabilize the Menthar Corridor.
- Klingon Invasion Ribbon, 2389
- Purple Heart, 2390
- Good Conduct Ribbon, 2391
- Prisoner of War Ribbon, 2391
- Gateway Ribbon, 2391
- First Contact Ribbon, 2391, 2392
- 2391: In recognition of the USS Garuda's first contact with the Kubarey.
- 2392: In recognition of USS Garuda's first contact with the Peppalexans.
- In recognition of the USS Garuda's venture into Kubarey territory.
- For efforts to rescue crewmembers lost in the past, reconfiguring the transporter to beam them back through time.
- Department Chief Ribbon, 2392
- For having served as a department head (Chief Engineer of the USS Mercury and USS Garuda) for at least six months.
- Starfleet Academy Graduate Ribbon, 2392
- Defense of Temporal Flow Ribbon, 2392
- In recognition of USS Garuda's efforts to minimize the temporal damage caused by Peppalexa's reappearance and prevent its destruction by temporal fragments.
- Prometheus Ribbon, 2392, 2392 (2nd Citation)
- 2392: In recognition of USS Garuda's participation in Phase 1 of the Prometheus Incident campaign.
- 2392: In recognition of USS Invicta's participation in Phase 3 of the Prometheus Incident campaign.
- Excellence in Training Ribbon, 2392
- For having completed the requirements to become a certified training officer of the Training Team.
- Peacekeeper Service Ribbon, 2392
- For participating in a mission to ensure the peace between the Va Wreth and the other members of the Astrofori One project.
- In recognition of the efforts against Harrison Ross and his compatriots, thwarting their plans to disrupt the President's State of the Federation Address and the opening of Astrofori One.
- Quantum Reality Service Ribbon, 2393
- For having participated in a mission in an alternate reality, specifically, when the Invicta discovered a reality where the Federation had lost the Dominion War.
- War of Shadows Ribbon, 2393
- In recognition of USS Invicta's participation in Phase 1 of the War of Shadows campaign.
- The Sarpeidon Award, 2389
- The Neelix Award, 2389
- Scotty Cross, 2390
- Pathfinder Award, 2392
- The Strange Medallion, 2392
- Rising Star Award, 2393
- Q Award, 2393
Invicta Service Pennant
In addition to her Kriosian spots, Roshanara carries an extensive set of scars from a major accident aboard the USS Tempest
- Height: 161 cm (5'3")
- Weight: 56 kilos (123 lbs)
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Green
- Skin Tone: Brown
- Handedness: Right
- Species-Specific: She displays the typical Kriosian spot pattern, which runs from her temples to the back of her neck and down to a point about midway along her spine. This pattern looks similar to and is often mistaken as that of the Trill; however, Kriosian spots are typically more subtle in their contrast to the overall skin tone and do not continue down across the front of the chest and along the lower limbs.
- Scars/Physical Trauma: Roshanara was seriously injured in 2383 from a major accident that occurred aboard the USS Tempest. She required lengthy rehabilitation at Medical Starbase 253, and her Kriosian physiology was not as responsive to standard dermal regeneration treatment. She has a set of scars on the left side of her face, and her left arm was so badly damaged from exposure to plasma coolant that the medical team initially feared they would need to replace it with a prosthetic. They were ultimately able to salvage the limb and restore function through the use of myoelectric implants to supplement destroyed nerve and muscle tissue. Her fourth and fifth fingers on her left hand were amputated and replaced with mechanical substitutes. Though she now has full use of her left limb again, extensive scarring remains all along the hand, arm, and shoulder. She normally keeps these areas covered, with only the scars and mechanical fingers of her left hand remaining as hints of the past trauma.
Roshanara is often assumed to be shy because of her rather reserved demeanor. For instance, while she won't refuse a handshake, she is much more inclined to offer a simple nod or slight bow in greeting. Her close friends, though, recognize her actual impishness underneath. She does enjoy meeting people, but she prefers to wait until she gets to know someone better before opening up. She tends to play off of the other person in a conversation, creating relaxed, playful banter in some cases to more restrained exchanges in others. Her sense of humor is decidedly dry.
Roshanara's professional domain is Engineering, and when she is on-duty as the Mercury's chief engineer, she adopts a rather direct and assertive style of command. While she encourages a friendly atmosphere in the workplace, she nonetheless expects professionalism from all of her staff, who refer to her by either rank or as the Chief. The only exceptions are SCPO Reez and recently Dr. Niccolò del Vedova, who can get away with calling her by nickname in front of her staff. She prefers "ma'am" to "sir."
In addition to her technical prowess, she also is quite good at reading faces and working with others, which has helped her in her professional development and when she has had to lead project teams.
- USS Invicta: Deck 4, Section 2
- Auxiliary Napping Spot: The couch in front of Mei'konda's console on the bridge.
- USS Garuda: Deck 35, one of only two cabins on the deck and rather modest accommodations for an officer of her rank and position, but it conveniently places her near Main Engineering (Deck 36)
- USS Mercury: Deck 17, a bit remote for a senior staff member but just two decks below Main Engineering on the Mercury.
When not in uniform, she prefers casual, modest dress and can often be found roaming the corridors in anything from jeans and a plain t-shirt to a comfy salwar kameez or sari.
- A stuffed animal rhinoceros won for Roshanara by Kevin Breeman at the Stardust Fair on the holodeck on SD 239011.03. Named "Charger" by Breeman, the rhino mostly hangs out around Roshanara's office in Main Engineering.
- A pirate's hook given to her by the Garuda Engineering Department in acknowledgement of her performance as Captain Hook in a Peter Pan pantomime presented to the crew on DS17 in early 2391.
- A heavy pewter model of the Phoenix, Zefram Cochrane's warp ship, given to her as a gift from her teacher Obaid Amir upon her acceptance to Starfleet Academy and the Starfleet Engineering School in 2374.
- Dietary Restrictions: She tries to follow halal guidelines when possible. For instance, she does not drink alcohol.
- Coffee: with cinnamon and cardamom
- Favorite Swuit Stick Flavor: Breshen
"Charger," mascot for the Engineering Department
- Hobbies: Reading, writing, pocket billiards, playing pranks on people
- Favorite Color: Green
- Singing/Musical Ability: Non-existent, though if you catch her in a particularly good mood, you might just catch her breaking out into "dance" to the embarrassment of those around her
In her off hours, Roshanara particularly enjoys reading fiction to escape both reality and technical journals. She is an avid writer herself and has maintained a personal journal since childhood.
Roshanara also enjoyed going to the theatre as a child, and one of the highlights of her career was working in late 2390/early 2391 with Francois Maréchal-Ferrant. Visiting DS17 through the United Service Organizations, the legendary thespian directed the Garuda staff in a pantomime for the crew to boost morale after several tough missions, including the near-loss of the Mercury.
- Spouse: None
- Children: None biologically
- Birth Parents: Unknown
- Adoptive Father: Issam Rahman (born 2317)
- Adoptive Mother: Najwa Rahman (born 2320)
- See subpage for full relationship listing.
Early Life and Starfleet Career
14-year-old Roshanara in 2371
Roshanara Rahman was born on SD 235612.15 on Moselina IV, a busy trade stop located near Krios Prime, the Kriosian homeworld. Her birth parents gave their newborn up for adoption. A human couple, Issam and Najwa Rahman, took in the child as their own (and only) daughter.
The Rahmans were told that because the child would not receive the typical Kriosian diet in her adoptive home, they were to give her daily medication to supplement her development (medication which she continues to take to this day). Indeed, despite the efforts of her parents, Roshanara's adult height of 161 cm (5'3") is notably less than that of the typically tall Kriosians.
The new family returned to Earth, and Roshanara was raised in the city of Lahore. Growing up, she knew she was different from the locals, but because Kriosians shared many physical similarities with humans, she did not feel ostracized on her adopted homeworld. As a child, she did tend to wear her hair in such a way as to cover her spots, yet even if they were noticed, most people often mistook the quiet but friendly young girl as a member of the more familiar Trill species.
Ensign Roshanara Rahman, on her way to her first starship assignment USS Shanghai
Displaying the Knack
Roshanara was a gifted student in her primary and secondary education. In particular, one of her teachers noted, she "displayed extreme intuition about all things mechanical." This intuition more than once did get her into trouble as she was a bit of a mischievous child. Although neither of her adopted parents were in Starfleet or had a family history in the service, Roshanara chose to attend Starfleet Academy for the chance to work with the latest developments in starship engineering.
Rather than remain on Earth, she went off-world and completed her undergraduate education at the academy's Beta Ursae Minor II campus. After graduating in 2378, she stayed for an additional two years to earn her master's degree in engineering. She then served on two vessels, the Shanghai and the Tempest, as an engineering officer.
Change of Plans
Aboard the Tempest, Roshanara was severely injured in a major accident in 2383. Due to the extent of her injuries, she took a leave of absence from active starship duty. While still recovering aboard Medical Starbase 253, she met a visiting Medusan researcher who had chosen the name Victor Frankenstein. Frustrated with the limitations of the traditional Medusan carrier pod he had been confined too, Roshanara worked with him to develop an exo-suit that permitted him much greater mobility and independent function to do his work.
For her part, she found the chance to delve into an engineering project welcome after having been forced for several weeks to sit out on the sidelines "to regain her strength." Truthfully, she had grown restless having had her medical clearance for active starship duty revoked during her rehabilitation, and the experience with Frankenstein led her to go on and complete the Daystrom Institute of Technology's doctoral program in engineering from 2383-2387 on a sponsorship from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers.
Upon earning her doctorate, she was assigned to the Pioneer as a research and development engineer in 2387. There, she met a young Rodulan engineer named Tristam Core. Later that year, Core was severely injured on the Pioneer during an experiment of a new component for Starfleet R&D's quantum slipstream drive project. He lost his Rodulan telepathy and protection from having his mind read by other telepathic species. He took his own medical leave of absence before transferring to operations on Deep Space 17. Roshanara, meanwhile, was later assigned as the Pioneer's assistant chief engineer by 2388. A year later, she was promoted to lieutenant commander and assigned to the USS Mercury as chief engineer.