Mei'konda is a Caitian Starfleet Officer assigned as the Commanding Officer aboard the USS Astraeus, a Galaxy class starship assigned to the Par'tha Expanse. Holding an advanced degree in Astrophysics in addition to his starship operations experience, Mei'konda has a wide range of experience in Starfleet engineering, operations, and command.
Mei'konda is a relatively private man, not as open and friendly as his race is generally known for. He has few friends, but stays as close as he can to those he's made. He attempts to be a consummate professional and is completely dedicated to Federation and Starfleet ideals. Occasionally prone to overworking himself when under stress, he tends to believe that every Starfleet regulation exists for a reason, but that they must be open to interpretation and development in deep space.
Family and Relationships
Father: H'lill (Lieutenant Commander, Starfleet, Retired), a Starfleet officer who served as a science officer and first officer aboard the USS Yamaguchi, which was presumed lost at Wolf 359. The Yamaguchi, and H'lill, were later transported forward through time by a Q. H'lill is only two years older than his son due to the time travel, and retired from Starfleet shortly after his return. He now works on Terra Nova as a defense consultant.
Mother: Vry'shra, his mother, currently works at the Terra Nova Federation colony as a Xenobotanist. Semi-retired, she and H'lill have resumed their relationship, though Vry'shra is now much older than her husband.
- Aron Kells: Mei'konda's captain during much of his career, on the Mercury, Garuda, and Invicta. Mei'konda respects Kells' intelligence, though sometimes wonders about just how much the older man actually wants to be in the Captain's chair. The two have had a very professional relationship, and Mei'konda enjoyed time spent discussing work and protocol. After leaving his position on the Invicta for a Starbase posting, Mei'konda has had little contact with Kells.
- Roshanara Rahman: A fellow officer of Mei'konda's since the early days of his career, he's enjoyed a good deal of mutual respect and a healthy working relationship with the Kriosian. Mei'konda was one of her supporters after the court martial she faced after the Harrison Ross debacle, and served with her briefly aboard the Invicta before the Caitian left the ship. After his assignment aboard Starbase 74 was complete, Mei'konda heard that Rahman was commanding a ship in a region where he'd heard Evan Delano was working, and put in his request for a transfer. After a period of time spent as Captain Rahman's Operations officer, he was offered and accepted the position of First officer. Some time later, she recommended him as the replacement commanding officer of the Montreal.
- Saveron: Mei'konda's peer and often superior officer in the science and medical departments aboard his various assignments, Mei'konda has a high opinion of Saveron's abilities as a scientist and a low opinion of the Vulcan's dedication to Starfleet. Though they've worked well together, Mei'konda disliked seeing Saveron in a position of authority. Years after he'd last seen Saveron, Mei'konda made the decision to attempt a full reconciliation, and invited the Vulcan to his wedding on Esperance.
- Alora DeVeau:One of Mei'konda's few friends, he spent time together with Alora whenever possible, either on work projects or sampling new drinks. They have an interest in various types of music in common.
- Odin: A genetically engineered Earth dog that Mei'konda adopted when he was a cadet, Odin is very large, very smart, and exceptionally long lived and healthy for a canine.
- Evan Delano: One of Mei'konda's tutoring students in the Academy, a romantic fling, and years later, when assigned to the same ship, romantic interest. The two of them share a fiery relationship that has deepened over time. Before Evan took an extended leave of absence from Starfleet, the half-Vulcan proposed to him, as a promise that he'd one day be back. They were eventually reunited aboard the USS Veritas, Evan earned back his Starfleet commission, and in 2395, they were married on Esperance.
|Height||5'7" / 170 cm|
|Weight||165lb / 75kg|
|Fur / Hair Color||Tawny|
|Birthmarks / Scars||Numerous minor rock climbing scars on thighs and knees.|
|Taste in Clothing||Simple, sparse, easy to move in, when off duty.|
|STARFLEET SERVICE RECORD
Hobbies and Interests
- Dogs. Mei'konda quite enjoys Earth canines and the sorts of no-pressure bonds they form with their owners.
- Combat Training. Mei has seen enough action over the course of his career to find it important that he be able to match the same marksmanship and self defense qualifications as Starfleet security personnel.
- Piloting. Ever since his entry into the fleet as an Ensign serving at helm on the USS Mercury, he's loved taking direct control over spacecraft and piloting them just a little too fast.
- Terrible movies and romance novels. His guiltiest pleasure.
Mei'konda's early childhood was typical of a young man from Terra Nova, Caitian or not - his years as a baby were spent under the watchful eye of his mother, as well as his father, Lieutenant Commander H'lill, when his father was able to get leave back home from his assignment on the USS Yamaguchi. It was the year 2367 that Mei'konda's life changed in a big way.
With the first Borg attack on the Federation looking unstoppable, Mei'konda's mother prepared to evacuate the proximity of Earth along with many other Federation citizens. Then, available ships of the fleet were diverted to try to stop the Borg at Wolf 359. The Yamaguchi was one of those ships, and H'lill, as well as the ship, were presumed lost. It was days later that the Enterprise stopped the Borg ship over Earth, and Vry'shra was left to pick up the pieces, along with so many other Federation citizens who had known one of the eleven thousand Starfleet officers who had been killed or assimilated.
As Mei'konda grew, with stories of his father's heroism from his mother, he became determined to follow in H'lill's footsteps. He applied himself in school enough that he began to excel, and at sixteen, he was accepted to Starfleet Academy. With his interest in exploration, a specialty in navigation and astro sciences was natural for him, and he excelled in these fields, as well as physical education, despite his small stature. The biological sciences were always Mei'konda's weakest subjects.
During his third year, he met a half-Vulcan student who was a year behind him, Evan Delano. What became a teacher/student relationship blossomed into something both physical and romantic, a relationship that endured until Mei'konda's graduation.
Mei'konda's first assignment was on the USS Mercury, an Oracle class starship, as a junior helmsman. Through a combination of hard work, intense missions, and luck, Mei'konda was promoted to junior, then full Lieutenant in a relatively short period of time, eventually taking over as Chief of Operations aboard the Mercury. A childhood dream was realized when, after the Mercury sustained serious damage in an engagement with a Cardassian ship, her senior staff was transferred to a Galaxy class starship, the USS Garuda. As far as Mei'konda knew at this time, his father hadn't made it through the Battle of Wolf 359, and Mei'konda was now serving as a senior officer on the same type of ship that saved the Federation. He was exactly where he wanted to be.
Life on the Garuda agreed with Mei'konda. Directing a large operations staff in the day-to-day running of a massive, complex starship was a challenging routine that he eventually settled into. And it was certainly never boring, with intense and occasionally damaging encounters with the Kubarey, the Myr Luuk and the Community, and the Maquis Reborn, among others. With Evan Delano's assignment aboard the Garuda, Mei'konda felt fulfilled in his personal and professional life like he hadn't before.
The Invicta Expedition
Over a year into the Garuda's mission, the Invicta Expedition was launched, and Mei'konda and the other members of Garuda's senior staff were transferred abruptly to the new diplomatic explorer. A high profile mission, even the President of the Federation was present for its launch. Mei'konda served on the Invicta for a time, and found it to be a very different sort of mission than he was accustomed to. Diplomats were allowed free reign on the Bridge and through most of the ship, often making it more difficult for the private young officer to concentrate. But a pivotal event occurred on this assignment, when an encounter with the Q continuum resulted in his father's ship, the Yamaguchi, being transported into the present from the moment before it was destroyed at Wolf 359.
After the encounter with the Q was resolved, Mei'konda decided it was time for a change. Evan Delano had taken an extended leave of absence from Starfleet, his father was back, alive, though due to the journey through time, was only two years older than Mei'konda. The two hadn't gotten to know each other when Mei'konda was a kitten, as H'lill was often out on assignment. H'lill retired from Starfleet shortly after his arrival in the 2390s, and returned to Terra Nova to be with his wife. Mei'konda, meanwhile, decided to leave exploration duty. He requested an assignment on Starbase 74, near to Sector 001, where he could visit with his family regularly on Terra Nova.
During his year on Starbase 74, as an expert in Galaxy class systems, Mei'konda was assigned as the supervisor of an extensive refit on a Galaxy class starship, the USS Astraeus. The project, fraught with problems, was nearly complete when Mei'konda received word of an opening on board the USS Veritas. His break from exploration duty had been fruitful, and he'd had a good opportunity to spend time with his parents. As the Veritas had been operating in the sector of space where he'd heard that Evan had been, he decided that it was time to head back out into deep space.
Transition to Command
Over the next year, Mei'konda served as Captain Rahman's operations officer, and eventually, her first officer, when Lieutenant Commander Sky Blake transferred to the Starfleet Rangers. In this role, Mei'konda felt a sense of home that he hadn't in a long time, and flourished in the role. Mei'konda was in command of the Veritas regularly while Captain Rahman was off the ship, during an extended time as acting Captain, led the Veritas in an action that saw the Astraeus, whose commanding officer had brought her into the Shoals and gotten her stuck there, protected from a vicious pirate attack. It was after this mission that Mei'konda married his fiance, and was promoted to full Commander.
Over the next several months, Mei'konda and the Veritas took part in a number of missions, involving colony resupply, defense, science, and first contact. Late in 2395, Mei'konda was offered the USS Montreal. He accepted, despite that it would mean a separation from his husband. Over the next several months, he commanded the Montreal in the Shoals as a threat from the Tholians loomed, with ship and crew taking part in diplomatic, medical, and scouting missions.
Over the next few months, the Montreal and her crew did their best to keep Federation interests safe in the Shoals, until the Vulcan terrorist, Lenik, staged an attack on the Karakka system. Mei'konda had no choice but to sacrifice the Montreal in order to protect lives on the colony. There were relatively few casualties on the Montreal, and for their efforts, Mei'konda was promoted to Captain, and he and his senior staff from the Montreal were assigned to the USS Astraeus, a Galaxy class starship about to embark on a long range exploration mission to the Eagle Nebula. Here, the Astraeus made first contact with several new species and made several new scientific discoveries. Present in the region until late 2397, a sudden attack by one of those species that caused extensive damage to the ship and fourteen deaths among her crew forced her to return to Federation space.
With the Astraeus inactivated for repairs, Mei'konda was approached by Admiral Luke Reider. Rather than heading off to shore leave as he'd originally intended, Mei'konda was assigned command of the Akira class USS Chin'toka, a brand new Akira class starship whose first Captain died suddenly and under mysterious circumstances just prior to taking command.
Mei'konda commanded the Chin'toka for over two years. During this time, the Federation was able to establish its first colony in the Par'tha Expanse, named Shemsh. In late 2399, the Chin'toka was damaged badly in an ultimately successful attempt at diverting a neutron star's course from a heavily inhabited system. Though her crew saved several hundred million in the process, the Akira class starship was crippled in the process, and her crew transferred to the vessel Mei'konda had previously commanded in the Eagle Nebula, the USS Astraeus.
Authorization Mei'konda, theta eight-four-seven
|NPC Listing · USS Astraeus Crew Manifest · Crew History