|Crew of USS Blackwell|
|Commander Theo Whittaker|
Commander Theo Michaelangelo Whittaker is the 28 year old Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Blackwell, one of the vessels attached to the Andaris Task Force. Previously, he was the Executive Officer of StarBase 118 Operations and the USS Columbia. He has also served as an instructor and examiner for Starfleet Academy at the satellite campus aboard StarBase 118.
Theo was born and raised on Archer IV largely by hs father - a professor of ancient Terran literature at The University of Tucker's Landing- who intended for his son to follow in the footsteps of his family and enter a life of academia, as all the male members of the Whittaker family had done for centuries. This expectation caused a great deal of friction between Theo and his father- with Theo wanting to find his own path in life. Eventually, when Theo was 16 he ultimately decided that he wanted to join Starfleet to follow in his mother's footsteps (who presently serves as the commanding officer of the U.S.S. Orb of Prophecy & Change) who he is closer to, despite the vast distances often involved. Theo failed his academy exam twice before being accepted on his third attempt. The defiance of his father's led to an estrangement between father and son that was not resolved at the time of his father's death, when Theo was a second year engineering cadet. This often fraught and complex relationship has had long last psychological repurcussions for Theo, namely self-doubt and anxiety.
Starfleet Career Statistics
- Starfleet Serial Number: MM - 120 - 848
- Training Facility: Starfleet Academy, Sol III, Sector 001, 2389-2392
- Major: Engineering
- Minor: Starship Operations
- Supplimentary Data File: Academy Transcript
- Commisioned: Stardate 239203.22
- Current Rank: Commander
- Current Assignment: Commanding Officer U.S.S. Blackwell, Andaris Task Force
Theo is slightly shorter than the average Terran male, standing at 5ft 7' (or 1.7 meters) and weighs approximately 150lbs (60kgs). He keeps himself in shape via thrice weekly visits to one of the gymnasiums located aboard the station giving him a toned, but not overly muscular appearance. He keeps his brown hair short, often styled with a quiff (although at times he has been known to sweep his fringe to one side) which has earned him the nickname of 'Mr. Perfect Hair' from his close friend and colleauge Lieutenant Commander Antero Flynn. He has Caucasian skin and has uncommonly bright hazel eyes.Other distinguishing characteristics are prominent cheekbones and a wide jaw line- both of which give him a somewhat 'chiselled' appearance as well smaller than usual ears. He also takes larger than usual strides when he walks, which may be an unconscious attempt at compensating for his smaller than average stature.
Due to being raised mostly by his father, whose family can trace their heritage back to the old British aristocracy, Theo speaks with a distinct old British accent known as 'received pronouncation' and has a tendency to be unusually eloquent as a result, although he has found that he has become more relaxed with his vocabularly as he has become more comfortable in his skin. He has a tendency to smile a lot, especially when dealing with his friends and colleauges.
As a Commanding Officer, Theo operates a relaxed style of command, encouraging many of the crew to call him by his given name when off duty and being extremely encouraging in everything they do. On duty, he does expect to be called by his rank when on-duty, although he prefers to be called by that over "sir", which he equates to his difficult childhood as his father insisted Theo call him by that honorific. He has displayed extreme discomfort at being referred to as 'sir' on a number of occasions. His amenable command style has seen him host soirees and attend various off-duty staff gatherings and he frequently greets newly arriving officers to the station by personally giving them a guided tour. He has also displayed a dry, sarcastic sense of humour which some have noted is used in difficult situations as a defense mechanism. Additionally, he has been known to be "sassy", although this is often solely directed at his friends.
QuartersU.S.S. Columbia were transferred by the quartermaster to the Blackwell, including a Nebula-class model and his collection of first-edition Terran literature given to him by his father on his 12th birthday.
Hobbies and Interests
When not on duty, Theo is a keen amateur mixologist and could- before the aforementioned destruction of his apartment- often be found in his kitchen perfecting his favourite cocktails or attempting to create new receipes. Somewhat of an old-fashioned traditionalist, his favourite cocktail (and drink of choice) is the classic Manhattan Cosmopolitan, which is he renowned for ordering on a night out. His favourite cocktail bar on the station is Samantha's- a newly opened bar modelled on a late 20th century-style New York bar.
Theo is also a follower of fashion and when not on duty, he enjoys mixology- the art of mixing cocktails, . He is also noted for the attention that he lavishes on his hair earning him the moniker 'Mr. Perfect Hair' from Columbia's pilot Lieutenant Commander Antero Flynn.
Possibly due to his aristocratic upbringing, Theo is also a lover of fine food and often dined out in one of many restaurants aboard StarBase 118, although this did attract the ire of Chief Medical Officer, Doctor Mirra Ezo who placed Theo on several 'meal plans'- which he often ignored. Interestingly, despite his predilection for cuisine, his favourite food is in fact his mother's spaghetti carbonara.
- Spouse: None
- Children: None
- Father: Josiah Peregrine Whittaker (deceased, 2387)
- Mother: Madeline Christina Whittaker (neé Lawson)
Theo's relationship with his father was often frosty and difficult, eventually breaking down all together after Theo made the decision to become a Starfleet officer. Josiah expected his son to enter a life of academia, as had every Whittaker for over 400 years, while Theo wanted to be his own man and find his own way. He would often disappear into the Keating Mountains which lay near Tucker's Landing, the capital city of Archer IV for days on end, camping in the woods purely to spite his father. This was a sharp contrast to his relationship with his mother, Madeline, which is extremely close. She privately supported her son's desire to become whatever he wanted to be and was the one to sponsor his application to Starfleet Academy- which led to the breakdown of her marriage to Josiah when Theo was 17. Theo and his mother communicate regularly by letter and she is extremely proud that her son is the Executive Officer of Starbase 118 at the age of 28. His father passed away from Meenok's disease during the second year of Theo's Starfleet Academy studies while the two were still estranged.
Due to the intensive studies forced upon him, Theo was known by his peers at school as something of a recluse and a loner with very few friends. His teachers expressed concerns about this, which were dismissed by his father. As a result, Theo found it incredibly difficult to forge bonds with children his own age and led to his reserved manner that developed later in life.
From a young age, Theo was fascinated by machinery and how things worked, largely due to the fact that his father was determined not to use any technology unless he absolutely had to. At age thirteen he built his first replicator as part of a high school project and won first place. When Theo was sixteen he announced his intention to apply for Starfleet Academy which his mother agreed to sponsor. As a result, his parents marriage broke down and Theo became depressed, believing that it was entirely his fault. As a result he could not focus properly and he failed his first entrance exam. He took two years to recover before reapplying at age twenty and passing the entrance exam. He took his place at Starfleet academy the following year at age 21, majoring in Starship Engineering with a minor in Starship Operations Management.
Career in Starfleet
Following the decommisioning of the Columbia, Theo was transferred to Starbase 118 Operations, originally as Chief Engineer before being promoted to Executive Officer by Captain Taybrim, the station's new Commanding Officer.
- Mirra Ezo: U.S.S. Columbia (NCC-85279) with Mirra joining the crew several weeks after Theo. She was the physician who treated Theo's injuries when he was assaulted by a being who claimed to be an Iconian who was seeking to drive Columbia and the Romulans from Avronis V. Their friendship, which has become a defining trait of both, truly began in the wake of Columbia's assignment to Hemix I and their first encounter with the Bolian criminal Chennel. Theo saved Mirra from an attack by a species of moth that fed on biological electrical energy and in turn, she saved and treated Theo from Chennel who had tortured him as a form of leverage in negociations with Columbia's commanding officer, Brek. The two remained friends following Columbia's reassignment, although were reunited when Mirra transferred to Starbase 118 Operations. Theo views Mirra as a sister, one he is fiercely protective over and the two can usually be found together in their off duty hours, either indulging in station gossip or simply spending time together. Theo has, on occasion, 'borrowed' Mirra's beauty products for his own use. When Theo's relationship with Baylen Anders falls apart, Mirra was one of the first people he turned to for support and comfort and when he is made Acting Commanding Officer of the station, he did not hesitate in appointing her his Acting Executive Officer, knowing that there was no else aboard the station that he trusted more.
- Tatash: Columbia and was imediately intimidated by the man's height, 7 foot. However, the two of them became friends in a way that most junior officers do. Theo was surprised and upset by the Gorn's sudden and unexpected transfer to the USS Avandar (NCC-80203) and was elated to discover that he was serving aboard Starbase 118 several months later. Tatash has become Theo's other best friend and the Gorn is fiercely protective of him- although he does rib him over Theo's aristocratic speech pattern. When Baylen Anders ended his relationship with Theo, Tatash immediately comforted his best friend and brought him a bottle of Romulan ale. When Chennel and her Orion allies boarded the station during an unusually powerful neutronic storm, Tatash was the first to suggest an external fightback and despite the dangers, flew into the heart of the storm to help Theo's resistance effort.
- Antero Flynn: Starbase 118 Operations. The two agreed to remain friends and when Theo moved into his penthouse apartment, Antero purchased him the ingreidents with which to make his favourite cocktail. They had since settled into a comfortable friendship. Theo was overjoyed to learn that Flynn was going to become a father after discovering Lieutenant Aitas had fallen pregnant.
- Aitas: Arturo Maxwell and Zel Rohan from Orion slavers following Chennel's defeat, Theo was openly worried about sending her, but kept her confidence about her unborn baby.
|Cadet First Class||239203.16-239203.16||Graduated Starfleet Academy||Engineering Officer|
|Ensign||239203.24-239205.03||USS Columbia||Engineering Officer|
|Lieutenant Junior Grade||239205.03-239207.26||USS Columbia||Engineering Officer|
|Lieutenant||239207.26-239211.16||USS Columbia||Chief Engineering Officer|
|Lieutenant||239211.16-239212.14||StarBase 118 Operations||Chief Engineering Officer|
|Lieutenant Commander||239212.14-2 239406.06||StarBase 118 Operations||Executive Officer|
|Commander||239406.06-239412.04||StarBase 118 Operations||Executive Officer|
|Commander||239412.07-Present||USS Blackwell, Andaris Task Force||Commanding Officer|
|NPC Listing · Andaris Task Force Crew Manifest · Crew History