|StarBase 118 Ops|
- 1 Character Information
- 2 Appearance
- 3 History
- 4 Personality
- 5 Family & Notable Relationships
- 6 Education
- 7 Awards and Service Ribbons
- 8 Career History
- 9 Professional History
- 10 Mission History
- 11 Sim Archive
- 12 Photo Archive
- Full Name: Sal Taybrim
- Race: Betazoid
- DoB: 235712.10 (Terran Standard December 10th)
- Place of Birth: Arethna City, Betazed
- Age: 41
- Gender: Male
- Telepathic Status: T2/E6 (telepathy is damaged)- See Telepathic/Empathic Scale
- Height: 5' 6" (1.67m)
- Weight: 160 lbs (72.6kg)
- Hair Color: Quite ginger
- Length of Hair: To or slightly past the ears, shaggy and unkempt
- Eyes: Wide, Dark hazel, close to black at times
- Skin: Pale
- Build: Slight and lean, Sal is quick on his feet and graceful in his movements.
- Face: Rounded
- Mouth: Usually smiling
- Arms: proportional
- Legs: somewhat short
- Notable marks: Sal has a scar along his right temple that is usually hidden by his hair. Perhaps this is why he keeps it as long as regulations allow?
- Carriage: Upright and confident, and often ‘perky.’
- Poses: Usually relaxed, Sal likes to fold his legs underneath him or ‘perch’ on furniture when alert. When tired he tends to slouch or sink down into a languid drape.
- Voice: Sal has a remarkably smooth tenor, which strikes people as both soft and calming.
- Appearance: Short and slight with broad shoulders and pale skin, Sal looks a little like he just stuck his finger in a light socket. His eyes are a bit too wide, his smile a little crooked and his shaggy ginger hair has the aggravating tendency to stick up in random directions. That said, he always seems ready with a friendly smile and he stands with a calm, self assured posture.
- Off Duty Appearance: Sal favors comfortable clothing in bright colors.
- Shoes: Sturdy, comfortable and functional.
- Handedness: Right.
Sal was born the youngest of three brothers to a well off family on the Betazed homeworld. His father was a minor politician and his mother came from a long line of family in various medical positions. As the baby of the family, Sal grew up well loved and slightly spoiled. Charismatic and popular while growing up, Sal has always been a people person. He used his charisma to get him out of trouble on multiple occasions while growing up, which led to a rather charmed and sheltered life.
Blending his mother’s interest in medicine with his own interest in computers, Sal studied to become a specialist in artificial intelligence, particularly in the area of biological computer components. He was a solid student, though somewhat overconfident in his abilities – something born from his sheltered upbringing as well as his ability to convince professors and students alike to assist him. Charming and personable, he advanced quickly in his position, partially on his own merits but partially on his connections with other people.
Before joining Starfleet, Sal was posted to The Federation research center of Deneva VI as a civilian researcher into artificial intelligence. He was part of a specialist mission to Ceabrin III to investigate a developing intelligence in the Ceabrin computer technology. The researchers found the Ceabrin constructed computers with biological components, and their computers had achieved a rudimentary sentience. This sentience was wreaking havoc on Ceabrin as computers started to backfire against their operators. Sal, believing he could control his telepathy to the utmost tried to mindlink with the computer with disastrous results.
The Ceabrin computer thought Sal’s attempt at communication was a violation, an act of aggression and it retaliated by outputting it’s electrical reserves into the Betazoid’s body. The electrical shock combined with the violent telepathic trauma of being ejected from the mind of an alien intelligence not only blew Sal Taybrim across the room, it landed him in a comatose state for 2 weeks under the intensive and watchful care of the Federation Neurological Institute. When he finally awoke he found that the world was a distinctly quieter place, his once keen telepathy replaced by a white noise wash punctuated by frequent uncontrolled clips of thoughts.
He spent over a year in rehabilitation from the accident, slowly regaining most of his telepathic capability, and all of his mental faculties. Retrained in a strictly Betazoid manner, Sal struggled for a long time with controlling his telepathy. Only recently has he found that the meditation and control techniques from other cultures often serve him better than a strictly traditional Betazoid regimen.
During his recovery time, Sal came into contact with a variety of Starfleet personnel, most notably many counselors. This greatly piqued his interest in counseling. His warm and personable demeanor made him many friends who were more than willing to give him references and recommendations when he finally decided to apply to Starfleet Academy.
In his retraining process, Sal threw himself into his studies with a newfound fervor. Unwilling to make the same mistakes twice, Sal has dedicated himself to the study of psychology and various forms of therapy. Open minded and curious, he has a good breadth of research and experience in various cultures and techniques for counseling and psychotherapy.
Unlike most Betazoids, Sal does not rely on his telepathy. He is a keen student of body language and cultural communication. While he can read thoughts, he usually keeps strict control over that aspect of his capability; for fear that his damaged telepathy might inadvertently hurt someone else. He does use empathic sensing with reasonable frequency.
- Quarters: Bright and cheerful, Sal is slowly gathering a variety of decorations, including family pictures and mementos from his various jobs, postings and friends.
- Office: Usually well lit, Sal eschews a normal desk to remove the 'barricade' between himself and those he sees. He has a small curved table at one end and a variety of chairs. There is a low coffee table to one side and a variety of artwork on the walls.
- Favorite Drink: Rigellian Orange Cider with long pepper.
- Favorite Food: Sal favors things that are spicy and savory. He tried curry once and thought it was amazing. He also has a weakness for pastries.
- Habits: Likes to settle himself with a mug of cider before working with someone.
- Mannerisms: Sal tends to be self conscious about his hair, and try to get it to 'lay flat' without much success. He can be quite blunt, and often speaks his mind freely.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Sal is spiritual, and believes in the fundamental connectedness of all sentient life forms. He trained in Betazoid meditation techniques, something he does regularly.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Sal loves a good party and is willing to try most anything if he can spend more time with people. He is also an accomplished ballroom dancer from training both on Betazoid and in the diplomatic service.
- Likes: Fizzy drinks, upbeat music, chatting with people one-on-one, mini golf, Coffee on bad mornings.
- Dislikes: Electrical storms, transporter beams, losing friends either to distance or worse things,
- Ambitions and Goals: Live life to the fullest, enjoy every day, meet lots of people and help them.
- Achievements in Life: Surviving a major trauma that could have easily killed him, recovering and becoming a Starfleet officer, several published research papers into artificial intelligence and computer systems,
- Disappointments in Life: Sal wishes he would have been more careful, and that he settled down earlier to start a family.
- Temperament: Upbeat, charming and personable. Sal has a wide-eyed sense of child-like wonder at the galaxy that hasn’t been dampened. Oftentimes this leads people to believe he is younger that his actual age. Sal likes to talk to people and tends to maintain a positive outlook on life. He is a total extrovert, and will seek to spend time with friendly company whenever possible.
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias): Sal heavily dislikes transporter beams and energy fields. He has a tendency to talk to computers when he is tired. Though he has not shown signs of it yet, Sal is susceptible to anxiety and flashbacks when faced with electrical discharges.
- Physical Limitations: Sal’s damaged telepathy is most likely to ‘go on the fritz’ in the presence of strong energy fields, including transporter beams. Furthermore, Sal has symptoms of peripheral motor neuropathy after transportation, causing loss of balance and/or co-ordination. He occasionally has muscle spasms as a result of his accident, and Starfleet medical suggested he have routine examinations to make sure his heart remains unaffected from the shock.
- Strengths: Sal is charming and personable. He loves to talk to people and can break down many icy demeanors. He is extremely empathetic and shows a great deal of compassion for others.
- Weaknesses: Even through all that has happened to him, Sal remains somewhat cocky and reckless. He also tends to severely underplay what happened to him, something which may come back to bite him...
Medical / Psychology Report: Sal is a compassionate person, devoted to the well being of those around him. He seems to thrive on personal relationships, and it is recommended that he be able to surround himself with people he can support and who can support him in exchange. During his recover counselors noted that Sal was unwilling to ‘give up’ even in the face of drastic setbacks. He pushed himself to recover and succeed despite having all odds against him. He tends to deny the magnitude of the accident, often brushing off what happened to him as a ‘little incident.’ His psychology profile warns that Sal may suffer anxiety and flashbacks if he comes into contact with raw electrical sources. His medical record clearly warns doctors that he has suffered – and survived – a severe electrical shock. He is required to undergo routine medical examination to make sure that ventricular fibrillation does not re-occur.
Sal's telepathy is damaged, and he seems to only have the ability to maintain consistent telepathic contact with other Betazoids. His empathic senses were not compromised, however - and he has used them to compensate for his lack of telepathy. This makes him telepathically weak, but empathically strong.
Family & Notable Relationships
•Marital Status: Single. Curiously enough Sal has never had a romantic relationship, despite constantly seeking social interaction. Hmm...
•Children: None yet
Attended the Sans'Thorus University for Computer sciences, Graduated with a master's degree in artificial intelligence and advances systems development. Worked for 3 1/2 years in the civilian sector before deciding to attend Starfleet Academy.
- Date of Graduation from civilian master's program: Stardate 238205.26
- Date of Entry into Starfleet Academy: Stardate 238609.01
- Date of Graduation: Stardate 239010.06
- Major: Counseling (conflict resolution)
- Additional Specializations: Computer sciences, Diplomatic negotiations
Awards and Service Ribbons
|AWARDS & COMMEMDATIONS
- 239010.07 - Assigned to the USS Excalibur-A as a counselor.
- 239012.28 - Assigned to the USS Darwin-A as a science officer.
- 239102.03 - Requests transfer back to USS Excalibur-A. Request successful, and returns to the Excalibur as a science officer.
- 239102.05 - Promoted to Lieutenant JG
- 239105.04 - Promoted to Lieutenant
- 239107.12 - Transferred to the USS Columbia as a science officer
- 239109.17 - Promoted to Lt. Commander, assigned as Chief Diplomatic Officer
- 239112.29 - Transferred to StarBase 118 Ops as First Officer
- 239210.29 - Promoted to Commander
- 239212.12 - Takes command of StarBase 118 Ops
- 239306.12 - Promoted to Captain
- 239602.21 - Promoted to Fleet Captain
- 239801.30 - Promoted to Commodore
Missions on the U.S.S. Excalibur-A
Missions on the U.S.S. Darwin-A
Missions on the U.S.S. Columbia
Missions on StarBase 118 Ops
- Old Prejudices Die Hard - (EXCALIBUR: 239010.23 - When an Intel officer bursts in to interrupt their work, Sal muses on how he has never liked Intel)
- Finding Balance - (EXCALIBUR: 239012.15 - Counselor Taybrim first meets with Lieutenant JG Skyfire)
- One Door Opens, One Door Closes - (EXCALIBUR: 239012.30 - Sal find out he's been transferred and his family has a hand in manipulating it.)
- Doors That Will Open - (DARWIN: 239012.28 - Sal transfers to the Darwin, reuniting with Veradis Fai)
- Better and Better - (DARWIN: 239101.18 - Ensign Taybrim and Lieutenant James escalate their misadventures on Talvath)
- What Th-? - (EXCALIBUR: 239103.20 - Sal and Silveira have an unusual argument on the bridge)
- Comfort - (EXCALIBUR: 239105.12 - Sal tries to counsel Skyfire after the death of Nicholotti.)
Ensign Taybrim of the USS Excalibur-A, an eager young counselor
Lt. Commander Taybrim of the USS Columbia, Diplomatic Officer
Commander Taybrim of StarBase 118 Ops, Executive Officer
|NPC Listing · StarBase 118 Ops Crew Manifest · Crew History