|Birthplace||Mak'ala City, Trillius Prime|
“"You can plan to be brave - it's even better if you just try to be brave."”
Enthusiastic and friendly, Maz is newly Joined Fifth Host of the Rodan Symbiont. Wise beyond his years, but still fun and playful, he's excited to see the galaxy with Starfleet and exert his new self.
- Full Name: Maz Rodan (nee Nevron)
- "Mazzy" by his mother
- Gender: Male
- Race: Trill (Joined)
- Date of Birth: 237212.11
- Symbiont Age: 173
- Place of Birth: Mak'ala City, Trillius Prime
- Languages Spoken:
- Federation Standard (Fluent)
- Modern Trill Standard (Fluent)
- Klingon (Conversational)
- Ancient Trill (Beginner)
- Current Rank: Lieutenant Commander
- Starfleet Serial Number: VK- 369 - 956
- Sexuality: Homosexual
- Height: 6' 0"
- Weight: 12 stone
- Hair Color: Black
- Hair style: 'Bed Head'
- Facial Hair: None
- Eye Color: Blue
- Distinguishing Marks/Scars: Trill spots
- Build: Lean
- Carriage/Gait: Quick and easy
- Mannerisms: Articulate and gesticulate.
- Taste in Clothing (When off Duty): Trendy
- Accent: Federation Standard
- Handedness: Left
- Temperament: Friendly and approachable, with a mischievous streak.
- Religion: None
Maz Rodan is an enthusiastic and adventurous young Trill. He loves exploring the universe and finds excitement in most things. He is bubbly and friendly, yet sometimes often self-reflective. Although he has been Joined since 2397, he is still coming to terms with the 'new' Maz. He enjoys sports, particularly basketball and hockey, and has a strong liking for Earth music and food. He's a lot laid back than other Trill, and enjoys socializing. He was born and raised in Mak'ala City, the capital city of Trill, and considers himself more cosmopolitan and open minded than Trill from other parts of the planet.
Like most Trill, Maz is inherently bisexual, though has accepted that he is - and was before Joining - homosexual.
He graduated from the Academy with a major in Astrophysics and Astronomy, with a minor in Quantum Mechanics. He is fascinated with the workings of the universe and his biggest dream is to witness the birth of a star. While at the Academy he joined a group of budding scientists called The Storm Chasers - led by the passionate and charismatic Lee Birack - who in their spare time chased ion storms with the hopes of mapping their internal composition in an attempt to create an effective early warning system against dangerous ion storms, dust clouds and interstellar matter phenomena.
He started a band while at the Academy. "Bad" Maz Nevron and The New Breed, an 80's New Wave/Rock group where he was the saxophonist. Other members of the band were Thran Sh'Khelle (Andorian, lead guitar and vocals), Alexandria King (Human, drummer) and Melo Lim (Bajoran, synth keyboardist). In 2398 he made holographic recreations of them for the Bairiri performed on Genti II.
- Quarters: Generally tidy but with hints of disorganization.
- "Kiddo" - A habit he picked up from Shona.
- "Oh, boy!" Used for a variety of situations from excitement to horror.
- Calls everybody informally by their full name.
- Uses the word 'literally' often.
- Enjoys Uber-healthy smoothies and tries to get others to try them, even though they really taste horrible. Maz is aware of how awful they taste.
- Has seemingly bottomless pockets, and pulls out a myriad of strange things, but mostly carrot sticks and chocolate bars. When asked where they come from, he nonchalantly replies with "Don't worry about it".
- Hobbies and Pastimes:
- He plays basketball, and supports the FBA team the Mak'ala City Mavericks. He also supports the FHL hockey team Mak'ala Rangers.
- Enjoys Earth music, such as jazz and rock and roll. He can play the saxophone and is learning to play the drums.
- Detective Fiction - from Sherlock Holmes to Hercule Poirot to Dixon Hill.
- Watching F1 Shuttle Racing.
- Likes & Dislikes:
- Visiting the beaches at Najana City.
- Tea. He picked up a liking for tea while studying on Earth.
- PADDcasts about Alternate Universe conspiracies.
- Follows the popular Trill band Spotsy Music.
- Closed minded people.
- Bugs and insects.
- Cold temperatures.
- Favourite Foods:
- Hot Curry. Unusual for Trill, he enjoys spicy foods.
- Klingon Fire Wine
- Favourite Drinks:
- Earl Grey Tea.
- Moba Juice
- Millie - the 4 foot millipede which formed a strange bond with Maz while on The Space Hulk. Millie lived on Deck 4 in the Science Labs, before being relocated to a suitable habitat on Casperia Prime.
Trill Science Ministry vs Starfleet Academy
Maz was accepted as an astrophysics intern to the noted Trill Science Ministry after completing his studies at Mak'ala Academy, and was set to join the organization as a junior scientist. He changed his mind on the position when he became friendly with a visiting professor from Starfleet Academy - Professor Felix Happer. The elder scientist broadened Maz's mind to studying the universe and they formed a mentor/mentee relationship over the course of a year. In 2393 Maz left the Ministry after his application to Starfleet Academy was successful, and he traveled to Earth.
The Rodan Symbiont
Rodan was born in the pools of The Caves of Mak'ala - the sacred caves on Trill where Symbionts are born and raised - in 2226. They were watched over and nurtured by the dedicated Guardians for ten years until 2236 when Rodan was Joined to their First Host.
First Host (2236 - 2298)
Rodan's First Host - Shona - was a psychiatrist who ran a private practice, and later served as a Field Docent for the Evaluation Board of the Trill Symbiosis Commission. Known for her sharp tongue and short temper, she helped guide hundreds of Initiates onto Joining, and equally helped wash-out hundreds more. Shona was a 'no nonsense' character who enjoyed martinis and tennis. She was married, and had two children. She died of a heart attack aged 82 in 2298.
Second Host (2298 - 2334)
Second Host Zosha was an oceanographer and zoologist. Poetic and lovely, she was very lovable to all who knew her. She was known to be very beautiful and always smiled. She was married but had no children. She died in a research accident underwater off the coast of Najana City in 2334.
Third Host (2334 - 2352)
The Third Host of Rodan - Rafi - was a loud and mischievous Private Detective formerly of the Trill Police Service. A rash hot-head, he was known to bend rules and cut corners to get his work done. Rafi enjoyed the music and culture of various Alpha and Beta Quadrant races. He picked up Shona's sharp tongue and penchant for arguments, and met his fate at the end of a d'k tagh in a Klingon dive bar in 2352.
Fourth Host (2352 - 2397)
Joined for 45 years, Jareth was a noted Starfleet Chief Medical Officer. He served on several starships in his career and saw action in the Borg Invasion of 2373, and The Dominion War. While exploring uncharted space in 2397, Jareth was infected with a deadly and unknown disease, which proved terminally fatal. He requested to return to Trill to die, where he could meet the future Initiate to have the Rodan Symbiont, and pass along some advice. He died aged 63.
- Marital Status: Single
- Children: None
Maz's father - Aldred Nevron - is a curator at the Mak'ala Natural History Museum on Trill. A quiet a studious man, he is very supportive of Maz's Joining and enlistment in Starfleet. He has a deep regret for not pushing himself to be Joined when he was younger, and wishes he had. He is a lover of history and natural history.
His mother Elosi is a senior nurse at one of the major medical centers in the city. She is warm and friendly - if a little loud and boisterous. She has a particularly high and shrill voice. She does not really approve of Maz's Joining, stating that the new personality post-Joining won't be her "Little Mazzy". Despite her objections, she is deeply protective of her eldest son.
Aran (b. 2379) is Maz's younger brother. He's currently gaining experience on the Arrow as a Student Medic before applying to Starfleet Medical. He is typically quieter than Maz, but has expressed an interest in being Joined.
- Zero Gravity Training.
- Deep Water.
- He is afraid he won't live up to Joined Trill expectations.
- Balancing the hot-headed, impulsive natures of his First and Third Hosts.
- Personal Achievements:
- Being Joined
- Joining Starfleet
- Personal Disappointments:
- His mothers reaction to his Joining.
- Childhood: Maz had a typical childhood, living and exploring Mak'ala City. He learned about Trill science and history by hanging out in the museum his father works in. He was an only child until the age of 8, and became a protective and supportive older brother.
- Education: Bright and outgoing, Maz excelled in school and attended both primary and secondary school on Trill. He attended Starfleet Academy on Earth.
- Joining: With the expediency of having to re-Host Rodan, Maz was surprised to be called back to Trill in an emergency to be Joined. He was able to speak to Jareth before he died, and the older Starfleet Officer passed along some advice prior to him being Joined.
- Starfleet: It was always Maz's intention to join Starfleet. He was accepted to the Trill Science Ministry as a junior scientist, but wanted to see the galaxy instead. His previous Host - Jareth - was a Starfleet Officer and so the role comes naturally to him. Maz was already an Ensign serving on the USS Dickens when he was Joined in 2397. In his subsequent Joining he quickly rose the ranks to full Lieutenant and the position of Chief Science Officer. When he was transferred to the Arrow in 2398, he requested a demotion to Lieutenant Junior Grade and a posting as Science Officer, to prove his potential and ensure his success post-Joining wasn't a 'fluke'.
Personal Story Arcs
- Reassociation: After taking the role of First Officer on the Arrow, Maz has to reconcile his duty to Starfleet as well as his guilty feelings of Reassociation and stepping into Jareth's old life.
- The Faceless Trill: During his body-swap with Artinus Serinus, Maz was confronted in a dreamscape he named Nightmare Land. In it, he saw foreboding images of Trill without faces who inhabited a dark council chamber in the Symbiosis Commission. The Faceless Trill stood in judgement of Maz and demanded to know his identity - both individually and Joined.
||Professor Felix Happer|
Faculty member of the Stellar Sciences Program at Starfleet Academy, Happer is credited with persuading Maz to apply for Starfleet. Until then he had set his sights on a scientists position at the Trill Science Ministry. A gentle and humorous man, Happer has an intense love for astronomy and astrophysics and acts as a kind of grandfather figure to Maz.
Lee Birack leads The Storm Chasers; a group of Starfleet Cadet scientists intent on creating a more efficient way of detecting and mapping ion and other spatial storms in the hope of creating an early warning system which can be deployed across the quadrant. Lee is passionate to the point of obsession about his work and is a bit of a party-goer and risk taker in the field. He and Maz became friends at the Academy and have kept in touch since they both graduated.
||Elinar Vant/Rion Vant|
Rodan's First Host - Shona - had an on-again/off-again friendly rivalry with Elinar Vant. The two loved to hate each other and took great pleasure in upstaging each other in Trill society. It was in a tennis match against Elinar that Shona suffered her fatal heart attack and died - an event Vant is often amused by. The rivalry continues in Vant's current host - Rion - who Maz finds himself strangely attracted to!
- What Happens on Risa... - Maz arrives on Risa to assume his new post as Science Officer on the USS Arrow. He participates - badly - in the 132nd Annual Risa Regatta, and discovers a new symptom of his recent Joining - seasickness. He finds the hydroponics bay in disarray and cleans it up before the ship departs orbit. He is also present at the crew ceremony and witnesses Commander Shayne be promoted to Captain.
- Freaky Friday - The Arrow is sent to establish relations with the Gentii. After a strange probe scans the crew, Maz finds himself 'body-swapped' with their Chief of Security, Artinus Serinus.
- Hunt for the Hulk - Finding a huge stony pyramid in space, the Arrow discovers it to be an ancient Gorn ark lost to time. Maz leads the away team onto the ark to learn more and see if the crew need assistance. The ark is a labyrinthine maze, and Maz is soon injured in a cat and mouse game of survival with a subspecies of Gorn driven into madness by centuries of loneliness. He also finds Millie, a strange and rather large millipede, who took a shine to him while on the Hulk.
- Endless Night - When the crew of the Arrow is forced to abandon ship above The “Midnight” Planet, Maz is critically injured when his shuttle crashes. He insists Maria Alvarez take temporary command in the event of his incapacitation. When he believes he is dying from his wounds, he instructs Alvarez to take the Rodan Symbiont and ensure it survives - something Alvarez feelings immensely unqualified to do. He is later cured by the resurrected Amanda Crossley in fungal form by the planet and returns to the ship in full health.
- Mission to Mercia - Maz is left in command of the Arrow for most of the mission when Captain Shayne lead’s an away team to the Sheliak mothership to neutralise a metagenic virus. He plays cat-and-mouse with a Sheliak attack ship in a nearby nebula before engaging them above Mercia IV. Starfleet reinforcements arrive in time, and he leads an away team down to the planet where the Breen have set up a weapons base.
- At Galaxies Edge - Maz assumes command of the Arrow again, this time after Captain Shayne and Commander MacKenna are kidnapped in orbit of Earth! To make matters worse, sabotage of the Proteus Engine sees the ship flung across the galaxy to Odyssey Station, a lone starbase in between the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxies.
- My Time - Newly Joined Maz arrives for duty on the USS Arrow.
- Who Am I? - After Body-Swapping, Maz recalls being Joined to his Third Host - his first male Host after nearly a hundred years of being female.
- One Love - "Bad" Maz Rodan & The New Breed reform (albeit holographically) to perform at the Genti II Bairiri.
|Starfleet Service Record
|Awards & Service Ribbons|
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
|NPC Listing · USS Arrow Crew Manifest · Crew History