David James Whale
David Whale is currently serving as an Assistant Director with the Criminal Intelligence Operations division of Federation Security, based on Earth.
- 1 Stats
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Known Medical Issues
- 4 Manner
- 5 Personality
- 6 Family
- 7 Professional History
- 8 SIM Archive
- Full Name: David James Whale
- Race: Terran
- Date of Birth: 224102.14 (February 14th, 2241)
- Place of Birth: Edinburgh, Scotland, Earth
- Age: 155 (see HISTORY)
- Gender: Male
- Telepathic status: NIL
- Height: 177.8 cm (5'10")
- Weight: 81.2 kg (179 lbs.)
- Hair Color: Brown, slight greying at temples
- Length of Hair: Short
- Eye Color: Light Brown
- Skin Tone: Medium
- Build: Medium; Fit
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Generally comfortable, but plain clothing. Nothing too flashy and nothing too “cutting edge” fashion-wise
- Voice: Rough, but rarely loud unless angered. Faint Scottish accent.
- Handedness: Right
Known Medical Issues
Whale has been diagnosed with space myopia. As a result, he is not cleared to pilot star fighters or other small craft.
Due to cardiac arrest suffered in the Second Battle of Eratis, Whale's heart sustained some damage. It was determined after a bout of serious heart palpitations aboard the USS Constitution-B that Whale had scar tissue on his heart. After treatment performed by Doctor Sally Stone to remove the scar tissue, Whale has made an almost complete recovery and is not expected to have any further complications from the injury.
- Quarters: Currently, Whale's quarters aboard the USS Drake are lavishly decorated in dark oak, red satin and gold accents -- an unexpected gift from his old acquaintance Roxy of the infamous Tea Room on Starbase 118.
- Mannerisms: Has a tendency to speak bluntly.
- Physical Limitations: Whale is human and as such, has human limitations.
- Temperment: Generally stand-offish. Whale does not suffer fools gladly and has little problem with telling people exactly what he thinks.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Whale does not believe in any gods. And if he ever met one, would likely try to punch it in the face.
David Whale has dealt with significant tragedy in his life and his personality reflects it. He is generally stand-offish, rarely willing to open up to anyone about his feelings or discuss, in detail, the circumstances of his presence in this century. While he is not by nature a mean or difficult person, the difficulties he has had -- and continues to have -- in adjusting to his "new" life have affected him to the point where many see him this way.
Personal Achievements and Disappointments
Though he has never voiced this to anyone, Whale biggest disappointment - to put it mildly - is his failure to propose to Gianna Dacosta during their last time together, only a week prior to the disappearance of the USS Ackerman. He had the ring in his pocket, but was too nervous to go through with it.
Again, though he'd likely never say this out loud, Whale is quite proud of the fact that he has achieved the rank of Lieutenant Commander. When rejoining Starfleet after surviving The Ackerman Event, his only goal was to survive -- mentally and emotionally -- but when promoted to Lieutenant Commander, a full grade above the highest rank he held in the 23rd Century, Whale came to realize that somewhere along the way, he'd not only adapted, but began to grow beyond the tragedy that brought him to the 24th Century.
For historical information on Whale's family, including Clan history and profiles of notable ancestors, see David Whale: Family History.
Due to the circumstances of his life in the 24th Century, Whale no longer has any living family of which he is aware.
- Marital Status: Married
- Fiona Elise Shelley, 238808.01 - Present
- Olivia Wildflower Whale, born 238912.15
- Mairin Elise Whale, born 238912.15
- Fiona Elise Shelley, 238808.01 - Present
OOC NOTE: Mairin Whale is actually an alternate-timeline duplicate of Olivia Whale. In order to save the children of the alternate Drake, a doomed vessel, Wanda DyAmone transported them to the "true" Drake. Whale called in numerous favours in order to have medical records falsified to show that Fiona Shelley had given birth to twins. This information is known in-character only by Whale, Shelley, Oliver Weston and William Rogers.
- Father: Robert Roy Whale
- Mother: Rebecca Elizabeth Whale (née Hargreaves)
Whale did not have any brothers or sisters.
- Gianna Dacosta: A Starfleet science officer with whom Whale was romatically involved during his first tour of duty with Starfleet. Deceased. Whale has yet look up her personnel file, afraid of how he will feel reading about her life after his "death." Most importantly, he's afraid to find out that someone else ended up marrying Gianna, having children with her, growing old with her... all the things that Whale had wanted.
- Yautja Uatu: Former bartender/manager of D-10, the USS Tiger crew lounge. Whale and Uatu were involved romantically for over a year, but the relationship ended on 238703.14. Utatu revealed herself to be a Klingon operative working for Kolkorr the Merciless. Uatu's current whereabouts is unknown.
- Fiona Shelley: A doctor currently serving aboard the USS Drake who was also one of the first to treat the survivors of The Ackerman Event. Serving together for a number of years, she and whale developed an extremely strong bond that eventually blossomed into a romance. The pair ended up getting married after a night of drunken revelry which neither remembers with any clarity, though neither is disappointed at the end result. The currently live together aboard the Drake and are expecting their first child.
- Anna Cortez: A cadet participating in a Starfleet Academy field training pilot program. Whale had been assigned as her mentor/trainer and much to his own surprise, he quite enjoyed the role. Cortez has since returned to her studies at the Academy and much to his surprise, Whale finds himself missing the ridiculously cheerful young cadet.
- Alleran Tan: Though they served together on both Starbase 118 and the USS Independence-A, Whale and Tan didn't begin to develop a friendship until both had begun to move on. Both left the Independence for personal reasons -- Whale to escape a potentially disasterous romantic entanglement and Tan to escape the aftermath of one.
- Oliver Weston: An intelligence officer assigned to the USS Drake, Whale and Weston met during the failed SAR (Search and Rescue) mission to Duster's Range aboard the USS Constitution-B. The common bond of participating in such a traumatic mission has formed the foundation upon which they have begun to develop a friendship, now that Whale is also serving aboard the Drake.
- Date Graduated from Academy:
- Original: 226305.05
- Current: 238512.20
- Current Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
- Current Assignment: USS Gemini
- Duty Post: SAR Ops and Marine Commander
StarFleet Assessments and Records
- Full Articles: David Whale: StarFleet Records 2259-2269, David Whale: StarFleet Records 2381-Present
Whale's career history with Starfleet is somewhat unusual, as it contains two separate tours of duty spanning nearly 120 years. As such, it has been divided into two sections: the years 2259-2269, followed by the years 2381-Present.
In 2269, while responding to a distress call from a civilian freighter, the USS Ackerman was lost with all hands after an encounter with a spatial anomaly. This event is frequently referred to as the Ackerman Event.
In 2379, the Ackerman re-emerged from what has since been determined to be a temporal anomaly. There were only three survivors -- including David Whale. Biologically, David Whale was 28 years old when the Ackerman re-emerged into the universe. In terms of actual years since his birth, he was 138 years old.
Active Duty History
|Starfleet Service Record
Awards & Service Ribbons
- Quarters: Whale has set aside a small part of his quarters as an office, with some hard-bound copies of various Federation legal documents.
- Executive Officer's Office: As the XO, Whale has a good-sized office set aside for his use. The office currently includes a piece of technology "borrowed" from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers called The Manager -- a portable holographic interface generator. The dominant feature of the office is a massive shelving unit containing dozens of hard copies of various Starfleet operating and procedural manuals as well as thick, leatherbound editions of Federation legal texts.
- Arrival at Deep Space 17: David Whale's introduction into the world of UFoP:SB118. He arrives at DS17 to rendezvous with the USS Tiger with more than a little trepidation about joining the crew of a starship once more.
- Sleepless Nights, Part I: Plagued by nightmares, Whale tries to drown his sorrows at a shady drinking establishment...
- Sleepless Nights, Part II: ...but ends up in a bar fight with three Klingons, leading to a necessary first trip to the Tiger's sickbay.
- A Flashback to Better Days: A flashback to the end of Whale's first year in his first go-round at the Academy in 2260.
- A Cosmic Toss of the Dice: Whale unexpectedly discovers a common bond with one of the Tiger's medical personnel, Dr. Fiona Shelley.
- Three Weeks: In which Whale suffers through an awkward three weeks after an accidental kiss.
- Last Stand, Part I: The defense of Deep Space 17 against its Vaadwaur attackers is not going well...
- Last Stand, Part II: ...and Whale is critically injured, dragged from the fallen station by Danilo Pitik.
- Regulations & Realizations: Whale counsels Crewman T'tala during a difficult time in her personal life, then makes a surprising realization about his own -- involving the nature of his feelings for Doctor Shelley.
- Tomorrow's Questions: Unconscious due to injury, Whale enters a dreamworld in which he discusses his place in the universe with Yautja Uatu and the Guardian of Forever.
- A Why to Live: Whale and Doctor Fiona Shelley both pay visits to old friends at Starfleet Veterans Hospital, each gaining new perspectives on their lives.
- The Razor's Edge of Love & Fear: After being confronted by Shelley about his departure from the Independence, Whale reveals his reasons... only to discover that Shelley will be joining the crew of the Constitution.
- Bleak Horizon: While on Risa for shore leave, Whale thinks he and Shelley are on the same page, but he quickly -- and devastatingly -- finds out he was wrong.
- Leap of Faith: After a disastrous encounter with the Borg, which resulted in a significant injury to Doctor Shelley, Whale decides to take a leave of absence from Starfleet.
- Waking Up in Vegas: With the past several days a complete blur, Whale and Shelley wake up on the USS Drake to find that not only have they both transferred to the Miranda Class vessel, but that they also may have married.
- Sweeping the Ashes: Suffering through nightmares from her Borg encounter, Fiona Shelley reflects on her life and makes a decision on her future with Whale.
- May the Sun Ever be At Your Back: After the death of Wildflower Peace-Lily, Whale, Oliver Weston and Alleran Tan attend her funeral while Kestrel Cagliari tries to come to grips with the loss.
|NPC Listing · USS Gemini Crew Manifest · Crew History