|Starbase 118 Ops|
|Position||Chief of Security|
|Species||El-Aurian / Human Hybrid|
Ishani Kasun is assigned to Starbase 118 Ops and her support vessel, the USS Narendra as Chief of Security.
- Full Name: Ishani Kasun
- Date of birth: 229104.18
- Species: El-Aurian Human Hybrid
- Gender: Female
- Hair color: Brown
- Eye color: Bright blue
- Height: 6’2” (1.88 meters)
- Weight: 152 lbs
- Build: Curvy and toned
- Languages Spoken: Terran (Native), Klingon (Fluent), Vulcan (Conversational), Orion (Conversationalish)
- General Temperament: Generally calm, controlled and composed, though she can be and is quite firm if needed. Anger tends to break through more than sadness. Was quite rebellious when she was young.
- Treatment Style: Empathetic but matter-of-fact when communicating with her patients. Expect no complement sandwich from her and no dancing around with what needs to be said.
- Likes: Animals (especially cats), children, greenery, challenges, singing, music, spicy food, sweets, humidity
- Dislikes: Wallowing, Ferengi cuisine, food with bugs, non fish or seaweed seafood, excessive heat, dryness, bad puns, horrible singing
- Favorite Food/Drink: Candied Chili Peppers and Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Hobbies: Gardening, reading, swimming and singing
- Quarters: Light, colorful, cool, humid, and covered in houseplants, tapestries and wall hangings. A general bohemian aesthetic.
- Mother: Yasmin Kasun (deceased)
- Father: Jakarn
- Half Sibling: Taelon, Gazkra, Sharkalis Irissa, Martzel Aiza, Jian Kuan Yuen. Many others.
- Spouse: None currently, two ex husbands
- Children: Soraya (Born 239904.11)
- First Cousin Once Removed: Malik Karim
- Other: Azera (Father's wife), five maternal cousins and their families
A popular author and producer. Ishani is Jakarn’s third child and first daughter born after the fall of his homeworld, thus her father spent more effort into maintaining a connection with her and her older brothers than he would do with his many subsequent children. Still her father wasn’t involved much in her upbringing (mostly regular calls, sometimes an in person visit) which suited her mother just fine. They’ve become closer since Ishani’s mother passed on, though Ishani finds his hedonistic, celebrity lifestyle exasperating.
Half Brother and Crewmate
Taelon is the second of her many half siblings Ishani has met. Their father asked her to keep an eye on him, stating that Taelon "needs all the help he can get", and from their limited interactions with each other Ishani can't help but feel that Jakarn might have understated things a bit.
Father's Protoge and Crewmate
A former slave of the Orion Syndicate, Aitas was bought and released by Ishani's father. Ishani had met Aitas a few times before she joined Starbase 118 while the young woman was in her father's employ. Jakarn has apparently also asked Aitas to look after Taelon (something which Ishani admits she could use the help), but she can't help feel that Aitas also needs some looking after herself.
Ishani owns two 12 year old, female Ragdoll cats who are two in a long line of therapy cats she’s owned since she joined a group practice around 50 years ago. Peony and Camellia are sisters and come from a breeder that specializes in therapy cats that Ishani has patronized and recommended to her clients before. With Ishani’s job change they haven’t been getting out much, which means any visitors to her apartment will get swarmed, analyzed and then given the appropriate level of cat loving.
They’re both large for female Ragdolls; weighing in at almost 20 pounds they’re up there with the largest male Maine Coons and larger than most small dogs. Temperament wise Peony is a calm, snuggly lap cat, while her sister Camellia is much more playful, curious, loud and demanding. Due to their background, they love being around people and are both highly intelligent, trained, and attuned to the feelings of others around them.
- 2291: [Age 0] Was born from a short fling between her parents.
- 2296: [Age 5] Started primary school, met her father in person for the first time.
- 2309 - 2314: [Ages 18 - 23] Went to college and graduated with a Bachelors of Science in both neurology and psychology. (She changed her mind about *three fourths of the way through about what she wanted to do. Decided to finish up her neurology degree since it only required a few extra classes.)
- 2315 - 2317: [Ages 25 - 27] Marriage and subsequent divorce from her first husband (ended on good terms).
- 2319: [Age 29] Earned her Doctorate of Medicine in Psychiatry. Hired on as a psychiatrist in a psychiatric hospital specializing in long-term and permanent patients.
- 2339: [Age 48] Went into a group practice. Focused on ‘difficult’ patients, those with severe traumas, physically caused mental illnesses, hybrid children, and individuals who were antagonistic to gentler or more emotional approaches.
- 2346 - 2350 [Ages 55 - 59] Her second marriage and subsequent divorce (ended on extremely bitter terms).
- 2351 - 2356: [Ages 60 - 65] Went back to school and earned her Doctorate of Philosophy in Neurology
- 2356: [Age 65] Went back into private practice, this time on her own.
- 2377: [Age 86] Her mother dies at the ripe old age of 129.
- 2388: [Age 97] Signed up for Starfleet for a change of pace and patients.
- 2393: [Age 102] Completed the security coursework, finished her cadet cruise. Was assigned to Starbase 118 Ops. Was later promoted to Assistant Chief of Security.
- 2394: [Age 103] Promoted to Chief of Security.
- 2396: [Age 105] Transfered to Starbase 98 temporarily.
- 2397: [Age 106] Transferred back to Starbase 118. Became pregnant with her first child.
Ishani was conceived from a short fling between Yasmin Kasun, at the time a Lieutenant in Starfleet, and Jakarn, scion of a dying race, professional author and party boy. Neither was looking for a long term partner, so when Yasmin decided to keep her unexpected pregnancy they went their separate ways after setting up a semi co-parenting arrangement to both their satisfactions; Yasmin would raise their daughter as a single mother and would be in charge of the majority of her upbringing, Jakarn would have all the visitation he wanted and could freely teach as much or as little about her El Aurian heritage as he liked.
The first few years of Ishani’s life were fairly standard for the only child of a Starfleet officer. Her mother was assigned multiple times during her childhood; which meant that Ishani had gotten real good at making new friends. However unlike most children the regular moves were actually helpful for Ishani. As a half El Aurian Ishani aged much slower than her peers, which made it hard to keep friendships as her classmates grew up and moved on to the next stage of development, a difference that became more stark as she aged. When she was in high school she still looked like (and emotionally acted like) a prepubescent girl. While her female peers were crushing on boys and dating, Ishani was still in the boys have cooties stage.
It was her biological youth that contributed to the downfall of her first marriage. Ishani first met Luke, her eventual first husband, while in college. Despite their seemingly chronological age gap (Ishani was 24, Luke was 19) Ishani and Luke were at the same emotional and biological age. Once it got started their romance was quick and hormone based; they announced their engagement after less than a year of dating and were married only a few months later. While they were initially compatible as time went on those compatibilities faded as they both matured towards full adulthood. Not long after their second anniversary they both realized that they were both had changed (and were still changing) in ways that made them no longer compatible as romantic partners and agreed to split. Their divorce was extremely amicable and they have remained close friends ever since. Ishani was even a groomswoman when he married his second wife, Niyani, and is the godmother of his second child.
Two years after the divorce Ishani graduated with her Doctorate of Psychiatry and was hired on as a staff psychiatrist at an institution for long term and permanent inpatient stays based in the old Canada region on Earth. She worked there for nearly twenty years and the job taught her many valuable skills, such as how to subdue someone who’s trying to kill you without harming them, communicate with those whom the objective reality is hard to grasp, recognize lies, and how to remain cool as a cucumber no matter the chaos surrounding you. After leaving the institution she accepted a position at a group practice as a staff psychiatrist. While her patients started out the same as those in her previous position, though obviously nowhere near as severe, she eventually expanded into helping hybrid children and those who did not fit within their culture’s/species’ norms in general. She found the work far less stressful and more satisfying than her last position, if only due to the fact that her patients showed significant progress.
It was during this time she met and married her second husband, Evan. While this time her husband was well past young adulthood he was still more than a decade younger than her. They dated for four years before getting engaged; neither were in much of a hurry to get to the altar and, having been burned by it before in previous relationships, Ishani wanted to be certain that Even was fine with having her stay the same while he aged. Since he had grown up around longer lived species, Evan felt that he would be fine with it. But hypotheticals are always different than the reality; as he and his friends and siblings approached middle age the fact that she was exactly the same while his hair was beginning to thin and he was getting soft around the middle ate away at him and began affecting the stability of their marriage. Ishani had such high hopes for this marriage being ‘the one’, which made it all the more tragic to watch it deteriorate into a bitter, twisted mess with nothing she could realistically do about it.
After the dust had settled after her second divorce Ishani decided she desperately needed to get away from it all, at least for a time. She settled on going back to school and earning her Doctorate in Neurology. In the end it was less a career shift and more a career enhancement; she chose to research neural development in hybrid children, with an unofficial focus on how this affected their mental state. Doctorate degree in hand she went back to work as a psychiatrist, this time in her own individual practice on Alpha Centauri. This time her practice focused solely on hybrid children and those who felt like outsiders in their own culture. She would own her practice for over thirty years and would see many a patient come and go as they successfully completed their individual treatments.
It was during this period in her life that Ishani met one of her numerous half siblings, Jian Kuan Yuen, for the first time. She had been set up on a date with Jian by a mutual friend and while attraction had been there they both discovered halfway through the date that they shared a father, awkward to say the least. Despite said awkwardness they’ve kept in touch in the years since, though their schedules and now Ishani’s career change has kept it mostly to occasional letters.
In 2377, not long after Ishani’s 86th birthday, her mother passed away. Ishani was devastated by her death despite logically knowing that Yasmin had been 129 years old at the time of her death, had lived a long and fulfilling life and that it was something Ishani knew would be coming eventually. The one silver lining was that her mother’s death brought her closer to her father who had been a distant but loving parent for all these years.
Ten years after her mother’s death, Ishani decided it was time for a more drastic change. Initially she was uncertain what she wanted to do instead; she had been a psychiatrist for sixty years by that point and while she had a degree in neurology, her second degree had been pursued and used for the betterment of her psychiatry work. She initially focused on going back to college to move into research and teaching, but she wasn’t all that excited about the idea. By the time she actually retired she was still undecided about what she wanted to do, but the idea of having time to relax and destress with no pressing matters waiting for her was an enticing one. She could always figure things out when she finally got bored. The actual idea of what she wanted to do next was germinated by random chance. Not long into her temporary retirement she decided to visit her cousins who in turn decided to use her visit as an excuse for a family reunion and a celebration of several family members’ life milestones at the same time. One of said milestones was one of her cousin’s youngest grandson’s graduation from Starfleet Academy, which got her thinking in that direction. Ishani had been a Starfleet brat and she had remained connected to that lifestyle via her mother, who had effectively died in the uniform, her extended family and several of her childhood friends who had gone into Starfleet themselves. She knew what she would be getting into if she joined Starfleet and the different environment of a ship or a base appealed to her.
Initially she was enrolled into Starfleet Academy’s medical program, but alas fate had other plans. Due to several nasty and chaotic incidents on several of their starbases Starfleet was putting together a new kind of security team to specifically handle crises on their bases and they needed experienced people to staff it. Ishani was asked to join and after giving it a bit of thought switched from the medical program to security.
After completing her cadet cruise she was assigned to Starbase 118 and was almost immediately pulled into a crisis. A visiting diva’s ship troubles led to several of her new crewmates kidnapped, including her half brother Taelon who she had just learned about that morning, leading herself and the rest of the senior crew to go rescue them. After many trials and injuries, she and the rest of the unkidnapped group rescued their crewmates, the diva, her assistant, and a host of now former Orion slaves.
University of Washington
Degree Earned: Bachelors of Science in Neurology and Psychology
Degree Earned: Doctorate of Medicine in Psychiatry
University of Alpha Centauri
Degree Earned: Doctorate of Philosophy in Neurology
Thesis: Epigenetic Mechanisms Involved in the Neural Development of Hybrids
Specializations: Emergency Psychiatry and Crisis Management
|Cadet First Class||239303.15||Graduated Starfleet Academy||Graduate|
|Ensign||239306.18 - 239311.03||Starbase 118 Ops/USS Albion||Security Officer|
|Lieutenant Junior Grade||239311.03 - 239408.13||Starbase 118 Ops/USS Columbia||Assistant Chief of Security|
|Lieutenant||239408.13 - 239504.07||Starbase 118 Ops/USS Columbia||Chief of Security|
|Lieutenant Commander||239504.07 - 239604.19||Starbase 118 Ops/USS Columbia||Chief of Security|
|Lieutenant Commander||239604.19 - 239709.29||Template:Starbase 98||Chief of Security|
|Lieutenant Commander||239709.29 - Current||Starbase 118 Ops/USS Narendra||Chief of Security|
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
|NPC Listing · StarBase 118 Ops Crew Manifest · Crew History