CON:Promotion of Commanding Officers (Bylaw)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Constitution Rewrite series|
Promotion of Commanding Officers (EC2378-0001, -0002, CC2380-0002)
- PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF COMMANDER. For an officer to be eligible for promotion to the rank of Commander the following criteria must be satisfied:
- The officer must hold the rank of Lieutenant Commander and have held said rank for a minimum of 90 days;
- The officer must act as the primary and lead training officer for at least TWO training sessions in the Academy;
- The officer must first be nominated by their Commanding Officer (CO) (who must hold the rank of at least Commander), AND second by their acting First Officer or another officer of at least the rank of Commander;
- The officer may not nominate him or herself;
- The nomination shall be to the Captain Council list or what ever format of communication the Captain's Council as constituted by the UFOP Constitution is currently using.
- If the above criteria are satisfied, the command examination proctor (holding the post continually and appointed by the EC) shall contact the nominee and schedule a sitting for the written exam. After successful completion of the written exam, the officer's CO shall submit the results of a practical exam to the CC before the promotion may take place.
- The practical exam should require the nominee to demonstrate leadership abilities, and may be conducted under normal plot circumstances. The practical exam shall not, however, require the officer to command their vessel in a situation where the CO is absent out of character. Should at any time the CO be absent for more than 14 days, unannounced, the EC will either substitute another officer of the rank of Captain or above to complete the practical, or will stop the practical until it can be resumed under suitable conditions.
- The results of the practical exam shall be submitted in the format of a completed template form, hereafter referred to as the 'Practical Evaluation Form' (PEF). The PEF must have been pre-approved by the CC and the most up-to-date version of it shall be stored on the UFOP website and continually held by the command examination proctor. Outdated versions of the PEF are void and may not be used once an updated version has been approved by the CC. The practical exam will be designed by the nominee's CO. Ideally these results should be submitted no later than 6 months after the Commander's written test is taken. Nothing in this by law prevents the practical exam from being administered before the written exam.
- Once both the written and practical examination results have been submitted to the CC, the council membership shall vote on the sum of the nominee's skills and performance on the examinations and approve or deny the promotion to Commander.
- Should the promotion be approved the officer immediately receives an Out of Character (OOC) club promotion to Commander. The date of final CC approval shall be entered into UPDS as their effective date of promotion. The nominee should be promoted in name and practice In Character (IC) as soon as realistically possible within the plot.
- PROMOTION TO THE RANK OF CAPTAIN. For an officer to be eligible for promotion to the rank of Captain the following criteria must be satisfied:
- The officer must hold the rank of Commander and have held said rank for a minimum of 90 days;
- The officer must be nominated by at least two officers of no less than Commander rank to the EC or one of its members;
- If the above criteria are satisfied the EC shall vote as to whether to approve the nomination of the candidate. If the nomination is approved the officer shall be submitted for the relevant assessment(s) as conducted by an EC-authorised body.
- PROMOTION BEYOND THE RANK OF CAPTAIN. For an officer to be eligible for promotion beyond the rank of Captain the following criteria must be satisfied:
- The officer must hold a rank no less than one rank below the nominated rank and have held said rank for a minimum of 90 days;
- The officer must be nominated by at least two officers of Captain rank or greater to the EC or one of its members.
- If the above criteria are satisfied the EC shall vote as to whether to approve the nomination of the candidate. If the candidate is a member of the EC then the candidate is ineligible to vote on the matter and the "captain at large" shall be included in the vote.