Lieutenant Sabina Tiam is currently serving as Counselor aboard the USS Gorkon.
- Full Name: Sabina Tiam
- Race: Betazoid
- Date of Birth: 236511.18
- Place of Birth: Ritva, Betazed
- Age: 26
- Gender: Female
- Height: 5'3"
- Weight: 130
- T/E: T4/E4
- Hair Color: Black
- Length of Hair: Mid back with bangs, longer when straightened
- Eye Color: Blue, artificial
- Skin Tone: Alabaster
- Birthmarks, Scars: None
- Tattoos, Piercings & Body Modifications’’’: One large, watercolor tattoo spanning from the mid ribs to the mid thigh on her right side. It depicts several flowers native to Betazed. Sabina also three helix piercings along her right ear in addition to two lobe piercings on each ear. She usually wears simple silver rings while on duty.
- Build: Strong, curvy
- Face: Diamond shaped with defined cheek bones
- Eyes: Narrow
- Mouth: Shapely, but often tense
- Carriage: Sabina moves with a constant awareness of her body. She is graceful but rarely relaxed.
- Poses: In meetings, Sabina will lean back in her chair while listening intently. She can look fairly calculating at times. She likes to use furniture in less than conventional ways. Things like sitting backwards on a chair, or on top of a bar are not uncommon for her.
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Catsuits or jumpsuits paired with long flowing outwear usually made of lightweight fabric. She typically also wears elaborate necklaces, bracelets and rings when going to events or get togethers.
- Shoes: Sabina refuses to wear heels, causing her lack of height to be quite apparent. Something about growing up in nature and being barefooted most of the time left her with a tolerance for little more than sandals. On duty, she does begrudgingly handle wearing flat duty boots.
- Voice: She speaks with a melodic accent marked mostly by prominent open vowel sounds.
- Handedness: Right
- Quarters: Sabina keeps her quarters tidy. Her personal belongings are limited to a few important things like her hula hoops and a few art pieces. She also keeps a small meditation alter in her living space that features candles, crystals from home and small figures in the shape of characters from Betazoid mythology.
- Favorite Room: Bedroom. On long assignments she brings her own, very plush, bedding. Everything is done in dark purple and silver.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Sabina practices a Betazoid spiritually that includes beliefs in multiple deities as well as spirits called Karawati.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: To stay active, and out of a love of performance, Sabina practices hoop dancing as well as aerial silks. She worked consistently in San Francisco with a local aerial arts studio where she became quite proficient at the hobby.
- Dance and Music
- Ground Combat Situations
- Ambitions and Goals: Sabina hopes to become an accomplished diplomat or negotiator. Though, she is still young and open to the possibilities of her new career in Starfleet.
- Achievements in Life: Tiam is proud to have left home and joined Starfleet. The break it caused with her family has been difficult, but she sees her graduation from the Academy as an accomplishment made all the more rewarding for the independence she needed to achieve it.
- Disappointments in Life: A child during the Dominion attack on Betazed, Sabina has always been disappointed she wasn't able to assist in the defense of her home.
- Temperament: Sabina is a very polite and friendly officer. But she carries the Betazoid trait of openness and has a rebellious spirit. Consequently, she is often thought of as someone who would say anything, to anyone. Some colleagues and authority figures have found this to be useful and are grateful she speaks her mind. Still others have thought her to be brash and feel she speaks at inappropriate times.
Family and Relationships
- Mother: Risha Tiam, teacher of religious studies. Sabina’s mother is a very traditional woman. She believes deeply in her religious teachings as well as the old fashioned idea that women should always run the household. Risha has made it her mission to increase the social status of her family name, whatever the cost. Many of her hopes for achieving this now rest on the decision of whom Sabina will eventually marry. Risha Tiam did not take kindly to Sabina leaving for Earth, and while they have reconciled after a long period of silence, the relationship between mother and daughter is strained at best.
- Father: Micah Marcil Tiam, adjudicator in the Betazoid government. Micah Marcil Tiam is a humble, progressive man. He was bonded to Risha Tiam at birth and in adulthood went through with his prearranged marriage. Eventually, he developed a deep love for Risha, despite her less than modern ways. He frequently works away from home and managed to maintain a relationship with Sabina after she left Betazed in large part because of his consistent support of her choices.
- Siblings: None
- Spouse: As traditional for Betazoids, Sabina is bonded to Fyn Alden, a Betazoid diplomat. They are yet unmarried. Upon Fyn’s visit to Starbase 118, the two discussed the idea of going forward with the marriage and what it would mean for them both. Ultimately, Sabina explained that she would not be return to Betazed permanently any time in the near future and any wedding plans were postponed indefinitely. Though, Fyn still holds on to some hope that Sabina will change her mind before he is forced to move on.
- Children: None
- Other Notable Relationships:
- Misha Rhonin: Formerly Sabina’s college professor, Misha Rhonin is one of Sabina’s oldest friends and her most trusted confidant. Misha currently serves as a professor at the University of Betazed as well as maintaining a career as lobbyist in the Betazoid government.
Born in Ritva, a small town in a northern mountain range on Betazed, Sabina grew up helping her mother and father attend to the temple in their town. There, Sabina's mother taught the religion of Betazed to children and adult practitioners alike. As such, she was homeschooled most of her life. Her father worked in the Betazoid government and was absent often. But he was a caring and active parent while home.
Growing up, Sabina enjoyed academics. Her passion for learning has only grown over time. She became fascinated with societies and governments. How they rose and fell, and the rebel groups that attempted to cause change became her favored area of study.
In the warm months, She would play with the older children from her town. They would run through the woods and play a telepaths game of hide and seek, changeling themselves to locate the other children using only their mental powers. The play would often become very serious. In retrospect, Sabina thought it might have been because they all had gone through the Dominion attack on Betazed. They may have been the only Betazoid generation to play such war games.
Tiam attended the University of Betazed at age 16. While she was academically talented, her main motivation was to get away from home. Her parents had grown to expect that she take over their duties at the temple. While Sabina is religious, she craved more out of her life. Begrudgingly, her parents allowed her to attend the University, but they stayed skeptical. While there, she studied psychology and sociology with a focus on revolutions.
Her parents worry about her attending university away from home would prove wise. Sabina learned two things there: communicating verbally with non-Betazoids may never be her strong suit and she needed more than that small, mountain town she had come from. At the end of her time at University, Sabina applied for and was accepted into Starfleet Academy. She left for San Francisco the day of graduation from UofB. It was an emotional day to say the least. Sabina had never been off world and that was the first her parents heard of her application to Starfleet.
Tiam enjoyed her time at the Academy. She majored in Intelligence, minored in communications and took any available diplomacy courses. Her species of specialty ended up being the Romulans and she has since stayed current on her language skills. Though, her accent is even more apparent in Romulan.
While living in San Francisco, Sabina began working with a local performance tribe in her off time. It was there she learned to hoop and perform aerial silks.
Upon graduation from the Academy, she entered into Starfleet Intelligence training where she specialized as an analyst. Taking advantage of the proximity to an Academy campus, Sabina also began taking courses in psychology and counseling as she knew they would be useful to her once she was on assignment. A review of Tiam’s final evaluations at the end of her SFI training was given a deferred decision. Consequently, her initial posting was in tactical.
Ever the academic, upon her posting to Starbase 118, Sabina once again embraced the benefit of having an institution of higher learning in her backyard. Quietly, as she hated gossip about unfinished goals, Sabina completed her courses for certification as a Starfleet counselor and (thanks to a sister schools program and distance learning) was able to begin her work on a Master’s degree in psychology with a focus on diplomacy from the University of Betazed.
- 2391: Assigned to the USS Apollo-A as a tactical officer, Sabina was eager to prove herself. Her first posting turned out to be a positive growing experience. Her preconceptions about life as an officer were challenged, as was her ability to work with all types of people. After an altogether successful mission, Tiam was informed her transfer to Intelligence was approved. However, her excitement was short-lived. Mid shore leave just as the year was ending and prior to what would have been her first mission in the Intelligence department, Sabina received transfer orders.
- 239201: At the turn of the year, Tiam was posted to Starbase 118’s Ops crew again as a tactical officer. While the switch back to a yellow collar was a bit of a disappointment, the prospect of life on a starbase in the Trinity sector was exciting. And working as a tactical officer on a starbase would prove to be a unique experience in and of itself. Her first mission under the station’s new CO turned out to be a very close call for the away team Tiam was on. The reality of the risks associated with life in Starfleet were being made very clear to her and began to weigh on her choices.
- 239202-239204: It seemed the starbase was destined for difficulties. After the attack on 118, two powerful, telepathic entities caught the station in the middle of their dispute. During this mission, the small away team Tiam was a part of suffered abuse and telepathic violation. This incident left a dark shadow over the young woman as she attempted to deal with the trauma alone. Following these incidents, Tiam was approached and recruited by the station's new Chief of Intelligence to once again put on a black collar and work as an analyst. Unwilling to allow one difficult mission to deter her career, Tiam eagerly accepted the departmental transfer.
|Cadet First Class||239109.09||Graduated Starfleet Academy||Tactical Officer|
|Ensign||239109.10||USS Apollo-A||Tactical Officer|
|Ensign||239112.31||StarBase 118 Ops||Tactical Officer|
|Lieutenant JG||239202.15||StarBase 118 Ops||Tactical Officer|
|Lieutenant||239204.29||StarBase 118 Ops||Intelligence Officer|
Awards and Service Ribbons
|Legion of Merit||239202.15||Starbase118 Ops||Commander Leo Handley-Page|
|Captain's Commendation||239204.29||Starbase118 Ops||Commander Leo Handley-Page|
|Prometheus Ribbon||239207.14||Starbase118 Ops||Commander Leo Handley-Page|
|NPC Listing · USS Gorkon Crew Manifest · Crew History