Lightside station, commonly called The Spike by its inhabitants, orbits a waste land of a planet in the Orstand system. A large station about 10km long, and 3km wide, the station was built as a haven when the planet it circles was dying hundreds of years ago. Built originally as an ark for the planets populace which, through ecological mismanagement, destroyed their own planet. Due to a combination of necessity and a natural inclination of the builders, the station became an economic hub for the region. Over time the population of the Spike diversified with a variety of races moving in. As the years went on the Kalinda slowly moved out of the station and on to their outer colonies. More non Kalinda made the station home, setting up businesses and catering to the merchant population in the region. Repair bays exist for small to medium starships, restaurants, recreation facilities, if there is a market for it, someone on the Spike is willing to offer it.
The Kalinda maintain control of the station as their territory, but operate it as a money making business. Few Kalinda still live on the station that don’t have some commercial interest there or aren’t part of the small Kalinda administration. The population of the station is diverse with Ferengi, Cardassian, Naussican, and other known independent and mercantile races making up a large amount of the populace. There are a number of residents from Federation species that have decided they want a more independent lifestyle outside the confines of Federation Law.
While most of the businesses operating on the Spike are legitimate and above board, it is well known that anything can be bought there, regardless of how legally questionable it might be. Officially the Kalinda administration frowns upon this black market but they don’t seem to take much action to try and root it out.
- Location: Stable orbit of the third planet of the Orstand system
- Length: 10KM
- Diameter: 3KM at widest, 500 meters at the narrowest
- Decks: 2000
Lightside station contains 2000 standard decks, a number of engineering spaces situated between decks, and numerous areas in the commercial and habitat areas having combined decks to create large sections of open space. The Station is situated with it's long axis pointing towards the planet, with the narrowest portion closest to the planet. The decks are numbered starting at deck 1 at the very bottom of the station and deck 2000 towards the top. The station is divided up into Administration, Docking and Maintenance, Industrial, Residential, and Commercial.
The administration section of the station takes up the first fifty decks of the station. The headquarters of most of the stations departments, minus engineering, are located here. This section is generally closed off to non staff members without specific business with the administrators. While a few key posts are held by Kalinda, most of the key positions have been staffed by other races who were simply looking for work.
Docking and Maintenance
The commercial section takes up the top 200 decks of the station. Made up of various plazas, hallways, alleys and corridors, the commercial section caters to any many tastes. In places two to five decks have been combined to create large open spaces, some akin to shopping plazas, others botanical gardens.
- Starlight Market: Starlight Market is focused on food and drink, containing restaurants, cafes, and various stalls selling ingredients from around the Aavaro Wilds and beyond.
- Kreal's Tea Shop: Kreal runs a small tea shop with varieties from across the region. There is a small seating area for enjoying a quiet cup any time of the day.
- O'Callahan's Pub: Sean O'Callahan runs an authentic Irish pub from Earth with hand prepared, not replicated, foods and brewed spirits from the Emerald Isle. A touch of Earth so far from home.
- Cosmini Curios: A weird emporium of trinkets, ancient weaponry, and forgotten relics. All ranging from the academic to semi-legal for those willing to pay.
- La Cantina Estrella: Mexican (Earth) themed restaurant with excellent food, generous drinks, and a great Mariachi band.
- Garments by Uliria: High-end clothing boutique run by Uliria Peltori. Every stitch in every garment is custom, and the fittings feel like magic.
- Fusion Haven: An all-inclusive spa on par with those found on Risa.
- The Stealthy Fish: A restaurant known for its Camarian food.
- Kazina Eksplodo: An area just off Starlight Market dedicated to games of chance, holosuite adventures, and any other recreational activity enjoyed by aliens from across the Wilds.
- The Up and Down: A nightlife district spanning at least 5 decks, offering various entertainment venues usually popular from the late evenings well into the early morning hours. They range from mere drinking holes over more sophisticated bars, nightclubs, cinemas and theatres down to an actual arena.
- Soliton Wave: A nightclub with a strong emphasis on alternate culture and lifestyles.
- Fit to the core: All-hours fitness center with an industrial theme, somewhat hidden away from mainstreet.