|Chief of Nursing|
|Leran Manev, Trill|
Lt. Commander Kael Tam was the Chief of Nursing aboard the USS Gorkon.
- Height: 1.85m (6'1'')
- Weight: 74.84kg (165lbs).
- Hair Colour: Chestnut Brown.
- Eye Colour: Dark Brown.
- Skin Tone: Caucasian, with typical Trill markings.
- Birthmarks, Scars: No significant scars or birthmarks.
- Tattoos/Body Modifications: None.
- Build: Muscular.
- Carriage: Confident, relaxed and fluid.
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Simple tunics, shirts and pants in neutral colours.
- Voice: Warm and rich.
- Handedness: Left-handed.
Kael Tam is a kind, personable, easy-going man with a ready sense of humour. He is a good listener, and enjoys supporting and encouraging others. He has a strong sense of compassion and duty and is not above speaking his mind if he thinks a particular course of action is not in a patient's best interests or unethical.
Despite his gregarious nature, Kael can be remarkably closed about his own personal feelings and past. Very few people know about his family - especially his daughter - and fewer still know about his youth on Trill. He doesn't like spending time alone and keeps busy with other people, even when solitude would be beneficial to him. The needs of other people are very important to him and he frequently places them above his own, sacrificing his own priorities.
Hobbies and Pastimes
- Self-defence: Kael enjoys Renzati, a Trill form of boxing.
Likes and Dislikes
- People: Kael thrives on social contact and enjoys the company of other people.
- Pure Logic: As a people person, Kael always tries to consider the 'human' aspect of a situation and finds cold logic hard to comprehend.
Ambitions and Goals
After the death of his wife, many of Kael's ambitions were pushed aside for the simple goal of surviving from each day to the next. While things are improving, he still has few long-reaching goals other than doing his job to the best of his ability.
Personal Achievements and Disappointments
Kael is proud of his Starfleet record and the commendations he has received from his superior officers, as well the reputation and rank he has earned for himself. He feels that while there is always more to learn, he is a capable and skilled nurse who actively assists in his patient's recovery.
One enduring disappointment is his perceived failure as a father. Unable to cope with raising his daughter Aimi alone, he left her in the care of his parents while continuing his Starfleet career. Though he feels he is letting her down, he finds himself unwilling or unable to request a posting where his daughter could join him.
- Marital Status: Widower
- Wife: Idra Tam (Deceased)
- Number of children: One
- Daughter: Aimi Tam.
- Mother: Maia Tam (57, lawyer)
- Father: Jeran Tam (56, novelist)
- Sister: Anja Hahn.
Kael is one of the few natural Trill telepaths and was raised from a young age to be a Guardian in the employ of the Symbiosis Commission, assisting and facilitating the varied rites that joined Trill and their symbionts participate in. It was an upbringing he rebelled against and when he was 18, he left Trill to join Starfleet as an enlisted crewman, specialising in emergency medical care. He maintains to this day that he made the right decision and was grateful when his parents supported him in it. His sister Anja, an aspiring host, was less enthused by his decision and her subsequent joining with the symbiont Hahn has resulted in continuing strained relations between the pair.
He met his future wife Idra while on teaching assignment to Starfleet Medical; she was a systems technician involved in the maintenance of the complex computers employed there. After several months together, they returned to Trill and married. Their daughter, Aimi, was born two years later, an event Kael would described as "the most important in his life".
Idra's death in 2380 shook Kael to his foundations. The medical outpost they had both been posted to was raided by Romulans who had splintered from the Empire after the assassination of the Romulan Senate in 2379. Kael was away attending a conference when the attack occurred and escaped unscathed. He took a leave of absence for a month and returned to Trill with Aimi. His return to Starfleet was accompanied by a new posting and one that took him away from his daughter, though he has yet to reveal if that is by coincidence or design.
Awards & Commendations
Kael's Starfleet dossier paints a picture of a reliable, devoted member of Starfleet. There are a number of endorsements and commendations on his record and his steady promotion through the ranks speak highly of him. He has, of yet, shown no interest in taking the bridge commander's test.
Kael is fastidious about keeping his working areas clean and tidy, and his office is noticeably spotless.
- 234809.01: Born.
- 237209.03: Enters Starfleet Academy.
- 237403.19: Kael's sister, Anja, joins with the Seren symbiont.
- 237606.05: Graduates from the Academy.
- 237608.18: Marries Idra, in a traditional Trill ceremony.
- 237804.23: Kael's daughter, Aimi, is born.
- 237812.31: Promoted to Lieutenant (JG), posted to Medical Outpost 297.
- 238002.17: Idra dies during a renegade Romulan attack on the medical outpost she and Kael were stationed at.
- 238106.07: Promoted to Lieutenant, posted to USS Eclipse.
- 238405.10: Posted to the USS Triumphant.
- 238409.04: Posted to Starfleet Medical.
- 238511.27: Posted to Starbase 118.
- 238610.24: Promoted to Lieutenant Commander, posted to the USS Eagle.
- DATE: Posted to
- 239207.14: Posted to the USS Gorkon.
|NPC Listing · USS Gorkon Crew Manifest · Crew History