|Species||3/4 Andorian, 1/4 Aenar|
Akeen th'Idrani is currently serving as an Engineering Officer aboard the USS Doyle-A.
- Height: 6'5" (1.96 m)
- Weight: 165 lbs (75 kg)
- Build: With a muscular structure leaning toward the slimmer half of what can generally be considered athletic, his body denotes training that focuses on being useful, rather than visually impressive.
- Hair: White, as long as he can get away with it, usually unkempt or hastily combed to one side (which tends to be done with his hands).
- Eyes: Green
- Skin: Light blue
- Notable marks: One scar, clearly originating from a deep cut, across his left cheekbone.
- Carriage: Upright, with a note of military rigidity.
- Poses: Mostly tense and alert. His typical response to 'at-ease' has him standing with his legs slightly further apart than the width of his shoulders, his weight distributed more toward the left, while his right hand reaches toward the place where he usually keeps something he can probably use as a weapon. When seated, if there's nothing in front of him, he usually leans forward, his elbows resting just behind his knees, as if getting ready to jump to his feet. Akeen doesn't shy away from taking up more space than strictly required, but he also looks as if he expects to get challenged for the privilege.
- Voice: A gravelly basso with a distinct sibilant overtone.
- Off-duty apparel: His clothes, much like his shoes, tend to be well-worn, comfortable, resilient and versatile. The colours he normally goes for are either on the lighter side of things or visibly faded, possibly in defiance of a slur some of his fellow Andorians can use to refer to him.
- Handedness: Right
- Quarters: Orderly, in his own opinion - which is to say that he knows where everything is and, perhaps, why it's there in the first place as well, but someone else might have a hard time finding anything - and objectively clean. His ushaan-tor has its own special spot on the wall, hopefully never to be used again in ritual combat - but he still keeps it shaving-sharp, just in case.
- Favorite Drink: Talla, cold and unsweetened.
- Favorite Food: A carnivore at heart, Akeen enjoys a variety of meat-based dishes from several cultures, but his favourites are, generally, seafood - either recipes from his homeworld or Klingon broiled Karada legs, with a healthy serving of Hari bread on the side. He also has (more than) a bit of a sweet tooth.
- Mannerisms: Having acquired a vast vocabulary of colourful words and sayings from numerous languages during his time on his thavan's freighter, Akeen is often tempted to wield it, but usually manages to censor himself in time while in polite company. This, however, leads to a series of telltale pauses in his speech patterns. He has also been known to whistle various tunes while working - usually when he's properly absorbed by what he's doing and / or on his own.
- Religion / Spiritual Devotion: An atheist raised in a somewhat-religious household, Akeen will sometimes mention Andorian deities, but definitely not from a worshiper's standpoint.
- Hobbies and pastimes: Akeen loves spending quality time with a handful of PADDs; while his preferences lean toward professional literature, he has also developed an eclectic taste for fiction and philosophy. He is also fond of luthiery, a natural consequence of repairing and maintaining the musical instruments his zhavey played and composed for, which he explores further in his study of the Earth fiddle, something he used to think was quite exotic before his time in Starfleet Academy (apparently, even the fact that he uses it as a percussion instrument sometimes isn't). While in the gym, he practices mixed martial arts; a trained Human eye might notice a leaning toward Savate, which is due to the fact that it also comes from a background of fighting on hazardous terrain, as is the case on Andoria.
- Likes: Pensive, intense music, introspection, the 'good' sort of tiredness one feels after a proper day's work or a solid training session, pushing things (and himself) beyond their theoretical limits.
- Dislikes: Crowds, surprises, not having a thermostat in his quarters, people who get too familiar from too early on.
- Ambitions and Goals: Making the most of what he has and, someday, being able to show others how to do it as well.
- Achievements in Life: Becoming a Starfleet officer.
- Disappointments in Life: Being deemed genetically unfit for shelthreth and, thus, rendered quite likely unable to ever have a family of his own, at least with his own kind.
- Temperament: A pretty obvious introvert, Akeen usually presents the world with a cold, businesslike exterior. He works, trains and studies even more ravenously than he eats and he can speak for hours on end about subjects he enjoys, however, and, in spite of what others might think of his species, he actually does have a sense of humour, even though it can be a bit more dark, fatalistic and, let's not forget, offbeat than would be common in many cultures. Inquisitive and analytical, he has a good chance of making things work if he has an intimate understanding of how they work beforehand and he is more likely to be able to improve a system or improvise a quick solution to a problem rather than creating something from scratch. Gifted (or cursed, depending on the situation) with a mischievous streak, he has, on occasion, played harmless pranks on his fellow sentients.
- Strengths: Hard-working, patient, fast on his feet and reliable, the Andorian will probably never be the life of any given party, but he can be a worthwhile asset professionally. While it takes time for him to warm up to people, he is fiercely loyal to his family, friends and crew and it's likely that he will die before divulging any secrets he's been entrusted with. He also has absolute pitch, which he usually employs to identify problems in the machinery he's familiar with, as well as to write down and reproduce bits and pieces of tunes that catch his attention.
- Flaws: Be wary when allowing Akeen to speak plainly - he's probably given it some thought already and the result might be uncomfortable. While capable of a limited degree of subterfuge when absolutely needed, the thaan's nature is brutally honest otherwise, praising and criticizing with the same amount of ease. There's a dark side to pretty much every good thing one can say about him: he will work himself to the bone if left to his own devices, he will put his own well-being at risk just for the sake of delivering what he said he would and his patient nature, coupled with the fact that he sometimes tend to overthink things, can make him seem indecisive in personal interactions.
- Mental Limitations: Akeen is extremely afraid of being shunned, which is part of the reason why he goes out of his way to help others or just make himself useful whenever possible.
- Physical Limitations: Even for an Andorian, Akeen is extremely sensitive to high temperatures, which is likely due to his Aenar heritage. His overall performance tends to start being visibly affected in ambient temperatures starting at 28 degrees Celsius and sustained physical exertion in spaces hotter than 40 degrees Celsius is extremely likely to cause heat stroke. His absolute pitch can also be a powerful hindrance: when exposed to loud dissonant audio signals, he can become physically ill.
- Spoken Languages: Andorii, Federation Standard, Trader's Tongue, Klin trade patois, limited Ferengi and Klingon.
- Thalavreni zh'Idraani (zhavey; composer)
- Palozhevi sh'Idrani (shreya; Quartermaster of the SS Thanatok)
- Shassrythiab ch'Idrani (charan; chirurgeon)
- Thanashal th'Idrani (thavan; Captain of the SS Thanatok)
Born in Harbortown, in a quad consisting of three Andorians and an Aenar, Akeen's budding years were spent as a child of the metropolis, his naturally-blind zhavey the only constant parental presence in his life, given the nature of the others' professions. Shunned from early on by part of his peers due to his visible Aenar heritage, the boy quickly learned how to defend himself when things got physical, as well as picking up the importance of ingratiating himself to authority figures and older, stronger people willing to lend him a hand. He found solace in the ever-present music he found at home and the noble art of tinkering, which he explored with rare gusto whenever his duties at school allowed it.
Not long after he was deemed genetically unfit for shelthreth, disaster struck his family when his thavan, who had been serving as First Officer on an Andorian Defense Force battlecruiser, was honorably discharged from service after losing his left arm to a Nausicaan disruptor while repelling boarders on a freighter they had been escorting. Not allowing such 'trifling' matters to put either of them down, Thanashal quickly enlisted in the Andorian Merchant Marine and, upon receiving his first command, took his thei with him to the stars, where they were quickly joined by the young thaan's shreya, who took the first opportunity to put in a transfer request. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Akeen, whom they ended up treating much like one of their engineers after he had properly learned his way around the ship's systems, would walk the same path as his progenitor and go to the Academy to pursue his studies further - and so it came to pass that he returned to Andoria when the time was right, He had a decent head start, because Thanashal had armed both his freighter and his crew to the teeth with great haste, giving it a greater degree of autonomy; while the prime objective had been repelling threats on their own, this also allowed him to pursue several forays into the grey market, managing to stay away from truly dangerous and 'hot' cargo, but hardly considering themselves above carrying various small items of luxury or even scavenging the pirate vessels they unavoidably came across. As a consequence, his offspring managed to acquire real-world knowledge about his field of choice, along with some amount of foreign languages and this and that in matters of trade and subterfuge.
Dedicating himself to his studies with a ravenous passion which was also fueled by the need to avoid confronting the people who wanted a go at him for being a 'fade', an insulting term reserved for Andorians with Aenar blood, among other things, for almost three years, Akeen finally cracked when one of his classmates openly insulted the albino race in class, using him and his zhavey as examples. He challenged the chan to the Ushaan and ended the confrontation quickly by hamstringing his opponent with a risky move he had picked up from an Yridian smuggler; having practically dived into the beginning of a slash to reach his adversary's legs, his throat wasn't opened, but his cheek was - and he still bears the scar from that duel with pride. No disciplinary action was taken against either of them, since they had both conformed to tradition and nothing more came out of it, but he chose to leave at the end of the term and apply at Starfleet Academy instead, starting his studies from scratch without a second thought; a blank slate among (mainly) aliens seemed to be just what the doctor ordered.
Academically, the thaan has opted to major in Engineering, with a focus on Propulsion Systems and Components Engineering, but not forgetting matters such as the Regulation of Chemicals, Radiation, and Biotechnology, with which he already had a little practical experience as well. His minor of choice, Navigation, is a consequence of the fact that he feels most at home at the helm when not working outside main engineering or inside a Jefferies tube, but he is the first to state his limitations as a pilot; compared to his primary specialization, he has little natural inclination toward maneuvering a starship.
While off-duty, most of Akeen's informal interactions with the student body have been in the form of tutoring or lending a helping hand with something that needed to be fixed more quickly than the staff would have been able to see to, his glacial exterior not being particularly conducive to small talk or gossip. He might or might not have stayed in touch with some of the acquaintances he has made during the time spent on his thavan's vessel, which could have helped an informal network said to be run by a Ferengi and a Grazerite with the purpose of bringing fellow cadets a slice of home in a system that involved bartering nearly as much as physical resources (201 slips are worth more than two strips and a friend in need can't be bought with latinum, as some were rumored to say), but the existence of such a network was never officially proven. He has also definitely not participated in a childish prank that involved the LCARS system in a shuttlecraft playing a tune identified as 'Itchy Fingers' when its Scottish pilot activated it; a programmer he is not, one doesn't necessarily have to have perfect pitch to get just the right audio sequences and, besides, a number of cadets whom nobody could suspect of being close to him could attest that he was elsewhere throughout the time when that deed could have been done. Had he been involved in such activities, perhaps a counselor could have identified the kind heart and mischievous mind hiding behind his severe exterior, his creativity... or maybe even his desperate need to fit in, for a change, aside from his far more obvious bookworm and workaholic tendencies. Someone might have, but, if they did, they never told him. Akeen has also been seem with some frequency in the gym, practicing mixed martial arts, and has participated in every Academy Marathon available during his stay in San Francisco, usually finishing somewhere within the first third.
On the USS Doyle-A
- 236807.31 - Date of birth
- 238611.22 - Entered the Andorian Academy
- 238906.13 - Left the Andorian Academy
- 238909.01 - Entered Starfleet Academy
- 239306.08 - Commenced final examination simulation
- 239306.14 - Graduated from Starfleet Academy
- 239306.14 - Joined the crew of the USS Doyle-A
|Ensign||USS Doyle-A||239306.14||Present||Engineering Officer|
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
|NPC Listing · USS Doyle-A Crew Manifest · Crew History