Ensign Airik Tierney is currently serving as a Counselor aboard the USS Juneau.
- Height: 6’1”
- Hair: White
- Eyes: Light ice blue
- Build: Airik Tierney is in excellent physical condition and does not appear to have any ailments or chronic conditions. Physically he is tall and lanky and suffers from some coordination issues as a result. He lacks combat experience and is not suited well for hand to hand combat.
- T/E Rating: T2/E6 – Ullians can project telepathic images that allow recipients of the projections to relive past, often forgotten events. For the most part this reminiscence is joyful. It is strictly forbidden to use this ability against the will of another. Due to their unique physiology, Ullians are difficult to read by other telepathic species.
- Parents: Airik Tierney is the only child of Zithan and Rhana on Ullia in the Gova Bazin Sector. Tierney is a geologist and Rhana is a nurse specializing in end-of-life care. Airik has a positive relationship with both. Leaving the home world was quite difficult as it meant leaving his family. It is customary for a son to take a new first name and use his father’s first name as his surname. The same goes for daughters and their mothers.
- Siblings: None
- Spouse: Airik has approached relationships mostly casually, with some close friends and occasional partners. He considers himself pansexual, leaning more towards the same-sex attraction end of the spectrum. Airik has a fairly informal, but long-term attachment to Conall MacNee who he met will studying at the academy. They continue to correspond and share affection for one another.
- Children: None
Early life on Ullia was idyllic. The planet had emerged from a history of telepathic warfare and abuse. Not only were they a strong, unified planet, but the very people evolved to be ethical, caring, and honest. There were always exceptions to the rule including a particularly heinous serial telepathic rapist, Jev, who has been constantly monitored after being found guilty of the unsolicited, violent act of Telepathic Memory Invasion.
Airik was raised in a major city with an established Federation Station. Upon graduation in young adulthood, Airik entered studies in medicine with an emphasis on psychiatry and psychopharmacology. Airik completed his studies while at the academy in medicine and psychology. Like all psychiatrists Airik was professionally trained as a physician, though is more likely to identify as a counselor that utilizes a combination of talk therapy, psychopharmacology, and alternative methods of mind/body healing. In a pinch he could use a hypospray and tricorder – perhaps some emergency first aid – but unless the entire medical staff were mysteriously absent, should likely avoid any laser scalpels.
Airik Tierney is psychologically well balanced with some minor anxiety (as compared to a typical Ullian) and a penchant to appease others. His own counselor suggested meditative practices and yoga which successfully alleviates the anxiety.
His outwardly facing calm demeanor is well-suited for a profession in counseling. His analytical mind helps by understanding that the neurochemical reactions in the mind are just as important as the manifestations of emotions and need to be addressed appropriately. Airik is easy to make friends and grounded in his approach to the world.
Airik’s empathic and telepathic abilities are common for Ullians. He can sense the emotions of other species which is helpful in therapeutic counseling. Like most empathic species, Ullians are taught to shield their abilities using simple techniques. These shields can be broken during times of duress. Airik has been trained in telepathic memory retrieval which can reconstruct lost memories. Like all Ullians, Airik is greatly discouraged from using this in a therapeutic setting without significant safeguards. Memory retrieval is meant to collect memories and the stories of others, not to relive traumatic experiences.
Airik Tierney is in excellent physical condition and does not appear to have any ailments or chronic conditions. Physically he is tall and lanky and suffers from some coordination issues as a result. He lacks combat experience and is not suited well for hand to hand combat.
- Personal Log stardate 239707.01. Our Mission to investigate an unusual comet which emanated Eichner radiation turned out to be so much more. We found an inhabited planet with some kind of connection to the People and that the comet was in fact hiding a small People's facility. We found an abandoned Starfleet vessel and managed to have missiles fired at the Juneau. There was a loss of life and serious injuries. I think that engaging the People brought up some trauma from the crew, but I'm still meeting and learning everyone's needs. Several of the crew transferred to the found vessel - some of whom I believe need to work through their trauma. I'll be sure to send a subspace message to their counselor. On a personal note, I learned that there is a lot of opportunity for me to learn more about engineering and tactical maneuvers. While on the bridge I at times felt inept and I didn't always understand what was happening. I'm resolved to seeking out more information so if I'm ever in that position again, I'll be more prepared.
- Counselor’s Log, stardate 2397.07.13. Ensign Nyka Wyss’ counseling session covered a range of topics. Her coping strategies in general seem strong, but some maladaptive repression exists in relation to recent experiences with death. This has also transferred to a perception the commanding officer has negative views towards her - stating that ‘the Captain hates me.’ I recommend additional counseling sessions to assist her in exploring the repressed memories. On the whole Ensign Wyss is fit for duty at this time. Computer, end log and sign Airik Tierney, MD, ship’s counselor.
- Counselor’s Log, stardate 2397.07.14. Lieutenant Commander Cadfael Peters counseling session was a standard initial crew evaluation. He seems well adjusted with strong coping strategies. Peters is cognizant of his relationships and interested in building them with his team. His interest in a crew injured in his department, though he was not stationed on the Juneau at the time, is a good sign of his leadership ability. Lieutenant Commander Peters does not need regular counseling and is fit for duty at this time. Computer, end log and sign Airik Tierney, MD, ship’s counselor.
- Counselor’s Log, stardate 2397.09.27. Lieutenant Commander Jansen Orrey’s session was short, but insightful. While not too much was gleaned other than factual information that could be obtained from a crew record, I see no issues and he is at this point fit for duty. Computer, end log and sign Airik Tierney, MD, ship’s counselor.
- Counselor’s Log, stardate 2397.10.04. Lieutenant Paul Daniels requested an urgent appointment to discuss some concerns he had. It is evident that an earlier diagnosis of PTSS has gone untreated and recently begun to inappropriately appear during stressful situations. While it does not appear this will impact his duties, I will continue to monitor him closely with regular appointments. I will begin with Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing and perhaps include a regimen of monoamine oxidase inhibitors or benzodiazepines. Computer, end log and sign Airik Tierney, MD, ship’s counselor.
- Computer, Counselor's Log, stardate 2397.10.08. Lieutenant Commander Cadfael Peters stopped in for a counseling session to process a situation that occurred. During this situation he misfired at Commander Orrey. While a genuine mistake, Peters is holding some guilt because of it. I've suggested he process the event and think about ways it could go differently in the future. Computer, end log and sign Airik Tierney, MD, ship’s counselor
- Computer, Counselor's Log, stardate 2397.10.22. Ensign R’Kala had her standard crew evaluation since being assigned to the Juneau. She seemed to be a well adjusted individual with some aggressive tendencies. She is going to attempt some centering techniques to attempt to control the psycho-somatic responses she experiences in high stress situations. I will suggest some culturally relevant practices in our next meeting. Computer, end log and sign Airik Tierney, MD, ship’s counselor
|Starfleet Service Record
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
|NPC Listing · USS Juneau Crew Manifest · Crew History