Ensign Kalara Avran is currently serving as an engineering officer with Starbase 118 Ops. She has come to Starfleet after leaving a career with the Ullian Security Services, as a telepathic investigator. As a Ullian, she is adept in telepathic activity, but has implemented a moral code to limit the use of her telepathy- a code she does not often elaborate upon when asked. Her initial Starfleet training was in clinical mental health counseling, having served as a counselor for some time, and as such, Kalara maintains an active certificate in mental health counseling. She retrained at the Academy for her engineering certification.
- Height: 175 cm
- Weight: 65 kg
- Hair: Blonde
- Eyes: Blue
- Build: Slender
- Handedness: Right-Handed
- Telepathy: T4 - does not actively use telepathy in most circumstances
- Tarin Avran, father
- Status: Active
- Kalara's father is a low level administrator in the Ullian government, currently working for a regional infrastructure planning bureau.
- Ral Avran, mother
- Status: Active
- Ral Avran is a former Ullian specialist in telepathic memory reconstruction, employed by the Ullian government to catalog cultural experiences with other willing species. She is currenly retired.
Although Kalara doesn't have any siblings, she maintains a vast network of friends she considers brothers and sisters.
Kalara’s father was a low level official in the Ullian government, often suffering from a lack of ambition. She idolized her mother, however, who was trained in and proficient at in telepathic memory reconstruction. Unfortunately, this often meant that her mother was away for extended period times both around Ullia, and eventually, off-world. Kalara always looked forward to her return and her stories, curating a passion for cultural studies and cross-cultural understanding (or, at the very least, curiosity). As the absences grew longer in duration, Kalara grew closer and closer to her father and when the time came, sought to follow in his footsteps in the Ullian government.
Kalara found employment in the Ullian Central Security Services, the police force responsible for global law enforcement. Although Ullian society is relatively stable, there are violent crimes from time to time. Kalara quickly rose the ranks and became an Investigator in the division of the security services tasked with investigating psionic crimes. Rare as these crimes were, the severity of criminal investigations wore on Kalara, especially when she was dispatched to cooperate with foreign security forces in crimes that involved other species. The travel benefited Kalara, though, by further expanding her understanding of other species and their cultures and practices- fulfilling her childhood dreams of traveling the stars like her mother. Trained through the security forces for advanced telepathic abilities, including telepathic memory reconstruction (but from the lens of criminal investigations), Kalara grew weary of using her talent in telepathic interrogations, often thinking back on her mother’s stories and her opportunities to travel the stars in pursuit of knowledge and growth. There was something about this that she envied and this envy was the seed of the doubt that grew into her Starfleet aspirations.
Kalara doesn't often speak of the specific incident that led to her resigning from her position with the Ullian Security Services. She only shares this with the closest members of her inner circle. There isn't much that she doesn't share with her friends and colleagues but this is one of her more closely guarded stories, reserved to those she trusts without any doubt.
Life in Starfleet
To Kalara, the Federation was idyllic with boundless opportunities. Though she didn’t want to turn her back on Ullia, completely. It took time to break the news the her parents and her father was especially devastated to hear that she had resigned from the Security Services. To this date, Kalara would consider her relationship with her parents as “severely strained.”
Meanwhile, in her musings, Kalara thought she could continue to employ her telepathic abilities and training for good but from a very different perspective. She applied to Starfleet Academy and majored in Counseling, with a focus on clinical mental health practice but also taking as many classes in diplomacy that were available and/or fit within her Academy curriculum.
Kalara was posted to Starbase 57 as a junior staff counselor following a short internship after graduation from Starfleet Academy. Shortly after the organization of the Andaris Task Force, Counselor Avran was placed on temporary assignment to DS26 and subsequently assigned to the USS Blackwell, fulfilling her ambition to be assigned to a starship. She was ultimately reassigned to DS26 as a junior counselor and remained there.
In time and despite her training, she found herself unprepared to deal with the onslaught on other people’s psychoses and emotional instabilities in the clinical setting and began to take any available extension and cross-training classes available to her, with focus on what would come next in her career. She found solitude in engineering studies. Having traveled alone often for various investigations, she had at least a passing knowledge of shuttlecraft flight control systems, engineering systems, and operations. She returned to Starfleet Academy to extend her degree to include engineering with a focus on systems engineering and artificial intelligence.
- Temperament: Kalara considers herself an extraverted introvert. She enjoys socializing with friends and colleagues, organizing get togethers and always in attendance to group events; however, she needs time to recharge. She balances her social life with a variety of meditation practices. As talkative as she can be socially, Kalara is a keen listener and motivational interviewer, drawing on her certification as a clinical mental health counselor.
- Hobbies: Kalara loves art and culture. She particularly enjoys sculpture, often finding time to hone her skills in the holodeck. Kalara is so diligent about keeping up with her correspondence with her vast network of aquaintances that one could consider it a hobby.
- Likes: Art, nature, connecting with others both verbally and telepathically, with a preference for the latter when possible.
- Dislikes: Having to depend on others, being talked over, small spaces.
Ullian Security Services
Kalara took advanced courses in criminal investigations and legal proceedings. Additionally, she was trained by the Ullian Security Services to conduct telepathic interrogations of extreme and hardened criminals.
Official Transcript: Undergraduate Records
Kalara trained as a counselor at Starfleet Academy following her resignation from the Ullian Security Services. She followed the standard counseling curriculum and focused additional time in courses in diplomacy and mediation. She returned to extend her degree and certifications to include engineering, focused on artificial intelligence.
|Cadet First Class||239112.16||Graduated Starfleet Academy||Counselor, Cadet|
|Ensign||239312.16 - 239407.01||Starbase 57||Assistant Counselor|
|Lieutenant JG||239407.01 - 239408.20||USS Blackwell||Staff Counselor|
|Cadet First Class||239408.20- 239509.22||Returning Student, Engineering||Engineering Cadet|
|Ensign||239509.25-present||Starbase 118||Engineering Officer|
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
Kalara Avran - Ullian Security Services Era (Flashbacks)
- Vek Karel Part 1 (Investigators Avran and Ataren arrive at the Khosla Commerce Outpost, in pursuit of criminal Vek Karel.)
- Vek Karel Part 2 (Investigator Avran kicks a hornet's nest.)
- Vek Karel Part 3 (The team comes under fire.)
- Vek Karel Part 4 (Guardian Angels Arrive.)
|NPC Listing · StarBase 118 Ops Crew Manifest · Crew History