Featured Bio Contest Rules
|Featured Bio Contest|
This Month's Winner
|Edit this Nav|
The Featured Bio Contest Rules dictate how the contest is run.
UFOP: Starbase 118 is comprised of over one hundred members serving on eight starships and stations, not including additional personnel on LOAs. The time and care our members put into their characters is often reflected in the SB118 Wiki articles they maintain for their characters.
Specific aims of the Featured Bio Contest are as follows:
Section I: Composition of the Featured Bio Contest Team
- The Featured Bio Contest Team shall be comprised of ideally no less than three (3) members, with one member serving as the team leader.
- If the team has an even number of members, the team leader shall cast the deciding vote in the event that a tie should arise during voting.
- A team member must be an active member of SB118 in good standing.
- The team leader must hold the rank of lieutenant junior grade.
- If the team is comprised of two or fewer members, the team leader shall endeavor to actively recruit additional members to the team to meet the ideal goal of at least three members.
- Team members must ensure that their own primary characters’ articles meet the judging criteria for featured articles outlined in Section III.
- Team members must be willing to take an active role in not only judging other articles to be featured but also helping other members with constructive feedback on how to improve their articles.
- Team members should be reasonably proficient with using and editing the wiki such that they could assist other members who have questions about it.
- Team members must be willing to forego their own characters' articles from being chosen as Featured Nominees or Featured Bios. It will instead be listed as a Featured Bio Contest Team Member (Sapphire) article.
Section II: Submission of Articles for Consideration
- Articles to be featured will be selected in one of two ways:
- Members may nominate articles, either their own or that of another member, for consideration.
- If necessary, the Featured Bio Contest team will review rosters and select an article themselves to be included as a nominee in any given round.
- Articles nominated by members that meet the judging criteria will be featured before articles chosen by the Featured Bio Contest team.
- Judging criteria for featured articles will be made public for the benefit of those wishing to ensure their submissions meet the criteria as best they feel possible.
Section IV: Selection Process for Featured Article
- There are three levels of recognition awarded by the Featured Bio Contest:
- Featured Bio of StarBase118 (Eligible to wear Gold Badge)
- Star Pick
- Featured Bio Contest Team Member (Eligible to wear Sapphire badge)
- Nominations for featured articles are due at the first of the month.
- If no nominations are received by the due date, the project team will begin surveying ship/station rosters to select appropriate articles.
- The project team will hold a confidential vote within the third week of the month to select the Featured Bio for the next month.
- Communication among project team members will be handled on a closed Google group to ensure that communication can be reviewed by the Captains Council or Executive Council.
- The vote for Featured Bio of the month is final.
Section V: Featured Bio Publicity
- Once a Featured Bio has been selected, the Featured Bio Contest team will notify the following teams within the fourth week of the month to coordinate publicity regarding the selected article:
- Newsies Team
- Newsletter Team
- Reporter Team
- Publicity Team
- The news of the Featured Bio will not be published until the first of the next month (the due date for the next selection cycle).
- The author will not be informed of the article’s selection until the first of the next month.
- Upon announcement of the Featured Bio, the winning bio may display Featured Bio of StarBase 118 (gold) badge.
- The main page of the SB118 Wiki will also include a link to the Featured Bio.
- All featured articles will be listed under a Featured Bio category as well as on the Featured Bio Contest wiki page.
Section VI: Featured Nominees
- As of 2014 the Featured Bio Competition no longer awards bios Featured Nominee Status, instead a Star Pick is selected from the runners up of the current round.
- Bios previously awarded Featured Nominee status are listed on the in a separate Featured Nominees category.
- While Featured Nominees have been determined to meet the minimum judging criteria (formerly minimum selection criteria), that does not mean they cannot be improved.
- Authors will be encouraged to continue updating their articles as needed and expanding them where they see fit.
- Authors may also ask the project team for feedback on ways to improve their articles, although such feedback will not be given unless requested.
- Featured Nominees that were not selected to become the Featured Bio must be resubmitted for consideration for any future selection cycles.