- Height: 1.80 m
- Weight: 82 kg
- Hair Color: Brown
- Length of Hair: Short
- Eye Color: Brown
- Skin Tone: Medium Tan
- Birthmarks, Scars: Small birthmark on left shoulder blade.
- Build: Average Build, muscular legs and good lung capacity
- Face: Square with slight chin point.
- Poses: Generally uses proper posture around authority figures, then a slight slouch any other time.
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Muted Tones with slacks and short-sleeve v-neck shirts.
- Voice: Masculine, but not loud. Has the tendency to mumble.
- Handedness: Ambidextrous
- Quarters: Neat, as per Starfleet regulations. Some personal trinkets from home.
- Favorite Room: To be determined.
- Habits: Loves to listen to music (all kinds, especially Earth music). Will even try to do so on duty. Also loves to eat different types of food. (Is one of the few things he is adventurous about) However, keeps to a good aerobic workout routine so as to not get overweight.
- Mannerisms: Smart, but not overly confident. Tends to ask for advice or get positive comments/feedback before considering a project to be complete.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: N/A
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Music and Food. Doesn't play an instrument. Likes to cook occasionally. Prefers running over any other athletic activity. Will also get sucked into a game of Dom Jot without too much prodding.
- Likes: Machinery, Food, Music, Running, Dom Jot.
- Dislikes: Violence, Reading Sensor and Scientific Data,
- Ambitions and Goals: To not disappoint the Family. Enjoy life.
- Achievements in Life: Acceptance to Trill Science Academy, Acceptance to Starfleet Academy, Graduating from Starfleet.
- Disappointments in Life: Not accepted to Symbiont Candidacy, Not Graduating Trill Science Academy.
- Temperament: Even keeled and methodical, but lacks some self-confidence in the face of authority figures. Can be a bit stubborn when it comes to heal-related issues. Enjoys a good laugh (good sense of humor).
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias): No phobias. He does, however, fear overall failure.
- Physical Limitations: Athletic with high endurance, but not the best at hand-to-hand combat. Knows basic Starfleet close-combat skills.
- Marital Status: Single; Has begun a romantic relationship with Sky Blake.
- Children: None
- Father: Abrian Zell (Regional Council Member)
- Mother: Y'tril Zell (Professor of Biochemistry at Trill Science Academy)
- Siblings: Veren Zell [Older Brother] (Medical Doctor - Gotran Hospital in Leran Manev)
- Maternal Uncle: Torvan Jedan (Trill Ambassador to Planet Vulcan)
- Paternal Uncle: Jexen Zell (CLASSIFIED)
Deven was born to Abrian and Y'tril Zell on Stardate 236406.28. Deven was told later that his brother (3 years older) upon first seeing the infant said, "Let's hope he's as great as you told me he would be."
That quote would remain with Deven for a long time. He grew up in Leran Manev, Trill's capitol city, and was quite the competent student. Like most brothers do, there was some general fighting among the two and a steady but friendly competition to see who could be "greater" in certain areas. (Veren usually won the intellectual battles and Deven succeeded more in athletics.)
From an early age, Deven knew he loved to run. Though he competed against his brother, he didn't compete in school on his home planet. The best places to run on Trill, if you ask Deven, are along the coasts. The sea breezes are perfect for running.
His brother wanted to follow in the footsteps of their uncle Torvan, who was a joined Trill with the symbiont Jedan and served as Trill ambassador to Vulcan. The entrance exams and preliminary tests were promising, but eventually Veren missed out on becoming a host. Deven was never told (nor did he necessarily want to know) the reasons why.
After his brother was rejected by the Symbiosis council, Deven decided he would try to become a host (continuing the spirit of competition from childhood). Unfortunately, Deven was also rejected (much earlier in the selection process), which dinged the young Trill's pride more then he anticipated.
Deven, at the request of his mother, applied and was accepted to the Trill Science Academy. This, too, became a disappointment for Deven as his test scores weren't very good. However, the professors saw talent in more mechanically-based aptitudes rather than completely academic studies. So, when he was asked to leave the Science Academy to persue a different path, Deven's first inclination was failure.
Veren was on track to become a doctor and knew he needed to help his brother find a path. Veren asked Deven to come on a trip to one of the orbiting stations where the older sibling would be doing some practical work. During the trip, the younger Zell brother fell in love with the shuttlecraft ferrying the men to the station. Deven asked all manner of questions about the flight and how everything worked.
The elder Zell brother picked up on this and suggested Deven apply to Starfleet Academy. It would be a chance to continue towards making their parents proud and see more of the universe than most others (including his immediate family who most suffer from Space Sickness. Veren, himself, needed medication to even work aboard the station.)
Deven mulled that thought over for a few weeks before deciding it might be an interesting adventure. He applied, was accepted and made his way to Earth to become a Starfleet Officer... at least he hoped so.
Zell did well in his engineering courses, even the theory classes that had marred his time on Trill. He even took up competitive running and participated in three Academy Marathons, always finishing in the top five.
The other competitive game Deven enjoys is Dom Jot. He's not particularly good at it, but he enjoys the company that comes from playing.
While on Earth, Deven fell into two habits: Eating and listening music. With the running taking care of the extra calories, he made it a rule to try something different to eat every day. He kept track of his selections on a PADD and took it with him to every meal.
After attending a Jazz Club in New Orleans with some fellow Cadets, Deven fell in love with Earth music. Jazz, Rock and Roll and "Funk" became his early favorites. Though these activities help break Deven out of his shell, there were some habits that haven't been broken just yet. Stubbornness about his health being the biggest "problem."
- 236406.28: Born on Trill
- 238203.02: Formally Rejected by Symbiosis Council. (Reason: Average Psychological Profile)
- 238208.15: Began studies at Trill Science Academy.
- 238301.24: At the suggestion of his professors and family, dropped-out of Trill Science Academy. Begen exploring other career options.
- 238302.28: With a push from his brother, applied to Starfleet Academy.
- 238304.05: Accepted to Starfleet Academy, Engineering Track; Helm/Pilot Minor
- 238308.05: Travels to Earth; Cadet 4th Class @ Starfleet Academy.
- 238410.16: Participates in his first (of three) Academy Marathon on Danula II. Places 4th. (Would go on to place 5th and 2nd in Third and Fourth Years [respectively])
- 238804.23: Graduates final training cruise. Promoted to Ensign. Assigned to USS Challenger-A as Engineering Officer.
- 238808.09: Promoted to Lieutenant (junior grade) and reassigned to USS Ronin as Chief Operations Officer.
- 238810.20: Transferred to Starfleet Security. ALL OTHER INFORMATION - CLASSIFIED
- 238903.05: Commission Reinstated. Transferred to USS Mercury as Chief Operations Officer.
- 238904.12: Promoted to Full Lieutenant.
- 238904.23: Transferred to the Duronis II Embassy/USS Thunder as Science Officer
|NPC Listing · Embassy/USS Thor Crew Manifest · Crew History