|Intelligent Lifeform Index|
|Four Letter Code||BTZD|
|Planet of Origin||Betazed|
|Encountered||TNG: The Haven|
|Current Tech Level||N+|
|List of Named Betazoids|
Full ILI Gallery • Permitted Species Gallery
The order of government line on Betazoid consists of Peace Keepers, which are like peaceful cops, and higher government officials. Peace Keepers are trained in telepathic battle, and they are kept under careful control and consideration. Higher Government Officials are much like a Republic system, and little is known further.
Betazoids share many physical features with their Terran allies, the key difference being their black irises. They generally have a slim-line appearance, weighing between 52 - 100 kilograms, dependent on height. Both males and females are humanoid mammals. Males of the species tend to be less hairy than Terrans, and women are generally considered of same strength.
Their brain contains a paracortex, or telepathic lobe, which is highly capable of recovery from injury, and includes the "metaconsciousness," or a trauma filter; psilosynine is the neurotransmitter involved in telepathy. In addition, their REM sleep frequency is different than for most humanoids.
Betazoids are very flexible, and they can control many body functions. Their body functions (heart, respiratory, circulatory, excretory, endocrine) are very similar to humans, with the exception of their skeletal system being close to that of a cat.
Similiar to humans, although child-birth is generally considered more intense and longer. Gestation period is 10 months, and the reproductive structures of male and female Betazoids are similar to humans. During mid-life (usually between the ages of 35-60), female Betazoids go through a period called "The Phase", in which their sex drive quadruples and has been known to inhibit their telepathic abilities. Betazoids are also fertile for the majority of their lives, sometimes having children in their 50s, 60s, and some even 70s.
Betazoids display many various personalities, and they are just as varied as humans are. Most tend to run on the introverted side, yet probably 40% of them are extroverts. They appear quiet because of their telepathic nature, and most like to ponder, meditate, and study. Most seek personal understanding and hold enlightenment the highest goal. They also display total honesty, almost a phenomenon. It is encouraged strongly even in young age, but it persists often throughout their last days. It can be viewed sometimes as brutal and impolite honesty, but they mean no harm when they speak the blind truth.
Avid believers of meditation, Betazoids often use a focal point to focus their energy. The benefits of this can be extreme immunity from pain or even death, and it allows for more bodily control.
Betazoids love large crowds, and most banquets and socials held have large crowds. This is especially common among the noble classes and Houses. Regular Betazoids tend to prefer intelligent talk, and most don't engage in heavy joking and humour. They enjoy enlightening conversations also, and they often come out as quiet when really they are just talking through telepathy. Food served at banquets and feasts are supposedly very sundry and varied, allowing for many choices and preferences.
They are often are capable of loving more then one person at the same time in a very deep way, a trait sometimes attributed to the empathic lobe of their brains. The females of the Betazoid population treasure the males as more 'playmates' when it comes to sex, but many of them also hold it to be a sacred event of bonding. Most don't hold sex as the primary reason for having children. Instead, they look deeper into the bonding and intense telepathic experience.
Betazoids are actually uncomfortable around those, like the Ferengi and Breen, whose minds they cannot read. Similarly, the minds of animals can be a bit frightening to them, and they tend to prefer smaller animals.
Most Betazoids have telepathic capabilities, which is not inborn but almost always comes on with adolescence. Telepathic power follows a bell curve average throughout the population, with most being of medium power, while few have weak or strong powers. There are also cases of over-empathic abilities, and those who suffer from such extremes must be counseled and trained to avoid insanity, but are almost always affected throughout their life. Most Betazoids receive formal training for their powers based on strength.
Telepathy in Betazoid Hybrids
Interspecies reproduction involving Betazoids often affect the psionic abilities of the offspring – most commonly the children of such a union develop empathic abilities as their primary psionic talent, while their telepathic abilities, though existing, are rather below average for Betazoids. Usually the telepathy of those of partial Betazoid heritage, without extensive training, is limited to communication with other empaths or telepaths and full telepathic contact with emotionally very close persons (for example, an imzadi).
Betazoid hybrids generally have a lower telepathy rating on the T/E Rating system than T4 - for example, Human/Betazoid hybrids have a T2 rating.
Edit this Nav
Widely accepted Betazoid beliefs include gods, spirits, and heaven. Major Betazoid religious beliefs and religions include the following:
- The Four Deities, recognized by the largest religions on Betazed and commonly used as an exclamation in everyday language ("By the Four Deities").
- The Cult of Karawati
- Khrysarians, a secret society of Betazoid mystics who practice the teachings of Khrysaros
Many Betazoids are polytheist, meaning that they believe in more then one god. Betazoid religions assign myths and spirits/gods to certain forces of nature and themselves. They also believe that Nobles and House members are more privileged to the gods.
- Great Fire: Mentioned in Imzadi I, Great Fire is supposedly a god that reigned before the dawn of the world, Betazed. Some fan-fiction and myths have led to him being a cruel god peaked on destroying life, and yet others determine that he was sacred and kind. This entity in mythology is still being discovered and studied.
- Jalara Guardians: According to Betazoid mythology, the Jalara Guardians were 'nympth-like' in character, and they guard the Jalara Jungle. They were believed to have planted their nests on the jungle floor, causing the mortal quicksand pits present today.
- Mendissia Historians: According to some fanfiction, there are mentions of 'Mendissian Historians', and according the Roddenberry, it was an original plan of Betazoid culture that never fell through. However, it is good to note them as the historians that separated the firsts Noble houses from the rest of the regular populations after a great war that separated families and friends.
- Angels and Spirits: Betazoids do infact believe in forces such as spirits of ancestors, and even some guardian angels. They are entities that protect the dead, and that hold up the ancestral spirits in the heavens.
- Marital Forces: These are spirits and fate-like gods that protect true love, and Imzadi no less. They are supposed to guard and give every born Betazoid a 'soul-mate', and also they are supposed to provide fertility and flourishment to married couples.
- Fates: Much like Roman and Greek Fates, these are supposed to be special forces that lead a Betazoid to a certain noble truth or fate in their lives.
- See also: Houses of Betazed
The social organisation of Betazed is a class-system, although there are no major gaps between 'poor' and 'wealthy'. The Noble Classes are a small chunk of the Betazoid population in which are believed to descend from the very first ancestral Betazoids. The Noble Classes are then further divided into Houses, which are based on the gifts and values of the individuals.
In Betazed, the gender roles are on a 40/60 system. Males are considered less worthy and less intelligent than a woman, although usually most of the females are tolerant and considerably equal-minded. Females always inherit family wealth, and they are often the head of households and families. But males can also hold those positions, and sometimes even government positions. The masculinity/femininity roles are not present in Betazoid culture, as males and females can vary in both intensity, competitiveness, and strength powers.
Telepathic worth is considered by the amount of power and telepathic strength a Betazoid has. A lot of Betazoids have stronger empathic powers, and the actual powers are treated with respect and dignity. The Noble Classes tend to have stronger powers, posing a strong argument for the idea of their direct ancestry.
Museums and Natural Beauty
Betazoids treasure art and especially natural beauty, and they love to portray nature and their inner feelings through music, natural abstract, and massive museums with art. Betazoids also encourage artistry, and their museums are set up so that a constant stream of new age music plays in the background. Although, they call it 'soul' music. The paintings are hung on a flat wall bent slightly downward so that you can view it easily, and every portrait or so has a comfortable contoured bench for meditation. Certain pictures are separated by certain themes.
Types of Betazoid Art
Types of Betazoid art include natural beauty art, abstract natural beauty, empathic abstract, and plain abstract. Natural abstract is a mixture of natural tones that make out a discernible picture intermixed with a theme. Empathic abstract is art that displays very abstractly emotions and strong empathic fields. Plain abstract is just a free-for-all abstract painting discerning anything from life to trees. Sculptures are also there, and many of them are also abstract.
As the generations of a Noble Household process farther and farther, each daughter is painted at the age of 40 in a painting a little larger then the last predecessor. This shows how the past becomes less and less memorable, yet will always be there. Some of the ancient paintings are extremely large, some taking up entire rooms and even houses themselves.
The traditional music of Betazoid is very calm and soothing, and very surreal. Much of it is similar to a light mix of today's New Age. Betazoids thrive on inner thoughts and meditation, and usually that art can be soothing, calming, and very pleasing. They also express themselves through this kind of art/music, and it allows for creativity and originality in their culture.
There is a generational divide forming in the Betazoid arts, however. Younger Betazoids have begun rebelling against the traditional abstract arts and have embraced a more popular style which is shaped by narrative arcs. Live theatrical and operatic performances such as Darkening Dreams have become extremely popular in recent decades, frustrating the older Betazoid critics.
Betazoid food is varied greatly, and there are many different sources. They have breads, vegetation, berry and fruit-like sweets, and various meats. Betazoids tend to be more herbivorous then carnivorous, as large animals can be intimidating to kill.
- Breads: This category is much like Earth food, containing breads and wheat. Betazoids have a special spaghetti-like dish called Raixen (Roddenberry, 2000).
- Vegetation: This category includes leafy morsels and sometimes even flowers. An example is Oskoid, a favourite dish of many Betazoids, and is a delicacy. (Menage a Troi)
- Berry and Fruit-Like Sweets: Uttaberries and swix are berry-like items found in jungles and some in fields. Uttaberries are red, and swix are purplish. Swix can cause an allergic reaction in some Betazoids. (Roddenberry, 2000). Veacot is a plum-like fruit that can be eaten fresh but is often served as a refreshing drink with ice.
- Various Meats: Meats included in the diet of Betazoids can sometimes range from small aves meat to large swine-like meat. There are a few carnivorous predators that have supposedly superb tasting meat, but can only be obtained in jungles. (Imzadi I, Chandra's Wedding Scene)
- Food Consumption and Relevance: Food consumption is usually conducted in groups, and Betazoids usually never eat alone. If it is a richer family, the Betazoid family will have many banquets and social gatherings, sometimes inviting an excess of hundreds of guests. The sharing of a meal is considered sacred, and is marked with the constant ringing of a background Betazoid Chime, and marks great friendship with well-being.
- Jalara Fire: A Betazoid, alcoholic beverage made from the luciferase from an insect indigenous to the Jalaran Jungles. It is similar to fireflies found on earth, however their luciferase glows in iridescent pink and purple tones. The drink is somewhat thick, like olive oil, and causes a gentle warming sensation on the lips, mouth, and throat. Finally, the drink will cause the lips and mouth to emit a soft purple/pink glow.
A uniquely Betazoid form of literature is the psychodrama, which incorporates romantic, thriller, and epic elements, but at the center of which is the main characters' telepathic bond. Some particularly notable psychodrama authors and titles include:
- Levralet Izun: Embers Within Ashes (2395) and its sequel, Thoughtless Winter (2396)
- Beidol Tro: The Zest of Life (2384), The Belonging Season (2387), and Once Upon an Us (2389)
- Eicrun Massu: My Kingdom of Thirst (2390)
- Idel Roidek: Built for Sin (2376)
- Ha Unonis: Ever a Never After (2394)
- Iko Rezu: Dearest, You Said (2381) and Dangerous Nettles (2383)
Gifts given to someone special may be placed into a box capable of showing emotion (often with a face). Such practices are sometimes considered elaborate and incredibly expensive.
Child-rearing on Betazoid is understanding and usually gentle but stern. Children are often predestined, although most have the privilege to defy their given fates, including their given pre-arranged marriages. Most receive some sort of pre-destined idea of what they are supposed to do with their lives. At the young ages, Betazoid children often bond with friends closely, making youthful relationships last a lifetime. Parents are supposed to be open towards their children, always encouraging total honesty. They must also establish rules that are enforced with reason, not just because I said so. Older children develop telepathic skills, and they receive training under strong encouragement of parents and peers alike. When the children come of age, a special occasion of age-marking takes place in which a parent 'passes on' their own telepathic energies, and bonding takes place and is finished.
Training and Traditional Education
Betazoids start school early, and the earliest schooling is set up in a nurturing setting with many adults and positive influences. Strong artistic and mental skills are established at this time, and all younger Betazoids are subject to preliminary trances and methods of relaxation. At middle school, the earlier developers of telepathy are often sent to alternate schools to help them deal with their powers and often stronger influences. The norm of society, although, is taught at this time about their own minds and learn more complex functions. At later schooling, prior to the high school equivalent, they develop the first telepathic skills. They learn more and more, and eventually, they master most of their skills. The skills vary, of course, and the parents at this time become more open to their children and often share strong bonding experiences with their kin.
The first courtship practices are practised at a very young age when the parents of Betazoid children promise their children to each other and then go through with genetic bonding. Genetic Bonding is an old-style practice, and ancient Betazoids used to think that the two subjects actually 'bond' with physical genes, and telepathic energies emitted in childhood, though undetected. After the children reach an older age, many do not go through with their pre-destined marriages. This is accepted as natural, and most parents don't mind it too much. Although, some will go as far as disowning their children for it, which is sad and unfortunate. Most believe that it acceptable to keep more than one actual love however, and the wedding celebration is a complex system of gifts and replies.
Later adult courtship often takes place at weddings and banquets, some conducted in total nakedness. The tying of knots is also associated with this tradition.
Some interesting courting methods are partner trances, and scenic watching and viewing.
The Visitation are a series of remembrances that take place after the death of a family member and friend. Those that are closest to the dead person gather at a series of meetings, one held at six weeks after the death, another after the sixth month, and another for every three years afterwards. During the ceremony, the participants remember the deceased and share strong telepathic fields with each other.
Only recently in the past 600 years or so have Betazoids taken the practice of preserving deceased loved ones in special chemicals that help the body last for generations. This is most common in the Houses, as few lower level citizens have the room to hold such sacred items.
Tools and Instruments Used During Traditions and Practices
- Bonding Gift: This is a term used to describe a small Jewelry-like box used for storage and gift-giving. The box is often very elaborate with a carved face that can change emotional expression. It can also have a natural scene on the cover, and the box is used mainly for giving of gifts. This is especially associated with Genetic Bonding.
- Chameleon Rose: This is a very beautiful flower that looks much like a rose, and it changes colour according to the holder's emotion. Red denotes anger, purple denotes peace, and pink denotes serenity and love. Yellow shows enlightenment and telepathic energy, and blue is often thought to signify bonding and extreme love. It's origin is in jungles and underbrush.
- Betazoid Chime: This small crystalline object is sometimes shaped like diamond or a triangle, and it is chimed against a small glass-like chalice or bowl filled with water during meals. It is supposed to mean thanking the gods for the meal and good fortune.
- Wedding Hair Band: A cloth of pure white material that is worn, and is only worn, by the bride at the wedding. In the end, the bride tosses it behind her and someone catches it. Whoever catches it, supposedly, their true love is at the wedding present already with them.
- In Good Faith: On Betazoid ships, "In good faith" is as common as "Engage" or "Make it so" is on Federation vessels. For a Betazoid Commanding Officer the expression has a three-fold meaning. The first is that the Captain and her officers all have the best interests of the collective crew at heart. Second, while they are prepared for the worst, they have nothing but good intentions in mind. Lastly, they are departing with the blessings of the Gods.
The Betazoid judicial system comprises of two judicial powers: the Betazoid Government Council, and the Reconciliation Forums of Betazed.
- Main article: Betazoid Government Council
The Betazoid Government Council (BGC) hears disputes between the Houses of Betazed.
- Main article: Reconciliation Forums of Betazed
A Betazoid Reconciliation Forum hears disputes between its citizens, and on occasion, between citizens and one or more of the Betazoid noble houses. Unlike an adversarial system, compromise and reunion of parties is the ultimate focus.
- "Betazoid - Telepathic abilities". Memory Alpha. Retrieved 2021-12-19.
- "Fresh Peculiarities", Miaxdiso Avoi, USS Gorkon, SD 240006.01
- SIM: JP Ens Yogan Yalu & Ens Mirkl Zanti — Join me for a chat, Part 1
- SIM: Ens Yogan Yalu — Thoughtless winter
- SIM: LtJG Yogan Yalu — Slogan Yalu
- SIM: Lt Yogan Yalu — Back to work
- SIM: LtJG Yogan Yalu — Separately together
- SIM: LtJG Yogan Yalu — Built for sin
- SIM: Lt Yogan Yalu — Rabitat for Romulanity
- Lt. Commander Yogan Yalu — Pie pie pie pie pie pie pie
- Lt. Commander Yogan Yalu — Pie pie pie pie pie pie pie
- "In Good Faith", LtCmdr. Brayden Jorey, Duronis II Embassy, SD 239305.11