Chief Petty Officer Ayaka Kumiko, a Terran of Japanese descent, is currently a security officer aboard the USS Columbia.
- Full Name: Ayaka Kumiko
- *note: Ayaka is her surname and Kumiko is her given name
- Race: Terran, Japanese descent
- Date of Birth: 235011.25
- Place of Birth: Kitami, Hokkaido, Japan
- Age: 35
- Gender: female
- Height: 5'3" (1.6m)
- Weight: 130lb (59 kg)
- Hair Color: black
- Length of Hair: elbow length (but almost always worn in a bun)
- Eye Color: dark brown
- Skin Tone: olive
- Birthmarks, Scars: none
- Build: slim
- Poses (Hands/Gestures, Feet/Legs, Torso/Head):
- greets people with the traditional bow
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Kumiko prefers simple clothing in muted, earthy colors: camel, tan, sage, browns, etc. She prefers pants and tops over skirts and dresses and chooses clothing that give her the most optimal range of motion.
- Shoes: standard issue when on duty. comfortable (usually running) shoes when off duty.
- Voice: quiet
- Handedness: left
- Quarters: Simple. There are very few decorations with a few notable exceptions.
- A scroll with the Four Virtues of Tea (Harmony, Respect, Purity, and Tranquility) in calligraphy on one wall
- A wide open space in one corner for meditation. In the corner, against the wall, she keeps her zabuton and zafu.
- A small, round, wooden table and chair set where she can serve tea. When she isn't serving tea, she keeps an Ikebana arrangement there.
- A cupboard where she stores supplies for practicing calligraphy and Ikebana.
- Favorite Room: the Arboretum
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Practices Zen Buddhism
- Hobbies and Pastimes:
- Ikebana - traditional Japanese flower arrangment. Kumiko practices the Rikka form.
- calligraphy - Although not particularly adept at it, she often practices her calligraphy skills. She has improved over the years, but still sees many flaws in her work.
- Kumiko's father, Katsumi, was an Aiki-jūjutsu master. From him, Kumiko has learned quite a bit and is on the way to becoming a master herself.
- Ambitions and Goals:
- to become a Master of Aiki-jūjutsu
- Achievements in Life:
- Disappointments in Life:
- Her inability to perfect her calligraphy skills frustrates Kumiko.
- Temperment: A controlled perfectionist. To the rest of the universe, she projects a calm, quiet temperament, but she frequently turns her attention inward, striving for perfection in all that she does. She has tried to correct this in her practice of Buddhism, but ironically seeks perfection in that too, ultimately undermining her achievement of enlightenment.
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias):
- Physical Limitations:
- Marital Status: single
- Children: none
- Father: Ayaka Katsumi
- Mother: Ayaka Mizuki
- Sisters: Chika, Hitomi, Emi, and Rie.
Kumiko is the oldest of 5 girls. She was raised in a loving, traditional home as the daughter of an Aiki-jūjutsu Master and botanist mother. She learned a love of plants from her mother, who also tutored her in the art of Ikebana. From her paternal grandmother, she learned calligraphy, but she never truly mastered the art. From a very young age her father tutored her in Aiki-jūjutsu, but because she put her training on hold to go to school, she never achieved Master status. She continues to practice, hoping one day to become a full Master. It was her training in Aiki-jūjutsu that ultimately led her to Security after she joined Starfleet.
- Date Attended Academy (Enlisted Training Program and Specialist School): 237008.10-237107.08
- Current Rank: Chief Petty Officer
- Current Assignment: USS Columbia.
- Duty Post: Security
- Previous Assignments: USS Wellington, USS Independence-A, Deep Space 17, USS Darwin-A
Awards & Commendations
- none yet
Security should be characterized by respect, integrity, and the use of the minimum amount of force necessary to protect the ship. As security officers, we should protect both our own crew, and when possible, preserve the lives of even our enemies. When we detain prisoners, they should be treated with the respect due to them as persons.