SIM:Lael Rosek - A Break From the Devastation Part II (Veritas)
"A Break From the Devastation, Part I"
|Lieutenant Lael Rosek
USS Veritas NCC 95035
"Checking In With the First Officer, Part I"
OOC: Follows the events of “A Break From the Devastation, Part I” OOC: Takes place after Chythar’s “A Certain Resemblance”
(( Holodeck, USS Veritas -- Skyfire Beach ))
Skyfire: So...what’s up, doc?
Rosek: ::smiles wanly:: Is it so surprising that I’m worried about you? That last mission was a doozy and, if I know you, you’re not taking it well.
- He nodded slightly. Did any physician really take death well? Chythar knew, deep down, he couldn’t save them all. He’d saved Alden, Quinn, and then Lael, but those were different circumstances entirely. ::
Skyfire: Does anyone handle death well?
Rosek: That’s true, I suppose. ::pauses:: But you...you tend to take it personally. You chew on things like this until all the flavor is gone. ::squeezes his hand:: You did everything you could down there, you know.
- The last mission had been hard on all of them. It seemed that they fell into one disaster after another, rarely catching a break. She wondered if it was just her and Chythar’s luck or if this was just a normal part of Starfleet. It was likely a bit of both, she decided.::
Skyfire: Ah ken… :: He swallowed hard and allowed himself to relax a bit, his free hand petting Devlin idly. ::
- She wrapped him in a hug, resting her chin on his shoulder.::
Rosek: ::murmurs:: You don’t have to hide behind your shields. I’m a big girl. I can handle it.
- With some reluctance, he dropped them. His hand continued to caress Devlin’s back but was otherwise silent. ::
- She stiffened slightly at first, but relaxed as she allowed the emotions to wash over her. This was what he needed--to let go. To not worry about what sharing might do to the people around him. Thanks to the counseling sessions with Moonsong, she was finally starting to regain enough control over her own life that she could be a rock for Chythar as he had been for her.::
- An odd mix of death and joy washed through him. The death energy gradually fading, counteracted by the joy at the lives he saved. Much like before, he had to focus on the ones he saved as opposed to the ones he didn’t. For his own sanity, more than anything else. ::
- She pulled back, her hand still grasping his, her shields still down.::
Rosek: ::murmurs:: Are you going to be okay?
Skyfire: Ah usually get better. :: He gave a lopsided smile, attempting to be reassuring while at the same time dodging the question. He didn’t have an answer. ::
Rosek: Join me for a drink? Alcohol is good for forgetting.
Skyfire: Only if ah stick to beer.
Rosek: ::smirks and bumps his shoulder:: Wimp. You’re just not supposed to mix.
Skyfire: Aye. Wimp.
Rosek: ::grins:: You won’t be able to stay away. You know you won’t. That tequila was liquid gold and you know it.
- She had to joke about that memory from Over There. It’s how she coped. Her gaze locked with his and her chest ached a little. She covered it by standing, offering him her hand.::
Rosek: Come on. We have drinking to do.
- Chythar took the offered hand, the canine unceremoniously falling off his lap and onto the ground. The beagle was quick to recover and looked up at them, his tongue lolling from his mouth and eyes wide with puppy-eagerness. ::
Devlin: oO Walkies? Oo Raff?
Skyfire: No comment.
- CD stood and patted his leg to get the canine’s attention before following Lael out the door. They apparently had a date with a bottle. ::
--- Lieutenant Lael Rosek, Eng.D. Engineering Officer USS Veritas NCC-95035 Training Team/Podcast Team I238110RH0 https://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php/Lael_Rosek
Lieutenant Chythar Skyfire, MD Medical Officer USS Veritas NCC-95035 O239002CS0