Psychological | Medical |
And let history make its own judgments."
Nathan Baker is currently an Engineering officer on the USS Darwin-A.
- Gender: Male
- Species: Terran
- Date of Birth: 235806.28
- Age: 37
- Place of Birth: Jupiter Station
- Position: Engineering Officer
- Rank: Lieutenant
- Starfleet Serial Number: RN-713-013
- Hair Color: Blonde
- Length of Hair:
- Eye Color: Blue
- Height: 6' 2"
- Weight: 195 lbs (as of 239104.23)
- Build: V-Shape (Mesomorph)
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Khaki Pants and a Collared Shirt.
- Shoes: Black Non-Slip Work Boots when on duty. Slip-on leather shoes off duty.
- Voice: Mid-Range Tenor
- Handedness: Right
- Quarters: Usually neat, except he has a tendency to leave PADDs and isolinear chips laying around on tables and counters. A few pictures of his family line the place. He does display an empty bottle of Saurian Brandy which reminds him of a friend from the Academy.
- Habits: Cracks his knuckles when preparing to perform a task. Scratches his chin when thinking about something intently.
- Mannerisms: Nathan is quite laid back. Unless he is required to be at attention or similar, he'll just relax. He will also try to crack a joke, be witty, or generally try to liven up the mood whenever he can.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: N/A
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Nathan loves the holodeck. If he's not working, he usually doing something relaxing with one of his many self-programmed holoprograms. (See likes) He also enjoys just fiddling with things. Taking them apart and putting them back together (hopefully in better condition than when he started).
- Likes: All things engineering, holography, cooking, Poker, Dom Jot, having a good time when the mood calls for it.
- Dislikes: Negativity, overconfidence from others (an irony he isn't fully aware of), Exercise.
- Ambitions and Goals: Nathan has something of a thirst for engineering knowledge. He loves to read technical journals or the latest paper on warp theory. He just wants to be a great engineer, but doesn't want the "legendary" status of someone like Montgomery Scott. It's possible he'll never live up to his own idea of what he should be.
- Achievements in Life: Graduating from Starfleet Academy, serving on state-of-the-art ships, earning his Masters and PhD.
- Disappointments in Life: Never getting to know his Uncle who became his hero. Nathan also feels he let people down when he had to leave Starfleet. He hopes it won't happen again.
- Temperament: Even in the most dire of circumstances, he has a great ability to stay calm. Although if something constantly fails or doesn't go his way, he can become very agitated to the point of yelling. Nathan is smart. Almost too smart for his own good. Even now his eagerness to be right can get him into trouble. He's a stickler for making something a good as it can be, but understands that perfection is usually a pipe dream. Though he is both of those things, he comes off rather nonchalant which can tend to make people think he doesn't care about his work; but Nathan just prefers to keep his excitement in check unless something is truly remarkable (to him).
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias): Fear of spiders. Especially big ones. Otherwise, Nathan's devotion to hard work can make him seem like somewhat of a workaholic. But when it's not work time, he is ready to be the life of the party.
- Physical Limitations: Though Nathan used to maintain a more athletic figure while younger, his foray into academia has seen him put on some weight and lose some stamina. He also continues to struggle with his hypersensitive hearing at times.
- Majored in Engineering.
|Starfleet Academy Records|
|Engineering: General Electronics||Administration: Starfleet Operations||Engineering: Base-Mode Programming|
|Engineering: Intermediate Electronics 1||Administration: Chain of Command and General Protocol||Engineering: LCARS Programming 2|
|Engineering: Intermediate Electronics 2||Diplomacy: General||Engineering: Life Support Systems|
|Armory: Hand Phasers, Phaser Rifles and Artillery||Engineering: Computer Memory and Personnel Interfaces||Engineering: Advanced Replicator Theory and Application|
|Armory: Starship Phasers and Phaser Cannons||Engineering: LCARS Programming 1||Physics: Quantum Mechanics|
|Armory: Photon Torpedos||Engineering: Replicators, Transporters and Holodecks||Liberal Arts: Application of Creative Design in Holodecks|
|Physics: Warp Theory||Engineering: Sensors, Communications and Helm Systems||Physics: Vibrations and Waves|
|Engineering: Advanced Warp Systems||History: Federation||Piloting: Minor Ships|
|Engineering: Bio-Neural Components||Language: Federation Standard||Piloting: Major Ships|
|Engineering: General Electronics||Language: Vulcan||Engineering Seminar (Specialty) Holomatrix Programming and Repair|
|Engineering: Introduction to Warp Systems||Law: Federation, General|
|Engineering: Operations and Command Functions||Mathematics: Concepts|
|Engineering: Subspace Mechanics||Medicine: First Aid and Field Medicine|
|Engineering: Warp Drives||Physics: Concepts|
|Engineering: Deflectors, Weapons and Security Systems||Piloting: Runabouts and Shuttles|
|Engineering: Advanced Transporter Techniques, Technology and Theory||Survival: Starship Emergencies|
|Engineering: Base-Mode Operations||Survival: Environmental Suits and Zero-G Training|
|Engineering: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs||Tactics: Combat, Unarmed|
|Engineering: Impulse Systems||Tactics: Combat, Small Weapons|
|Engineering: Systems Architecture||Xenobiology: Concepts|
|Engineering: Systems Dynamics||Xenology: General|
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Masters Degree in Subspace Mechanics
- Ph.D in Subspace Mechanics and Warp Theory
- Earns position as Associate Professor
Personal and Professional History
Nathan was always curious about almost everything. He would continuously sneak into the station's cargo facilities and get into his fair share of trouble. His life of mischief ended abruptly when he was eleven years old. It was when he learned of the tragedy of Wolf 359 and the destruction of the USS Melbourne, where his Uncle was assigned. From then on, with minor tendencies toward day dreaming and extended holodeck activities, Nathan started on track to following in his Uncle's footsteps and to become an Engineer. He studied technical journals, examined holographic warp cores, and talked with the many freight captains who visited the station. He even helped as a part-time lab assistant at Jupiter Station's Holo Lab when he was 15.
He applied for and was accepted to Starfleet Academy when he was 17. He progressed nicely through warp mechanics and subspace theory. However, even though he was a good marksman and pilot, he continued on the engineering track through out his first years. Nathan turned in his paper on advanced theoretical warp mechanics in his third year and got high marks. After his cadet cruise at Starbase 118, Nathan graduated from the Academy and was first assigned to the USS Titan.
As Assistant Engineering officer on the Titan, Nathan helped to uncover a plot that would leave Federation diplomatic ties in ruins.
Nathan's second mission, his first as Chief Engineer, took him to a tertiary star system above the Galactic Plane. All other information is Classified.
Nathan's third mission on the Titan involved a botched First Contact mission to the Sar'Jal homeworld. After being ambushed by Admiral Kelly's nemesis Hevoc and his undercover agents in the guise of Starfleet officers, Nathan helped liberate the ship.
During the same mission, a freak electrical shock from his EVA suit from a phaser blast left Nathan technically dead. The CMO was able to revive him, but he was left with hypersensitive hearing due to a loss of magnesium in his auditory area. Though his magnesium levels have returned to normal, the hypersentive auditory nerves remain. He was eventually fitted with auditory implants that help suppress some of the incoming stimuli.
After a few more missions on Titan, one as First Officer, Nathan took a sabbatical from Starfleet to ascertain the whereabouts of this parents who were exploring the Gamma Quadrant. When he returned to Starfleet, Nathan transferred to the USS Steadfast and served as Chief Engineer.
Later, for reasons not stated, Nathan took another extended LOA. He has yet to report those activities to Starfleet. All that is known is that Nathan got his Masters Degree in Subspace Mechanics from MIT on Earth. He returned 3 years later to continue his Starfleet career.
After a brief stint back in Starfleet serving on the USS Indria-A, Nathan's thirst for knowledge was too great and he retired from active service to begin work on earning his PhD. After four years of study, he earned a double doctorate in Subspace Mechanics and Warp Theory from Princeton University on Earth. Though he has done several standard papers regarding warp drive and subspace properties, Nathan's focus has turned to understanding the new FTL propulsion technology being applied to Starfleet ships.
His first mission aboard the USS Darwin-A was quite interesting. The Darwin had been tasked with tracking down a freighter that had fled Deep Space Six without permission. Eventually, the crew determined it was carrying stolen Starfleet weapons and an illicit drug. Nathan had helped disable a dampening field preventing the crew from locating the contraband. Later it became apparent the freighter's crew had sabotaged the impulse engines causing a potential overload. Nathan and his away team were tasked with disabling the makeshift self-destruct.
Due to having to manually disarm the impulse overload, Nathan suffered extreme heat exhaustion while being in close proximity to the fusion reactors. Thankfully he was beamed to safety and made a full physical recovery. After a shore leave on DS6, he was awarded the Good Conduct Ribbon and promoted to Full Lieutenant.
|Cadet First Class||237906.31||Graduated Starfleet Academy||Engineering Track|
|Ensign||237906.31 - 237909.04||USS Titan||Assistant Engineering Officer|
|237909.04 - 238001.08||Chief Engineering Officer|
|Lieutenant JG||238001.08 - 238003.21|
|Lieutenant||238003.21 - 238008.11|
|Lt. Commander||238008.11 - 238105.01|
|238105.01 - 238110.05||Acting First Officer|
|Civilian||238110.05 - 238111.27||Unknown||LOA|
|Lt. Commander||238111.27 - 238202.09||USS Titan||Chief Engineering Officer|
|238202.09 - 238208.07||USS Steadfast|
|Civilian||238208.07 - 238508.03||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Earned Masters Degree in Subspace Mechanics|
|Ensign||238508.03 - 238509.01||USS Indria-A||Engineering Officer|
|Lieutenant JG||238509.01 - 238510.12||Chief Engineering Officer|
|Civilian||238510.12 - 239008.31||Princeton University||Earns Ph.D in Subspace Mechanics and Warp Theory; Associate Professor|
|Cadet First Class||239008.31 - 239102.16||Starfleet Academy Refresher Course||Engineering Track|
|Lieutenant JG||239102.16 - 239104.21||USS Darwin-A||Engineering Officer|
|Lieutenant||239104.21 - Present|
Awards & Service Ribbons
- Once an exceptional Pilot and Marksman, his time in academia has let those skills fall by the wayside.
- Has extensive knowledge of Holographic Systems, Subspace and Warp Drives.
- Has tendencies to day dream occasionally.
- Always finds time to finish his jobs.
- Has hypersensitive hearing and can feel distant vibrations. Suppressed by auditory implants.