|Intelligent Lifeform Index|
|Four Letter Code||ZALI|
|Planet of Origin||Lavon|
|Encountered||They contacted Duronis II via space ship.|
|Current Tech Level||L|
|List of Named Zalinians|
Full ILI Gallery • Permitted Species Gallery
- "The awareness of our own strength makes us modest."
- a Zalinian expression.
- "The awareness of our own strength makes us modest."
- The Zalinian are a species of unusual contrasts with some aspects of their society seeming to be primitive and barbaric while others show clear indications of technical advancement and sophistication. The other confusing aspect of their society is that most have some degree of telekinetic ability and yet they seem to prefer to do certain things the hard way. They are for the most part a healthy, active society but many workers use their abilities extensively when working.
- Quadrant: Beta
- Location: Ama-Prayal Sector (coordinates B23-0004-1295)
- Proper Name: Lavon system
- Star: It orbits a class M (Red) star
- Distance from Star: its orbit is approximately 57 million km
- Companions: It is the 2nd of 5 planets in the system
- Moons: it has 4 moons.
- Proper Name: Lavon
- Diameter: 17,600 km (10,936 miles)
- Gravity: 0.98 standard gravity with a density of 3.9
- Axial Tilt: 10.8%, with normal terran seasonal changes
- Orbital Period: 332 days
- Rotational Period: 23 hours
- Classification: M
- Surface Water: 63%
- Atmosphere: 1.06% is a standard pressure with 72% nitrogen, 26% oxygen, 2% trace chemicals
- Climate: Mainly a temperate planet with a large arctic poles region.
- Terrain: plenty of rough hilly regions most are still heavily forested.
- Population: Just over 5 billion
Zalinians are the humanoid inhabitants of the planet Lavon, which is located northeast of the Duronis II system. The planet, and thus, the civilization has recently come to the attention of the Federation, when they achieved warp capability.
Zalinians are led by a monarch, who is chosen by birthright. It is always a male. The royal family can, like the healers, trace their bloodlines back thousands of years. The monarchy is located in the center of the continent, as it is presumed the safest area in which to live.
The average height for Males is 6'2". For Females it is 5'0. The average weight for Males is 175 lbs. For Females it is 100 lbs. Generally, Zalinians live for 150 Earth years, have an average IQ of 200 or better. ESP frequency and EQ is high.
The Zalinian men have extremely muscular arms and legs and a purplish hue to their skin. The women are small framed and dainty and have fair complexions. Because the Zalinians are thinkers, and use their telekenetic ability to build and work, their hands are very smooth and rarely contain blemishes.
Clothing is simple with men wearing cloth skirts and women in similar fashion only pulled up to cover their breasts. Both use the Semi-precious stones mined from their planet to decorate their clothing. Stones have great significance throughout the culture, and are used to denote social ranks, physical and mental achievements, and personal pursuits. Stones and decorations on clothing are also used to signify the family to which a member of the society belongs.
Because the Zalinians have only recently been discovered, not much is known about their biology. What is known is that they have an entire class of healers that is made up completely of females.
Healers seem to become ill infrequently, so it is surmised that they have a DNA mutation that provides them immunity from the common illnesses that other members of the population may contract. This is supported by the fact that the healer class can trace their lineage back to the beginning of recorded history on Lavon.
For a species with such strong mental abilities it is not unusual that the elderly suffer from a number of unusual conditions. What is unusual is that a large number of individuals with high mental skill level and or power levels also suffer from their own set of unusual mental problems. At this time it is to early to tell why this might be.
While they do not have any true formal religion they do have a strong belief in the planet and it’s importance to their lives. Great care is taken to look after their environment and it shows in how clean and well preserved it is. In fact it is not uncommon to see people talking to plants or trees. Nor is it unusual to see large groups of people caring for and looking after the environment.
Some if not most of the motivation for their love of nature and concern for it’s well being may come from the legends and myths that have survived virtually unchanged for countless ages.
In most cases these tales show how by working with nature various people were able to survive a wide range of natural and unusual complications or disasters.
For the most part this is a relatively structured society. The cities are remarkably clean and city planning has left lots of green space and recreation facilities for it’s people. Education and health care is available to all.
The concept that they are one of many species living in the galaxy has finally sunk in but the cities and communities have not yet seen many aliens. As such there are no special facilities for visiting aliens. They are a source of great curiosity to the general public.
The Zalinians are a culture rich society that has remained almost the same throughout thousands of years. Because the entire population exists on the only land mass on the planet, there appears to have been no need to compete, share cultures, or change their method of doing things. Thus, at first glance, the inhabitants of the planet Lavon seem very primitive.
There are many notable traditions that are shared by the people. Some examples include:
- Growth (both by year, and by specific achievement): Celebrations ranging from small family gatherings to planet wide holidays mark advances in age, or other type of growth. Often, the gaining of stones which are seen on their garments is associated with these celebrations.
- Death: Due to the lack of land mass on the planet itself, recently deceased members of the population are placed on a ceremonially carved bed of rock. Family members and friends remain with the person over the course of one night, during which they do not eat and are only allowed to speak with the deceased. They often touch foreheads, hold hands, and caress the deceased, as if saying a long goodbye. Following the sunrise of the following day, the bodies are burned during a death ceremony.
- Each summer, a huge festival is held in cities near the center of the continent. This festival correlates with the tropical rain season, and may have come from the need to avoid the dangerous storms that sometimes make landfall during this time of the year.
Work is generally completed using telekinesis, as the Zalinians are more thinkers than doers. Mining, farming, building, and other daily tasks are completed without actual labour via specific factories where multiple members channel their telekinetic abilities together.
Their space technology is fairly limited and they never built more than one or 2 space craft. Regardless they continued to explore the possibility that space travel might one day be achieved in a useful manner. Continued research suddenly allowed them to construct their first warp ship.
As a species that has just achieved warp capabilities and which had no space fleet prior to this discovery they do not yet have any off world trade. This is slowly changing as other species make contact with them.
They are also constructing what they hope will be the basis for a successful merchant fleet. The first 3 ships having just been completed.
So far they have no military in space. They do have a modest planetary security force that deals mostly with crime, civil unrest and emergency situations.
Federation Intelligence Files
The Federations first contact with them was when they achieved their first successful warp engine test.
The 2nd resulted in a team from the Duronis II Federation Embassy being assigned to travel to their home world and assist with an unusual problem. This team used the USS Thunder, a Cheyenne class vessel assigned to the use of the Embassy staff. It transported Lt. Cmdr. Unum and his team there and provided assistance as needed. See file # DFE-year-4386. Captain Turner and the rest of the Embassy team hope to continue their investigations into this species.
This is another original Starbase 118 species created by the crew of the Duronis II Embassy.
This file was updated and approved by the SDC on 15 October, 2012
|SPECIES PROFILE UPDATED
This profile was revised by the Species Development Committee.
|Please add any new information discovered during the course of a mission or shore leave.|