Ensign Nearian Ben'thal, a Berellian, was the Chief Engineering Officer aboard the USS Avandar
- Full Name: Nearian Ben’thal
- Race: Berellian
- Date of Birth: 235408.21
- Place of Birth: Starbase 118
- Age: 36
- Gender: Male
- Telepathic status: None
- Height: 7 foot 2 inches
- Weight: 212 pounds
- Hair Color: Brown
- Length of Hair: Mid-length
- Eye Color: Teal-green
- Skin Tone: Golden-yellow
- Birthmarks, Scars: One burn scar along his right side just below the rib cage.
- Build: Tall and lanky.
- Face: Looks to be human, but stretched in height.
- Eyes: Thin looking due to the length of the face.
- Mouth: Also appears thin.
- Arms: Long and thin.
- Legs: Well built, but appears thin from his height.
- Carriage: Tends to walk with good posture, but is constantly having to duck through doorways.
- Poses: When in deep thought he tends to raise one hand in an artistic way and look at the target of contemplation closely.
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): When off duty he likes to wear baggy robes or shirt/pants combinations that are made in a flowing fashion and utilizes many colors. He feels this leads to a two good things, first he looks a little more filled out, and second that he becomes a moving art display.
- Shoes: He wears shoes with open toes whenever possible, even his uniform shoes have an open section but maintain a closed toe. The shoes are over sized in length due to his Berellian heritage.
- Voice: Deep but soft, a very artistic flow is maintained even when under stress.
- Handedness: Ambidextrous, and he is very good at moving them in sync with each other.
- Quarters: All that Nearian requires in his quarters is a bed and his potting wheel, but he likes to keep art displayed on any surface he can decorate.
- Favorite Room: The holodeck is Nearian’s preferred room as he can set up various art studios and practice his different artistic talents.
- Habits: Nearian is often heard tapping the buttons on computers to musical patterns.
- Mannerisms: Nearian has been told that he talks in an artistic way where words are more of a song or flow. Also he walks in a way that is almost a dance, and is often caught dancing around when off-duty.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Like most Berellian, Nearian worships only the individual creative power of art, but he has come to appreciate technology for its own beauty.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: As a child, Nearian learned may forms of art from his parents. His favorite by far is pottery, and his wheel accompanies him where ever he goes. His art work is usually given as gifts to dear friends and trusted counselors.
- Likes: Artists, artwork, those who appreciate hard work.
- Dislikes: Human males due to their constant jabs and remarks towards him, and anyone who would destroy art in any form.
- Ambitions and Goals: To prove the worth of his people, and to demonstrate his own ability to perform engineering and science tasks other think he will fail at.
- Achievements in Life: Having a sculpture displayed in the gallery of art on Casperia Prime.
- Disappointments in Life: Never winning a science fair as a child, never completing a functional robot in high school, and never meeting an important figure to science while on tour with his father and mother.
- Temperament: Kind, but can sometimes let his desire to prove himself let his attitude come across as bullheaded and rash. Also if a human male shows signs of disrespecting his achievements he tends to become short and looks down at them until he feels they are more in tune with his prowess.
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias): Nearian has trouble focusing on all aspects of an issue and tends to view situations in a way that some consider to ‘simple’ or ‘quick’.
- Physical Limitations: Nearian’s height tends to add difficulty to movement around starships, and he constantly knocks his head into bulkhead and doorway frames.
- Personality: Nearian is well balanced, he tends to accept change and new people well, the only exception is human males. Human males tend to demean his career choice and he takes personal offence to this, but if they accept it and give him a chance he is quick to dismiss the stereotype. As a Berellian, any art comes easily to him, and by viewing his duties as art forms he can focus on them with ease. The view of sciences as art tends to bring out odd habits and mannerisms such as the habit which he peers have named ‘musical keys’.
- Marital Status: Single
- Children: None
- Father: Harken Ben’thal, Berellian Ambassador to the Federation
- Mother: Nataliea Ben’thal, Lead singer for Zephyr of the Star
- Sister: Rena Nok’balial, Prize winning painter
- 235408.21: Born, aboard Starbase 118 during his father’s ambassadorial review. His mother decided to keep him aboard the starbase and his father agreed then set up a home in the base for the four of them.
- 235804.26: Nearian’s sister graduates from school on the starbase and asks to go back to the Berellian homeworld, she departs soon after.
- 236110.23: The family returns to the homeworld to celebrate the marriage of Rena into the Nok’balial family. Nearian realizes how far behind his culture is from that of the federation in regards to technology.
- 236508.16: Nearian visits Earth with his father for that year’s ambassadors’ conference. During the trip, he studies much of Earth’s historical music.
- 237206.04: Graduates from high school, he soon tries to get a technology based apprentice ship with little success.
- 237912.30: Nearian’s mother tells him to move out so her band can go on tour, he is still unsuccessful at a tech job, and his artwork is too expensive to make a living on a starbase. He begins looking into schools and other finishing options for a better career.
- 238007.13: Joins Starfleet academy, and enlists in the engineering program.
- 238209.21: At the suggestion of his adviser, Nearian applies for an extended training program so that he can take two majors. He is accepted but does not take the suggested communication major, and takes a science major instead.
- 238606.10: Nearian completes the academy requirements for both engineering and science majors. He managed to be near the top of the class in both areas, but his adviser was skeptical about his placement ability due to the unusual areas he had picked for his race.
- 238606.16: Luckily Nearian gets a post to the USS Constitution-B as an Engineer
- 238607.01: Following an encounter with a alternate universe, Nearian in given a Chief Position in Engineering. Exceeding the expectations of his adviser.
- 238611.26: Nearian receives a promotion to Lt. jg after organizing the repair of major EMP damage to the USS Constitution-B
- 238703.23: After accidents aboard the USS Constitution-B Nearian takes a LoA to recover.
- 238906.10: Recovered and cleared for duty, Nearian is reassigned to the USS Avandar as a science officer.
- 239002.24: After preforming admirably in the science position and leading a team successfully in a first contact situation with a species from fluidic space, Nearian is placed back in his favorite department, engineering as chief.
The best of Nearian's Memoried located Here.
Timeline and History
||Cadet, 4th Class
||2380 - 2381
Majors: Engineering, Science
Science Specializations: Geology, Meteorology
||Cadet, 3rd Class
||2381 - 2382
||Cadet, 2nd Class
||2382 - 2384
||Cadet, 1st Class
||2384 - 2386
||238606.09 - 238606.16
||238606.16 - 238607.01
||Engineering & Science
||238607.01 - 238611.26
||Acting Chief Engineer
||238611.26 - 238703.23
||238703.23 - 238906.10
||Leave of Absence
||238906.10 – 238910.30
||238910.30 – 239002.24
||Acting Chief Science Officer
||239002.24 – Present
||Chief Engineering Officer
- Federation Standard - fluent.
- Berellian - fluent.
- Ferengi - near fluent.
Awards & Commendations