Lieutenant (JG) Ryoma Hoshino, a Terran of Japanese descent, is currently serving as intelligence officer aboard the USS Discovery-C. Hoshino was born and raised on Lyshan VI but was evacuated to Starbase 129 during the Dominion War. His experience on the starbase, a hive of Starfleet Intelligence activity, left a marked impression on the young Hoshino and despite returning to a ruined Lyshan VI, he found his head in the stars. For him, joining Starfleet was a dream come true, but one that has left a deep rift between him and his father. A rift that haunts Ryoma to this day.
- Full Name: Ryoma Hoshino
- Race: Terran
- Date of Birth: 236505.29
- Place of Birth: Lyshan VI
- Age: 24
- Gender: Male
- Height: 170 cm (5' 7")
- Weight: 67 kg (148 lbs)
- Hair Color: Black
- Length of Hair: Short, around 5 cm.
- Eye Color: Dark brown
- Skin Tone: Typically light
- Birthmarks, Scars: Scar along right bicep from falling from a tree as a child
- Tattoos/Body Modifications: None
- Build: Short and lithe with toned muscles from low level of body fat.
- Face: Round, almost flawless skin
- Eyes: Wide-set, small, single fold
- Mouth: Small mouth with soft lips
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Light, comfortable and not particularly fashionable
- Voice: Tenor, usually rather quiet and level
- Handedness: Right-handed in almost every fashion
- Quarters: Small, lightly decorated. A hand-written scroll hangs on the wall with a circle, a symbol known as ENSOU, the true expression of one's character through calligraphy. He maintains a small shrine on a shelf in the room, despite not being particularly religious.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Traditional Japanese Shinto/Buddhist mix, as carried through his father's family.
An introvert, Ryoma Hoshino is prone to seeking out quiet on the ship. He is driven within by the search for an amiable father figure, a role his father has fallen out of, and is currently barely filled by retired Starfleet Intelligence officer Meredith Aras, Ryoma's mentor. Ryoma has a strong moral compass and is prone to workaholism.
Hobbies and Pastimes
- Marital Status: Single
- Current Relationship: Ensign Devon Romjin (Intelligence Officer, USS Discovery-C)
- Father: Tadanobu Hoshino
- Born in 2326 in Japan, Earth.
- Career in conservationism on Earth and Lyshan VI for local authorities.
- Mother: Kyoko Hoshino (née Parker)
- Born in 2338 on Lyshan Prime.
- Career in Freight Traffic Control for Colonial Authority on Lyshan VI.
2365: Born on Lyshan VI - a colony on the Federation/Cardassian frontier. His father, a conservationist, maintained a small park on behalf of the colonial authority. Ryoma grew up with nature, wood-craft, butterflies and climbing. His mother worked for the colonial authority's spaceport, ensuring the flow of freight traffic.
2374: The Lyshan System is captured by the Cardassian Union and Dominion forces. Ryoma and his family are forced to flee on a Pakled freighter to Starbase 129. This key hub of Starfleet intelligence gathering on the Cardassians throughout the century and the ongoing war effort stirred up ambitions of service within Ryoma.
2376: With the end of the Dominion War, the Hoshinos moved back to Lyshan VI, a planet with more than its fair share of refugees. His mother aided the planetary authorities in their management of traffic and aid, while his father volunteered with resettlement efforts. In his down-time from school, Ryoma helped his father, fostering an interest in the peoples and technologies of the galaxy.
2383: Ryoma graduates high school and begins to consider his future. Although he had made an application to Starfleet Academy, he delayed his decision to sign up at the behest of his father. The escalating war with the Gorn Hegemony worried his father, a pacifist at heart, who was greatly concerned what he saw as a growing militaristic slant within Starfleet.
2384: Unable to take life on Lyshan VI any more, his head in the stars and the same people day-by-day, Ryoma applies for Starfleet Academy and is accepted. He uses the recommendation of a family friend, Meredith Aras, from his time on Starbase 129 to endorse his membership - the same retired officer also requests Ryoma to help him take down his memoirs.
2385: Ryoma arrives on Earth and begins training at the Academy. His first time on Earth, Ryoma sends some of that time getting in touch with his heritage with frequent visits to Japan - most of which involve parties.
- Date Graduated from Academy: 238912.10
- Current Rank: Lieutenant (Junior Grade)
- Current Assignment: USS Discovery-C
- Duty Post: Intelligence Officer
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Klingon Invasion Ribbon|
|Cadet||238512.05-238912.10||Starfleet Academy||Cadet Training|
|Ensign||238912.10-239004.03||USS Discovery-C||Intelligence Officer|
|Lieutenant (Junior Grade)||239004.03-XXXXXX.XX||USS Discovery-C||Intelligence Officer|
2385: Enters the Academy on the recommendation of former Starfleet officer. Entrance examinations show an average level of competency in all fields.
2386: Grades are improving, boosted by extra study outside of class. Lecturers report that he is frequently approaching them after class with further questions.
2387: Ryoma moves into the specialization phase of his education, choosing Intelligence. He decision came quite easily to him given his deep, largely book-taught, knowledge of the political and military intricacies of the Federation's allies and foes. He choses to minor in Security, cementing the weapons handling skills.
2388: Ryoma takes part in a training cruise aboard the USS Galahad, visiting more worlds in one year than he had ever seen in the previous 20 years of his life. He comes back to the Academy more confident and eager to get on with his service.
2389: Ryoma graduates from the Academy and reports to Starbase 118 for assignment. Assigned to USS Discovery-C as Intelligence Officer.
2390.04: Promoted to Lieutenant (Junior Grade).
Ryoma works in the Intelligence Office, located on the lower decks of the USS Discovery-C. His workspace consists of a desk and console surrounded by a bank of displays. Ryoma's workspace is frequently overflowing with PADDs containing intelligence logs and miscellaneous snippets of intelligence that he is working with. By the time his shift ends, his workspace will be tidy.