|StarBase 118 Ops|
Aranel Ekkoran is a retired Starfleet officer now serving as a mentor and diplomatic aide onboard the USS Apollo.
- Full Name: Aranel Ekkoran
- Race: Efrosian
- Date of Birth: 233409.14 (September 14th)
- Place of Birth: Korran City, Arcada
- Age: 58
- Gender: Male
- Telepathic status: T1/E1 - See Telepathic/Empathic Scale
- Height: 5'-11"
- Weight: 200lbs
- Hair Color: White
- Length of Hair: Very long
- Eye Color: Vivid blue
- General: Somewhat reserved and genteel, Aranel has a look of nobility to him. He lightly tanned orange skin, and a high forehead with pronounced ridges. He is a careful groomer, with neatly trimmed white eyebrows and facial hair. Thin and graceful, he looks somewhat fragile at first sight.
- Personality: Calm, soft spoken and deeply spiritual, Aranel strikes most as a devout, pacifistic person. He has a warm, open personality and often makes people feel at ease. Aranel tends to avoid conflict and he is an excellent diplomat and mediator, often stepping in to smooth frayed tempers and rough edges.
- Strengths: Aranel is highly diplomatic, and well spoken. Calm and centered, he is excellent at offering level headed advice and working with a vast variety of personalities. He has excellent ear for learning languages and is fascinated by how people speak, almost as much as what they say.
- Special Abilities: Aranel has an excellent sense of smell and hearing, which partially compensates for his racially weak eyesight. He is also extremely good at navigation, able to sense direction easily and memorize maps and star charts quickly
- Weaknesses: Aranel abhors violence, and will sometimes go too far in trying to find a non-violent solution. He is slow to defend himself in a direct confrontation, preferring to talk an issue over if there is any chance at a peaceful resolution. However, once pushed over the edge he had fifteen years of pent up rage to unleash on whoever pushes his buttons so severely to trigger the sleeping giant. Also, his race has little concept of ‘monogamy’ and he sees romantic relations with others as a way to ‘get to know them better’ – which can cause both embarrassment and hostility from more traditional races.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Loves to read, watch live theatre and enjoys directing plays. He dislikes the holodeck, enjoys dancing, quiet conversation, games of strategy and word games. He is interested in understanding other cultures, Andorian music, endurance running, and sports that require balance, concentrations and grace.
- Favorite Drink: Larellan tea, with honey
- Preferred Food: Fresh gagh
- Ambitions and Goals: He wants to explore the galaxy a while, meet a good partner, learn enough to become a good teacher. His eventual goal is to completely retire and teach at SFA.
- Achievements in Life:
- Disappointments in Life:
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias):
- Physical Limitations: Aranel sees a slightly different spectrum than normal humans (racial standard) – he can see into the infrared, but loses most of the cool wavelengths visible to most humanoids. Aranel employs translucent lenses to read computer displays. Without his glasses he is partially blind – able to see movement and some facial features, but unable to read. He is also from a very cold planet: while he is cold tolerant, he is weak in hot climates.
- Linguistics Abilities: Linguistic Abilities: Aranel is a natural linguist, and he is well studied in Xeno-linguistics. He speaks over a dozen languages including Federation Standard, Efrosian low dialect, Efrosian high dialect, Klingon, Vulcan, 2 Romulan sub-languages, Betazoid standard, Cardassian, Bajoran and several others. He adores learning new languages and is completely fascinated with slang.
- Marital Status: Single
- Father: Aralin Ekkoran, Federation Diplomat, 96
- Mother: Jemmylie Ekkoran, Linguistics Specialist and professor, SFA, 90
- Sister: Ameiel Ekkoran-Jatel, sculptor, 52
- Sister: Jallia Ekkoran, Starfleet Flight Control Officer, 54
- Niece: Krissa Jatel, Cadet, 21
- Nephew: Loran Jatel, Student, 19
Aranel grew up in a close knit, stable and educated family environment. His parents depended on him to watch over his younger sisters and he grew up to be a responsible, mature and bookish young man. Early in his life Aranel had a hero worship of his grandfather, who was both a mentor and an inspiration to the boy. Landoran was a superb storyteller, and he regaled the young man with tales of his time at the Kersti 7 medical facility treating hundreds of strange and unusual aliens and making strange and unusual friends. Early on Aranel was enamored of his grandfather’s stories and while medicine never interested him, he decided that he wanted to meet just as many strange and unusual aliens and make plenty of strange and unusual friends.
Starfleet was a natural choice, and Aranel started out in counseling and diplomacy. He served on two vessels early in his career – the USS Oberon and the USS Prestige as a counselor and diplomatic advisor. On the Prestige he met Lieutenant Commander Arielle Vaughan, a Human-Betazoid ops officer. Aranel felt a connection to Commander Vaughan that went beyond his race’s usually cavalier attitude towards relationships and they agreed to marry by her culture. For several years Aranel’s life was idyllic, exploring the frontier with his bonded mate.
The Dominion war changed that. The USS Prestige was involved in a skirmish with Dominion fighters in 2373, which was only the beginning. It was called to defend Betazed in 2374, and suffered heavy losses, including the death of Commander Vaughan. Aranel was badly injured in the conflict, but survived, left alone and with a broken heart.
He took an 8-year leave from Starfleet. Five of those years were spent helping rebuild Betazed and the surrounding worlds. He connected with his wife’s family there, and the history of what he had lost. Slowly he came to terms with what had happened and decided to rejoin Starfleet, this time in the command track.
The incident left Aranel a highly pacifistic man. Idealistic and yet tempered by age, he rose in rank and served well. He served for a further 8 years on the USS Armstrong, before retiring at the rank of Lieutenant Commander, as a diplomatic specialist. Aranel has been teaching as an adjunct professor at Starfleet academy, while doing diplomatic advising for the Federation when the favor to be a hands-on mentor for young Lt. Foster was called in by the former first officer of the Armstrong. Feeling a sense of duty and owning his former ExO a favor, Aranel graciously accepted.
He has not re-upped his commission, preferring to serve as an honorably retired alumni and civilian status diplomatic aide. He has full accreditation and backing from the Federation diplomatic corps.
- Academy Major: Command: Tactics / Diplomacy
- Academy Minor: Counseling: Diplomacy
- Academy Minor: Xenolingustics