|Intelligent Lifeform Index|
|Four Letter Code||KERE|
|Planet of Origin||Kerelia|
|Current Tech Level||N+|
|List of Named Kerelians|
Full ILI Gallery • Permitted Species Gallery
- "It has been our ability to think, to solve problems that has allowed us to truly develop towards our greatest potential as a species."
- a Kerelian proverb.
- "It has been our ability to think, to solve problems that has allowed us to truly develop towards our greatest potential as a species."
- The Kerelian are a humanoid species who have and continue to contribute to the knowledge and stability of the Federation.
- 1 Home System
- 2 Home World
- 3 History
- 4 Government
- 5 Description
- 6 Physiology
- 7 Psychology
- 8 Religion
- 9 Mythology
- 10 Society
- 11 Culture
- 12 Customs and Rituals
- 13 Technology
- 14 Economy
- 15 Military
- 16 Federation Intelligence Files
- 17 Sources
- Quadrant: Beta
- Location: Donatu Sector (coordinates B23-0002-1300)
- Proper Name: Keral Cias system
- Star: Beta Eridani
- Terran Name: Cursa
- Spectral Type: A3 III (Light Blue)
- Distance from Star: approximately 41 million km
- Companions: 7 other planets. It is the 3rd planet in the system
- Moons: It has a small and a medium moon
- Proper Name: Kerelia
- Diameter: 13,749 km (8,543 miles)
- Gravity: 1.07 standard gravity with a density of 5.5
- Axial Tilt: 3.9%, no appreciable tilt and no seasons
- Orbital Period: 321 days
- Rotational Period: 28 hours
- Classification: M
- Surface Water: 85%
- Atmosphere: 1/3 earths measured from sea level with 72% nitrogen, 26% oxygen, 2% trace chemicals
- Climate: Warm semi-tropical with tropical at the equator and moist continental climate at the northern latitudes
- Population: 2.8 Billion
- Geography: Kerelia's largest land mass, Merindora, separated into two continents during massive tectonic plate shifts 11,000 years ago. The resulting two continents, Abaran and Actya, constitute 80 percent of the total land mass on the planet. At the closest point the continents are separated by a distance of 8000 km by two oceans, Teora and Anama. Four major islands and several minor islands formed from undersea volcano eruptions. Water accounts for 85 percent of the planet’s surface. The main continents lay between latitudes 75N and 60S. Both poles are covered with massive ice surfaces that extend several kilometers deep. A sophisticated network of caves have been carved out over millions of years from repeated global warming and cooling. The oceans at the deepest point is 29 kms. Eighty percent of the population live on the main continents with eighteen percent on the smaller islands. The remaining two percent live at the southern pole region known as Ecosa.
Kerelians were a young thriving race that lived on a great continent known as Merindora. The culture had advanced to a "Bronze Age" when approximately 8000 years ago archaeological cosmologist suspect a stellar core fragment passed the planet causing massive tectonic shifts. Meridora was split into the continents of Actya and Abaran. The devastating seismic activity and tidal flooding nearly caused the extinction of the estimated 50 million Kerelians.
After 300 years the continents slowed their movements and the race started to thrive again. Kerelian mythology, customs, and religious beliefs on both continents were formed during this period known as Tes'Aedra, or the New Beginning. The race, now divided on two continents, developed similarly in language, physiological development, and the arts and sciences. Anthropologists have noted that there are psychological differences due to the extremes that each set of survivors were faced with.
The 3 million survivors on Actya formed tribes and fought amongst themselves for the limited resources. The fighting eventually stopped after a few hundred years and soon after the tribes formed a peaceful nation state. The stories of the tribal wars are reflected in their literature and music. Actyans were adventurous and soon went to sea discovering 3 of the 4 major islands, Clessa, Adatlina, and Edela.
Abaran, with an estimated 500,000 survivors, had ample resources to feed their people. The Abarans never new war and concentrated on the arts. Even by today’s standards the Abadans were a head of their time understanding the concepts of music and math and how they were intertwined. Eventually the Abarans went to sea and discovered the island of Tanis. It was soon disovered that the valleys and caves on the island had exceptional acoustic properties. A colony was settled there is now home to The Kerelian Institute of Music, the premier music school in the galaxy.
Approximately 1500 years later the Kerelians were brought together when explorers from Actya happened upon Tanis. This is known as the Age of Enlightenment. The two cultures easily merged into one and soon a single planetary government was formed. Both Actyans and Abarans knew there were differences in temperament between the two and felt it was a great benefit to have such a diverse culture. Kerelia has never known bigotry or class warfare. Working together the Kerelians advanced at a remarkably fast pace. There advancement from a pre-industrial state to intra-solar system exploration took 150 years.
Space Faring Age
By the year 1905 they launched their first satellite and soon after were exploring their solar system. Around the year 2003 Kerelians developed warp capability, approximately the same time as the Vulcans. They became explorers and soon discovered other warp capable species. For unknown reasons in the year 2132 Kerelia was attacked by a species that they called the Ornis. The Ornis demanded unconditional surrender of their planet. After a bitter 1 year war the Ornis left as mysteriously as they arrived. The Kerelian people, tired of war voted to dismantle their warp capabilities but to maintain their Orbital Security Fleet and commercial fleet.
The first Federation ship to visit Kerelia was on 2270. It had been 138 years since the Ornis War and the Kerelians welcomed them. Soon diplomatic and trade relations were made with several federation planets. The Federation offered Kerelia admission to join the Federation but politely declined. Kerelia was soon becoming a favorite stopping point for federation ships for shore leave. A small religious faction were opposed to interaction with any species and broke away from the Kerelian government. They built a colony in the caves carved under the giant ice land mass Ecosa.
By 2293 the Federation started peace negotiations with the Klingon Empire and were maintaining a tense truce with the Romulans. Concerned about their safety, on 2295 the Kerelians requested admittance to the Federation and were admitted as a full member on 2297. Some Kerelians, most from Actya yearning for adventure, joined Starfleet as officers and crewmembers.
Kerelia got its first permanent Federation presence on 2371 when a Starfleet established a Marine training camp east of Actya Bay near the city of Afina. The Starfleet Marines needed a training planet for extreme low and high pressure environments. With the planets deep oceans and natural low pressure atmosphere and high mountains, it was the ideal location. Kerelia also serves as a resupply point for Starfleet vessels and hosts permanent embassies from most of the federation planets.
The capitol city of Kerelia, Trysia, is home to the Government of Kerelia. The Government of Kerelia is the supreme authority for the planet. It consists of the Prime Minister, or Coi, appointed by the Chovina (parliament), and cabinet ministers appointed by the Coi. The Chovina is comprised of 9 members from each province. Abaran has the most provinces with 12, Tanis has 8, and the provincial island states of Adatlina, Edela, Clessa, and Tanis combine for a total of 216 members. The southern pole, known as Ecosa, inhabited by religious separatist are not represented. There is no Judicial arm of the Kerelian government.
The Coi serves as chief administrator for the planet and is responsible for implementing planetary policy and law. The Coi nominates his cabinet and ensures they have the resources to accomplish their ministerial duties. As President of the Chovina, the Coi casts the deciding vote in case of ties. The Coi duties and responsibilities for:
- President of the Chovina
- Nominates cabinet ministers
- Nominates the United Federation of Planets ambassaor and planetary ambassadors
- Ensures compliance with the Kerelian Constitution
- Final arbitar on Judicial matters
- Proposes changes to the Constitution
- Superintendent of the Kerelian Academies for Music and Science
- Represents and speaks for Kerelia on inter-planetary issues
- Final Arbitar in judicial matters
The Chovina meets 6 times a year unless an emergency session is called by the Coi. They serve as the legislative body for Kerelia. Chovina members are elected locally by each province. The Chovina is responsible for:
- Create and Amend Laws
- Investigate the use of money by the government
- Represent the People
- Ratifies treaties presented by the Coi
- Holds hearing and confirms the nominations for Cabinet Ministers
The Chovina confirms the Coi's nominations for cabinet ministers. The major cabinets are:
- Department of Planetary Defense
- Department of Treasurey
- Department of Spacel
- Department of Sciences
- Department of Music
- Department of Federation and Inter-Planetary Relations
There is no Kerelian Judicial arm to oversee the law. Laws are given birth in the Chovina and signed into law by the Coi. Adjudication complaints are resolved at the provincial level with each province having a Supreme Arbitar, 1-4 appeals courts, and 1-15 local courts. Cases at the local courts are decided on their merits by a sole arbitar. An appeal is automatic with a conviction and is heard by a 3 member appeals court. The appeal court ruling must be unanimous. In cases where there could not be a consensus it is given to the Supreme Arbitar who will make a decision based on transcripts alone and with out hearings . All decisions by the Supreme Arbrater are sent to the Coi for validation. Although rare, the Coi may overturn the decision of the Supreme Arbitar. There are no civil courts on Kerelia.
Each province selects 9 Chovina Members who also serve as the provincial lawmakers and administrators. A chief Administrator is selected from one of the eight members to manage the day to day operations of the provincial government. The Supreme Arbitar, local arbitars' and members of the appeals courts are appointed by these lawmakers.
A race of humanoids with extremely advanced vocal and audiotory abilities. They have significantly larger ears and have a greater range of skin tones and eye colors. The average male and female are 3-6 cm taller than their human counterparts. Hairstyles and facial hair are varied.
- Height M/F: 1.83/1.75 m
- Weight M/F: 80/62 kg
- Eye Colors: Standard humaniod i.e brown,green,blue (<1 percent are born with silver)
- Hair Colors: Standard humaniod i.e black,blonde,brown
- Skin Tones: Varies from olive to golden brown
- Life Expectancy: 134 years
- Handedness: Ambidextrous
- Telepathic Status: Fifteen percent born E1 or E2 Telepathic/Empathic Scale
Kerelians have a unique auditory system which minimizes noise and distortion and gives an accurate frequency response. While most humanoid species hear between 20-20000 hz, Kerelians have an incredible range of 2-42,000 hz and can hear sounds 8 times fainter than other humanoids. The ridges that make up the outer ear, or pinna, amplify the sound waves and passes them to 6 sets of canals and eardrums thus splitting the sound waves into 6 distinct frequency ranges. The vibration from the ear drums are sent to 6 cochleas which convert them to nerve impulses and transmitted to an enlarged temporal lobe. Also unique to other species, there is no degenerative hearing loss.
The Kerelian voice consists of sounds made by the vocal folds (cords), muscles of the larynx, and size of the vocal tract. Its frequency ranges from about 10 to 42,000 Hz, 6 times greater than other humanoids. The lungs pump air into the larynx which vibrates 2 sets of vocal folds (Kerelians are the only race to have two) producing 2 different sets of frequencies. The frequencies are sent to a complex set of microscopic tubes and valves that can selectively add or subtract the frequencies resulting in incredible range. The muscles of the larynx adjust the length and tension of the vocal folds to ‘fine tune’ pitch and tone.
To live in a low pressure/oxygen atmosphere Kerelians have developed larger than normal lungs and heart. Efficient anaerobic and aerobic systems manage how oxygen is delivered to key organs and muscles. A mini organ called an Ebra augments the production of red blood cells. Kerelians have two kidneys and two lungs and need both of each to survive. In the case of disease or injury the body can survive with one until a new one regenerated. This process takes 2-4 weeks and in the interim a prosthetic is used.
The brain is not divided into hemispheres. It consist of 4 lobes. The temporal lobe is the largest and most complex. It is responsible for processing audio information and a large portion, the Euadin, is used solely as a "back up" memory node for the other lobes. In case of injury to a lobe, information stored in that area can be retrieved from the Euadin later on preventing memory loss. An area in the Temporal lobe, the Zyfur area, is only active in about 15 percent of Kerelians who are born empathic, either E1 or E2 on the Telepathic/Empathic Scale. It is still a mystery to why this is so. There is no genetic evidence that emphatic abilities are inherited. Kerelian neurologists theorize a gene is mutated while the fetus is developing.
Kerelians are both "idea"-people and "people"-people, who see everyone and everything as part of a cosmic whole. They want to both help and to be liked and admired by other people, on both an individual and species level. This is rarely a problem for Kerelians, as they are outgoing and warm, and genuinely liked people. Some Kerelains have a great deal of charm, which can ingratiate them to the most unexciting of people.
Kerelians have strong values and viewpoints. They tend to try to use their social skills to persuade others of the rightness of their views. This sometimes results in Kerelians neglecting what is closest to them while caught up their efforts to change the galaxy.
Dealing with the Federation and other species, Kerelians are pleasant and friendly, and interact in a positive and creative manner. Kerelians are problem solvers and quick thinkers. They are not easily distracted and dislike performing small, uninteresting tasks. Kerelians are equally productive when working in a group or as an individual.
Kerelians have a "silly switch." They can be intellectual, serious, all business for a while, and during the middle of a crisis come up with witticisms to relieve tension in a group. Nothing seems to keep a Kerelian down nor those around them.
Kerleains are galactic learners and perfectionists. Close enough is not enough to satisfy a Kerelian. They can be intolerant of races that that feel “good enough” is fine. Kerelians excel at exacting disciplines such as mathematics and music. All of their music is based on advanced mathematics.
The populace that has family roots to Actya are more adventurous and care free than their Abaran counter parts. Whilst Abarans are content to stay on their planet, Actyans are more prone to go to other worlds. It is by no coincidence that Actya was selected as the site for a Star Fleet Marine training base and that all Kerelians that have joined Star Fleet have famliey ties to Actya. Abaran is happy to be part of the UFoP's and welcomes visitors to their planet. Abarans make up nearly 100 percent of the diplomats to other planets and the UFoP's Ambassador. These are only small personality abberations between the people of the two continents and is a source of good natured planetary rivalry.
Origin and History
The Heart of Kerelia, an ancient religion, emerged during the Tes’Aedra, or New Beginning. On Actya it was known as Rona , and on Abaran as Cytus It is unknown how the religion and its practices flourished with nearly identical dogma and rituals on continents separated by 8000 km. Followers of the Heart believe it was a test of the Kerelian people and if they kept the faith they would be one people again. The texts for Heart of Kerelia are the compilation of the ancient teachings from both Rona and Cytus written by the prophets Bondara and Eocoll respectfully. Approximately 90 percent of Kerelians are followers of the Heart of Kerelia to varying degrees of faith and obedience.
BeliefsIt is a core belief to conquer all temptations and inner enemies such as anger, greed and pride by practicing non-attachment with the material
Philosophy of non-violence
Actya, which had a period of tribal wars viewed any violence in self-defense is acceptable even if one must attack first to survive. Ancient Rona texts validated the concept of forgiveness from the Gods if violence is used justly. Across the ocean the Abarans, who never knew of violence or wars, maintained that non-violence extended to all living things on earth which includes animals, fish and plants. Ancient Abarans had a strict diet of milk, nuts, seeds, and anything that fell from a plant naturally and was considered not living. The modern day following of followers of the Heart adhere more closely to the ancient Rona interpretation of non-violence. The symbol for the heart of Kerelia is a Heart which symbolizes the value of life. Inside the heart is a tear drop which symbolizes non-violence. On either side are souls marching up to heaven after achieving hallador.
Life and Afterlife
Followers believe every sentient being can become a God. They do not believe in a supreme creator or creators. Further, they believe that only the soul has determination on its faith and no Being can help the soul. According to the ancient texts, the universe is eternal. Nothing that exists now has ever been created nor will ever be destroyed. The universe consists of only heaven and hell.
Worship is practiced to ask the Gods for their guidance in the journey to liberate the soul. Worship takes place publicly at temples or at home at alters built of stone. The worship consists of devotions to the Gods by placing symbols of their possessions on the alter and meditation. Music and singing are key componets in the rituals. Worship is practiced every 16 days and may last hours.
The Dindri were once followers of the Heart of Kerelia but believed Kerelians were not adhering to the wishes of the prophets. They are xenophobes and broke away from the continents after the Ornis War. The sight of violence and devastation drove them to a monastic life style and the live in the caves carved below Ecosa. It is a mystery how they survive in the depths of Ecosa but signs of life are detected by space borne sensors.
Soon the gods grew weary of Merindora and they too wanted to travel the heavens. Before they departed they wanted Merindora to be bathing in light and be lush with vegetation and creatures so their fathers soul will not be lonely. Millan went to the frozen waste land and heaved a giant glacier into the air. It burst into many shiny pieces of crystal which became the stars. He heaved a second slab into the air and it burst with light to become the sun. Ouduna traveled to the volcanoes and reached his hand inside extracting the lava. Slowly he molded the semi-molten rock into the form of creatures which would roam and master the land and oceans of Merindora. He called these creatures Kerelians. Ouduna continued to shape the lava into lesser creatures which became the animals. Rysuan crushed a mountain into ashes and sent them flying with the wind. The ashes fell on the land and oceans of Merindora and soon plants of every imaginable kind were flourishing. Satisfied they carved 3 statues with likenesses of themselves. One of ice, one of wood, one of stone. They then left Merindora to explore the heavens never to return.
Tales of Merindora are enjoyed by Kerelian children today. Anthropologist theorize the that the foundation of the mythology rest with reproduction characteristics of the Kerelain women. Kerelian females give birth only once and bear three children. The gestation period is seventy three days. In the Kerlian Museum of History are what is beleived to be the stautes of wood and stone. The statue of ice, if it existed at all, was to have been destroyed during the upheaval that split Merindora in two.
Kerelian society has a love for music and to a lesser degree arts and sciences. Everything from names to architecture reflects aspects of music or art. Most Kerelians live in large cities with vast farmland between. An advanced transportation system consists of Transporters and a complex network of "near the speed of light" magnetic rail cars. They are an advanced technological society with a rating of N+ on the Planetary Development Scale but most choose to live as an agrarian society who still work the farmlands by hand and animal. Technological wonders that have seen their birth on Kerelia are used sparingly. Utilities such as water and power plants are automated requiring minimal maintenance and giving citizens the time to focus on their personal interests. The Kerelian Academy of Sciences regularly produces galaxy class scientists who are sought throughout the Federation. Power production on the planet is completely solar.
Kerelians generally have nuclear, monogamous families but many engage in polyamorous relationships (long-term or short, much as monogamous relationships). They believe that the community in its entirety is responsible for the development of a well-versed citizen. Kerelian parents exchange children from family to family for 2 months of the year so they can experience different forms of art and lifestyles. Children choose a Klata (life path) at 16, at the much-celebrated Klata ceremony. They may decide to choose to marry one or more individuals from age 21 onwards, but divorce is not allowed except in exceptional circumstances. Females are only fertile twice in their lives and give birth to up to three offspring, with one being uncommon. In order to have children, Kerelians must be tested and certified by the government as competent and suitable.
Kerelians are a non-violent race but are fierce to defend themselves if attacked. The incidence of violent crime is low but has seen a rise since the admittance to the Federation and the associated increase in visitors to the planet. The society welcomes all races and approves of inter-species mating.
The culture of Kerelia has evolved over thousands of years, beginning with Tes'Adeara, The New Beginning then continuing on with the Enlightenment period. Historians credit the Age of Enlightenment (when the peoples from Actya and Abaran met) with giving birth to and solidifying a single culture. The core Kerelian belief is that the mind and body are instruments of art and music. The number 64 is used an inordinate amount of times to be a coincidence. It is seen in musical notation, a number of symbols in their language, and art and architecture. When probed on this, most Kerelians simply shrug and say it is a beautiful number. Their culture puts great focus on the arts, which is often considered a science, particularly artistic expressions of emotion. So-called hard sciences based on mathematics, like physics or engineering, are also valued.
Music and DanceThe music of Kerelia is diverse and rooted deep in its history. Kerelian music separates into two parts: Traditional Abarian music, that which
Dance is considered a lesser form of expression but is not frowned upon. While Kerelians view music as a science, they view dance as entertainment and recreation.
Kerelian musical notation is complex and written around a golden ratio spiral. This ensures that the piece is both beautiful to play and read.
It is not uncommon to meditate for up to 3 hours a day. Kerelians practice 3 forms of meditation:
- Awareness Meditation: Focussed around awareness of breath, and on external sounds and sensations, usually practised in the morning. Often conducted outside, as there tend to be more things to listen to.
- Devotional Meditation: Prayer, for Kerelians, is considered a form of meditation in which one communications with God. It is conducted at a temple, shrine, or altar.
- Convergent Meditation: Focussed around the self. On thoughts, emotions, and visualisation. This is the most practised form of meditation on Kerelia, often at the end of the day before bed. It is used to unwind and process the thoughts and events of the day, as well as tackling any internal issues and conflicts the Kerelian might be having. This is always conducted in private or in the vicinity of a highly trusted individual because this is when the meditator is at their most emotionally and mentally vulnerable. Kerelians are, after all, empathic to a degree.
Art and Architecture
Kerelians believe that the body is a canvas. Children are allowed permanent body art from age 6 and piercings from 9. Both paintings and body art are anti-naturalist. They favour symbolism over realism. Artisans consider sculpting to be simplistic and avoid the art with the exception of architecture, and decorative religious pieces for temples. Often, Kerelians will get a symbolic tattoo for every significant life event they experience.
Kerelian city architecture is unique as it is beautiful. Each structure must be approved by the Provincial Board of Music to ensure it meets specific acoustic properties. Each structure design represents musical notation. When all adjacent structures are viewed together from above they represent a musical composition. Each city is named after the composition. There are some architects who are outliers, of course.Language
It is generally accepted that Kerelians have some of the most beautiful voices in the Galaxy. This a result of a unique physiology and an intricate and complex language. It is an extremely precise language with 43 consonants, 13 vowels, and 17 diphthongs. Word stress is placed on the vowels and diphthongs. Nouns in Kerelian are assigned one of five grammatical genders, which have no relation to real gender and are expressed tonally. It is worth noting that there is no future tense - when discussing the future, words should be added like "soon" to differentiate present and future. There is also no implicit plural of nouns and instead, requires a number or words like "many". Dialects largely disappeared due to the Age of Enlightenment and there are six distinct accents originating from the two continents and the 4 major islands. Most say the voices have a sing song like quality. This is probably attributed to the fact that the language has sixteen tones, as well a tones which combine existing tones using both sets of vocal chords. The language is impossible for most races to speak.
- Avyan: The most common. Avyan is required for school children and most reach the level of instructor by age 17, and achieve Master status by the age of 25. Traditionally, Avyan is practised after morning meditation. It focuses on using core strength and footwork with powerful movements to throw an attacker off balance. Great focus is placed on breath control and being in sync with one's body, sometimes being treated as a form of meditation itself, and some instructors believe you should flow like water while others believe it should be practised quickly, like fire. That said, there are widespread tournaments and when used for actual combat, it is a highly competitive sport, drawing huge crowds. Avyan used to be far more dangerous before it was modified to be suitable for children, the elderly, and sport.
- Blabeta: Taught only after one has achieved the level of Instructor in Avyan. A highly aggressive style, it believes a good offence is the best defence. It is taught to those in the Orbital Security Forces and Provincial Peace Officers. Known for quick brutal moves, it utilises the whole body as an offensive weapon from elbow strikes to headbutts. It is a particularly dangerous art and has resulted in many injuries, even for those highly trained. Fights between two Blabeta practitioners always promises to be a brutal, explosive event.
- Cyluin: The most difficult and deadly of the arts, it is what Avyan it was modified. Cyluin is explicitly not competitive due to a high number of deaths. Its history goes back before the Age of Enlightenment and originated on Actya. It stresses control of self and cunning. It focuses on minimal movement to achieve the greatest effect, with emphasis on controlling your opponent and their balance from the outset. Practitioners train in all kinds of weapons, nerves strikes, poisons, assassination techniques, and more. Furthermore, it is the only martial art on Kerelia which encourages the use of empathic and telepathic abilities in combat. Even Artists of this tradition are respected with high esteem due to the difficulty and time dedication (about 6 years). All of the training is conducted privately and practitioners are encouraged to not speak of it to outsiders. Only those deemed worthy of learning it by an Instructor or higher are allowed to learn, and one must be at least Master in Avyan. They usually train in secret, and when one achieves the level of Master they are adorned with an honoured tattoo, which is added to with each rank after that. Some practitioners devote their entire lives to the art, but ranks above Master are incredibly difficult and may only be given by an Illustrious Master, and ranks above Journey Master must be granted by the Illustrious Grand Master themselves. Practitioners of Cyluin are not allowed to compete in Avyan tournaments.
- Mok'bara: A Klingon form of martial arts became popular after Kerelia became a member of the Federation. It has been growing in popularity over the years and may someday overtake Avyan in popularity. Use of the Bat'Leth and other Klingon weapons are incorporated into the training.
Ranks of Kerelian martial arts are arranged as such: Apprentice (rank 9-1), then Artist (degrees 1-15). Some ranks of Artist are named and are significant: Instructor (5th degree), Master (10th degree), High Master (11th degree), Great Master (12th degree), Journey Master (13th degree), Grand Master (14th degree), Illustrious Master (15th degree), Illustrious Grand Master (Head of the entire tradition). The final five degrees of Artist are the hardest and in some traditions (such as Cyluin) it can take years to progress even one level.
Kerelians spend their leisure with many activities which challenge their physical or mental prowess. They enjoy the challenges of climbing 40km to near orbit to summit of Mt. Aujin, to diving to the depths of the oceans, 29,000m. Many arenas are used for various sporting events. The most popular are, Geskana, Vajhaq, Parrises Squares, and Karo-Net. In addition to performances in the arts, Kerelians may enjoy leisurely games such as Tongo and 3D Chess. Some Kerelians, of course, prefer to simply socialise with others or study.
Customs and Rituals
Kerelians have many customs and rituals ranging from simple greetings to rituals celebrating milestones in life. Some of the more interesting customs are:
- It is bad luck to not make a small joke or pun when meeting someone new
- When invited to a friends house for a gathering you must sing briefly at the entrance to announce your arrival
- At meal time pets are fed first
- When a social superior approaches a table the inferiors must stand and greet them.
Rituals are taken very seriously by Kerelians. They have many rituals but the following three are rooted in their history and religion and are considered sacred and protected by law against blasphemy. For one to ridicule a ritual is a crime. It is not a crime however for those who do not follow the Heart of Kerelia. Many who are not followers do partake in the rituals out of respect for their culture and families.
- Hekla (Ritual of Birth):
- Naris (Ritual of Marriage): Kerelian individuals join as life long companions. It is the longest of the Kerelian rituals and consists of three parts; the proposal, the betrothal, and the union.
- Betrothal: All sets of parents exchange family histories and Lomins (family crest). They consult with an artist to combine the Lomins and give the artist permission to carve the new one. The parents of the couple work together to choose names for the expected children. Between the Betrothal and the Union, the couple undergoes a journey. The bride must travel to the island of Adatlina and meditate facing the east. The groom meditates on Clessa facing west. They join together on Edela and meditate on Mt. Urys.
- Union: The Naris is complete after the Union ceremony. All Union ceremonies are held on the island of Tanis. The ceremony is lavish and can take over five hours. During the Betrothal period, the couple is required to write a Comic Opera about the history the families. Friends of the families perform the opera. The elders of the families pretend they are offended by the comical depictions of themselves and throw vegetables at the couple who are in a booth of honour. The couple has time to change into formal attire and stand before a priest who performs the ceremony. After the vows have been recited in song the couple is stripped to the waist and a tattoo of the new Lomin is inked on their left shoulders. To complete the ceremony the couple holds onto each side of an Utra stone that contains a piece of straw. The straw is a fertility symbol representing the children they will be entrusted with. A large party follows lasting throughout the night.
- Linal (Ritual of Death):
Reincarnation involves the soul passing through the Labyrinth of Ages and may not be instant.
TechnologyPlanetary Development Scale. They are a space travelling race and have achieved warp capability. Power on the planet is produced from a unique method of harnessing ionized gases emitted from their sun and incorporating it into cold fusion. This method is highly efficient and portable devices can be used to power entire cities in case a natural disaster destroys the existing power producing facilities. Kerelia had developed cloaking technology but abandoned it after admission to the Federation in keeping with the Treaty of Algeron. They developed an unique transportation system which utilizes Transporters but also developed a revolutionary "near light speed" underground rail system. Sonic sciences technology is a major export of Kerelia. This technology has revolutionized how ore is mined on asteroids using remote sonic drills.
There is no official tender used by the citizens of Kerelia to purchase items. The economic system on Kerelia is based on shared wealth. Over a period of hundreds of years, giving to those that need what you do not need ended with the elimination of economic classes. Today all Kerelians work toward common goals. Barter and trade are common forms of exchange of goods and services as well as individual promises and contracts. The provincial governments use a complicated formula to buy and sell Latinum with each other. The formula is based on how much one provinces services and skills are lended to another province. The Treasury Department collects taxes on the accumulated Latinum and is used to trade with other planets for resources and goods not available on Kerelia. The profits made from trades are then re-distributed back to the provinces where they may make unilateral trades with approved trading partners.
Kerelia has no standing military designed to defend against attacks from other space faring species. Full membership to the Federation guarantees protection in the event of an aggressor. Because of the historical memories of the Ornis War all Kerelians at the age of 23 under go mandatory training in basic military skills and conduct planetary wide defense drills every two years. An Orbital Security Force (OSF) is equipped with 20 heavy cruisers to protect 8 space stations, prevent smuggling, and defend against piracy. An additional 7 light cruisers armed with Type 3 phasers are used to escort transports and cargo ships into Federation protected space. A small contingent of Star Fleet Marines is assigned to their permanent base north west of Actya Bay and can be used for defense with the permission of Star Fleet and UFoP's.
Federation Intelligence Files
They are an active member of the Federation with numerous personnel serving in Starfleet and other Federation organizations. However only a very small minority of them have ever joined the Marines.
Both Memory Alpha and Memory Beta were used as sources as well as the TV episode TNG: Lessons.
Much of the data for this file was simmed, compiled and developed by the writer Lt. Meng Ishkan Tian whose character is a Kerelian. It was later developed further and clarified by Ensign Mimi Locri'i, whose character is a Kerelian.
This file was updated and approved by the SDC on 5 March, 2012
come partially, or entirely from
|SPECIES PROFILE UPDATED
This profile was revised by the Species Development Committee.
|Please add any new information discovered during the course of a mission or shore leave.|