Black Tower Mission Types
“The better part of valor is discretion”
Starfleet Intelligence missions can be categorized into six major divisions:
Counter Intelligence duties within SFI are primarily directed at identifying intelligence activity targeting the Federation. This not only includes operations undertaken by hostile governmental agencies such as the Tal Shiar and the Obsidian Order. It also deals with threats from independent organizations such as the Orion Syndicate or the Maquis.
Counter Intelligence operations involve identifying possible hostile activity and taking preventative action to impede their operations. This could require uncovering long term operatives, taking proactive measures to stop planed operations or in extreme cases require Counter Terrorism teams being employed to resolve any urgent situations.
Deception & Disinformation
Generally these types of mission require careful and subtle planning. The aim is to impart information into the enemies' hands, which they believe viable. This may require 'sting' operations to be carried out. Often this is done to divert intelligence-gathering operations away from vital Federation interests or to disguise ongoing SFI operations.
There are two types of extraction mission:
1) Extraction of a friendly target. Typically this involves recovering undercover agents that have completed a mission; rescuing agents that have be compromised or assisting possible defectors.
2) Extraction of an unfriendly target: At times it may be necessary to obtain key enemy personnel to acquire their technical knowledge or strategic information.
Infiltration & Undercover Missions
Many SFI missions require the operative(s) to covertly infiltrate a target organization. This can be done in many ways such as in a cloaked ship, traveling in disguise or using some other subterfuge. Once successfully in place the operative(s) must complete their assigned mission and withdraw safely.
Reconnaissance & Surveillance
Intelligence information is collected in the following methods:
1) Intercepting subspace transmissions from listening posts along the Federation border and analyzing such transmissions and/or sending such transmissions to Starfleet Intelligence Headquarters for analysis
2) Researching data archives
3) Conducting field investigations and covert/overt strategic operations including infiltration, counterespionage, search and seizures.
Occasionally SFI investigates incidents that they consider could have some intelligence impact. Either through the involvement by outside agencies or other Nonaligned groups.