Arlo Adrienne Thornton is currently serving as the Assistant Chief Science Officer aboard the USS Gorkon.
|Position||Assistant Chief Science Officer|
Statistics & Service Record
- Full Name: Arlo Adrienne Thornton
- Gender: Female.
- Species: Human.
- Date Of Birth: 237107.23.
- Planet Of Birth: Earth.
- Hometown: Brisbane.
- Height: 1.7m (5"7').
- Weight: 60kgs (132lbs).
- Hair: Auburn.
- Eyes: Blue-Green.
- Build: Slim.
- Skin Tone: Caucasian.
- Handedness: Right.
Arlo’s voice can be best described as having a slightly raspy quality. Although born on the island of Australia she does not possess the local accent having grown up in the multi-cultural city of Brisbane. Additionally, her parents never developed the accent despite having lived in Brisbane for twenty years. However, she does have a tendency to slip into ‘strine twang’- an ancient tendency amongst Australians to adopt a nasal way of speaking that often makes statements sound like questions.
She is noted for her friendliness and for the fact that she is extremely sociable. She speaks her mind and is always honest with her opinions. As a teen, this often got her into trouble. Over the years, however, she learnt to only offer opinions and blunt assessments when she is asked for them. Some value these traits and she is usually the person that somebody turns to when they need to hear the truth and not be mollycoddled.
- Training Facility: Starfleet Academy, Earth.
- School of Study: School of Arts & Sciences
- Specialisations: Astronomy and Xenology
- Minor: Subspace Mechanics
- Starfleet Serial Number: JW - 391 - 883
- Current Rank: Lieutenant
- Current Assignment: Assistant Chief Science Officer, USS Gorkon.
- Mother: Rowena Elizabeth Thornton - Café Owner, Brisbane, Earth.
- Father: Liam Arlo Thornton - Café Owner, Brisbane, Earth.
- Siblings: Rebecca Jasmine Thornton (older sister) - Investigative Reporter for The Cestus III Herald.
- Spouse: None.
- Significant Other: None.
- Children: None.
Arlo is named for her paternal grandfather with whom her father was very close.
Hobbies & Interests
- Hobbies: Theatre and Xenobotany.
- Favourite Colour: Navy Blue.
- Favourite Scent: Lavender.
- Favourite Musical Style: Trill fado.
- Restrictions: Caffeine intolerant, vegetarian.
- Favourite Beverage: Apple tea (decaffeinated).
- Favourite Food: Hasperat.
Childhood & Teenage Years
Arlo Adrienne Thornton was born on stardate 237107.23 at the Our Lady Of Mercy Hospital, Brisbane on Earth to Rowena and Liam Thornton. The youngest of two daughters, she has an older sister- Rebecca- who is an investigative reporter for The Cestus III Herald. Arlo attended public school until the age of 18 and was noted for her interest in the sciences, most notably astronomy. She also worked part-time in her parents’ café which overlooked the scenic Brisbane River in the city centre. Part of her responsibilities involved ensuring that the café’s plants were watered, which triggered her interest in Xenobotany which became her hobby. Although she originally intended to attend university and begin a career as a civilian astronomer, she was convinced to apply to Starfleet by her secondary school astronomy professor- a retired officer- who believed she would thrive better within the organisation.
Arlo took the entrance exam for Starfleet Academy shortly after graduating from secondary school and passed on her first attempt. Enrolling as a Science Major she chose to specialise in Astronomy as well as Xenology with a minor in Subspace Mechanics. Many of her professors noted that Arlo was an eager and engaged student but one who struggled with balancing deadlines. In her second year she was cajoled by her roommate in to auditioning for a role in a performance of the Gilbert & Sullivan opera Iolanthe that was put on by the Academy’s Drama Society. She enjoyed the experience so much that she joined the society and it became something of a hobby for her. She graduated 21st in her class- although she barely scraped a pass on her Subspace Mechanics minor.
Upon graduating from Starfleet Academy, Arlo was assigned to Helaspont Station as a science officer. During her three years there she helped to conduct several deep range surveys of the nearby Helaspont Nebula and participated in a number of investigations of protoplanetary masses within its boundaries. Although her poor grasp of advanced subspace mechanics was highlighted as an area of improvement by her superiors, Arlo was commended a number of times for her diligence and her willingness to take point during group projects. Her department chief recommended her for the Assistant Chief position on the basis of her burgeoning leadership skills, although she was unsuccessful at that time.
She was promoted to Lieutenant (J.G.) upon completion of a mapping expedition of a previously uncharted protoplanetary cloud within the Helaspont Nebula on stardate 239403.22.
Assignment to the USS Gorkon
Though largely happy during her time assigned to Helaspont Station, Arlo felt herself becoming complacent with her role and therefore she chose to challenge herself. Applying for a transfer to starship duty, she was assigned to the USS Gorkon as Assistant Chief Science Officer.
Alternate Realities & Timelines
- Arlo was present in an alternate reality created by Q where members of the crew of the USS Gorkon were members of a Maquis cell in 2371. In this reality she was a hard-drinking sensor analyst whose aboard a Maquis interceptor called the Skarbek who had never attended Starfleet Academy. After the vessel was boarded by Cardassians, Quinn “Spooks” Reynolds secured Arlo in the ship’s engineering compartment and tasked with her finding a medkit. When Reynolds returned for her, she found Arlo asleep- having found the medkit and a bottle of tequila that had been stashed with it. The two made plans to board the Cardassian vessel to rescue captured members of the Skarbek’s crew.
|Cadet First Class||239212.28||Graduated Starfleet Academy||Science Officer|
|Ensign||239301.10 - 239408.22||Helaspont Station.||Science Officer.|
|Lieutenant JG||239408.22 - 239610.31||Helaspont Station.||Science Officer|
|Lieutenant||Stardate 239611.10 - PRESENT.||USS Gorkon.||Assistant Chief Science Officer|
Awards & Service Ribbons
- (We've gone ahead and filled in your first service ribbon: the Starfleet Academy Graduate Ribbon. As you complete missions and continue to serve with the fleet, you'll earn additional awards and service ribbons that you can post here, with the date you got them! For full instructions on how to add more awards and service ribbons, check out Template:Ribbons Display.)
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
- "The Good Stuff" - Stardate 239611.12: In an alternate reality, Arlo is woken from a drunken slumber to help take back the Maquis Raider Skarbek.
- To end your bio, we're going to drop in some code here for your ship's crew template, which should appear at the bottom of your bio and will help members of the fleet easily browse other bios of your shipmates. Change the name of the ship below to whatever the name of your character's ship is, unless of course you've been assigned to the USS Gemini! Don't forget the letter suffix for your ship if yours has one (such as the USS Darwin-A).
|NPC Listing · USS Gorkon Crew Manifest · Crew History