- Current Rank: Ensign
- Duty Post: Medical Officer
- Current Vessel:
- Date Assigned:
- Species: Terran
- Gender: Male
- Date of Birth: 235611.01
- Place of Birth: Greater London Infirmary, Great Britain , Earth
- Full name: Melvyn Mannell
- Age: 26; date of birth: 235611.01
- Species: Human
- Gender: Male
- Hair Color: Blond, worn a medium length (due to Stafleet regul
- Eye Color: Blue
- Height: 6ft 0 inch
- Parents: Andrew (retired) and Mary (semi-retired)
- Siblings: Two; Sarah, a 30 year old lawyer and Paul, a 21 year old student.
- Spouse: None.
- Children: None.
Melvyn Mannell was born of Andrew and Mary Mannell on 1 November 2356 in Greater London Infirmary, Great Britain , Earth. He was the second of three children in his immediate family. He had a stable and privileged family background; with all his education delivered by public schools. Andrew Mannell was a successful commodities broker before his retirement and was able to afford the best for his wife and family. They lived in a large property within Central London , where Mary Mannell was engaged full time as a mother and home manager. There were a few domestic servants who required managing, in addition to ensuring the children received the best education that credits could buy.
Melvyn’s first experience of the medical profession occurred when he was 7 years of age. He had just started primary school and was on a school outing to one of the many exclusive art museums in London . A nearby pedestrian was struck by a speeder, causing the unfortunate woman to sustain serious and somewhat bloody injuries. Whilst most passers by looked away in horror, young Melvyn was fascinated by the speed and resourcefulness of the medical response team that attended. Some 10 years later, when considering whether to enroll in medical school, he tracked down the young lady who had come so close to death and interviewed her. She had since married, started a family and retrained as a botanist. It was this singular incident that first caused Melvyn to consider medicine as a profession and this singular lady’s life story that convinced him to pledge the rest of his career to medicine.
Mannell was not the brightest of students, but personal tutors and extra curriculum activities balanced up his inadequacies to ensure that he exam success. He enrolled at Marsden’s University to read medicine. Once at university, he was no longer under his mother’s influence. He studied less and partied more, enjoying the thrill of adventure and the wildness of freedom. He dated many girls but the only one who he might have sustained a relationship with was Joy Morgan, a fellow doctor in training who harboured ambitions to join Starfleet. Her family background was Starfleet rather than commerce, and the stories she told of her childhood and her parents inspired young Melvyn. He explored the possibility of joining the Academy and it appeared a wise career choice. Having fallen behind with his exams, he pleaded with his parents to provide funding to assist him obtain the elusive firsts required, and with considerable extra assistance, he qualified as a doctor with a first class degree.
He joined Starfleet and was surprised to find Joy in the same class. They had broken up due to his infidelity with another student (several actually) and despite Melvyn’s desire to rekindle the relationship, Joy did not trust him. However, her presence in the class helped him concentrate on his studies (as opposed to the potential relationships with other pretty students) and ultimately was a significant factor in him achieving a respectable grade in each of his end of year examinations. He was mediocre by Starfleet Standards, but his achievements were considerably above his own average potential. With two very good years behind him, young Dr Mannell undertook his first real experience of space travel on his year long cadet cruise on the USS WEIGHTMAN.
The WEIGHTMAN was a science vessel and Mannell saw very little by way of action, and thus very few traumas. His fellow doctors in the infirmary spoke of their experience in various conflicts and the grisly injuries they treated. Melvyn worried whether he would be able to cope if thrown into a battle situation, of which he has no experience whatsoever.
As coincidence would have it, one of the WEIGHTMAN’s junior botanists was Mrs Eva George, the unfortunate lady who Melvyn had witnessed being treated all those years ago. Now in her mid forties, Melvyn developed an unhealthy crush on Mrs George which led to an formal warning for harassment on Mannell’s file. In an attempt to rid his memory of these inappropriate urges, Melvyn spent the last year at the Academy dating as many women as possible, a feature of his current character. He passed the final year’s examinations, just, and is currently undergoing his final training simulation before qualifying from the Academy as a Cadet.
- 235611.01: Born, Greater London Infirmary , Britain , Earth
- 235909.01: Began Nursery School (aged 2.75)
- 236109.01: Began Infant School (aged 4.75)
- 236309.01: Began Primary School (aged 6.75)
- 236402.03: Witnessed Eva Brown's (subsequently Eva George) accident
- 236709.01: Began Senior School (aged 10.75)
- 237109.01: Began College (aged 15.75)
- 237209.01: Year 2 of College
- 237303.06: Interviewed Eva George
- 237409.01: Year 3 of College
- 237509.01: Began Marsden’s University, reading medicine
- 237609.01: Year 2 of Med School
- 237709.01: Year 3 of Med School
- 237801.01: Dated Joy Morgan (7 months)
- 237809.01: Year 4 of Med School
- 237901.01: Confirmed provisional admission to Starfleet Academy
- 237907.23: Received finals results – passed
- 237908.01: Admitted to roll of Doctors
- 237909.01: Began Starfleet Academy
- 238009.01: Began Academy Year 2
- 238109.01: Began 1 year training cruise on USS WEIGHTMAN
- 238204.23: Formal level 1 warning – harassment of Ensign Eva George
- 238209.03: Began Academy Year 4
- 238308.25 Passed final academic examinations
- 238310.01: Began final Starfleet practical examinations/simulation