|Birthplace||Noi Village, Ferenginar|
Cmdr. Brek is a former diplomat, currently serving as the Commanding Officer aboard the USS Columbia
- 1 Stats
- 2 Family
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Personality
- 5 Preferences
- 6 Mannerism
- 7 Personal History
- 8 Quarters
- 9 Professional History
- 10 Hobbies & Pastimes
- 11 General Notes
- 12 Awards & Service Ribbons
- 13 Mission History
--- Brek before he joined the Fleet ---
- Quarters: Due to his tendency for hoarding, his quarters are often untidy.
- Favorite Room: A large and quiet conference room, where he has all the space for himself.
- Mannerisms: Brek often scratches his forearms when he finds himself in an uncomfortable situation. He also grins in an uncertain way when he realizes that his interlocutors aren't being entirely honest with him.
- Spiritual Devotion: He believes that the purpose of life is to amass as much material possessions as one can.
- Likes: He likes food, especially when it's a delicacy he has never tried before. He favors meals with fish and apple pies.
- Dislikes: He dislikes violence, and he believes that every problem can be solved with latinum.
- Ambitions and Goals: To gain respect from his own people and prove to them that Starfleet is a viable option to become wealthy and respected.
- Achievements in Life: The fact that for almost two years, as a CDO, he was in charge of the Diplomatic Tower on SB118.
- Disappointments in Life: That his own people often think that he is either a fool or a coward for being a diplomat.
- Temperament: He is usually easygoing and extrovert, but at the sign of danger he often becomes anxious (unless there is some latinum to be made on the side.).
- He was born on Ferenginar to a family that has acquired its wealth selling Ferengi memorabilia to tourists and expats (reputed to be attracted to anything that glitters like gold).
- He was educated at the Korpa boarding school for young entrepreneurs, where he stayed between age 3 to 18.
- Following this long spell away from his native village, he felt estranged from his relatives and decided to leave Ferenginar altogether.
- After a few years, where he erred here and there, working for various mining operators, he developed a passion for geology and, aged 24, entered Starfleet Academy.
- Prior to joining Starfleet Academy, he also spent some time on Risa, where he lost an inordinate amount of money in their casinos.
- Unfortunately, Brek wasn't really up to his father's standards and it is said among the family circle, that out of spite, he abandoned Ferenginar for StarFleet.
- He now receives little news from his parents, and expects that Kreb, his younger brother, will one day inherit the family's financial empire. He used to feel bitter because of this, but now he thoroughly enjoys the freedom and sense of discovery that StarFleet has given him.
- He is not entirely free of his family though: His 90 year old grandmother, Ara, lives on Starbase 118 and has a knack for disrupting his life. She likes to call him 'Little Beetle' when she has something to ask him, and 'Snout Beetle' when she is unhappy with him.
- While studying at the Academy, Brek formed a long-lasting friendship with Montague Eickleberger, a diplomatic student who was specializing in Cardassian relations. To this day, they continue to have their long discussions on everything diplomatic.
Hobbies & Pastimes
- He keeps a close eye on the financial market of the Trinity Sector, to follow the numerous shares he has acquired over the years.
- Ever since his years at the Academy, he has developed a strong liking for Earth food, and can often be found in lounges and mess halls, eating copious meals.
- He also has a keen interest in Terran literature, reading classic authors such as Shakespeare, W. S. Maugham and Stevenson.
- During his tribulations in SB 118's Diplomatic Tower, he adopted an Acamarian spider called Alice. She is red and black and is as large as a man's hand.
- Although his relatives consider him to be a drop-out, Brek's utmost goal is to prove them wrong and, ultimately, create his own financial empire. In the meantime, he is 100% dedicated to his career within the Fleet.
- Most Ferengis tends to think that he lives like a human, yet Brek still leads a rather secluded life, where objects often have more importance than people.
Awards & Service Ribbons
(1) Ribbon also received in 2391 on the USS Columbia
Missions on Starbase 118
Missions on the U.S.S. Excalibur-A (Cont.)
Brek's very first assignment sees him working on Station 118, where a group of terrorists has planted multiple bombs. He nonetheless carried on with his normal tasks, and monitored a commercial transaction between various species, only to discover that one of them is a terrorist.
Later on, during the attacks, he witnessed the death of Commander Guy Hunt, who sacrificed his life to protect his colleagues.
At the beginning of his career he worked under the guidance of Federation Ambassador Frazier and met with the mysterious Mr Sen, an intel agent who gave him an insight into the dark world of secret operations.
During this mission he took part in the negotiations that established the legitimacy of the Thracian Alliance and encountered Senator Vreeya for the first time.
While on the resort planet, he spent his time exploring the main island; bought various antiques and had a go at metal detecting.
This time SB118 became the target of a secretive Romulan faction called the Reikara. With the help of the Security Department, he tried to discover if there were any Romulan conspirators among the Diplomats posted on the Starbase.
In order to keep the various Embassies at peace, Brek had to confront a group of disruptive Nausicaans. He also rescued a pet spider which had escaped from its vivarium.
Following the invasion of several ‘Shadows’ who took hold of most of the senior crew, Brek and Counsellor Valyn monitored Freo, one of the two survivors from the USS Calgary.
During the conflict that opposed a fleet of Klingons rogues to the Thracian Alliance, Brek, along with Ambassador Gavin MacLaren, played a role in the signing of the Thracian protectorate.
While the Dragons were attacking the Columbia, Brek remained prudently away from the action. However, no sooner had he reached the safety of the Bridge that he was enrolled into a team on its way to confront one of those giant beasts. He didn't fare too well and discovered that in the face of danger, he was quite incapable of acting rationally.
He behaved better later when, along with Ensign Nevarass and Lt Commander Breeman, he tried to communicate with Puncdor. (A juvenile dragon which had the ability to speak.)
On arrival at the Odyssey Station, Brek soon realized that the fates of Anya and Cmdr Cody were in the hands of the Greeters, as they had absolute control over their Station. Thankfully for the crew, those superior beings accepted to return the two missing Starfleet members without creating further problems.
This long journey to a different galaxy has affected Brek deeply, and it took him some time to cast away the sense of dread that had prevailed while they were on Odyssey Station.
With the help of Ambassador MacLaren, Brek tried to locate the missing drug called Vitali 7. This proved to be a delicate affair when he discovered that his grandmother had a financial interest in that drug.
Later, with the arrival of Commodore t'Lweii, Brek contacted Senator Vreeya to get some information about the plague that was devastating several Romulan colonies. What she revealed about the state of the Romulan Empire led him to rethink his position as a diplomat on 118.
Missions on the U.S.S. Excalibur-A
Brek was one of the crewmembers who accompanied Captain Nicholotti to the surface of Agurtha. There, he discovered that Acting Director Pondahk had political ambitions, so he presented him to Commodore T'lweii and Senator Vreeya, as the best chance for Agurtha's future.
This was Brek's very first visit to a Romulan planet, and he will not keep fond memories of the few hours he spent there. Although he wore a protection suit, the constant fear of catching the Agurtha plague had a serious impact on his constitution. This concern reached a peak when the Tal Shiar made an attempt on Pondahk's life, while Brek was in the director's office.
On his return to the USS Excalibur, Brek continued to liaise between the Romulan dignitaries to ensure that all parties would work peacefully together. Once a solution to the plague had been found, Brek went to sickbay to prompt the doctors to put everything in place to manufacture the serum as quickly as possible.
While interacting with Dr Skyfire, Brek decided to name this serum the Skyfire Cure.
During the shoreleave that preceded the mission, Brek, (following Silveira's instructions), went to 118 to buy masses of food for a party that would take place in a holodeck. This party was designed by Ensign Laveaux, and included mischievous fairies.
During the drills that followed, Brek worked with Intel and Dr Skyfire to try to unmask (without success) two saboteurs. Those had been chosen among the crew by Captain Nicholotti.
Brek has his work cut out for him when the Excalibur comes across a station called Erscyne, which is inhabited by three species who believe strongly in isolationism. While trying to propose a diplomatic solution to them, he is affected by several hallucinations that remind him how much he dislikes Ferenginar.
Missions on the U.S.S. Columbia
Soon after his transfer to the Columbia, Brek led his first away team on a supposedly deserted Romulan planet called Avronis. A sudden attack by the Tal Shiar resulted in a prompt evacuation of the team and the killing of an alien of unknown origin.
While the Columbia was transporting 170+ colonists to Pernipia Gamma Four, a planet which Starfleet is eager to colonize, the crew was confronted to the nefarious plans of Robert Carson and his henchman Gerard.
Thankfully Brek was sent to planet Pernipia. There he led a rather uneventful away team, spiced up by the finding of a colony of spiders and a rather bumbling Pakled, sent by Carson's allies to map the Kelbonite deposits.
Columbia returned to Avronis V where they were once again confronted to the planet's heavy pollution. After a first contact with what appeared to be an Iconian, Brek solicited the help of Flynn, Tatash, and Stennes to conjure up the best plan to destroy the Iconian gate located on Avronis.
On the fringe of Operation 'Knife Point' being launched by the Fleet, the USS Columbia is sent to Hemix, a mostly barren planet in the Skalur expanse (near the Zelia Gatis region), for a scientific and observation mission.
There, the away teams met with a dangerous spirit that controlled insects and a giant dog-like creature from the 4th dimension. They also encountered a group of pirates led by a Bolian woman called Chennel, who captured Kelly, Ezo, Nugra (who had turned feral) and Whittaker, whom she tortured.
Later, the 4th dimension creature attacked the pirates' ship, whose crew and hostages were rescued in extremis by Columbia.
On Columbia, Brek became the target of a changelling and Sicarian agent called Que. Thankfully Tribune Shiarrael diverted the attack. While the crew was chasing the assassin, Breeman found a way to get away from the 4th dimension, which continued to grow on the Hemix.
|NPC Listing · USS Columbia Crew Manifest · Crew History