Lt Commander Shar'Wyn Foster is a microsurgical specialist and a self proclaimed medical genius currently serving as Chief Medical Officer (and head Tribble-Whisperer) aboard the USS Eagle.
- Full Name: Shar'Wyn Foster
- Race: Official record states: Andorian | Actually: Andorian / Aenar
- DoB: 236406.06 (approximated)
- Place of Birth: Thar'Shan Colony, Andorian territory
- Age: 31
- Gender: Male
- Telepathic Status: T0/E0 Telepathic/Empathic Scale
- Height: 5'4" (1.63m)
- Weight: 145 lbs (65.5k)
- Hair: Pure white, cut short, shaggy and unruly
- Eyes: Blue
- Skin Tone:: Pale Blue
- Build: Short and slight of stature, Wyn would be what most people would call compact or ‘wiry.’
- Distinguishing marks: Small birthmark on his left shoulder manifesting as a patch of white skin
- Face: Sharp, heart-shaped
- Mouth: Either smirking or open and speaking far too quickly.
- Arms: proportional
- Legs: quite short
- Notable marks: Wyn has a birthmark manifesting as a patch of white skin on his left shoulder. He is also missing his little and part of his 4th toes due to cellular necrosis/frostbite from his youth.
- Carriage: Upright and confident, and often ‘perky.’
- Poses: Slouchy, casual and cocky if at all possible.
- Expressions: Where most Andorians emote with their antennae frequently displaying an unaffected facial expression Wyn has been raised by Terrans and emotes with both Antennae and facial expressions, often working in unison. This makes him appear overly animated to all species; and towards Andorians he seems like all expressions have been 'turned to eleven'
- Voice: Bright, brash. Shar'Wyn has none of the lisping inflection usually attributed to his race, and he speaks with a sharp New England Terran accent.
- Appearance: Very short and slim, Wyn looks like he never grew to his full height. He's a bright eyed, grinning little blue imp with a stunningly intense gaze frequently sporting a catty smirk.
- Off Duty Appearance: Wyn favors white button down shirts, pants with lots of pockets and a roadmap to the nearest party...
- Shoes: Whatever fits.
- Handedness: Left.
- Talents/Abilities: Shar’Wyn is a talented bartender in his spare time, a cross country runner and he’s murderously good at Sudoku.
- Special Abilities: Excellent, nearly hypersensitive senses of hearing and smell. Looking terribly innocent when he’s in trouble…
- Likes: French fries. Flirting with pretty women. Unusual medical puzzles. Tarkalian tea. Meeting new people.
- Dislikes: Small minded and judgmental people. Bureaucracy. Anti-Gravity exercises.
- Quirks: Sucks his teeth when deep in thought, always carries a laser cutter in his boot, can get hopelessly lost at the drop of a hat.
- Hobbies/Interests: Learning new drink recipes, debating medical topics, reading cleverly written mystery novels (he likes to guess the ending…) and Klingon calisthenics.
- Quarters: Wyn eschews doors whenever possible. He favors low furniture and prefers an eclectic pile of bedding on a special floor-style mattress over a traditional bed.
- Favorite Drink: Samarian Sunsets.
- Favorite Food: French fries. Popcorn.
- Habits: Talks fast. Very fast. Irritatingly fast. Tends to stand on his tiptoes when saying something important.
- Mannerisms: Wyn is sharp and fast in his movements. He is quite expressive and dramatic - sometimes amusingly melodramatic.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Wyn is spiritual without being orthodox or traditional. He is deeply (sometimes shockingly) devoted to friends and family - something that people often do not realize about him at first glance.
- Ambitions and Goals: Make a good name for himself and his adoptive family in Starfleet, see the universe, sate his excessive curiosity and make his father proud.
- Achievements in Life: Being awesome. No, really...
- Disappointments in Life: Wyn would tell you he has no disappointments in his life. However as a person who wears their heart on their sleeve, he is deeply affected by rejection and cruelty. He just hides it pretty well.
- Temperament: Brash, sarcastic and sharp, Wyn tempers this with an honest curiosity about people and a deep desire to make connections. Off duty he loves a good party and has a flexible, fun sense of humor. On duty he can range anywhere from incredibly focused to sassy and borderline insubordinate.
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias): Wyn is unusually unnerved by windstorms. After transferring from the Atlantis to the Apollo he has difficulty trusting others and a borderline phobia of betrayal.
- Physical Limitations: Shar'Wyn is highly susceptible to anti-gravity sickness.
- Strengths: Shar’wyn has a natural aptitude for science and medicine, something honed by his adoptive father. He is a brilliant and unconventional surgeon, often willing to seek out and try new solutions to medical problems. He is physically fit and quite courageous, both socially and on a battlefield.
- Limitations: Shar’wyn has no brain/mouth filter, and will speak when he should keep his mouth shut. His adoptive father has an infamous reputation among some circles in Starfleet as a notorious rules breaker and troublemaker who was demoted two steps in rank before being forced to retire; which can cause problems with someone familiar with the name. He is unusually sensitive to bright lights (even for an Andorian), and does not do well in hot environments (racial standard). He is terrible at navigation and astronavigation, and can get lost at the drop of a hat. He was also raised in an unusual adoptive situation and has some discomfort with others of his own race.
Outgoing and brash. Shar’Wyn is highly intelligent, naturally inquisitive and very talkative. He is highly adept at sarcasm and frequently uses it in times of stress and frustration. He is extremely curious and interested in exploring new places and meeting new people. He has little social fear and will say what he thinks, and appears to be painfully honest, to the point of bluntness. He has remarked on several occasions that he is honor bound to always keep his word.
He seems quite at ease with his family situation – proud to adopt his father’s name. While comfortable in most social and training situations, he has exhibited an unusual avoidance of both bright lights and high winds; this may be due to traumatic memories from his early childhood surfacing.
Wyn has never been to Andor, nor has he had a close relationship with an Andorian since he was a small child growing up on the USS Augury. To this end, most Andorian cultural references simply escape him.
Growing up in a happy, if unusual, family situation, Wyn has never expressed interest in finding his biological parents, and probably will not seek them out unless he has some external prompting.
Following a bad situation on one of his former ships, Wyn had become very paranoid and mistrustful of authority. This is something he is slowly working on improving, but still harbors misgivings against most people, especially if they come off as false or selfish in any way.
•Marital Status: Single
•Children: None yet
- Classified Information: Shar'Wyn Foster Biological Family
Born on the Thar’Sharn colony of Andoria, Shar’Wyn left the moon at such a young age he can barely remember life there.
Thar’Shan is an icy moon, ideal for Andorian colonization. It was a favorite destination for Andorian clansmen interested in escaping the high-tech Federation influence that has permeated the homeworld. Some see Thar’Shan as a mecca for living ‘by the old ways’ others see it as a hopelessly backward bunch of loonies, and they’re glad to confine them to their own moon.
Either way, 25 years ago a terrible malfunction in a planetary supply freighter’s engine core caused the crew to be evacuated. The freighter was drawn into Thar’Shan’s atmosphere and exploded. Nothing was thought of it until people started dying from radiation poisoning.
The USS Augury was called in to aid the colony, lending its scientific aid towards stopping the radiation, and its skilled medical team to assisting the colonists. Their task was made difficult by the nomadic lifestyle of the clans living on Thar’Shan, and their rejection of technology. The medical teams took to searching for groups of people and offering whatever medical aid the colonists would accept. On one such search they found a young Andorian child abandoned in a blizzard. Suffering from hypothermia, dehydration, frostbite and trauma; care of the child was passed on to the CMO of the Augury: Dr. Cade Foster.
As the radiation was slowly taken care of, they tried to look into the background of the child in their care but found frustratingly few answers. Unable to tell if his family had succumbed to radiation poisoning or if he was deliberately left behind (an unfortunate custom of the superstitious clans to leave behind sacrifices to the elements…), the child was too young to be of much help. The Augury retained care of the boy. When contacting the Andorian government proved quite fruitless (the colony had few formal records), the ship became a second home to the child.
Lieutenant Foster was, in his own right, a man with quite a past. A brilliant surgeon, he was also known as a sarcastic, misanthropic jerk with little sense of protocol or bedside manner. He has once been a Commander in Starfleet but was demoted for disobeying orders and disrespecting other senior officers (and this following over a dozen transfers from other postings due to people being unable to stand his unpleasant attitude, despite his medical brilliance). Yet Dr. Foster was a sucker for an outcast, especially a young child. As the young Andorian child recovered he found himself bonding with the boy and fighting for him. Dr. Foster stepped in to speak for the child when the Andorian government was going to take him back and place him in an Andorian orphanage. And Dr. Foster ended up being the child’s adoptive father.
Shar’wyn recovered beautifully in time, and grew up on the Augury. When he was 11, the Yolanda wars conflict caused the Augury to change from exploratory duty to wartime assignment, and it caused Dr. Foster decided to finally retire. He left for earth to work with Starfleet medical, bringing Shar’wyn with him.
A bright kid, Shar’Wyn adapted well to living on Earth. In many ways he thinks of Earth as home more than Andor or its colonies. At least the northern parts of Earth! Something of a troublemaker, he was used to being around people older than himself (although he did know a few professor’s kids and certainly encouraged them to get into plenty of trouble…). Easily bored, he was fond of finding new things to try or new places to explore.
He was also used to an unusual family situation as his father had no living relatives and no spouse, but Shar’Wyn grew up with plenty of ‘aunts’ and ‘uncles’ who were close friends of the family. His father had a keen interest in testing Wyn’s medical aptitude and when he found the child was eager to learn he taught him as much as he could.
Fortunately (or not) Shar’Wyn idolizes his father, and beyond the many fine skills he has learned, he has also adopted some of Cade Foster’s unpleasant traits such as unorthodox methods and a tendency to talk back. This has always dogged his progress in school (that and the tendency to tune out any topics he found uninteresting… like astronavigation…). He excels at his chosen studies, but was decidedly average at anything he found less than engaging.
He studied pre med, with an emphasis on pathology and neurology before attending the academy, at his father’s advice. Shar’Wyn was the one who wanted to enter Starfleet – both to prove he could excel at his chosen field and because he felt a longing to go back to the stars.
- Classified Information: Shar'Wyn Foster History
Wyn's office is a bizarre collection of artifacts left over from past medical officers as well as his own collection of things that calm people down and make him happy, including:
- The Comfy Chair: A plush, ultra soft recliner upholstered in fabric that is the exact same shade of a sunset on Risa. Very, very comfy.
- The Stoner Lamp: An ultrasonic scent diffusing color-changing lamp left behind by the former medical officer on the Atlantis.
- Triberius: A hybridization of Felis catus and Polygeminus grex. Designed for advanced cuddle therapies. Stolen from Liani.
- A Daruma Doll: A memento of Renos, the former CMO of the Apollo
- A miniature banjo: A memento of Jerome Milsap, aCMO of the USS Constitution-B
- A cactus: An apology gift from T'Reshik
- A small grey box with the word 'scary' etched inside: a memento of Edward Spears, aCMO of the USS Constitution-B
Name Note 1: By Andorian naming standards, the familiar of his name should be shortened to ‘Shar’ – However, growing up on earth, Shar’Wyn prefers and usually introduces himself as ‘Wyn’ (because it sounds like a human name, and that’s what his father called him)
This would be similar to a human named Frederick shortening their name to ‘Erick’ or ‘Rick’ rather than ‘Fred’
Name Note 2: In Andorian his first name should be pronounced 'Shah-reen' ( \shä-rēn\ ) However his adoptive father couldn't say that properly and pronounced it a far more human sounding 'Shar-Win' ( \ˈshär-ˈwin\ ). The importance of this? Any Andorian / Andorian speaker would be immediately aware this this is not correct. Maybe curious, maybe offended... but certainly aware.
Shar'Wyn and his family have no relation to the PC Harold Foster. It is simply a common surname.
- Wyn's first posting was the USS Kilim, a ship he has few good feelings about. His career progress was hampered by the CMO of the Kilim Dr. Tarenstar, and he was eventually encouraged to transfer after defending a group of children during a terrorist attack by taking offensive action. Deemed inappropriate for a doctor to take such measures, Dr. Tarenstar filed a formal protest and Wyn was transferred to the USS Atlantis
- Wyn served 9 months on the Atlantis, feeling that he had found a crew he could call family for the first time. Sadly this was brought to a crashing halt when fellow crewmember Thomas Janeway assaulted him during an episode of Pon Farr. Wyn decided to press charges, something his CO disagreed with. He was removed from the Atlantis and barred from practicing medicine during his recovery.
- He was transferred to the USS Apollo-A serving as a diplomatic officer for a short time, until Commander Renos was called to command the USS Darwin, and Wyn stepped back up as chief medical officer.
- He moved to the USS Constitution-B When the rest of the crew made the move following CO Jalana Rajel
|Cadet, 4th Class||238402.05 - 238902.17||Starfleet Academy, San Francisco (Earth)||Student|
|Cadet, 3rd Class|
|Cadet, 2nd Class|
|Cadet, 1st Class|
|Ensign||238905.01 - 239105.05||USS Kilim||Medical Officer|
|Ensign||239106.12 - 239108.26||USS Atlantis||Medical Officer|
|Lieutenant JG||239108.26 - 239110.30|
|Lieutenant||239110.30 - 239201.27||Chief Medical Officer|
|239201.27 - 239202.16||USS Apollo-A||Diplomatic Officer|
|239202.16 - 239205.28||Chief Medical Officer|
|239205.28 - 239206.08||USS Constitution-B|
|Lt Commander||239206.08 - 239510.31|
|239510.31 - Present||USS Eagle|
Awards & Service Ribbons
|AWARDS & COMMEMDATIONS
- Good Doctor - (239107.01 - During a dire quarantine situation Dr. Foster reflects on one of his defining moments in his short service to Starfleet)
|NPC Listing · USS Eagle Crew Manifest · Crew History