- Niarman Hanad is currently serving as Counselor aboard Starbase 118.
- Height: 1.73 meters
- Weight: 58.9 kg
- Hair: Brownish/Black with waves, worn closely cropped in a pixie cut
- Eyes: Black
- Build: Slight but strong
- Father: Vodriem Hanad
Vodriem Hanad is an El-Aurian who made his home on Betazed many years ago. He teaches various types of philosophy classes at the University of Betazed. He is often seen around campus walking barefoot in the grass because “he loves the feel of it.” He has also studied Betazoid culture for many years, and finds the planet a peaceful refuge. He has been known to dabble in music, and particularly enjoys playing the Vulcan harp. When Niarman, who was named after his mother, was a child, he encouraged her to read as much philosophy as she could absorb, but also to pursue whatever subjects she felt passionate about. When asked about his age, Vodriem replies that he “lost track at 300.”
- Mother: Alastor Hanad
Alastor Hanad is a holistic healer and artist from Betazed, who is many, many years younger than her spouse. She has a reputation for being eccentric, but is also held in high regard by many in Betazoid society. She calls herself a “keeper of the old ways and has written a series of books on Betazoid holistic healing and folk medicine. When Niarman was a child, Alastor would take her on hikes throughout the Betazoid wilderness to harvest plants, observe wildlife, and commune with nature. Alastor has also won recognition as one of the most prolific, and well respected, artists on Betazed.
- Siblings: None
- Spouse: None
- Children: None
237310.30: Born during the Dominion War, in the capital city of Shi’K'har on Vulcan, where her parents had sought refuge after they escaped the Jem’Hadar. Her parents were preparing to leave Vulcan after the war had ended, but Alastor’s pregnancy delayed them leaving.
2378: The family returns to Betazed, settling in the Capital City, where Vodriem begins teaching at the University and Alastor reopens her wholistic healing practice.
23906.15: Niarman graduates from high school and enters the University. She decides to pursue a degree in psychology, specializing in the treatment of post-traumatic mental health.
239606.09: Completes four years of college and two years of graduate school to earn her Masters degree in Counseling. She applies for, and is accepted to, Starfleet Academy.
Niarman Hanad was an unexpected blessing to her parents. Her mother and father had tried for many years to have a child, and when she was finally born, Niarman was named after her paternal grandmother. Her name, in her father’s native language, means “Bringer of Hope.” While she was born during her parent’s exile on Vulcan during the Dominion War, she remembered little of her time on that planet. She remembered returning to Betazed as a small child, as the planet, and the capital city, was rebuilding after the war. Because of the rebuilding, her mother was extraordinarily busy - her healing skills were much in demand for both the physical, and mental, injuries suffered by many on the planet. Niarman, or, Nia, as she prefers to be called, often accompanied her mother to healing appointments both near and far from the family home.
It was because of this exposure to the healer’s arts that Niarman began taking a deep interest in becoming a healer herself. Both of her parents were supportive of this, even as she embraced more traditional forms of healing that sometimes did not include more holistic modalities. While Nia sometimes expressed guilt about this, her mother insisted that both allopathic and holistic modalities could be used in concert with each other. Her father taught her a variety of mental techniques that would help her in her training - various types of meditations from all over the known galaxy, as well as philosophical studies of the many peoples he had encountered over the years.
Growing up, Nia never truly felt like she fit in. Even though the evidence was abundant that she was well liked among her peers and family, Nia was more introverted than most of her fellow Betazoids. She prefers quiet evenings out with a few people, and while she was in school and in Starfleet Academy, she eschewed larger parties. If she attended at all, she would stop in, make the rounds, and then quietly depart. She never had any serious relationships, but dated both men and women casually. This sense of social anxiety is something that she has worked hard to overcome, and although as an adult, she has done better, she still feels she has a long way to go to fully feel like the anxiety is behind her.
- Below you'll see a table which contains images for rank pips - you can change the word 'Gold' for 'Red' or 'Teal' or one of the other colors listed earlier to match your duty post. More instructions about how to use the service record template can be found at Template:Service Record.
|Starfleet Service Record
Awards & Service Ribbons
- (We've gone ahead and filled in your first service ribbon: the Starfleet Academy Graduate Ribbon. As you complete missions and continue to serve with the fleet, you'll earn additional awards and service ribbons that you can post here, with the date you got them! For full instructions on how to add more awards and service ribbons, check out Template:Ribbons Display.)
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
- To end your bio, we're going to drop in some code here for your ship's crew template, which should appear at the bottom of your bio and will help members of the fleet easily browse other bios of your shipmates. Change the name of the ship below to whatever the name of your character's ship is, unless of course you've been assigned to the USS Gemini! Don't forget the letter suffix for your ship if yours has one (such as the USS Darwin-A).