|Position||Chief Science Officer|
Lieutenant Tomas Falt is currently serving as the Chief Science Officer of Denali Station
- Height: 1.75m
- Weight: 70kg
- Hair: Blonde
- Eyes: Blue
- Build: Athletic
- Handedness: Left-Handed
- Scars: These is a visible scar on his left thumb following an injury sustained on a test-flight with Captain Oddas.
- Tattoos: None. Although open to having one he's never found the right subject matter.
- Voice: Speaks with his native Scandinavian accent.
- Expression: Notable for a half-smile he uses in response to jokes and praise. Also known to raise an eyebrow.
- Conversation Style: Forthright. In most situations only speaks when he feels something needs to be said. Dislike's using colorful language.
- Punctuality: To avoid small talk he tries to arrive precisely on-time for everything, a habit picked up from his father.
- Humour: Uses humor to defuse situations, a skill learnt from his mother. Very rarely laughs himself, but laughs particularly loudly when he does.
- Habit's: Carries a boot knife wherever possible, primarily as a survival tool.
Sofia Falt (Mother): A highly-regarded Norwegian botanist and Professor at Oslo University. She still insists on calling Tomas by his childhood nickname, Lille Villkatt. He doesn't mind.
Erik Falt (Father): A Finnish project manager who has made a career specializing in the construction and refit of space stations. Uncommonly for someone in his profession he is a civilian, and has never been in Starfleet. This has given him the freedom to take on both federation and non-federation contracts. He has worked for many species across the Alpha and Beta quadrants and has a huge list of contacts.
Enni Kankkunen (Deceased): Tomas's best friend during early childhood, she tragically died during a school trip to New Berlin. Unbenounced to Tomas his memories were subsequently altered and he forgot about her until events during the mission The Pied Piper uncovered his memories once more. Tomas and his father are investigating and have determined Enni's parents disappeared shortly after her death.
Captain Oddas Aria: Since arriving on the Juneau Tomas has completed a number of missions with the Captain, and even joined her for the eventful test flight of her self-built racing shuttle Allahayer. Tomas looks up to the Captain and considers her a mentor, although he still cringes when recalling the moment he told her that during a mission debrief.
Tomas was born on Earth in the Helsinki city region of his father's native Finland. Tomas was an only child, a source of sadness for his parents. Just before his sixth birthday his mother, a renowned botanist, accepted a professorship at Oslo University. His father's work kept him away from home for large parts of Tomas' youth so he was raised by his mother on a day-to-day basis. As a result Tomas grew up in an academic environment, surrounded by his mothers research.
When his father was at home it was often for a couple of months at a time, and he would always take his young son camping in the woods for a few weeks. To escape the pressures of his father's career they took no technology with them on these camping trips, and lived as primitively as possible. On these early trips he taught his son bushcraft, survival skills and how to live off the land. His fatherly teaching inspired Tomas' lifelong passion for practicing these techniques and studying how historic cultures lived, survived and thrived without 24th century technology.
Given his upringing no one was surprise when Tomas began researching primitive methods of survival and bushcraft on his own. Each time his father returned they would excitedly head into the woods to put his research into practice. His mother joined them as often as she was able, helping the young Tomas understand which plants had nutritional or medicinal value.
Tomas continued to follow his childhood passion and enrolled at Oslo University to study the anthropology and archaeology of pre-warp cultures. For his final dissertation he undertook a "living archaeology" experiment for a year, where he recreated living as a 17th century explorer of Earth's North American continent. His documented experiences earned his thesis top marks and after graduating his professors encouraged him to continue his academic studies.
After a couple of months thought Tomas decided to take a break from University. He wanted to complete more living archaeology experiments, this time inspired by how other pre-warp races had survived on their own planets. He initially asked his father if any of his contacts had opportunities for him to get the off-world experience he needed to join one of the civilian science missions. His father suggest Starfleet, with it's mission of exploration, would likely be a better fit than his commerce focused contacts. Heeding his advice Tomas had originally intended to enlist in Starfleet and serve a single tour to get the required experience. It was his mother, in her gentle way, that persuaded Tomas to go to the academy. She pointed out that Tomas would get more opportunities to follow his passion in Starfleet that way, plus she didn’t think he'd be very happy scrubbing conduits and fixing replicators for four years.
Tomas entered the Academy on 239409.21 and graduated 239807.20. He chose courses that would expand on his existing interests and ultimately majored in science, spcialising in Anthropology and Archaeology, Botany, Zoology and Planetary Science (Full Transcript). Unsurprisingly he was the among the best in his class for his specialism’s but he struggled with other aspects, such as Astrophysics, which he barely passed. Tomas also took elective survival classes from the security program and surprised his instructors when he topped the class in land based survival, a testament to his childhood passion. At their encouragement, he took the additional modules needed to minor in security and round out his skill set.
Whilst not a classic Starfleet science graduate, the knowledge and skills Tomas developed at the Academy enhanced his previous expertise in "living archaeology." His combination of practical skills and knowledge make him an asset to any away team, and he is a resourceful and adaptable problem solver. He is comfortable "thinking outside the box" to come up with solutions to problems, especially when 24th century technology doesn't provide an answer.
In early 2399 Tomas submitted a research proposition to the Vulcan Science Academy, as part of an application to study for a part-time Masters Degree (whilst still serving in Starfleet). His proposal is to investigate the medium to long-term effects of the cultural contamination on Anadasa, now that the source of the Borg influence has been removed The Silent Monster. He is currently waiting on a response.
|Starfleet Service Record
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
Missions & Shore Leaves (Notable Sims)
- Return to the Ring (239806)
- Tomas arrives on the Juneau mid-mission as Captain Oddas and crew assist the Captain of the USS Grace Hopper, who has lost contact with a large number of his people in a previously unexplored biome on Ring 42. Tomas assisted his new crew as they established contact with the City and it's inhabitants, including the Grace Hopper's missing crew, and an ancient alien. Tomas was awarded the First Contact Ribbon along with the rest of the Juneau's crew.
- Arrival - Tomas arrives on board the USS Juneau (First SIM)
- First Contributions - Tomas immediately goes to work on the bridge (Second SIM)
- Contact... of sorts and Return to Sender - Tomas helps the crew make contact with the city below.
- Shore Leave (239808)
- Tomas used his first shore leave to explore the ship and meet more of the crew. He joined Captain Oddas on a test flight of her racing shuttle, the Allahayer, which didn't go according to plan. Tomas injured his hand following a collision with a Ferengi vessel but was still able to assist the Captain in brining the ship under control. From a personal perspective he took delivery of a mysterious package from his father, which turned out to be a family heirloom he was giving Tomas as a gift for graduating the academy.
- Special Delivery Part 1 and Special Deliver Part 2 - Tomas receives a mysterious package from home.
- I feel the need... and The need... for the unexpected - The Allahayer's test flight hits an unexpected problem.
- Rule 9 - Tomas sustains an injury as he helps get the Allahayer back under control.
- The Pied Piper (239809)
- After successfully concluding the peace process between the Caglan and the Zik, the Juneau sets course for nebula DE-678912 - dubbed the Dirty Elbow Nebulae by the locals - after receiving a distress call from an old Cardassian listening post, claiming Nausicaan pirates are targeting transport vessels in one of the most prominent trading routes in the Aavaro Wilds. On arrival the crew begin experiencing hallucinations. Tomas hallucinates that his childhood friend, a young girl called Enni, is on the ship with them. He subsequently discovers the hallucinations are being caused by micro rifts in subspace, linked to a Caglan artifact. Together with the rest of the crew he devises a way to close the rifts and stop the hallucinations, leaving the ship safe but Tomas unsure as to whether his memories of Enni were real or not. Awarded the Innovation Ribbon for his part in stopping the hallucinations, Tomas was promoted to Lieutenant JG during the awards ceremony that followed the mission.
- A flood of memories and I missed you- Tomas hallucinates the death of his childhood friend Enni.
- Distortions - Tomas discovers the cause of the hallucinations afflicting the ships crew.
- Dealing with someone else's Demons and A Royal Visit- Tomas and Commander Williams encounter a final hallucination before destroying the artifact creating them.
- Shore Leave (239810)
- Tomas goes on a camping trip to the Bajoran Jungle with his Father. Sitting around the campfire he learns that Enni was indeed real, and that his memories may have been surgically suppressed. Both men agreed to investigate further, as there may be a link between Tomas's memory loss and the sudden disappearance of Enni's parents after her death. The next day they joined Kendrick, Williams and T’Lea on an archaeological expedition deep in the jungle of Hendrikspool on Bajor. The groups search for a crashed Cardassian transport vessel some eighty years ago, at the beginning of the occupation, eventually leads to the discovery of a settlement of the survivors - all followers of the Oralian Way. T’Lea manages to convince their Bajoran protector, Vedek Re, to return to the civilized world to treat his medical condition.
- Welcome to the Jungle (Part 2 of 2) - Tomas and his Father go camping and discuss Enni.
- Some people are more stealthy than others and Too dark for the dinner table - Tomas and his Father meet up with T'Lea's expedition and encounter the Oralian's.
- One for the Road - Tomas lets go a bit during the awards ceremony.
- The Silent Monster (299811)
- As the Juneau is surveying the planet Anadasa, an M-class world inhabited by a pre-industrialized civilization, they detect a crashed Borg ship deep within the planet’s ocean. Tomas, along with Captain Oddas and Lieutenant Kendrick, beam down to a nearby city to investigate. During the mission the group rescue an Anadasan girl, against the prime directive and Tomas's wishes. During their subsequent pursuit Tomas allows himself to be captured so that the Captain and Kendrick can escape with the girl. In captivity he learns that the people of the city are worshipping the Borg Queen like a god. Tomas escapes and links back up with his crewmates. Together they witness the destruction of a dormant Borg Queen, who had fallen into the city after her ship crashed in the ocean. Captain Oddas ensures the girl is safe before the away team return to the Juneau.
- My First Away Mission - Tomas goes on his first away mission.
- Improvising a distraction - Tomas allows himself to be captured so the Captain and Kendrick can escape with the Anadasan girl.
- Bigger Problems During his capture Tomas discovers the Anadasan's are worshipping the Borg
- The Interrogator (Joint Post with John Kendrick) - Tomas is interrogated and escapes captivity.
- Shore Leave (239901)
Tomas and Ensign R'Kala join the crew of the USS Grace Hopper in setting up a small research station on Ring 42. As they work through the requisition orders they also counsel each other following difficult events in their lives. Back aboard the ship Tomas joins Dekas, Sera and Vihn in a vampire themed holodeck adventure, and has a huge amount of fun as Varg the Barbarian. Later, Tomas and the Captain have a frank exchange about their behaviour on the last mission.
- Varg is bored! - Tomas, as Varg the Barbarian, smashes some furniture in a tavern.
- Group Therapy Part 1 and Group Therapy Part 2 Tomas and Ensign R'Kala share their troubles.
- Mission Debrief - Tomas has a frank mission debrief with Captain Oddas Aria.
- Shore Leave (239904)
Shore leave starts with a bang as Captain Oddas is promoted to the rank of Fleet Captain during a special award ceremony, which Tomas drinks far too much Aldebaran Whiskey at. Once recovered he, along with the rest of the Juneau's crew, begins the transition to Denali Station. As the newly appointed Chief Science Officer Tomas is involved with Commissioning the station's science labs, and is also called upon to help investigate when Ensign Sera encounters an unknown microscopic lifeform in the stations water supply.
- I'm going to miss this ship - A newly promoted, and somewhat inebriated, Chief Science Officer raises his glass to the lady in the room.
- A sudden sense of admin - Now sober, Tomas starts to come to terms with the obligations of his new position.
- Just when things seemed calm, Back to the ship, and Getting my science on - Tomas helps Ensign Sera and Doctor Indobri as they investigate a mysterious lifeform inhabiting the station's water supply.
Crew Roster - USS Juneau
|NPC Listing · Denali Station Crew Manifest · Crew History