Difference between revisions of "The Great Gas Dive (Constitution)"
|Line 95:||Line 95:|
|Linaran, goes by "Queen", Guide Team 2
|Linaran, goes by "Queen", Guide Team 2
|Line 132:||Line 127:|
|Gas Diver of Zeltin IV; City of Xatrac
|Gas Diver of Zeltin IV; City of Xatrac
Revision as of 16:02, 17 February 2020
|Officers taking part in the Mission|
|Jalana Rajel||Commanding Officer||Trade Talk Team|
|Sarah Mason||Mission Specialist||Trade Talk Team|
|Lystra||Tactical Officer||Trade Talk Team|
|Salzaar Valys||UFP Trade and Economic Outreach Bureau Representative||PNPC Edward Spears||Trade Talk Team|
|Alex Blair||First Officer||Team 1 Leader|
|Nalni||HCO Officer||Team 1|
|Atan T'Seva||Chief Tactical Officer||Team 1|
|Cade Foster||Medical Officer||Team 1|
|Ravenna Carter||Science Officer||Team 1|
|Yito Seja||Chief Security Officer||Team 2 Leader|
|Jacob Horne||Engineering Officer||Team 2|
|Gunnar||Engineering Officer||Team 2|
|Edward Spears||Chief Medical Officer||Team 2|
|Lazarus Davis||Assistant Chief Science Officer||Team 2|
|Ruvator Zadra||Governor of the City of Xatrac, Zeltion IV||Alex Blair||Zeltin|
|Qeene||Gas Diver of Zeltin IV, City of Xatrac||Jalana Rajel||Linaran, goes by "Queen", Guide Team 2|
|Andarys Ohain||Citizen, Former Linaran Minister of Science||Yito Seja||Linaran|
|Sye Vandra||Varah City Divers Guild Leader, Zeltion IV||Edward Spears||Zeltin, goes by "Quickfall"|
|Dav Jekko||Gas Diver of Zeltion IV; City of Xatrac||Edward Spears||Zeltin, goes by "Skyhook", Guide Team 1|
|Polt||Gas Diver of Zeltin IV; City of Xatrac||Jalana Rajel||Caitian|
|Doak||Gas Diver of Zeltin IV; City of Xatrac||Jacob Horne||Zeltin|
|Hyun||Pilot of Zeltin ship "Iro"||Jalana Rajel||Zeltin|
Earlier this morning I received a call from the Federation's Minister of Trade. For anyone less familiar with the civilian government, that's about as high as one can go before you hit the president. She's responsible for all economic and trade diplomacy that the Federation participates in. We have received an invitation to the planet Zeltion IV to participate in trade talks. I know, it doesn't sound incredibly stimulating on the surface, but this is a unique situation. Zeltion IV is the current home of the Zeltin people. They are humanoid, not native to the planet itself since, well, Zeltion IV is a gas giant. They live in large floating cities home to hundreds of thousands of their people, industry, and their respective administration. What makes them such a challenge is that, despite being warp-capable, their government is not unified. Normally this would strike them from the list of potential trade partners as trading with us could give a serious advantage to a single faction on their world. The last thing we want to do is be responsible for forging a hegemony that upsets the balance.
This is why we are prepared to offer something of a trial membership in our trade sphere. What we hope to gain from these talks is certainly worth it. Their world contains an incredibly rare, naturally occurring gas that cannot be synthesized or replicated. This gas appears to form at the lower regions of their atmosphere and is extracted plunging into hull-crushing depths to get it manually. Most of their economy is based on the extraction, purification, and trade of this gas. I'm no scientist or engineer, but it seems to react impressively in power generation systems, boosting output significantly for only a small quantity of gas injection. (From Mission Brief sim "Salzaar Valys - Get That Gas!")
- One of the half a dozen cities around Zeltion IV.
- Location of the Trade Talks.
- Lead by Governor Ruvata Zatra
- Description (Jacob): The city was small at first as it was at the edge of the viewable distance but as they got closer the city grew quite large. At first glance, it appeared to have an upscale polished area in the middle with more industrial looking areas surrounding and spreading outwards. The middle section seemed to be encased in something to protect those inside from the harsh atmosphere of the planet. The sky around the cities was bustling with all kinds of activity. On their current approach angle, you could see what looked to be part of a giant thruster extending below the city. Long metallic structures or tubes protruded down from the city into the depths of the planet.
- Description (MSNPC Hyun): As they approached the city he looked up at the floating 'island' that was held up with all kinds of makeshift technology. The center had been built first, they had all kinds of material at their disposal at that time. But then they had to expand, add areas made the city bigger and material had gotten sparse to that they built everything with a mismatched number of metals, woods, and whatever they could find. So the center looked sophisticated, while the outside looked more and more industrial and tinkered. That also meant that the official buildings like that of the governor were in the shiny district. It had been important from the get-go. They passed the floating city, one of around half a dozen around the planet - they could even see the fading outline of another in the far distance when they knew it was there - and descended further. They passed the elevator tubes and down here the atmosphere - literal and figuratively - changed.
- Description (Edward): The underside of the city had come into view. Stabilizers, lateral supports, industrial structures of unknown design, and stationkeeping thrusters all piled into a mashup of technology. The thrusters fired every so often, whether simply moving the city laterally, or helping keep it aloft it was hard to tell.
- Description (Queen): Outskirts Industrial Area, the Edge: They arrived at the Cart, and jumped into it the moment it took off to the lower layers. They were operated with wires and mechanical wrenches and cranks, to avoid reactions with the gas. The whole system had been changed when the energy output of the shuttle transports had caused issues almost leading to multiple deaths. Their tech was not top-notch, so nobody wanted to risk it. Qeene didn't know how other cities handled their transports, but Xaltrac had learned from that mistake.
- The Bellyside of the Floating City of Xatrac
- Visited by Team 1
- Guide: Dav "Skyhook" Jekko
- Description (Skyhook): Fierce crosswinds and toxic gas blasted against the heavily adorned pressure suit of a Zeltin as he hurtled through the air between platforms connected with nothing but a length of high-tensile cable and faith in the anchoring towers on either side of the 300m wide chasm. A break in the cable or a particularly strong gust and the diver would be ripped from the rig and thrown down into the void below. Lightning flickered between some of the deeper cloud layers, the heavier gasses colliding and causing sheet lightning effects. [...] The lower levels of Xaltrac were more like a series of distinct operational platforms held together through all manner of makeshift structures. Most did not connect with one another, sharing only a connection to the primary core. But getting from one platform to another via the primary core usually wasn't the fastest route. For those with a stomach for it, you could use the zip line system. The overwhelming sounds of industrial processes would have unsettled a newcomer to this level of the city, but it was like music to a veteran. He danced between hydraulic loaders, ram air couplings, and sweating laborers who couldn't even spare a glance at the man weaving through their flow. Finally, after a short ride even lower in a small cage-elevator, Skyhook walked out into an expansive hanger bay/cargo receiving area.
Below Xaltrac, Gas Hauler Furious Zeta Spiral
- Further down in the atmosphere of the planet
- Visited by Team 2
- Guide: Qeene 'Queen'
- Description (Hyun): The vessels were put together just as well as his own, They flew, they did their job, but they had to use the materials they had available which made them not a uniform looking bunch of vessels. The balloon carried vessels almost were like platforms, harbors for the diving ships. And further down more constructs were visible.
- Description (Jacob): The landing pad itself was on the industrial side way below the floating city and the view did not disappoint. The floors were metal grates. Light coming through the spaces of the grates illuminated the landing pad. A few lights were hung along the perimeter but the space was still on the dark side. The space looked like it had been cobbled together over the years. Very industrial. There was a heavy metal door some 20 meters away that hissed open, venting some kind of gas into the atmosphere as it opened.
- Description (Queen): After she went back from the Landing pad through the pressure chamber she stepped out into the harbor area. The bustle of the gas divers greeted her. She steamy hissing of the opening doors their battle cry. With the rest, they left the cart and headed along the gangways to their stops. Each of them in front of a small craft hanging from a strong wire, fixed with a hook on top and more wires to the sides to keep them kind of steady and bring it back. But despite all that it still swayed in the winds. Each docking station had a helper, who first made sure the suit and helmet were properly adjusted, air tight and safe - as much as safe could be in that environment. The vessel was tiny, enough room for one person in the cockpit if they didn't move too much. What actually took up the room of the built were the tanks and the contraption to collect the gas once down on the 'fray'.
- Rules: Rule Number One: Don't touch anything. Rule Number Two: Don't inhale the gas. Rule Number Three: Don't get too close to the Razaar.
Species of Zeltins
- Not native to Zeltion IV
- Four nostrils & gills: The genetic modifications had been made to all of their species when they had settled in the upper reaches of Zeltion IV after one too many exposure incidents had claimed precious lives.