This page represents Alleran Tan's friends and relationships, past and present.
Tan is a social animal and loves to talk. Although he can come across as a little silly or immature, Tan has found many friendships amongst his comrades.
- Thelev, Jhen - Commander Thelev is Tan's hero, sans cape. A fellow pilot and helmsman, Thelev was Tan's first Commanding Officer and the impression the stoic Andorian left on the Trill man is long lasting. Tan was extremely saddened upon hearing of Commander Thelev's transfer, although he holds out firm hope that one day the Andorian will return. Upon taking a leave of absence on Stardate 238710.19, Tan expressed extreme regret that Jhen would be disappointed in his behaviour.
- Zhou, Tenzin - Upon arriving at the USS Independence-A, Zhou was Tan's first choice for alternate host if something happened to him. Despite a rocky beginning, Tan and Zhou forged a fast friendship which Tan admitted in a private message to Zhou was worth a great deal to him.
- Shan, Darren - Despite the Longbow Incident, Tan finds Shan to be an outstanding officer and an inspirational family man. Tan once told him that he was extremely proud to serve alongside him.
- Avandar, S'Peek - Tan trusted Avandar to be the host for his Zhian'tara, even against the advice of the Symbiosis Committee who felt that Avandar's telepathy might cause... unexpected side-effects. These have so far presented themselves as Marlee's voice chatting away inside Avandar's head, plus one minor instance of Tan's thoughts bleeding into Avandar's.
- Townson, Tracey - Tan finds Tracey to be an incredibly competent officer who has the intestinal fortitude to tell her superiors the truth without sugar-coating it. Tan wouldn't call himself a very close friend of Tracey's, but he certainly respects her a great deal. When Tracey was promoted to a full Lieutenant, Tan figured she wasn't that far away from her own ship.
- Whale, David - Tan and Whale never really spoke, until Tan punched a bulkhead right in front of him. Dealing with the fallout of his failed relationship with Captain Sidney Riley just as Whale was dealing with avoiding his feelings for Doctor Fiona Shelley, Tan and Whale struck up an fast friendship... both within days of transferring off the Independence to different postings (Whale to the USS Constitution-B, Tan to the Vaadwaur planet). Not getting to know Whale better is one of the great disappointments of Tan's life, and he made an effort to call Whale via subspace while he was on Devinon.
- Marari - Marari and Alleran spoke at length on Devinon V. Initially very reluctant to engage in dialog with someone who had wounded and killed so many Starfleet personnel including Crewman Thomas, Danilo Pitik and T'tala... Marari revealed himself to be an honourable man driven to desperation by his circumstances. Given their wildly different opinions on Sidney Riley, it remains to be seen if this friendship will last.
- sh'Shar, Mikali - The fiery Andorian shen serves as Alleran's pilot and friend. Having mellowed slightly since (mostly) giving up the sauce, Mikali and Alleran have found themselves enjoying a playfully antagonistic friendship.
- Brice, Karynn - The enigmatic Haliian woman is an interesting puzzle for Alleran and how he views her is a complex mix of nuances which, all summed together, equal a very pleasant mix of comradeship and friendship. He respects her command ability, he admires her down-to-earth pragmatism (something he picked up from a Reaver attack where Belleau was threatened) and seeks to emulate her courage; Karynn is not a warrior, but her inadequacy in combat has never dented her courage. Alleran cites notable examples of the Reavers and in Operation Bright Star. Further, using her counselor's training Karynn has helped him many times with his personal and emotional issues; Alleran feels he owes her a significant debt. He attended her wedding and gave her adopted son Matthew a train set as a present.
- Velana - A brand new Ensign aboard the USS Independence-A, Alleran took an immediate liking to the blue-eyed Vulcan and offered to give her a tour of the ship. She was unlike any Vulcan he'd met and she, in many ways, reminded him of Karynn; the Trill feels as though there exists the potential for a strong friendship with the smiling Vulcan.
- Zinna - After Alleran and Zinna were injured together, they struck up a conversation in sickbay which turned into an impromptu counseling session for the pair of them. Alleran liked her immediately and figured they would fast become friends.
Tan has a thing for powerful, strong women. He tends to wear his heart on his sleeve and has been known to fall victim to silly crushes. He is currently single.
- Avandar, S'Peek - When Tan's first host Marlee was placed into Avandar's head she took an immediate, quite sexual liking to the Vulcan/Betazoid. Although not feelings the whole combined Alleran Tan feels, Marlee's emotions were mixed back into the full, joined self when the former host's personality was transplanted back into its rightful owner. Tan finds the whole situation highly amusing.
- Somers, Alexandria - Tan took an immediate, physical attraction to her soon after meeting her. Initially he thought that she was interested in him as well, but it seems Somers's heart belongs to someone else. Tan took it reasonably well, although his continued advances caused her to embarrass him in front of a good chunk of the Independence-A's senior staff during their very first meeting. Furious, Tan promised her "... don't worry, *ma'am*, it >won't< happen again."
- Turner, Toni - Commander Toni Turner and Commander Tallis Rhul visited Tan to check on the state of the Vaadwaur planet. Tan, feeling very lonely and isolated by the Vaadwaur who never really accepted him and the Marines who felt his behaviour was treasonous, exhibited behaviour Commander Tallis described as "overly friendly" towards Turner and noted he "was practically staring". In a private moment of reflection, Tan admitted to himself that although Toni was extremely attractive, Tan was interested in compatibility of spirit more than any physical attraction. Despite her kindness to him, Tan didn't feel a spark with Turner.
- sh'Shar, Mikali - Although the two are just friends, during her visit to Devenon IV Alleran made a drunken, but well received, pass at her. Both of them have chalked this up to a mixture of booze and loneliness and know their personalities are very incompatible for any form of long-term relationship.
- Velana - In a quiet moment with Zinna, Alleran admitted rebounding onto Velana after Sidney ended their relationship for good. She called it a 'silly crush' and Alleran agreed, but this wouldn't be the first time he's done something like that. So far, she's shown no sign of returning the affection and may not even be aware of it. Although Velana saved his life, Alleran's inability to return to the Independence-A means this relationship cannot progress.
Tan's romance with Sidney Riley is one for the romanticists, the dreamers, the story writers... and the tragics.
Tan and Riley hit it off immediately, and within days of meeting each other had arranged a date and spent a fair amount of time together. Tan and Riley went on one-and-a-bit dates, kissed several times, Riley called herself 'his girl'... but after she was injured in Operation Bright Star, Tan threw himself into helping her recover.
But nothing could wake Sidney from her slump. It took the surprise, somewhat-frightening visit of an old friend of Sidney's, along with a powerful kiss from that friend, to make her remember who she was. Hours later, Sidney broke it off with Tan, citing his protectiveness and several possessive comments had made to the crew... but stressed to him that she wanted to remain his friend. Devastated, Tan could not cope with the rejection and his mounting personal issues and sought a leave of absence.
He later came to realise that Sidney was a symptom and not a problem; that while he feels that she was cruel and flippant with his feelings, the majority of the fault lies with him and his issues. Tan was happy that Riley had found someone who could truely love her, care for her as he did...
... but sometimes Fate can surprise you. Riley called Tan while he was on the planet, checking up on him. In a conversation that went for hours the two slowly became to realise that there was room in their hearts for second chances. Tan rushed back to Deep Space 17 as the USS Independence-A left Wheeler colony, with the two of them invited to Karynn Ehlanii's wedding.
They spent a night in Tan's temporary apartment. Within months Sidney was pregnant with their daughter. And everything seemed to be going so well...
... but Alleran's lack of foresight proved to be his undoing again, this time permanently. Little things began to get on Riley's nerves. Having overcome his possessiveness, Sidney found fault in him swinging too far the other way -- into perceived apathy. Once again she was injured, culminating in the loss of their child, and once again Sidney realized that Alleran was not right for her. Enraged by his perceived lack of compassion, Riley threw his possessions out into the hallway and sent him away.
When Alleran was injured, Riley personally denied his application to return to the Independence, and they are no longer on speaking terms.
"Betrayal can only happen if you love." -- John le Carre