Previous Ships Called Steadfast
Canterbury Association vessel (534 tons, Captain Thomas Spencer)
- 9th Nov 1848 - from London to Sydney - passengers to be landed at Plymouth due to outbreak of Scarlet Fever
- 25th Nov 1849 to 20th Mar 1849 - from Plymouth to Sydney - arrived but had to be quarrantined due to more cases of illness, such as typhus, scarlatina and measles.
- from London for Canterbury on 27 February 1851 and arrived Lyttelton, New Zealand 8 June, 1851. (see link)
- from London 19th July 1852/ Plymouth 26th July 1852, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 15th November 1852
- 18th ship from England to South Austrailia with about 300 Government emigrants for 1852
The Exmouth had a companion ship, a brigantine called the Steadfast, used for cruising and to provide the boys with practical training in seamanship. The original Steadfast condemned in 1894 and replaced by a new vessel of the same name.
City of Baltimore
- Built by Union Iron Works, San Francisco (8,424 tons)
- Completed in 1918 as the single-screw, steel-hulled freighter Steadfast for the United States Shipping Board
- 1931 acquired by the Baltimore Mail Steamship Co. and reconstructed and lengthened renamed City of Baltimore
- 1938 sold to Panama-Pacific Line not renamed
- 1940 acquired by US Navy renamed Heywood and used as a troop transportship
- 1946 in Reserve Fleet
- 1957 scrapped
HMS Steadfast (J 375)
Auk Class Minesweeper/Catherine Class British Minesweeper: Laid down 8 June 1942 as BAM-31 by the Gulf Shipbuilding Co., Chickasaw, AL; Launched 17 January 1943; Completed and transferred to Great Britain as HMS Steadfast (J 375), 29 September 1943; Returned to U.S. custody 24 December 1946; Transferred to Turkey as Eregli in 1947; Struck from the Naval Register in 1973. Fate unknown.
Specifications: Displacement 890 t.; Length 221' 3"; Beam 32'; Draft 10' 9"; Speed 18 kts; Complement 105; Armament one single 3"/50 gun mount, two twin 40mm gun mounts, two single 20mm gun mounts, two dcpth charge tracks, five depth charge projectiles; Propulsion two diesels, two shafts.
USCGC STEADFAST (WMEC 623)
The United States Coast Guard Cutter STEADFAST (WMEC 623) had proudly served the people of the United States for over 30 years. Commissioned in 1968, STEADFAST was home ported in St. Petersburg, Florida for her first 24 years of service. In 1992, she was decommissioned for Major Maintenance Availability (MMA) to extend her service another 25 years. Following MMA in February 1994, STEADFAST was re-commissioned and home ported in Astoria, Oregon.
STEADFAST had an illustrious record. Since commissioning in 1968, STEADFAST had completed over 330 Search and Rescue cases, interdicted over 1.6 million pounds of marijuana and 27,700 pounds of cocaine, seized over 65 vessels, and stopped over 3500 undocumented migrants on the high seas from entering the United States. STEADFAST was the first, and one of only two cutters awarded the gold marijuana leaf, symbolizing one million pounds of marijuana seized. Legend holds STEADFAST was named "El Tiburon Blanco" (Spanish for "The White Shark") by Colombian drug smugglers in the 1970's for being such a nemesis to their illegal drug operations. The crew used the symbol of "El Tiburon Blanco" as one of their logos to epitomize STEADFAST's aggressive law enforcement posture.
STEADFAST was also under the OPCON and ADCON of COMPACAREA. As a Coast Guard resource, they were deployed anywhere along the western seaboard of North and Central America. Their primary operational areas were divided into three regions - D11, D13 and JIAFTW. During D13 patrols, they operated off the Oregon and Washington coast out to usually no more than 200 nautical miles. Their main emphasis while on D13 patrols was enforcing living marine resource laws and regulations (fisheries). D11 patrols focused on detecting and interdicting drug and migrant smuggling activity along the Southern California coast and the Northern to Central West Coast of Mexico. JIATFW patrols were strictly counter-drug operations along the West Coast of Central and Southern Mexico and Central America. Another region they were called upon to assist was D17 for Alaska fisheries enforcement.
On December 19, 2005 pirates attacked the Steadfast (a chemical tanker out of the Dominican Republic) loaded with a cargo of 16,585 mts of vegetable oil at the Indonesian port of Palembang bound for China. The vessel was headed towards Vietnam or Kampuchea after the attack. The vessel turned back towards Indonesia and the pirates finally left the vessel on 24 December 2005 in Indonesian waters. The 25 crew, cargo and vessel were released safe.
The Galaxy-class USS Steadfast was based out of Starbase 118 under the command of Christopher Hutton. After the loss of her saucer section during a battle, the crew were reassigned to the USS Morningstar. Eventually, Fleet Captain Hutton would return to the newly rebuilt Galaxy-class refit USS Steadfast-A.