- 1 Stats
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Manner
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Personal History
- 6 Professional Details
- Full Name: Luran Sorani
- Race: Al-Leyan
- Date of Birth: 235208.28
- Place of Birth: Leya-I
- Age: 45
- Gender: Female
- Telepathic status: 0 Telepathic/Empathic Scale
- Height: 5'7"
- Hair: Black,medium length. Often tied up into different styles.
- Eye Color: Dark Brown
- Skin Tone: Slightly Pale
- Birthmarks, Scars: None
- Build: Slim
- Face: Al-Leyans have long lifespans so she looks a lot younger (in her 20's) than she is.
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): She loves flattering feminine dresses and the latest fashions.
- Handedness: Right
- Quarters: Generally kept with reduced lighting and environmental controls adjusted to provide a more comfortable environment.
- Favorite Room: The kitchen, which looks more like a lab than traditional kitchen due to all the specialised equipment for molecular gastronomy.
- Habits: Double checking everything and telling people things they already know.
- Mannerisms: Playing with her shirt collar or touching her chin with a finger whilst idle or thinking.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Follows the laws and customs of The Fallen Branch.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Molecular gastronomy
- Likes: Fashion
- Dislikes: Being rushed or pushed for deadlines.
- Ambitions and Goals: To become the premiere scientist in her field.
- Achievements in Life: Graduating with a degree in forensic science.
- Disappointments in Life: Having shame brought upon the family when her brother ran away.
- Temperment: Calm, friendly and generally cheerful.
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias): Clowns and practical jokes.
- Physical Limitations: Poor sense of taste and smell. Reduced visual acuity in daytime/brighter conditions.
- Marital Status: Single
- Children: None
- Haemachuo Upbringing
- Carers:: Delyahi Ara, Nevik Pertelian, Oyo Kitarri, Yessah Verdilan, Inharrhi Oyovomonott
- Mentors:: Hei Anhri, Lelyewin Sanderixis
- Siblings:: Xelyis Dinendo, Jarlsott Kaperberg, Liti Feryenwin
- Biological Parents
- Father: Ferdinti Fantwin
- Mother: Alyos Seriso
- Blood Siblings: Hettor Ganfren (mother)
Sorani is settling in and getting to know the crew of the USS Avandar but already she is fond of Jack, Alleran and Nearian. She was re-united with an old friend S'Lone who seems to enjoy pushing her boundaries and trying to expand her way of thinking.
Sorani has not experienced any lasting romances. Her species only comes into season every few years and it generally lasts 4-8 days. Younger Al-Leyans are not as mature and have shorter seasons. They tend to mate with different partners and may not keep in touch with a mate after the season ends unless conception occurs. As they grow older and mature they have longer seasons and learn the value of companionship, many settle down with a mate and the companionship can last anywhere between a few years to the rest of their natural lives.
- 235208.28: Born and immediately taken into care by the Haemachuo Organisation.
- 236201.02: At the age of 10 she met her biological parents and blood sister for the first time.
- 2372 & 2373: Completed high school level education and begins her "fall" gaining work experience as a lab tech assistant for the Al-Leyan Governments Police Forensic Lab. She had very basic lab duties and learned how to clean and care for the equipment and gained a glimpse of how laboratories were operated. To progerss in her career as a scientist university level education is required so mid way through her fall year she applied to the Scientific Institute for a study permit.
- 2374: With her permit accepted Luran was granted a University place and began her studies.
- 2378: Graduated with a degree in forensic science with a strong emphasis on analytical and medical chemistry. Re-entered employment with the Police Forensic Lab as a forensic scientist.
- 2379: Had her first season which is not a great success, but this is normal for young Al-Leyans as it can take a few seasons for them to become fully mature.
- 2380: Had to help her family persuade her wayward brother that his attempts to enlist are mistaken.
- 2381: Luran had begun to build up a good reputation as one of the leading forensic scientists in her field. There was a murder aboard the Federation Science Station - Azure Station, which is based in the sector and Luran was asked to help investigate the case as a specialist. As she worked on the case and got to know about the Federation and the scientists working there she decided to enrol in the academy later in the year and complete the distance learning course. When not in study she worked on the station as a cadet, gaining valuable work experience.
- 2385: She graduated from the Academy with another degree in science, this time specialising in psychology. For her Cadet Cruise she was assigned to the USS Karbel-B, a training ship operating in the region, it was her first posting on a starship and gave her valuable experience about lifeaboard a StarFleet Vessel. She saw many planets and systems that she had never seen or heard of before.
- 2386: The Cadet Cruise finished and she was assigned back to the Azure Station as an ensign, to work as a science officer. This was in recognition of Al-Leyan rules and customs that requires young and impressionable citizens to remain close to home, until they are deemed mature enough to live By the Branch away from home. She performed very well in her role and achieved the rank of Lieutenant JG later in the year.
- 2387: Towards the end of the year she achieved the rank of Lieutenant and shortly afterwards was promoted to Assistant Chief Science Officer.
- 2388: Promoted to Chief Science Officer
- 238902.15: Promoted to Lieutenant Commander.
- 238906.02: Assigned to the USS Avandar as Chief Science Officer, her first starship assignment since her Cadet Cruise.
- 238910.29: Changed roles and reassigned to be a Mission Specialist on the USS Avandar
Strange New Soil
Lieutenent Commander Sorani was suddenly reassigned to the USS Avandar after the ship lost it's Chief Science Officer Lieutenant Commander Evanna Blackwood. Another ship was destined to go through the wormhole and take over a delicate situation so it was a race to catch the USS Halo and the trio of runabouts before they got there. Upon arrival at the USS Halo, Sorani was immediately tasked with helping the ship's Chief Medical Officer develop a cure for a degenerative disease infecting the colonists of a small planet. She was disapointed that she was unable to see the project to it's conclusion as she was sent on one of the runabouts to transfer to her new ship, the USS Avandar before the cure was finished.
Sorani recieved a mixed welcome from the crew who were still grieving for their former chief. The Klingon Marine CO, Captain Kagran, was the most hostile but it wasn't altogether surprising. The cold war between their people had been over for a number of years but it would take a lot longer for the hard feelings and hostility to heal. There were a number of people she looked forward to getting to know better such as Alleran Tan the operations officer who gave her a warm welcome and Nearian Ben'thal a science officer, also new to the ship. There was an unpleasant surprise, in the form of "Rik Fabre" a Ferengi hologram with his disco ball of doom, from an "old friend" tr'Khellian, the intelligence officer. Sorani is used to adhering to particular rules governing social behaviour and was left confused and upset by the incident, which brought tears to her eyes. Sorani later cornered tr'Khellian in the turbolift and told him exactly what she thought of his "welcome".
Dancing in the Void
Sorani and the team had their hands full studying a comet that contained an unidentified gas and the previoulsy unseen cosmozoans that it attracted. Sorani had Ensign Nearian Ben'thal go on the away team down to the comet to investigate what was some strange form of archives and tasked resident chemicals expert Ensign Dominic gray with studying the strange new gas. Meanwhile she worked with Dr Jen Malcolm and Cadet Gina Es-Aleh to study the new lifeforms.
At one point they thought one of the creatures might be injured and they worked hard to study and compare the beings physiology. Eventually it was concluded that the creature was simply an elder of it's species and possibly dying. There was some amusement to be had from what appeared to be a pup of the species as it appeared to play with the probe sent out to gain data. When the pup appeared to eat, or chew the probe the team began to worry about the wellbeing of the pup but they didn't have to worry long as another member of the pack appeared to signal to the pup, which then spat the probe out again.
It was a real treat for Sorani to be able to make new discoveries with her team and much of her previous work had been further study and advancement of much more everyday things. Her quick thinking and reactions were soon called into action when a situation broke out down in the hazardous materials lab. The unknown gas which Ensign Dominic gray and Ensign Chris Davies were studying breached several layes of high level containment meaning that Sorani had to make the difficult decision of purging the room of all it's air, effectively leaving two staff to suffocate. Sorani made the call however, forcing herself to think of the needs of the rest of the crew whilst Dr Jen Malcolm prepared sickbay to recieve the two patients. Fortunately Both Gray and Davies made it and recovered without any permanent damage.
The Klingon invasion brought mixed feelings for Sorani. Her people had been involved in a cold war with them for a long time and relations were still strained. Neither party had managed to gain the upper hand, so the Klingon invasion meant that her people came under a little less strain as the Klingon's tried their luck elsewhere. Sorani knew what it was like to be under constant pressure from the Klingons and sympathised with the Romulans. Having had a good friend who was part romulan she didn't have quite the same natural dislike and distrust for the species as many other humanoids seemed to. She felt that while much of the Romulan population was every bit as slippery, cunning and ruthless as they were reputed to be she also believed there were plenty of better people in the general population who just deserved better. Sorani knew with the Hobus star going supernova and the destruction of Romulus that the Romulans were already having it bad enough without the Klingon's capitalising on their misfortune. Sorani and indeed the rest of her people knew who they were rooting for. They wanted the Klingons to come out of this conflict wounded as it would help them stave off the Klingons for good, but not so wounded that the romulans would be able to take their place.
Sorani had been set to lead an away team for the first time. On Azure station there hadn't been much need for travel outide of the local systems that she was familiar with. This had the element of the unknown, and even though it was less than ideal circumstances tt was a great opportunity that she prized greatly. She wanted to show she had the ability to lead and make those quick decisions under pressure. However, when the ship came under fire and was rocked about by the blows, a freak accident incapacitated her. She was able to recover fully but by the time she was able to return to duty the entire mission had progressed without her. To add insult to injury, she was assigned a new role and initially feared it was punishment or a sign that the Captain had lost all faith in her ability to lead a department. After talking with her mentor and seeing the counsellor Rune Jolara she began to feel more comfortable with the move.
|StarFleet Career History
Performance Evaluations and Disciplinary Records
- None Yet
USS Avandar Missions
- June: Strange New Soil Notable Sims
- July-September: Dancing in the Void
- September-October: Klingon Invasion (Joint Blockbuster Mission with the USS Drake)
- November: Shore leave on Poseidon