Assistant Chief Engineer
Name: Roshanara Rahman
Roshanara Rahman is the assistant chief engineer aboard the USS Pioneer.
- Full Name: Roshanara Rahman
- Urdu: روشن آرا الرحمٰن
- Species: Kriosian
- Date of Birth: 235612.15
- Age: 32
- Place of Birth: Moselina IV
- Hometown: Lahore, Earth
- Gender: Female
- Daystrom Institute of Technology
- EngD, 2387
- Starfleet Academy, Beta Ursae Minor II
- MEng, 2380
- BSc, Engineering, 2378
- Commissioned: 2378
- Training Facility: Starfleet Academy, Beta Ursae Minor II, 2374-2378
|Starfleet Service Record
- Height: 161 cm (5'3")
- Weight: 56 kilos (123 lbs)
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Green
- Skin Tone: Brown
- Distinguishing Marks:
- Species-Specific: She displays the typical Kriosian spot pattern, which runs from her temples down to the back of her neck. This pattern looks similar and is often mistaken as that of the Trill; however, Kriosian spots are typically more subtle in their contrast to the overall skin tone and do not continue down the length of the body.
- Scars: Rahman has a set of scars on the left side of her face, across her cheekbone, as well as scars on her left forearm. She received them in 2383 from a major accident that occurred aboard the USS Tempest.
Often assumed to be shy, Rahman actually enjoys meeting people, but prefers to wait until there is something meaning to say rather than engage in small talk. In addition to her technical prowess, she also is quite good at reading faces and working with others, which has helped her in her professional development and when she has had to lead project teams.
- Spouse: None
- Children: None
- Birth Parents: Unknown
- Adopted Father: Issam Rahman (born 2317)
- Adopted Mother: Najwa Rahman (born 2320)
- Siblings: None
Friends and Notable Colleagues
USS Tempest and USS Pioneer
- Faryul Nishal: A Bajoran nurse.
- Faryul treated Rahman after there was a major accident aboard the Tempest in 2383.
- Lidia Ivanova: A human security officer who later served as chief of security of the Pioneer.
- Rahman met Ivanova after the security officer came aboard the Pioneer. Despite their differences in personality, with Ivanova being more extroverted (and somewhat crass), the two discovered that their behaviors and attitudes complemented each other, and they became close friends.
- Charles Sampi: A human medical officer.
- Rahman knew of Dr. Sampi and was seen by him a few times, but beyond what Ivanova would tell her about him (and his crush on Ivanova at the time), the engineer and physician maintained only an amicable, professional relationship.
Early Life and Starfleet Career
Roshanara Rahman was born on SD 235612.15 on Moselina IV, a busy trade stop located near Krios Prime, the Kriosian homeworld. Her birth parents gave their newborn up for adoption. A human couple, Issam and Najwa Rahman, took in the child as their own (and only) daughter. The Rahmans were told that because the child would not receive the typical Kriosian diet in her adopted home, they were to give her daily medication to supplement her development (medication which she continues to take to this day). The new family returned to Earth, and Roshanara was raised in the city of Lahore.
Growing up, Roshanara knew she was different, but because Kriosians shared many physical similarities with humans, she did not feel ostracized on her adopted homeworld. As a child, she did tend to wear her hair in such a way as to cover her spots, yet even if they were noticed, most people often mistook the quiet but friendly young girl as a member of the more familiar Trill species.
Displaying the Knack
Rahman was a gifted student in her primary and secondary education. In particular, one of her teachers noted, she "displayed extreme intuition about all things mechanical." Although neither of her adopted parents were in Starfleet or had a family history in the service, Rahman chose to attend Starfleet Academy for the chance to work with the latest developments in starship engineering.
After completing her undergraduate education at the academy's Beta Ursae Minor II campus in 2378, she stayed for an additional two years to earn her master's degree in engineering. She then served on two vessels, the Shanghai and the Tempest, as an engineering officer.
Change of Plans
Aboard the Tempest, Rahman was severely injured in a major accident in 2383. Due to the extent of her injuries, she took a leave of absence from active starship duty. While still recovering, she completed the Daystrom Institute of Technology's doctoral program in engineering from 2383-2387 on a sponsorship from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers.
Upon earning her doctorate, she was assigned to the Pioneer as a research and development engineer in 2387. A year later she was promoted to lieutenant commander and assigned as the ship's assistant chief engineer.