|Position||CMO / Counselor|
Lieutenant Commander R'Ariel is currently serving as the Chief Medical officer and Counselor aboard the USS Arrow.
- Full Name: R'Ariel
- Gender: Female
- Race: Caitian/Deltan Hybrid
- Languages Spoken:
- Federation Standard (Fluent)
- Current Rank: Lieutenant Commander
- Height: 4' 2"
- Weight: Light as a Feather
- Hair Color: Black and Silver
- Hair style: Long flowing black hair, with natural silver tips (resembling extensions)
- Eye Color: Blue
- Distinguishing Marks: Very blue eyes (slightly larger than usual) on a face completely void of all hair.
- Build: Lithe
- Carriage/Gait: Naturally graceful, but often incorporating sudden hurried movements in almost skip-like nature to keep up with taller colleagues.
- Mannerisms: Often reflected in her tail movements. Her left ear twitches with increasing anxiousness or nervousness.
- Taste in Clothing (When off Duty): Bodycon
- Accent: Federation Standard
- Handedness: Left
- Temperament: Listener
R'Ariel is a playful and intuitive character. This can be seen in her approved choice of attire. Rarely seen in a 'standard' Starfleet uniform, R'Ariel prefers the more expressive and informal dresses made famous by a well known Betazoid-Human hybred Counselor.
Telepathy & Pheromones:
Her unique blending of Caitian and Deltan genes have given her complex abilities - including recently-discovered developing telepathy - and a strong chemical connection with the world involving the use of natural pheromones.
- Quarters: "Thoughtful, emotive, and very very clean."
- Quotes: "This is a safe place"
- Habits: Often finding ways of overcoming height disadvantages, such as sitting on her desk, instead of behind it, or standing on an improv-platform.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Varied, including rock climbing, spelunking, and fashion.
- Pets: One very small lemur/feline type creature found on Theta 122, named RA.
Likes & Dislikes:
- Long Baths
- Rock Climbing
- Spicy food
- Vegetarian Diet
- Callous Behavior
- Favourite Foods:
- Animal (Yes)
- Vegetable (No)
- Mineral (Sure)
- Favourite Drinks:
R'Ariel was born to Foeixache (a Deltan), and M'reina (a Caitian). The hybrid pregnancy was difficult and she was born premature along with four of her siblings. Unfortunately, out of the four siblings, R'Ariel was the only one to survive.
Slight of build, R'Ariel grew up looking for a place to fit in. Unlike all other Caitain's, she did not have hair/fur on her face, of course, she was half Deltan. Unlike all other Deltan's she was not exactly hairless either. She always felt too ugly or too short, and often both. Having received strong empathic abilities from her father - did not make growing up any easier. Even if people were polite to her furless-face, she knew how they felt. It was not comforting.
Through a former-starfleet counselor, who became like a second mother to her, R'Ariel developed her empathic abilities. She began to learn how to use her Empathic, Phermone, and Soothing Touch traits to help others. It was no big surprise that when it came time for R'Ariel to start considering her future, she thought of two things: Starfleet & Counseling.
- Father: Foeixache (Deltan)
- Mother: M'reina (Caitian - deceased)
- 4 Littermates (deceased)
- Spouse: None
- Children: None
Physiological & Medical Notations
- Born Premature: R'Ariel was the result of a hybrid pregnancy between a Deltan father and a Caitian mother. The Pregnancy was troubled from the start and the caring physicians were doubtful that any of the babies would survive to term. R'Ariel was born premature, small, fragile, in delicate health, and the only survivor of a litter of five.
- Heart Concerns: Cardiac concerns are not uncommon to Caitians or many species born premature, as she is both, she has to keep a watchful eye on her cardiac health. She has been lucky thus-far.
- Stimulant Sensitivities: R'Ariel has been careful about her exposure to stimulants, both the ingested and the inhaled, the latter part due largely to her hybrid Deltan/Caitian nature attuning and exaggerating her sense of smell. Alcohol and spicy food fitting inconveniently in both categories.
- Sensory-Overload: Not uncommon in empaths, R'Ariel has experienced various results to this condition, including a temporary blindness.
- Exuviation Resistant: Typically Caitians shed their fur once every year. Though the cause is uncertain, R'Ariel has yet to experience a true exuviation of her fur, probable cause is the enmeshment of Deltan genetics.
- Empathic / Telepathic: Like many Deltans, R'Ariel was born an empath registering high on the E4 scale. Recent experiences have revealed the development of telepathic abilities, this capacity most likely a result of her Deltan and somewhat obscure Kzinti bloodlines in her Caitain genetics.
- Subconscious DI: While not documented in her official Starfleet Medical file, it has been noted that R'Ariel has what might be referred to as Subconscious Dissociative Identity. This occurs when her sense of identity takes on a semi-subconscious struggle between her perceptions as being separately both a Deltan and a Caitian, rather than the reality of being a single hybrid. This can be compared to the cartoonish-cliche of having an angel and a demon arguing different perceptions on one's shoulder, in one's mind. This struggle is very real for her, and one that she keeps hidden from outsiders. In R'Ariel's case the typical identity conflict can be characterized as incorrectly seeing herself as both an ugly furless-face Caitian and an ugly furry Deltan.
Pre-Starfleet: Getting into Starfleet and the Counseling program proved to be a great challenge. She needed to get a medical endorsement, which was frustrating, as she had no desire to be a 'medical' officer. With her very slight build, and standing at barely over 4 feet tall, the thought that she could ever serve in such a life-saving role seemed ludicrous. Stature however was no obstacle to save the person on the inside. Step 1, get into a medical institute and pass the classes. Step 2 get endorsement from the institute and enroll in Starfleet Academy, and commence the Counselor program. To this effect, R'Ariel was admitted to the Cait Medical Institute. She struggled through every class, taking and re-taking exams. She was isolated from her classmates, who being full blooded Caitians found her hybrid appearance an easy target to mock. The school administration and instructors appeared to do little to alleviate the pressure, and whether it was her appearance or her transparent desire to not pursue a medical profession that motivated their inaction, either way, this made each class harder.
By the time she graduated from the medical institute, she was more than ever resolute to not pursue a medical career. She had what she came for, an endorsement to Starfleet Medical - Counselor's program.
Starfleet Academy: Starfleet Academy was a breath of fresh air. In Starfleet, her alien hybrid nature was welcomed with much greater support. Sure, her unusual appearance, and her slight size did create some not altogether pleasant experiences, but it was much much improved. After completing her aptitude testing, she was immediately accepted into the Counseling program, her empathic abilities, as latent as some of them appeared to be, helped pave the way into the program. Her apparent struggle with accepting the two alien parts of her, her Caitian and Deltan heritage, caused some concern in the program, but was deemed insufficient to cause any real concern for her career in Starfleet.
There was a great deal of medical courses she was required to take. Having had a rough time at the Cait Medical Institute, she dreaded each course. Her instructors however were very encouraging, and made several attempts to reinforce her belief in her medical abilities. By the time she had completed her Academy training, she had passed with flying colors the counseling program. With much greater effort she had managed to complete the core 6 courses in Xenobiology, and the Medical Systems and Equipment course in Engineering, wrapping it up with the standard Officer's First Aid Training. Before accepting her commission in Starfleet she opted-in to the minimum cardio courses, at the recommendation of her advisor, due to her Caitian physiology and its affinity towards heart issues.
Starfleet Career: One of the perks of being a successful Cadet in Starfleet, with high marks was the placement program. R'Ariel was thrilled to discover that she had several places she could pick from for her first assignment. One caught her eye, an up-and-coming Commander who was in the process of getting his first command, the USS Arrow. Everything she read about his record indicated that the wellbeing of those under his command was paramount to him. Finding the right Captain-Counselor chemistry was important, she had been told (many times). This captain, then a Commander, Randal Shayne appeared to be the perfect match, and the smaller vessel suited the smaller counselor very well.
She found a home on the USS Arrow as a newly minted Ensign R'Ariel. The senior staff were very talented, experienced, and supportive. Captain Shayne was everything she had hoped he would be, and she quickly settled into the role of ship's Counselor. Eventually earning the right to wear less-than-uniform attire in her role of Counselor.
Finding a stable place is very important for the well being of body and mind, especially when both must go through many changes. Her empathic abilities were tested and stretched on many incredible assignments. The hostiles they encountered, the casualties they endured, and the trials and tribulations of her crewmates tested her resolve and refined her abilities. The temporary loss of her eyesight and the strange symbiotic relationship she developed for that brief time with her seeing-eye pet, RA continued to bring out many of her empathic talents that she was unaware of. When her natural sight returned, so began a gradual process leading to both the use of empathic and early telepathic abilities. These findings and others she encountered throughout her career on the USS Arrow were to phenomenal not to take careful record of. She began building a thesis, which to her surprise, earned herself a Doctoral (thanks largely in part to an ally she didn't know she had at the Cait Medical Institute, who managed to get all of her medical classes to transfer over to Starfleet Academy).
Present Starfleet Career: Now a Lieutenant Commander, and having been promoted to fill the role of Chief Medical Officer of the USS Arrow, R'Ariel finds her biggest challenges ahead. She must sort through the challenges of her newly emerging telepathic abilities, and dealing with the reality that this little Caitian-Deltan is now a medical officer, and not just a medical officer, but the Chief. Such self-doubts were difficulty for her to accept as a Counselor, but now even more so difficult to overcome with her blemished-medical-resistant past. One thing remains constant, her devotion to and love for the crew of the USS Arrow. The big question that still remains to be satisfactorily answered, what does a casual-Counselor turned CMO wear?
|Starfleet Service Record
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
- Title of First SIM - (Stardate and brief description of what happens)
- Title of Second SIM - (Stardate and brief description of what happens)
|NPC Listing · USS Arrow Crew Manifest · Crew History