The Podcast Team is responsible for The PADDcast, an in-universe podcast that gets real-world, wide release. The release schedule for The PADDcast is monthly, so this is an active team in terms of specific deadlines and tasks, but individual tasks are typically small time commitments, typically no more than you'd spend on writing a solid sim.
Amateurs, newbies, and curious folk are all welcome! We'll gladly help you cultivate your skills.
- Facilitator: Lieutenant Lazarus Davis (Host of Laser Focused with Lazarus, composer, editor)
- Assistant Facilitator: Lieutenant Commander Geoffrey Teller (Host, Purveyor of fine advertisements)
- Editor: Senior Commander Nugra
- Contributors: none yet
- Guest Contributors: none yet
Team Role Explanations
- Facilitator: Responsible for the Podcast Team and has final say over the content of The PADDcast, like a Praetor
- Co-Facilitator: Responsible for the Podcast Team and assists in final day over podcast content, but more like a Viceroy
- Editor: Responsible to edit whole episodes; and when available, help contributors with editing segments
- Contributors: Expected to (co-)lead a team comprised of Contributors and Guest Contributors, and to take an active and substantial role in creating at least 4 segments each year. This is the cast of regulars that create the PADDcast content. To be a contributor, you do not need to be on mic (but you most certainly can.)
- Guest Contributors: similar to a Contributor, and will make content for the PADDcast. It is a junior role to the senior role of Contributors. By working with contributors, you'll learn how we do the PADDcast and gain the skills you need to become a full Contributor. (Technically not considered a team member for purposes of advancement in the fleet because Guest Contributors can participate as much or at little as they like.)
Joining Podcast Team
Membership to Podcast Team is by application. Applications enthusiastically open to all members of rank Ensign or higher. The application process is simple: contact the facilitator or co-facilitator via email or Discord and when asked, provide a sample of your work. Something small, and can be something you've made before. We want to see/hear/read what you're capable of. (And don't worry, we'll provide you with constructive feedback and resources to help you improve if you don't make the cut!) If you don't have a sample of your work, we can help you make one!
We recognize this is somewhat uncommon among the teams but because of the public nature of the podcast, we want to make sure Starbase 118 sounds as good as it is to write!
Each episode will be organized around a theme to create some connective tissue between segments. These connections can be vague and implicit from segment to segment. An example of a theme could be "friendship," "nostalgia," "Romulans," etc. Pretty much anything goes.
Below is the template we'll follow with episodes. You can see we have some standard segments, such as "Laser focused with Lazarus." We encourage others to consider developing recurring segments.
|Jingle / Intro||1 min|
|Headlines from FNS||3 min|
|News Analysis||5 min|
|Guest Segment 1||5 min|
|Guest Segment 2||5 min|
|Laser Focused with Lazarus||5 min|
|OOC Segment (team spotlight, interview, etc)||5-10 min|
We intend to keep the content upbeat and, when applicable, humorous.
Example Production Schedule
This section is an example of how the team will function from the perspective of a contributor/ editor.
- March 1: March's episode is released. Facilitators send out an email with May's theme, and solicit pitches for segments for the episode.
- April 1st: May's segments submitted by this date to allow editors time to work.
- May 1st: May episode is released.
Of course, there's more to it than that. Every first of the month will be the release of that month's episode, deadline for submission of next month's segments, and assigning the theme for 2 months out. Hopefully emphasizing the first of the month will make it easier to plan ahead and schedule for the team, and produce fewer and more valuable emails.
Interested but little/no prior podcasting experience?
That is perfectly fine! You might not be the host of your own recurring segment right away, but we will work with you to help you build the skills you need to be polished podcaster. We have materials and guides to help you get started, and you might be surprised to learn how useful something as mundane as a smartphone can be for podcasting.
We recognize the volunteer work you are doing, and are determined to create value for you through skill building (and fun!) along the way.
|Edit this Nav||Leadership Roster|
|Teams||StarBase 118 Academy: Training Team|
|UFOP: SB118 Group Elements: Publicity Team · Newsies Team · Newsletter Team · Calendar Team · Wiki Administrators · Chat Team · Poll of the Week Team · The (Image) Collective · Department of Veterans Affairs · Podcasts Team · Federation News Service Team · Community History Team · Advanced Starship Design Bureau|
|Contests & Challenges: Halloween Avatar Contest · Writing Challenge|
|Retired: Timeline Project · The Reporter · SB118 Development Team · Species Development Team · Web Development Team · Graphics Contest · Top Sims Contest · Featured Bio Contest|
|Committees||Awards Committee · SOTFA Committee|
|Squadrons||Gaming Squadron · Wiki Operations · Writing Improvement Squadron · Memory Book|
|Guilds||Characters Guild · Readers Guild · Lambda Alliance · Species Guild|
|Fleet Councils||Executive Council · Captains Council|