|Birthplace||Córdoba, Argentina, Earth|
Ensign Maria Alvarez is currently serving as a Operations Officer aboard the USS Arrow.
- Full Name: Maria Nerea Alvarez
- Preferred Names: Maria, Vera
- Birthplace: Córdoba, Argentina, Earth
- Species: Human
- Height: 5' 10" (177.8 cm)
- Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
- Hair: Brown
- Eyes: Brown
- Skin: Caramel/Brown
- Build: Athletic and lean
- Carriage: Poised, graceful, balletic, sometimes sassy
- Style of Dress: On duty, she carves out her individuality with prettily done but barely-regulation hair and tasteful attention to her makeup. Off duty, she tends to dress with a sort of classy avant-garde minimalism that's trendy and attractive. She cleans up very well for bigger events, always striving to dress for success.
Maria was born the youngest of three children to a comparatively traditional family in Argentina. While comparatively isolated from a lot of technology and non-human culture, she was heavily immersed in a broad range of earth languages and customs early on, notably the cultures of several indigenous peoples from the region and the greater Americas. She demonstrated significant aptitude for music and especially dance from a young age. Her parents quickly pushed her into top schools from the area, eventually resigning to let her use a transporter to commute to Buenos Aires for lessons. The family moved to Paris in 2380, nominally for opportunities for the whole family, but in no small part to offer even more opportunities to Maria's training.
She attended the prestigious Tisch School for the Arts in New York for a degree in music majoring in dance, where by all accounts she excelled with a combination of exceptionally hard work and natural intellect. Her master's degree marked a significant shift away from her focus on human-based cultures, at least formally, with a specialism in xeno-musicology. Records indicate special proficiency picking up languages and instruments, at least conversationally. After graduation, she joined a dance group specializing in experimental combinations and synthesis of various styles. Despite strong reviews - one critic calling the group 'an explosive tour-de-force of physical dynamism' - the group disbanded after just over a year lacking popular reception and experiencing creative disagreements. After this, she spent several months living with her Sister and Brother in law in Córdoba, and traveling throughout South America.
No records exist on why Maria joined Starfleet in a sudden change of career. Admissions advisors were skeptical about admitting her given this in addition to her psychological profile, but were ultimately swayed by a recommendation from her Brother in Law, who serves as a Lieutenant in Starfleet. Given her educational background, she was granted several credits accelerating her timetable for graduation. Her academy record is exceptionally average, remarkable only for a considerable number of derogatory remarks surrounding her behavior and conduct; though none seemingly serious enough to merit real attention. Several instructor remarks cite high potential, but a stubborn unwillingness to apply herself. She largely avoided any cultural or artistic types of classes at the academy, and rejected offers to join extracurriculars that would have made sense with her musical past. She was known to associate with multiple groups of high-performing cadets, developing a handful of loyal friendships and equally many confrontational relationships.
Characterizations of Maria range a variety of often contradictory adjectives: confident, self-possessed, out-going, individualistic, private, warm, overbearing, humorous, irreverent, bold, unruly, flirtatious, moody, physical, chaotic, intelligent, unambitious, unmotivated, and many others. The way she presents herself to others frequently varies with mood and her estimation of the individual she's interacting with. She's extraordinarily loyal to her friends, building them up and pushing them, but also a cunning enemy, willing to use unconventional and effective approaches. Her application to the academy raised a lot of eyebrows during the psychoanalytic phase, with an unwillingness to discuss in detail her motivations for joining Starfleet almost stopping her acceptance.
She's a remarkably quick learner when focused, but a terrible student given to frequent distraction and bouts of procrastination. Her background in dance demonstrates a particular combination of abilities: teamwork, creativity, intense organization, immaculate planning, and ability to still change direction and improvise with little notice. On the flip side, when unmotivated or disinterested she can be chaotic, scattered, and challenging to work with. She hasn't proven any special ability in engineering or sciences, but seems to have a liking for research, law, requisitions, communications, and history.
Maria's self-assurance and sense of humor lead the show with most of her interactions. She has a distinct distaste for formality, preferring an irreverent and straightforward approach to her work, to the chagrin of senior officers everywhere. There's rarely very little doubt about what Maria is feeling, and she can be highly expressive. She forms opinions of others quickly, but seems to be always open to being surprised by people, for good or ill.
- Laughing, humor
- Anything bizarre or complex or new
- All vast array of music
- Particularly avant-garde art and music; she loves being challenged by something aesthetically
- Children, especially babies
- Rigid people
- Rank-climbers, and the duty-obsessed
- Being told how to be or act
- Jefferies Tubes
- Loss of mental faculty, loss of self
- Becoming bland or unremarkable
- Raphael and Emilia Alvarez
Maria has said little about her parents, but what she has said makes it clear they don't speak any more. Maria is fairly certain they don't even know what ship she's posted to. Even before things turned bitter, it's apparent it was a fraught and complicated relationship, particularly with her mother.
- Diego Alvarez (Brother, 32)
The quiet, unassuming kid of the bunch, he and Maria haven't always been particularly close, but never really fought either. He's been supportive of her joining Starfleet, and has actually been closer to Maria since. He is the most regular penpal of the family, but still lives in Argentina, working on a ranch with their uncle.
- Camila Alvarez Ledesma (Sister, 35)
The oldest child, now married to Lieutenant Paulo Ledesma. The two were quite close growing up, but lost touch when Maria moved to Paris with their parents and Camila stayed behind. The two reconnected after Maria left her dance troupe, and before she went to Starfleet Academy. Maria frequently calls her big sister "Cami".
- Lieutenant Paulo Ledesma (Brother-in-law, 37)
Maria probably wouldn't be in Starfleet if not for the recommendation of her brother-in-law, who has been a major supporter of her commission.
- Randal Shayne: Maria's captain on the Arrow. It was pretty clear almost immediately the two wouldn't see eye-to-eye, with Maria's off-the-wall sense of humor and dangerously clever individuality no doubt shortening the captain's life expectancy. Maria views her captain as something of a rigid, emotionally closed-off authoritarian to be avoided or outwitted. Still, she harbors a sneaking respect for his abilities.
- Chloe Waters: Maria's roommate on the Arrow. Maria doesn't overly mind her roommate, though it would be hard to find a more different pair of human women. Her boisterousness and humor put Chloe in an awkward spot more often than not, but never from malicious intent. Maria doesn't really understand or have much patience for Chloe's closeted, dry, and shy personality, but it doesn't bug her much either.
- Regan Wilde: Flashy and outgoing pretty-boy, the two are definitely destined for either an unbreakable friendship or a showy rivalry. It's too soon to tell.
- A Scouring of Stars (Arrow) 239710.27 - 239711.30: Maria arrives aboard the USS Arrow after an incredibly long, sleepless shuttle flight made unbearable by a faulty inertial damper she was unable to repair. Out of the loop, and terribly loopy, she makes her first introduction to the captain and crew during a conference between the major powers orbiting Theta 122. She's immediately pressed into service when some of the away team lose communications due to a dampening field on the surface. With the help of Crewman Patrick, Chloe Waters, and Hayley Caden in Shuttlecraft 1, she targeted and destroyed the dampening field with an orbital strike. The success is only temporary, and soon the life of the captain and other senior officers are under threat, trapped in the conference room with the bloodthirsty orion pirate queen, Ghant. Maria discovers that in the crew's haste to return to the conference, she wasn't granted command codes for the ship, and ends up locked out from the computer and unable to assist. She hatches an insane plan to use the security module from the shuttle she arrived on to hijack the Arrow and deploy anesthizine before boarding pirates can take control. With the help of Chief Brom, Eerie, Regan Wilde, and the engineering staff, the crew holds out against an all-out assault on main engineering long enough for her to complete the plan and deploy security screens (and become accidentally registered as Fleet Admiral in the process). Still the anesthizine is inoperative, and she discovers she must engage a manual bypass in the cargo bay. Once there, she is confronted with the escaped Ghant, who nearly roundly defeats Maria after calling her ability and motivation into question. Given a moment's reprieve by the heroic sacrifice of Lt. Wilde and intervention of Lt. Serinus, she pulls herself together and just in time before she's cut off from help yet again. She finally gains the upper hand and kills Ghant, and manages a hasty re-activation of the anesthizine before falling unconscious from her wounds and sleep deprivation.
- Fabulous First Impressions - Our introduction to a sleep-deprived Maria.
- Battle for Main Engineering - Maria Defends main engineering and is briefly promoted to Fleet Admiral (whoops!)
- "The Black Dance" ( Maria's sims only: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV) - Maria sees something of herself in her enemy when she faces off with a bloodthirsty pirate.
|Starfleet Service Record
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
|NPC Listing · USS Arrow Crew Manifest · Crew History