Captain Mal Avatar is the former commanding officer of StarBase 118 Operations and the Columbia. He had been a professor at Starfleet Academy for last several years under the alias Skaresh Thoralev following his counter-involvement in the Andorian Independence movement.
This character is played by Glenn User:Malavatar.
- 1 Stats
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personal History
- 4 Professional Chronology
- 5 Mission History
- 6 Starfleet History
- Full Name: Mal Avatar
- Race: Andorian
- Date of Birth: May 2, 2356
- Place of Birth: M'Gatta City, Andoria
- Age: 33
- Gender: Male
- Telepathic status: See Telepathic/Empathic Scale
- Previously thought to be N/A. However, Captain Avatar has recently learned that he is 1/4 Aenar and is only learning about his limited telepathic abilities.
- Height: 1.78 meters
- Weight: 77.1 kilograms
- Hair Color: White
- Length of Hair: Short
- Eye Color: Blue/Gray
- Skin Tone: Blue/White
- Birthmarks, Scars: None of note
- Tattoos/Body Modifications: None
- Build: Average build
- Handedness: Right-handed
- Marital Status: Married - D'nai Avatar
- Past Girlfriends:
- Cadet Kelinda Darr
- Major/Lt. Colonel M. Stryker
- Lieutenant Commander Jenelle Vaughan
- Daughter: Lejol Avatar
- Son: Wargav Avatar
- Father: Kran Belar Avatar - Political Activist and Former Federation Councillor
- Mother: Tel Varia Avatar - Botanist
- Brother: Seran Cadar Avatar- Galactic Comedian
Son of a Federation Councillor, Kran Belar Avatar and a botanist, Tel Varia Avatar. Kran served for many years at the capital of the UFP but after several disagreements with Federation policy regarding the handling of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor, the alliance with the Klingon Empire, and the entrance of several worlds into the Federation, he resigned his title and returned home. While on Andor, Kran began to discover the less political aspects of life, settled down, and married a young botanist named Tel Varia and had two children.
Mal was always the athlete of the family and the student, but it was his brother Seran who always told the jokes, painted the pictures, and had the most friends. It was at this point that Kran began to write about his views about Andor. His mother was promoted to the head of the M'Gatta Botanical Gardens.
As Mal continued his introverted lifestyle; his older brother began to tour the planet as a young comedian. Andor loved Seran Cadar and it would not be long before he'd be touring the Quadrant. Mal, still in the shadow of his brother felt that he needed to go off world and build himself elsewhere. Thus he applied to the Academy. Kran Belar's writings began to become more and more controversial. Shortly before Mal left for the Academy, Kran wrote his groundbreaking essay, "The Need For a Separate Andor." Kran's views on the secession from the Federation caused much trouble with his son and as a result strongly disapproved of his entrance into Star Fleet. A Homo sapiens only club declared his father.
After not speaking to his father since the day he left for the Academy, Mal continued to grow as a person. At this point, Mal began to play an old Canadian sport known as ice hockey. Although some of his fellow cadets teased him at first, since bugs and ice don't mix. Mal got the last laugh leading the Academy team with 23 goals as well as a Galactic Title. Avatar does not speak to his father anymore, but he is in constant contact with his brother, who has had mixed results with his comedy. Apparently not everyone "gets" Andorian humor. Tel Varia continues her love of plant-life on Andor and the galaxy. Unlike her husband, she always supported Mal's decision to enter Star Fleet.
Mal greatly underachieved his freshman and sophomore years at the Academy and was at one point in danger of failing out. He spent way too much time playing ice hockey and did not focus on his studies. It was not until his junior year that Mal began to concentrate on his studies. He began to love piloting starships as well as smaller vessels. This love of flight reinvigorated an old interest in learning and his grades soon showed this. Avatar continued to play hockey leading Star Fleet Academy to its first FCAA championship in 80 years. His final training was the Shabtai meeting under the leadership of Commander Medai Cyrce.
Mal's first posting out of Starfleet Academy was aboard the Dauntless Class USS Kodiak-A under the command of Fleet Captain Hollis Calley. He served as a reserve HCO and GS50 pilot. It was during this mission that Avatar first impressed Commader Jordan Hurne who would later select Avatar to be part of his crew aboard the USS Victory. Additionally aboard the USS Kodiak-A, Avatar would develop friendships with Heath Story and Nickolas Cicero.
To the outside universe, Commander Avatar spent the day of 238009.29 with the Ilyow people. However, in terms of the memories that he gained, Avatar actually spent seven years as an ambassador to the Ilyow, helping to establish first contact with that race.
- 237903.10: Ensign Mal Avatar was assigned as an HCO on board the USS Kodiak-A under the command of Fleet Captain Hollis.
- 237905.20: Promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade after completing the first mission to the Lithron System.
- 237905.24: Reassigned to the USS Victory as Chief Tactical Officer.
- 237908.03: Promoted to the rank of Lieutenant upon the completion of the second mission to the Lithron System.
- 237908.05: Reassigned as the Chief Engineer of the USS Victory to take the position vacated by Lt. Cicero.
- 237909.14: Received Scotty Cross and Neelix Award.
- 237910.12: Promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
- 237910.17: Reassigned as First Officer of the Victory following the mission to Atlanta V.
- 238007.02: Promoted to the rank of Commander.
- 238009.13: With the permission of Captain Hurne, Commander Avatar took a leave of absence from his position aboard the Victory.
- 238011.01: Commander Avatar returns to service aboard the Victory and is reinstated as a Starfleet officer.
- 238012.22: Receives second career Neelix Award.
- 238102.06: Receives the Strange Medallion.
- 238103.25: Takes command of USS Columbia.
- 238109.21: Promoted to Captain.
- 238203.09: Receives the James T. Kirk Cross
- 238203.09: Elected Magistrate of the Captain's Council for Starbase 118
- 238211.28: Named Captain-at-Large to the Executive Council for Starbase 118
- 238301.09: Receives the Sarek Star
- 238306.27: Take command of StarBase 118 Operations.
- 238310.19: Removed from command of StarBase 118 Operations and replaced on an interim basis by Captain Tiberius Hannibal.
- 2384.01.01: Begins serving at the Academy as a professor under the alias Thoralev.
Awards & Commendations
- Neelix Awards (2)
- Scotty Cross
- Strange Medallion
- James T. Kirk Cross
- Sarek Star
Missions on the USS Kodiak-A
Missions on the USS Victory
- Prelude: The Adventure begins (237905.24 - 237906.02)
- Mission 1: Encounter on Ferenginar (237906.03 - 237906.24)
- Mission 2: Return to the Lithron System (237906.26 - 237907.30)
- Mission 3: Attack on the Yithra Base (237908.14 - 237909.28)
- Mission 4: Time and Consequences (237910.08 - 237911.18)
- Mission 5: The True Ones (237911.24 - 238002.23)
- Mission 6: The Lost Colony (238004.02 - 238007.02)
- Mission 7: Cardassians (238008.01 - 238009.13)
- On Leave
- Mission 9: The Lycanthropes (238012.05 - 238103.18)
- Launches USS Columbia
- Mission11: Victory Time Two (238106.10 - 238108.16) (Mirror Universe Persona)
Missions on the USS Columbia
- Prelude: Launching of the Columbia
- Mission 1: The Hironian Expanse
- Mission 2: Cardassian Supply Ships
- Mission 3: First Contact with Valoria
- Mission 4: The Orion Syndicate
- Mission 5: Kaleb IV
- Mission 6: Columbia and Victory Battle the Kentic
- Mission 7: The Delorean Encounter
- Mission 8: Stranded on Ambrosia
Missions at Starbase 118 Ops