|USS Octavia E Butler
|Lhandon Joseph Nilsen
|Helm, Communications, and Operations Officer
- "He's a good kid, with a good heart, he just doesn't make the greatest of choices''
Lieutenant JG Lhandon Joseph Nilsen is a human serving as a helm, communications, and operations officer aboard the USS Octavia E Butler and previously serving on the USS Oumuamua. Born on February 4th, 2377, Nilsen is the third child of Harold Nilsen, Moganie Thompson, Nilsen was born on Gault, a small farming colony in federation space a few sectors away from Starbase 118, close to the Klingon/Federation boarder.
Nilsen has a keen interest in rugby, cooking and motorsport.Nilsen is known for his resourcefulness, innovative thinking, and commitment to peaceful conflict resolution. He is effective in communication and empathetic, quickly rushing to the aid of others; and often able to switch into "work mode" instantly in high-stress situations. He speaks with a soft-rising accent influenced by Siberian and Eastern European dialects.
However his career has been a troubled one, with instances of his temper leading to rash and reckless decisions leading him into trouble, and a number of cases where he gets in his own way.
In the Operations Department, Nilsen acts as an unoffical assistant & right hand man to the Chief of Operations, by virtue of his friendship with Toxin Arlill on the USS Oumuamua.
As of early 2401, Nilsen is experiencing a period of uncertainty about his future and is at a crossroads in his life.
Basic Profile Infomation
Nilsen stands at 6 feet 4 inches (1.93 meters) and weighs in at 266lbs/121kgs. He has a tight, lean and stacked build,which was devopled though his upbring as a farmer and a love of rugby. Nilsen has somewhat unkempt brown hair. His eyes are blue. He speaks with an accent that has elements of Federation Standard, but there's a touch of Siberian and Eastern European influence in it. It's described as a soft-rising accent with a bunch of unaccented vowels 
Traits & Personality
An overview of Nilsen's Postive Personality Traits:
- Resourceful: During a mission on Alpha Brenkelvi II Nilsen proposed using a probe as a relay to boost communication with the away teams, potentially overcoming the limitations of the combadges' range. In training Nilsen stabilized the USS Centris after it was attacked and assessed damages during a system malfunction. 
- Peaceful conflict resolution: He emphasizes the need to exhaust all communication options before resorting to force. He managed to form a temporary alliance with Private O'Reilly, setting aside personal differences for the sake of their home. 
- Sociable: In general, Nilsen aims to be a sociable person, who is easy to get along with. It is a source of pride that he has built up an extenstive network of contacts. Nilsen does enjoy some positive relationships with the majority of his crewmates, and has friends in every department.  He enjoys a close friendship with Toxin Arlill, his current roommate and the two after often seen together working on some kind of project. Nilsen is known for the boundless amount of energy he seems to possess.
An overview of Nilsen's Negative Personality Traits:
- Short Tempter: He has been known to "fly off the handle" at a moment's notice when a sensitive or triggering topic comes up.  However he working thought this with Counselor Nesre Salo 
- Unresolved issues: Nilsen is still haunted by a shuttlecraft incident during his time in Echo Squad a SARS training squad for cadets at Starfleet Academy. This used to lead to a habit of second-guessing his choices and to a lack of confidence in his own abilities. If Nilsen does make a mistake, he will immediately take steps to correct it, however, this can lead to a certain obsession over the mistake and a single-minded mindset to correct it.
- Change in attitude: After the Denali Invitational in mid-2400, those close to Nilsen noticed a shift in his attitude, he seemed to gain a degree of confidence but some would argue perhaps too much confidence. This has led to Nilsen becoming more reckless, disobedient, Impulsive and having difficulty controlling his temper, he became known as someone who can snap quickly from 0-100. After almost being kicked out of Starfleet and narrowly advising criminal charges he has come to the conclusion that he needs to do something about it. He has admitted to his best friend Toxin Arlill, that he felt that something was wrong with him and he didn't know who he was anymore
- Diving head first: Nilsen has been known to dive into projects and assignments without thinking it through. This also extends to choices in life: one notable example was during first contact with the ancient Bajorans of Alpha Brenkelvi II where Nilsen allowed them in their non-corporeal state to use his body to communicate with the away team while his consciousness was kept safe.
- Stubborn: Commodore V'Airu described this trait when she presented Nilsen with his second Legion of Merit award: "you also performed the admirable and unusual task of doing so successfully and, to my great relief, living to tell the tale, and for your convictions, your perseverance, and your downright bullheadedness" 
- 21st century references: When explaining details surrounding engines or shuttles, he may rely upon references to cars and automobiles from Earth from the late 20th century to the early 21st century. This is somewhat of a specialist topic for him however the references are often lost upon others.
- Lack of poker face: Lhandon has a poker face that can often give away what he is thinking or feeling. 
Key Skills and Competencies
Nilsen is a highly competent HCO Officer and finds success in all three area of the role.
|Helm, Navigation and Piloting
|Communications & Language
|Warp Field Geometry
|Shuttle & Small Craft
|Transport & Midsize Craft
|Luna/Sovereign Size Craft
- Being Developed: the individual demonstrates a minimal use of the competency and is currently developing it
- Basic: the individual demonstrates limited use of a competency and requires additional training to apply without assistance or frequent supervision
- Intermediate: the individual demonstrates a working or functional proficiency level which enables the competency to be exercised effectively (has working or functional command of the competency)
- Advanced: the individual demonstrates in depth proficiency level ; is able to assist, consult or lead others in the application of a competency
- Expert: the individual demonstrates broad, in-depth proficiency; is recognized as an authority or master performer in exercising the competency
((OOC: Credit to User:Erik Johnson for helping me to put this together and quantifiy Nilsen's skills)
Interests & Hobbies
Nilsen has been reminded to make sure he partakes in his interests & hobbies. The following are list of those activities that he finds the most enjoyable.
|Nilsen is a keen cook and will not resist any opportunity to cook for himself or his crewmates. He will aim if possible to not use the replicators.
|Lhandon found a passion for rugby after joining Starfleet Academy. His height and build made him well-suited for the game.
On stardate 239706.25, Nilsen collided with another player and suffered a broken nose. He laughed off this incident and continued playing. Only later seeking medical assistance when forced to by his teammates.
|Fitness & Combat Sports
|Nilsen has found that keeping up a fitness regime has helped to support his mental health and provided him with some joy. Nilsen perfers to work out alone.
In an effort to control his temper, Nilsen has turned to combat sports and as of 2400, he is trying different styles to find the one that is suited to him. So far this endeavour has been unsuccessful.
|Lhandon is a passionate enthusiast of sports cars spanning from the late 20th to the early/mid 21st century. This interest significantly influences the way he perceives and describes starships in flight. For instance, on one occasion, Nilsen once compared the USS Centris, a Nova class training vessel, to an MX5 sports car—a type of ship that, according to him, could perform sideways drifts around an asteroid field simply by kicking the nacelles out.
When he can get onto the holodeck, one of Nilsen's favourite programs revolves around a dramatised version of the Formula 1 championship that is based loosely of the 2020's. If Nilsen forms a strong bond or friendship with someone, he warmly extends an invitation to that person. This program also contains a co-op campaign in which two people may participate as drivers of their preferred team
Nilsen enjoys an overall positive relationship with his family, even if his environment growing up could be considered somewhat chaotic, with fights breaking out between siblings and then resolving in the blink of an eye. Lhandon is closest to his younger brother Kie'ran however as children, the two fought the most. Most of the family live on or near the farm, but Lhandon is the first to leave the planet for such an extended period. After Lhandon joined Starfleet Academy, his younger brother Madison left home and secured a role in law enforcement on Deep Space Nine. Lhandon's younger sister Isabella has expressed an interest in following in Lhandon's footsteps and maybe planning to join Starfleet.
Lhandon will try to get a message back home when he can, and enjoys the massive data drop he gets when all of the family will send their messages in one bulk transmission. His family are proud of him, particularly after his turned his life around after a spate of petty crime.
|Paternal Grandmother - TBC
|Paternal Grandfather - TBC
|Paternal Grandmother - Althea Nilsen
Althea Nilsen was a commander in Starfleet and was known her piloting skills. She would have been proud of Lhandon and overjoyed that he was a HCO 
|Maternal Grandfather - TBC
|Mother - Morgain Nilsen (née: Thompson)
|Father: Harold Nilsen
|Moganie Nilsen (née: Thompson) has chosen a career path that aligns with her innate desire to support and uplift others. She has a commitment to improving the lives of individuals and families, mirroring the values of empathy and service that she tried to instil in her children.
|Harold Nilsen has deep roots in the agricultural traditions of Gault. A farmer by trade, Harold has dedicated his entire professional life to the agriculture industry of Gault and was a key player during the Dominion War when Gault's reserves were opened up. His reserved and practical nature is balanced by a profound sense of pride in his family's heritage and a commitment to preserving their farming legacy for future generations.
|Older Sister - Sariah Nilsen
|Older Brother - Marcus Nilsen
|Sariah is the oldest sibling. She is often the one who keeps the remaining siblings in check. Sariah as found her calling as a social worker, following in her mother's footsteps.
|Marcus followed his father's footsteps and developed a deep passion for agriculture from a young age, thanks to his father's influence. He possesses a strong work ethic and a deep sense of responsibility, both to his family and to the land he cares for.
Marcus has steady and dependable nature. He's known for his reliability, level-headedness, and his ability to stay calm under pressure.
While Marcus had chosen a life dedicated to agriculture, his dreams are changing, he is considering that now may be the time to sell the Nilsen farm, and split the profits with his family. The other siblings are as of yet unaware of this plan, but he is expecting a negative reaction.
|Older Sister - Emilia Nilsen
|Younger Brother Kei'ran Nilsen
|Emilia Nilsen is a creative and outspoken person, known for her passionate opinions and artistic pursuits. She expresses herself through both painting and song. Emilia is an outspoken critic of Starfleet and her concerns can be summarized in five key points:
|Kei'ran is the most mischievous of the siblings and continues to work on the family farm. He possesses an infectious enthusiasm for life and a natural charm that draws people to him. His sense of humour is often described as irreverent. Kei'ran remains close to Lhandon however Lhandon is glad to be away from the pranks. Lhandon and Kei'ran did commit some minor crimes during Lhandon's pre-Starfleet days, these include trespassing and vandalism
|Younger Brother - Madison Nilsen
|Younger Sister - Isabella Nilsen
|Madison Nilsen is the twin of Isabella, and he is the most stoic and reserved of the Nilsen Siblings. He is a member of the Bajoran law enforcement and is currently stationed on Deep Space Nine. In 2399, Madison met and entered a relationship with Elys Varaan, a Bajoran Archaeologist. After this, Madison elected to move full-time to Deep Space Nine. Madison is the most reserved and most observant of the Nilsen siblings
|Isabella Nilsen is the twin of Madison. Isabella's ultimate goal is to become a chief engineer in Starfleet. She possesses a natural aptitude for engineering, often taking apart and reassembling mechanical devices on the farm when she was younger. She will be graduating Starfleet academy soon.
Friends and Relationship
|Overall Nilsen aims to have positive relationships with most of his crew despite his tempter. He has a tight friendship with a handful of crew members.
|Nilsen enjoys a very positive friendship with Toxin Arlill, a fellow HCO officer and roommate. Arlill and Nilsen met when they were assigned as roommates and the two quickly found a number of shared interests. This friendship grew quickly and Nilsen considers Arlill to be "just another brother" and Arlill's wellbeing is often at the forefront of his mind.
Arlill makes up one of the three members of the crew who retrofitted and modified the Taxalin Freighter known as the Foxy Lady and entered it into the Denali Invitational 2400
|Nilsen also has a good relationship with most of his crew including fellow HCO officer Simon Vomek with the two finding a shared interest in linguistics and piloting. The two met through Dr Kel who organised a pilot training program for the HCO's.
Vomek makes up one of the three members of the crew who retrofitted and modified the Taxalin Freighter known as the Foxy Lady and entered it into the Denali Invitational 2400.
Vomek has since been transferred to the USS Ronin
|Nilsen enjoys a very positive friendship with Tyber, the two finding a level of respect between each other. In 2400, Nilsen hyped Tyber up and helped him work through his nerves to ask Lina Dahlquist out.
Ensign Tyber has since left the Oumuamua
|The two met during the Esh-O mission in 2400 and Nilsen considers Maxwell to be a good friend and someone he can turn to when he needs words of wisdom, or someone who can taste test his latest culinary creation.
|While Nilsen does aim to have positive relationships with those he meets, sometimes things do not go as he planned.
|The two were in Echo Squad together and never got on, Blackwood is a by-the-books officer while Nilsen is a dive-in and worries about the paperwork later kind of officer. This sparked a rival between the two and at least one physical altercation between the two. This rivalry continued throughout their time in Echo Squad.
|Nilsen's relationship with Private O'Reilly is at best, uncomfortable. While the two of them are from the same planet, disagreements between their families is threatening to spill over into their work. The first meeting was not pleasant, while Nilsen did not recall the history between the two families at first, O'Reilly was antagonistic towards Nilsen as he soon learned of his fellow Gaultian
|As of 2400, Nilsen has at least one romantic relationship. In late 2400, Nilsen was attracted to a fellow crew member and has just recently (2401.01) expressed his interest in said crew member.
|Nilsen was aware of Elijah's posting with the two passing each other as lower deckers but it was not until Kovacs took a temporary assignment to Operations that Nilsen got to know Kovacs and a friendship was formed. Nilsen was first attracted to Kovacs at the start of the Alpha Brenkelvi II mission where both were assigned to the bridge. Nilsen found himself showing off somewhat and trying to make Ops seem like a place Kovacs would want to transfer to permanently.  Nilsen held on to his own attraction to Kovacs until he could process what he was feeling. These feelings developed over the course of his friendship but came to a head when he found Kovacs attacked by Dask in the cargo bay of Deep Space Nine by Dask Cronin. Nilsen rugby tackled Cronin to disarm him and in that moment realised that his actions which could be described as protective where in part to protect a friend, but also to protect someone he cares a lot about and would like to peruse a possible relationship with. When he came to this realisation, he first told Salo that he was going to ask Kovacs out, and the ensign at the time asked for advice on what to do. After taking her, Nilsen somewhat awkwardly asked Kovacs to join in with coffee, the two got along quite well and have agreed to meet up again. 
However, Nilsen is unaware the Lt Herrick also has a interest in Kovacs.
|(2396-2398) Nilsen's former boyfriend was training to be a marine at around the same time that Nilsen joined Starfleet Academy. The two connected at first over a shared love of photography. There relationships ended in 2398 as a consequence of Nilsen's crash and the media attention surrounding those events. 
|Commodore Ossa V'Airu
|Nilsen has a respectful and professional relationship with Commodore V’Airu and she is someone he looks up to . He has been seen seeking her guidance in challenging situations and responding to her instructions effectively during missions. In one instance, Nilsen expressed trust in V’Airu by accepting her hand in a mindscape scenario. Despite sometimes showing nervousness and allowing the commodore to be one of the few people who has seen the scared side of Lhandon, he demonstrates a willingness to learn under her command, seeking her guidance and advice when needed.
|Commander Etan Iljor
|Nilsen and Etan Iljor relationship started positively however this has become a strained relationship. Nilsen's reckless behaviour during the Denali Invitational led to a reprimand from Etan that has affected Nilsen deeply. . Nilsen regrets his actions and is seeking to mend his relationship with Etan. Despite this, Nilsen still admires Etan and seeks his approval.
|Initially, there was tension and misunderstanding between the two, with Nilsen feeling that Sherlock treated him with unwarranted suspicion. However, after an intense confrontation, they came to an understanding. Sherlock even acknowledged that Nilsen's "isn't that bad" even though she has one eye on him at all times.
|Nilsen admires Greaves and sees him as an influential figure and someone he looks up to. He's eager to interact more with Greaves and learn from his experiences.
Nilsen was born and raised on the farming world of Gault. He was a part of a large family with six siblings. Nilsen's upbringing, while stable, was chaotic. He would frequently fight with his brother Kei'ran. However, as both siblings entered adulthood, they found they had more in common than they realized.
As Nilsen entered his teenage years, he found that he had a natural talent for operational matters and keeping things organized on the farm. He took on administrative duties, managed logistics, and handled supplies. However, his heart and passion were in flying, and he would take every opportunity to take the family shuttle out on trips, which grew longer and longer.
Soon he developed an independent streak and would often bite off more than he could chew but as he reached 17, he found that he lacked a direction in life and entered a rebellious phase.
Fueled by a desire for excitement and a break from routine, Lhandon and his brother Kei'ran connected over a spate of petty crime, inculding tresspassing, joyriding, theft, and anit-socal behaviour. On several occuations he participated in a graffiti spree that left a mark on several public buildings in the local community, with both brothers venturing out under the cover of night.
However, he could see that this was a path that was not going to serve him well, and this was hammered home by both siblings being caught by their father trespassing on another farm, who did more to set him straight then any law enforcement officer.
Soon he needed a way out, and while he loved his home of Gault, he didn't see a future there, there was no space for him, his older brother would take care of the farm, and his other siblings would find their own paths. He learned that some years back, the Rozhenko family's adopted son joined Starfleet, but the details were fuzzy. In many ways, Nilsen saw Starfleet as his ticket off Gault, and he signed up as soon as he turned 18.
Nilsen tried to persuade Kei'ran to join Starfleet with him but was not successful.
Starfleet Academy (2396 - 2400)
During his training, he excelled in Operations but faced challenges with academic subjects like PHYS101 and BIO101. However, his exceptional operational skills and ability to keep things running smoothly more than made up for this.
Nilsen pursued a major in helm and navigation, with a minor in communications and operations. His soon earned an invitation to join Echo Squad, a specialized program for cadets focusing on search and rescue piloting operations.
Echo Squad (SARS Training Squad)
Nilsen was invited to join Echo Squad, A program for cadets who would be specialising in search and rescue piloting operations. Nilsen fitted in well and his flying style seemed to fit well and at the start of his second year it was suggested by the groups commander that he should start thinking about a leadership role in the squad. Nilsen agreed.
However, on stardate 239803.12, Nilsen plans took an unexpected turn. During a training flight with Echo Squad in Shuttle FH-421 in the Kuiper Belt, as part of "Tactics: Combat, Shuttles and Runabouts" his shuttle lost control and collided with another, resulting in a devastating crash into an asteroid.he impact was so intense that the bulkheads of the shuttle slammed around him. The shuttle became a wreck and was almost Nilsen's coffin The incident nearly led to Nilsen's expulsion, and rumors spread throughout the academy. .
This also lead to Nilsen relationship with Finn Johanas coming to an end, and a slowly growing rivaly with Harrison Blackwood turning into a full blown enemies.
She walked up to where the two other ensigns were already practicing moves and exchanging light blows. Being the security/tactical officer of the group, Kaito was the logical choice to emerge as victor in a physical altercation between the two young men. He was also taller than Harrison. However, while at the academy, Esma had heard "gossip" among some of the other cadets about an incident involving Harrison and a fellow cadet named Lhandon Nilsen. - Ensign Esma: Fists of Fury
Dismissed from Echo Squad due to the crash, Nilsen had to reconsider his career trajectory. Dropping his major in Helm/Navigation, he pivoted to the Operations (Ops) track. Given his farm upbringing, Ops suited him well, and he discovered a passion for the communication aspect of the HCO role. Building on this, Nilsen honed his language skills Though skilled at operations and communications, Lhandon couldn't shake his desire to return to the helm, and he quietly harboured the hope of one day getting to fly again.
It is because of this, that Nilsen gratuated as a qualified HCO officer rather then a dedicated Helm officer as he orignally planned.
USS Oumuamua (2400-2401)
Nilsen's first posting out of the academy was to the USS Oumuamua, as a helm, communications, and operations officer. On this posting, Nilsen has been working hard in the lower decks.
When he frist arrived on the USS Oumuamua in 2400 he met his roommate Toxin Arlill who he affectionately refers to as his "broroomy." and the two have since become inseparable. During his first assigment, he was called to the bridge by Lt Johnson and after working on refitting the mission pod with herself and Lt Jack Kessler; Commodore V'Airu gave him her blessing and he plioted the Oumuama safey through the Esh-o Micronebula. Afterwards Nilsen sucessfully helped to install and develop the new Operations Centre as a part of operation FORT. In the later half of 2400, Nilsen was invovled in providing angel support to the ground teams on Alpha Brenkelvi II. During this time, the Oumuamua was attack the an unknown source from the moon, Nilsen flew the Oumuamua to saftey by performing only the second recorded in-system warp in starfleet history.
However his time on the Oumuamua has not been without incident. Old issues, a chip on his shoulder and past failures all affect his present day relationships. According to Commander Etan "It was clear that Nilsen was a gifted and promising officer, but he kept getting in his own way." 
The Esh-o Micronebula
Nilsen's first mission aboard the Oumuama was described by Commodore V'Airu as "complex." While in the lower decks, Nilsen felt the full force of the nebula's effect and during this time wrote his resignation letter. 
During this mission, on Stardate 240008.03 Nilsen was called up to the bridge, and with Commodore V'Airu, he joined LT Jack Kessler and LT Sasha Johnson in retrofitting the mission pod from a tactical to a scanning functionality. It was during this refit that Nilsen expressed his worries and concern over the effect his crash had over his ability to do his job. Commodore Ossa V'Airu was witnessed as saying "That officer didn't make up my mind for me. I believe you deserve a chance." in response to Lhandon's worries about this sudden posting.
Nilsen: You’ve read my file? You saw that crash report? They said…the commander, my old instructor said I should never fly, he said that he’d tell every captain, every XO, every commander that I will ever have.
Any joy that Lhandon had felt was replaced with one of worry as the words of his old instructor started to replay in his head.
V'Airu: (with a brief shake of her head) That officer didn't make up my mind for me. I believe you deserve a chance.
Nllsen took the helm guided the Oumuamua through the micronebula and took evasive action after becoming suspicious of a handful of sensor readouts. Nilsen interrupted these as potently hostile contacts and took it upon himself to take evasive manoeuvres. 
Nilsen was involved with contact with the USS Nautilus, and facilitated communication with that ship. When the order was given to evacuate the USS Nautilus, Nilsen was able to free up resources to increase the efficiency of the operation.
Sometime after this mission, he admitted he wrote the resignation letter to Commander Etan Iljor  however he had yet to submit it.
Nilsen was award the Legion of Merit for his actions in this mission
Investigating Zet Activity In The Alpha Quadrant.
Ensign Nilsen and Lieutenant Arlill were assigned to a survey mission, this was a cover story to investigate the disappearance of Lieutenant Arlill's mother Fritea. The unsanctioned duo found her in Cardassian space hiding on a moon in that system with a Zet rebel. They transport Arlill's mother and the rebel to Zet territory to continue their covert mission and returned to the Oumuama safley
Denali Invitational 2400
Nilsen attended the Denali Invitational. This event started off positively and he quickly got to know Dekas, Araxxu Vahin and Mekor, learning more about Aurelian food. Nilsen entered with Arlill and Vomek in the Foxy Lady, a talaxian freighter. During the first leg of the race, all the contestants took off in a crowded field of 33 contenders, and a total of 8 Starfleet affiliated teams. Right off the bat, several teams kicked in their unique special attributes, including the Vela, a refurbished Caitian rescue craft which sprayed the entire field with Kryptilithium, a compound known to gum up impulse engines.
As the racers approached the city proper, preparing for a flyover of the city and the stadium where a large crowd was gathered to watch the race, one of the teams experienced engine problems and crashed in the forest on the outskirts of the city.
At the last minute, the crew of the Foxy Lady was able to mitigate some of the damage to the crashing ship with a tractor beam, probably saving the lives of the crew and inhabitants in the city.
Later in the race the Foxy Lady itself was damaged in an encounter with the large animals living in the Oort cloud around the system of Ring 42 and was assisted by both the Gott Speed and the Phelshant United pit crew, a vessel known simply as 'The Wharf'.
After a thrilling conclusion, the racers ended
- Gott Speed (Connor Dewitt, Nolen Hobart
- Ensigns Joyride (Ksivi-Sava, Madison Marsh, Corey Wethern)
- Gamma Glider (Avander Promontory, Roger Hartmann, TK Cabrillo) & Roxy's Foxy Lady (Lhandon Nilsen, Toxin Arlill, Simon Vomek) - collision at the finish line
- Allahayer (Oddas Aria)
- Amiteam (Nathan Richards) & ZD Stars Racing (Jelanna Zarax, Valin Dermont)
Unfortunately, the event was not his best showing and during the race he lost control of himself and allowed his anger to take over. He showed a disregard for his own safety and the safety of others. After the race, Commander Etan Iljor was unimpressed with him.
"Hearing the HCO’s voice made Iljor clench his jaw. After the man’s reckless disregard for safety during the recent Denali Invitational, Iljor had lost a lot of faith in the pilot. It was clear that Nilsen was a gifted and promising officer, but he kept getting in his own way: first at the academy, and now as a commissioned officer. He had been extraordinarily lucky to not have avoided serving time in the brig." Commander Etan Iljor - Into The Unknown
Alpha Brenkelvi II
Nilsen was expecting to spend the Alpha Brenkelvi II mission in the Operations Centre of the USS Oumuamua, providing operational and logical support to the await teams. Ensign Kovacs was joined him He was not expecting to take part in the anthropological discovery of the year. Shortly after the mission began Nilsen was summoned to the bridge by Lt.Sherlock and was advised to bring an engineer with him Upon arrival, Nilsen and Kovacs were tasked with rerouting power to the sensors, after this action, the bridge was able to get clearer readings from the surface of the planet and Nilsen was concerned by some of the scans he saw and had a sense that trouble was about to happen, 
Nilsen launched a class three probe and then worked with Lt Arlill who was on one of the two away teams to direct a structural integrity field at the device mounted on the shuttle Nichols. Moments later, Nilsen reported a "massive power build up" and attempted to maintain communication with the away team.  This was unsuccessful. After this, Kovacs stuttered by Nilsen stood by him as he got his words out and found his voice. Kovacs's suggestion of checking the comms of the other away team was a solid suggestion, unfortunately this too was unsuccessful.
The Oumuamua was then attacked by the moon of Alpha Brenkelvi II  and Nilsen took to the helm and began evasive manoeuvres. These had success but Nilsen incorrectly identified the shots as coming from the planet service, rather then the moon. When he was able to correct his mistake, his maneuver were more effective, however the barrage from the moon was relentless.  While evading, he was also trying to do damage control and direct the damage control teams. He knew that "they can go over via Deck 3 and drop down. The tubes are in a loop" to reach Commodore V'Airu who had been trapped and injured in the attack. While this was a good suggestion on his part, he would late be admonished by Winters for not staying in his lane. As he was evading, he suggested a course of action that would be unwise, this was a in system warp jump, with the destination being a short distance away and after giving the option to Sherlock, she gave permission for him to pull the manoeuvre, making Nilsen only the third helms officer in Starfleet history to successfully pull off this an in-system warp after Commander Dax & Colonel Kira Nerys, and Captain Picard  
When they were a safe distance away and no long in danger, Sherlock summon Nilsen, and Winters into the conference room to discuss the next steps, It was here where Winters admonished Nilsen for not respecting the chain of command, even if he was in the right He then also clashed with Winters again in the same meeting over the distribution of power reserves for the shields and weapons. This concluding with Winters telling him to stay in his lane and Nilsen's lack of respect for Winters and Sherlock grew
Nilsen was then instructed to return to the bridge, there he established an uplink with the probe and soon had the scanners working and picking up data from the planet .
Working from here
https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/search?q=after%3A2023-11-03%20before%3A2024-01-01 Current sim Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - He’s A Bright Kid.
Older content below. Rewrite above
The Alpha Brenkelvi II mission was not a simple assignment as originally anticipated. This mission was fraught with unexpected developments and encounters. It began with a simple objective: arrive, conduct scans and learn about the people who once called this planet home. The crew came across an orb of the prophets, a civilization they named the Spirits of the Deceased, and an ancient Bajoran civilization that had ascended to non-corporeal form
Commadner Etan's away team encountered an ancient Bajoran civilization that had ascended to a non-corporeal form, known as the Spirits of the Deceased, meanwhile Ensign Nilsen’s made first contact with an ancient Bajoran civilization that had ascended to a non-corporeal form. He allowed the Bajoran to use his body and voice to communicate with Starfleet while the Bajoran's kept his consciousness safe by placing it into the mindscape of his commodore.
The mission ended with Nilsen in Sickbay, recovering from the effects of his consciousness being removed from his body. The mission had lasting impacts for Nilsen, included a change in his mind's make up, the learning of a new lagunage in a rather painful fasion and a lignering form of self-doubt.
While he will never admit this, his actions and bullheadedness was in part to win back Commander Etan’s approval.
On Stardate 240010.16 was assigned to the helm to help provide overwatch support to the away teams on Alpha Brenkelvi II. In command was Lt Sherlock whom Nilsen has been clashing with recently and Marine Captain Michelle Winters.
Sometime after the mission began, the bridge lost contact with both away teams. While they were trying to re-establish contact with the away teams, they were attacked by an unknown force based on Alpha Brenkelvi II's moon. The Oumuamua takes damange and Nilsen, against regulation but with the blessing of Sherlock performs an in-system warp to quickly get the Oumuamua to safety and allow them to begin repairs.
Soon after repairs began, the Oumuamua bridge crew are contacted by what was described as ghosts. This appearances took the form of people the crew knew, for Nilsen, they took the form of his father wearing a leather jacket that reminded him of the 9th doctor from the show Doctor Who, this for Nilsen was a sign that these people could be trusted and his internal logic was that only those who really had good intentions would pick up on that detail.
When discussing the situation in the conference room, Nilsen slowly starts to see the patterns that are in place insisting that he becomes a part of the away mission that tries to make contact with this race.
Shore Leave 240012.27
This shore leave starts a few days before the end of the year on the USS Oumuamua, before transitioning over the to USS Octavia E Butler in February of 2401 after the damage sustained from the last mission and subsequent mission pod explosion meant that the Oumuamua had to be sent for an extensive repair and refit operation, Meanwhile, on a personal level, Nilsen is coming to terms with his previous actions and is seeking to make amends, while the side effects of the Alpha Brenkelvi II mission come into play with Nilsen experiencing language difficulties and horrendous pain.
USS Octavia E Butler (2401 - Present)
2401 was not just a new year, but also for Nilsen a new start with the commissioning and reassignment to the USS Octavia E Butler along with the majority of the crew from the Oumuamua. However, while others may have been celebrating the move, Nilsen was filled with a sense of anxiety; the sense that he didn't deserve his promotion and the lingering question. was Starfleet really the right place for him?
Service History & Award
|Starfleet Service Record
|Awards and Service Ribbons
Nilsen does not like the smell or taste of deka tea. Every time he smells it, he is reminded of the moment Commander Etan Iljor chewed him out.
Nilsen is left handed.
Nilsen is a fan of the Gault Guardains, a rugby team from his home planet that never seems to make it out of the lower leagues.
Lt Sherlock has given Nilsen the nickname "number 16", Nilsen is unaware of it's meaning.
Nilsen favourte genres of music are alt rock, indie and punk.
In additon to his music tastes, Nilsen is a Swiftie.
|NPC Listing · USS Octavia E Butler Crew Manifest · Crew History
- My name is Lhandon Joseph Nilsen. You hurt my friend, my erm…my…look I like this guy a lot alright, so shut up! - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/ie0W6-0hUbw/m/grpNkauHAQAJ
- Commander Rouiancet: Crises, Plural - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/IjEQhjXDPtU/m/a0UwV_p6BwAJ & Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Rain Check On That Talk? - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/R7s9wdSgtJo/m/kewz1-AkBwAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Ghosts are here! And here! And here! - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/MUpcYBqbkUQ/m/KQStN1AMAwAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - He’s A Bright Kid - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/pCUGewumZrA/m/d6foQWQEBQAJ
- Training Sim - This Is Fine
- JP: PVT Thomas O’Reilly, Nurse Miash & Ens Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Clandestine Cargo Bay Conferences - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/jMw0iHimdhw
- LtCol Wes Greaves - From Another Perspective - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/AOVgszuUt2E/m/iHB594ZzAQAJ
- Remnant of Chaos - Pt 5 - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/V7JQn8u9yZc/m/5Y9OqWCWAAAJ & Remnant of Chaos Pt. 6 - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/dj3rlkVV4rM/m/es791_CkAAAJ
- JP: LT JG Josh Herrick & Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen: Pasts That Haunt (Part 4) - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/xSjswzPrOW4/m/RvgmN0k6AAAJ
- The New Patient - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/search?q=%22The%20New%20Patient%22 What Is Good? - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/search?q=JP%20-%20Lt.%20Nesre%20Salo%20%26%20Ensign%20Lhandon%20Joseph%20Nilsen%20-%20What%20is%20good%3F
- JP: Ensign Lhandon Nilsen & Commander Etan Iljor: Nobody Expects the The Bajoran Inquisition - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/67XS3GAMXAU/m/geSefAQfAwAJ
- Commodore V'Airu & Commander Rouiancet: Passing the Torch, Part 6 - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/yDk1xW50e3w
- Lt. V'Len Kel , Ensign Landon Nilsen and Lt. Nesre Salo - The New Patient Part 2 - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/tGJ0BHgP03o/m/ADjuA82sAwAJ & Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - What’s Next For Me? I Don’t Know - I Think I Might Leave Starfleet - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/HqR2tJoEpIY/m/e1wVraNBAAAJ
- It Feels Wrong To Have These Memories! - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/IAbOTABTKJE
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - An HCO And An Engineer Walk Onto The Bridge - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/HXmpACs9Zos/m/jQhz0g21AAAJ Ensign Elijah Kovacs: Awkward - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/1qpUUEOdqRo/m/yGg7bXM8AQAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Acquired taste - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/AejtmPyHByA/m/yZ2E9aIxAwAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Trying Out This Reflection Thing - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/dQSIG3QtYpQ/m/iOSKrDkDAgAJ
- My name is Lhandon Joseph Nilsen. You hurt my friend, my erm…my…look I like this guy a lot alright, so shut up! - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/ie0W6-0hUbw/m/grpNkauHAQAJ Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - I Really Want To Ask You Something. - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/5CMaCR9yxfs/m/YRNRtTEOAQAJ Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Look, We Made A Friend - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/emI8HVuU26w/m/iP65KG8AAgAJ
- JP: Ens. Lhandon Nilsen & Lt. Nesre Salo - "Even his name is cute." - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/h_yQEwrPGRg/m/mu34WwoDAgAJ
- LTJG Lhandon Nilsen & Ensign Elijah Kovacs: Coffee - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-butler/c/uCQsaThM7C0
- JP: LTJG Josh Herrick & LT Nesre Salo: Processing the Past - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/BroqXuQ6_Zk/m/q5cuUUZoAQAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - You Always Did Have A Temper - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-denali/c/V9DvAHtICic/m/Yu_jIUBFCAAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Echo - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/UNTiLXM4Mys/m/HhJGLeIOAAAJ
- Commander Etan Iljor & Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Looking for Ihsehelm - Part 1 - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/6_anTawIw2A/m/lDiyI2NfAQAJ & Part 2 - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/eaxNh_7jT4I/m/hLbYQHBfAQAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Rain Check On That Talk? - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/R7s9wdSgtJo/m/kewz1-AkBwAJ
- JP: Ensign Lhandon Nilsen & Commander Etan Iljor: Nobody Expects the The Bajoran Inquisition - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/67XS3GAMXAU/m/geSefAQfAwAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - A Confrontation In Gold - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/WrFHL3hJfxc/m/P9H7pc3YCQAJ
- [SIDEBAR] Lt. Aine Sherlock - Heart To Heart - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/XU_eyFJt18o/m/vp7P6R6qAAAJ
- Lt. Aine Sherlock - Told You So - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/PtDNeAXf9Uw/m/AmB9y_4kAAAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - They are cool. - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/WrFHL3hJfxc/m/P9H7pc3YCQAJ
- JP: Cadet Nilsen, Cadet Blackwood, Cadet Williams - Echo Squad Pt.1 - The Breaking Point - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/nPxsWY8SRoQ & JP: Cadet Nilsen, Cadet Blackwood, Cadet Williams - Echo Squad Pt.2 - The Kuiper Belt - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/Y4yOolgjBcc
- Ensign Esma: Fists of Fury - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-amity/c/gC29OMdMfB0?pli=1
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - I’m just saying, let them show their cards first. - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/6tdU-hVT8EM/m/t8g5nzNvAAAJ & Lt.(jg) Dr. Toz: Ensign Mr. Babble gets a brain job - https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/-7sT003hd8Q/m/rdPog4JCAAAJ
- Commander Etan Iljor - Into The Unknown - https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/IvJJe4lUeho/m/iAv51K6tAQAJ
- Looking for Ihsehelm., Part 1., Part 2
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Up And Running - https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/9bTWc7gAaDY/m/9426lyAwAAAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - An HCO And An Engineer Walk Onto The Bridge - https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/HXmpACs9Zos/m/jQhz0g21AAAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - No boom -https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/10nO75oRsrg/m/oz1GNag3AQAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Nilsen Kicked Into Gear - https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/OgrbVpdhxKs/m/8AMKvOVdAQAJ
- ??????? - Intruders in Orbit - https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/88gzxTdDiXI/m/IdteMvKnAQAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Moving up and down, side to side, like a rollercoaster - https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/doMmyXubdMc/m/XvTR7bhDAgAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Talking Around A Table - https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/4S3PNXzeg6I/m/-GlzGhdpAwAJ
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Defiant's In-System Warp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBbfdxDk6U
- Picard Maneuver - https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Picard_Maneuver
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - Talking Around A Table - https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/4S3PNXzeg6I/m/-GlzGhdpAwAJ
- Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen - He’s A Bright Kid. - https://groups.google.com/u/5/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/pCUGewumZrA/m/d6foQWQEBQAJ
- Senior Chief Miash: Notes https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-oumuamua/c/Un8SNnDPg-w