Laudean Provincial Government
|This article or section needs to be be merged into Laudean/Government/History. (Discuss)|
|Please edit this page to migrate information from this page to the next.|
Prior to the Great Revolution, there were seven seperate Kingdoms which together made up "The Union" of Laudean's pre-civil war government.
The provinical governing system was actually more important to the population of Til'ahn than the federal government while in existance. While the federal government held the ultimate power over the planet, provincial kindoms held more sway over the day-to-day life of the Laudeans. As almost all those who participated as decision-makers in the federal government actually held their office "first" within their kingdom, it is important to understand the power hierarchy.
Seven kingdoms divide approximately 98% of the Til'ahn landmasses. The remaining 2% exists as unclaimed or uninhabitable lands, such as the northernmost tundra.
- Northern Alliance
- Kingdom of Devi
- Kingdom of Govinda
- Kingdom of Damodara
- Manaria United
- Kingdom of Manar
- Kingdom of Rania
- Kingdoms of Tanal & Bryque
- Kingdom of Tanal
- Kingdom of Bryque
Til'ahn is unique in that the power structure of all the seven major kingdoms was almost identical, while on other planets (such as Earth), nobility tended to vary across territories. It appears to historians that all Laudean nobility originates from one family line. Over 1500 years before first contact with alien races, the planet was split into 12 distinct kingdoms among the sons and daughters of one King. Throughout history, these 12 kingdoms merged to become 7.
The highest title held by any person within a kingdom was "King" or "Queen." The monarch had almost complete control over the lands -- restrained only by a council of Dukes, which had the power to depose the King, should he become too tyrannical.
"Duke" or "Duchess" was the next lower title, which controlled a "Duchy." Duchies were "owned" by the presiding Duke, and were bestowed by the King. There were 27 duchies when the Civil War began.
"Count" or "Countess" was the next lower title, which controlled a "County." As Counts were peers, and not nobles, they did not automatically own the county they controlled, although they may have owned personal property within a county. There were 108 duchies when the Civil War began.
"Baron" or "Baroness" was the next lower title, which controlled a "Barony." As Barons were peers, and not nobles, they did not automatically own the barony they controlled, although they may have own personal property within a barony. There were 729 baronies when the Civil War began.