|Memory 118 Guide •|
|This page or section is undergoing an expansion or major revamping.
However, you are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. Comments regarding possible improvements are welcome on the articles talk page.
Laudean Hand Gestures
Laudean culture has many gestures to indicate all kinds of ideas:
Wealth: Used to refer to an abundance of wealth. (See SIM)
The left hand is held out flat with the palm facing the ceiling. The right hand is closed into a fist and brought into contact with the palm of the other hand as if hammering it. The clenched fist is lifted it away, and unclenches until the fingers are splayed wide and the fingertips point towards the ceiling
Blits The officials have come up with a conversion (see SIM 155):
- 1 red Blit = 5 Federation Credits
- 1 blue Blit = 50 Federation Credits
- 1 green Blit = 100 Federation Credits
- January 1 - New Year - Terran
- January 29 - Day of Laughter- Laudean
- February 12 - Election Day - Laudean
- February 21 - President's Day - Federation
- March 2 - Revolution Day - Laudean
- April 15 - New Year - Laudean
- May 8 - Federation Day - Federation
- May 30 - Memorial Day - Federation
- July 1 - Arlid Aud (First King) - Laudean
- July 22 - Public Holiday - Laudean
- August 17 - President's Day - Laudean
- September 30 - Feldleser Hemish (Famous Feldleser) - Laudean
- October 21 - Duronis Day - Federation/Laudean
- November 5 - Velika Helen Day (Warp driver creater) - Laudean
- November 24 - Celebration of Peace - Federation
- December 7 - Archer's Day - Federation
- December 18 - Democratic Sunday - Laudean
Laudean Sports, Games and Entertainment
Futbash - is a game similar to baseball and soccer combined. It is played amongst trees and a field where each tree is similar to a goal and the basherbat is carried and used to move the ball like field hockey. The challenging point of the game is timing strategy. It is mostly played by advanced Fielders using several energy balls at once in rotating team exchanges. The team to have synced the energy balls into their opponents goal is the winner. The energy balls are moved by the bashers kicking the ball at the bashers with the basherbats and in turn they hit them together where they are combined into a larger energy ball.
- Hooy'di (Children's game)
The Circus has a series of acts featuring acrobats, dancers, clown-like displays, animals etc designed to produce as little in the way of artificial energy fields as possible.
- Loitering Within Tent - Account of a young Laudean having fun at the circus with his uncle and getting over the disappointment of being rejected from the school Futbash team.
Traditional Laudean Greetings and "Handshakes"
A man kisses, a woman is kissed; a lomale is ever changing.
Men greeting Men
If both parties are male they hold their hands outward with the palms up (similar to the traditional Vulcan gesture). They then touch the palms together.
Men greeting Women
If one Laudean is female and the other male the routine is the same, only after they touch palms the male Laudean kisses the woman on the cheek.
Women greeting Women
If both parties are female they touch palms (as above) and then both kiss one another on the cheek after touching palms.
After touching palms with the lomale, if the greeter is male he kisses the lomale on the cheek. If the greeter is female she accepts a kiss on the cheek from the lomale but does not kiss back. Lomales do not kiss each other.
Laudean Birthing Ritual
- The full-term of a Laudean pregnancy is five months.
- Care during pregnancy is imperative. The woman should drink at least two 4-oz cups of Minevra tea daily to control violent heaving and headaches. After the first month of the five-month term, she will need a Fielding to help her throughout the rest of the pregnancy because of the fetuses accelerated growth. Generally, this Fielding uses his/her Fielding powers to stimulate the woman's birthing muscular structure. This is done by the laying on of hands, and if not done at least every two weeks, complications from the birth put the mother at grave risk.
- Giving Birth is either done at the home, in a hospital, or at the home of a Mid-Wife.
- No medication is used. Instead the oil taken from a root called Derma is used.
- In all settings a Mid-Wife is present.
- The Mid-Wife is specially trained to use her Fielding power to sense the unborn child's life energy.
The Mid-Wife is in charge of the ritual and normally only her the mother and the father are present, and sometimes a Mid-Wife Apprentice will observe.
The mid-wife lights special sweet smelling oil incense that releases endorphins into the air, putting all in the room at ease. Next, the mother is propped up with pillows under her legs and back. Then the Derma is poured on the mother, which numbs the area, allowing the infant to exit smoothly. The Mid-Wife now begins to palpate around the womans middle to insure the baby is in the proper position. While doing this, she chants a poem in the Ancient Laudean language. The poem is lyrical and sounds like a lullaby; in fact the poem is about the first birth, according to Laudean creation myths. She continues to repeat the chant until the baby has emerged. The umbilical cord is then cut using a conventional laser scalpel. The Mid-Wife then blesses the baby by placing the symbol for welcome on the infant's forehead, bringing the ritual to a close.
- see Embassy Sim 114 as an example.