Ketar V is a Federation colony and a member of the Colonial Coalition. It is the oldest colony in the Coalition, and located in the Roxburgh Sector of the Shoals.
People say Ketar V was once the jewel of the region, but no one who actually would have seen the colony in its heyday is still alive. When the Mother Road was discovered at the turn of the century, Ketar V was effectively bypassed by merchants and traders as it was faster and safer to stay on the route onward to the next colony in the Colonial Coalition, Meridian. Since then, there have been countless turnaround plans and talk of renewal as its population continues to decline every year.
Still, Ketar V remains on the map as the second largest colony in the Coalition because of the shipyards that employ tens of thousands. They were constructed here long before the Mother Road and keep the local economy going. Nearly all of the civilian ships constructed in the Coalition come from Ketar V. The outreach of Ketar's construction reaches out far past the Shoals, however, as these civilian vessels are also used outside the Shoals, one having even been seen outside of Federation space and in active use.
Because of it's place away from the Mother Road and subsequent long distance away from fellow Colonial Coalition colonies, Ketar V is considered the safest place in the Shoals.
After the destruction of Romulus and Remus by the Hobus supernova in 2387, Romulan and Reman refugees were settled into the Shoals, including on Ketar V. By 2396, a modest but growing community had been established, and that year Tessara was elected as the first Romulan representative to serve within the colony's government.
Major Civil Rights Reforms and a New Path to Renewal
In early 2397, Federation Secretary of the Exterior Lily Ventu visited Ketar to help mediate talks between the Romulan/Reman refugees, represented by Tessara, and the colony's original settler population. Tensions had risen to dangerous levels between the two groups (including a raid in a Romulan district by the Colonial Coalition Marshals Service that inflamed into a near riot), but ultimately, Secretary Ventu was able to build an accord between both sides. Major legislation was passed to address inequalities and discrimination the refugees faced, and for the first time in nearly a century, the best days of Ketar lay ahead in its future and not behind in its past.
- Centennial City
- A settlement first founded to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the arrival of the planet’s first colony ship. The city is built on a high plateau that overlooks a valley to the west and is shadowed by a tall mountain range to the east. A section of the city, called "Romulan Town," is populated almost entirely by Romulan refugees. The city's main hospital is the Centennial City General Hospital (CCGH).
- Livernois Shipyards: One of the largest shipyards on the planet that employs thousands, the shipyards on the outskirts of Centennial city could be considered a settlement in it's own right. It is bustling with activity during change of shifts. The multi-level Administrative Offices of the shipyard is housed in a large building. Across from the building is "Welder's Diner", a well known burger restaurant that claims to be the "home to the Shoals' best burgers". It was also the location where three Starfleet officers were arrested (and subsequently cleared) after they tried to break up a fight between locals.
- The administrative capital of Ketar V. Once a cultural center of the Shoals, and sometimes called the "City of the Future," the city is now is a state of decay. The Ketar Medical Center, one of the city's largest buildings, is located here.
- Fire river of Lakosha
- The Lakosha Fire River is a rocky formation with a lava river that comes from the mountains to enter a subterranean cave system. The place is about sixty kilometers from Centennial city to the south east.
- First Colony Forest
- A forest located 100 kilometers from Centennial City. The "Rākauaraka" trees in the forest are mostly green with a tinge of orange, and stand over 30 metres high. From their roots grow out smaller trees around 5 metres each, on different angles to try and get their share of sunlight. A fourteen kilometer long graded path runs between "Centennial Lake" and the uphill "Chain of Streams" forest landmarks. Located along the path towards Chain of Streams is a cliff that is perfectly smooth and has a glittery purple glow. The forest is home to the Ketarian Panda. They are nothing like pandas on Earth, even though they look like miniature orange versions of them. They are very shy and can be tricky to spot. Ketarian Pandas eats roots and leaves.
Restaurants and Bars/Pubs
- The Settler’s Arms: A venue that pays tribute to the 21st Century Pubs on Earth. It had been designed to hold that classic pub feeling whilst still keeping up to date with the up and coming drinks. The menu is filled with traditional Lagers, Ales, Bitters and Stouts typical of a 21st Century Pub alongside the cocktails and then the New World section filled with new Spirits and drinks from other planets and more modern tastes.
- The Singing Shoals: A quiet Karaoke bar that has low patronage. Most of the few people that do visit The Singing Shoals never get up to sing themselves. It is currently managed by a Vulcan named Serran. The music is powered by a “K-Art-Int-oke” device, an ageing computer system designed to play Karaoke music and control the accompanying transparent holographic projection devices.
- The Explosive Decompression: A three story building houses this nightclub nestled between a Thai noodle house and a ramshackle sub-space communications station. Holographic advertising is splashed across the front of all three buildings. The holograms advertise the promise of exotic companionship and the cheapest alcohol in 12 parsecs. Some patrons have claimed that the venue smells of stale alcohol upon entry. It has a dark entry way that is usually manned by Nausicaan security personnel, and a cover charge is required to enter the venue. Inside, the walls and rafters are furnished in Bricka-brack and Trinkets from around the sector. On the right side of the room is an authentic cherba wood bar running 10 meters down the wall, with hundreds of bottles of colored liquids line four shelves behind the bar. It is a popular venue to watch live sporting events. In the back of the room is a stage that hosts various type of bands such as Andorian Thrash bands. A set of stairs wraps over the stage leading to the second level, where a balcony overlooks the stage. The bar is known as a haven for fights, and the CCMS are called upon regularly. The dead body of Starfleet officer Lieutenant Commander Armin Illanos was found in an alleyway adjacent to the building, near the staff entrance.
- The Crowded Star: An expensive fine dining restaurant specializing in poultry dishes that struggles for repeat patronage. It was originally opened by Chef Jock Donovan who mysteriously disappeared, until it was found later that he was working for Henley Marths on the SS Wildfire. The ultimate fate of Chef Donovan is unknown.